Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,843 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? (34515 Views)

The Harmful Effects Of Sleeping In A Bra..every Woman Must Know This / Ebonyi Tops In VVF/ Vaginal Fistula Disease Cases Nationwide - USAID / Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by tuoyoojo(m): 3:20pm On Mar 10, 2015
Besides making themselves feel fresher, women say they douche to get rid of unpleasant odors, wash away menstrual blood after their period, avoid getting sexually transmitted diseases, and prevent a pregnancyafter intercourse.

Yet, health experts say douching is not effective for any of these purposes. They also warn that it can actually increase the risk of infections, pregnancy complications, and other health problems.

What is douching?
The word ''douche'' is French for ''wash'' or ''soak.'' It is a method to wash out the vagina, usually with a mixture of water and vinegar. Douches that are sold in drug stores and supermarkets contain antiseptics and fragrances. A douche comes in a bottle or bag and is sprayed through a tube upward into the vagina.

What are the advantages of douching?
Some women say douching makes them feel cleaner. There is, though, very little scientific evidence of benefit from douching. The rare positive research that does exist often has a downside. One study found that douching during the six months before pregnancy reduced the risk of pre-term delivery. However, in that same study, douching during pregnancy was linked to an increased risk of pre-term birth.

What are the disadvantages of douching?
Overall, the risks of douching far outweigh the benefits. Here are just a few of the problems linked to douching:

Vaginal infections (bacterial vaginosis): Douching upsets the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina (called vaginal flora). These changes make the environment more favorable for the growth of bacteria that cause infection. Studies have found that women who stopped douching were less likely to have bacterial vaginosis. Having bacterial vaginosis can increase the risk of preterm labor and endometriosis.

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID): PID is an infection of the uterus, fallopian tubes, and/or ovaries. Research has found that women who douche may have a 73% higher risk of getting PID.

Pregnancy complications: Women who douche more than once a week have more difficulty getting pregnant than those who don't douche. Douching may also increase the risk of ectopic pregnancy by as much as 76%. With an ectopic pregnancy, the embryo implants outside the uterus. The more a woman douches, the greater the risk of having an ectopic pregnancy.

Cervical cancer: Douching at least once a week has been linked to a possible increased chance of developing cervical cancer.

So in a nut shell, washing with water alone is more than enough

http://www.webmd.com/women/guide/vaginal-douching-helpful-or-harmful

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by Yustash001(m): 3:40pm On Mar 10, 2015
*lips sealed*

1 Like

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by marc99(m): 8:10am On Mar 11, 2015
Douch, but don't douch frequently.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 11, 2015
I don't douche, All you have to do is wash your V with water and unscented soap.

10 Likes

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by Oildichotomy(m): 8:11am On Mar 11, 2015
Washing with water is enough?? Not even with soap!
"Natural balance of bacteria in the vagina (Vagina flora) shocked"??

I think I should stop this thing I do with my tongue lipsrsealed -- It's high time

Don't need no flora hanging on my teeth! grin

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by DrPrickson: 8:11am On Mar 11, 2015
And you call somebody a douch bag ? ? ? What an insult.

11 Likes

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by uchebest2006(m): 8:13am On Mar 11, 2015
HMMMM
Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by ShakurM(m): 8:13am On Mar 11, 2015
Douchebag

1 Like

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by martincbarton: 8:13am On Mar 11, 2015
Whatever....
Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by GovWahala: 8:13am On Mar 11, 2015
Girls better douche or get a better alternative to make down there clean for us

2 Likes

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by snowland(m): 8:13am On Mar 11, 2015
Dont know anything about VeeVee cos I'm a guy. ANd na Opa Irumole I get. Good writeup though.

2 Likes

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by Cammo: 8:14am On Mar 11, 2015
Hmm lipsrsealed
And when the post was made by a man, instead of a woman
Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by TeGaTeGa1(m): 8:14am On Mar 11, 2015
Abeg tel dem jor...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by gucciangel(m): 8:14am On Mar 11, 2015
Very true actually! using antiseptic to wash down dia kills the normal flora which inhabit the vagina.
Note: they are not pathogenic but of importance...
OP well done

2 Likes

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 11, 2015
just in case need 4 comments arises later. lol
Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by misspee1(f): 8:15am On Mar 11, 2015
Na was ooo....... shocked
Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 11, 2015
Iya mulikhat, oya talk to ur daughter
Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by Bryancrox(m): 8:16am On Mar 11, 2015
Douching is allowed. But they should soak it with jik and wash wit Harpic and see d wonderment of Harpic.
Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by Misogynist2014(m): 8:17am On Mar 11, 2015
I've bought this land and I have my C of O, no one can take it away from me.

Douching ko, doughnut ni angry.

7 Likes

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 11, 2015
Cool

Douching iz very very bad.wash with water and unscented soap please .Trim your pubic hair with scissors. Treat infections immediately and above all, maintain good personal hygiene.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by kowema(f): 8:17am On Mar 11, 2015
Is Femme Fresh safe?...I use that

2 Likes

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by youptel: 8:18am On Mar 11, 2015
really?
Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by Mazdell: 8:18am On Mar 11, 2015
Which one do I believe now?
Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by Calebosko(m): 8:18am On Mar 11, 2015
story dat hard d dick

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by soldierdollar(m): 8:18am On Mar 11, 2015
All these vaginal topics making front page ... Diariz Goduoo
Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by EddyNumerouno(m): 8:18am On Mar 11, 2015
However suggest an alternative cos no thing's a bigger turnoff than a fishy smelling kitty

searching4love:
undecided
MOST NIGERIAN GIRLS ARE GUILTY OF TOXIC VAGINA STENCH AND IT'S INDEED A SORRY CASE THAT DESPITE ALL THEIR HUGE MAKEUP THEIR PUBIC REGION IS AS SMELLY AS A PIT TOILET. THE REASON FOR THIS IS THEIR DIRTY NATURE, MULTIPLE MEN THEY SLEEP WITH, WEARING THE SAME PANT FOR 3 DAYS AND URINATING WITHOUT CLEANING WITH WATER. TO FIND A NIGERIAN GIRL WHO IS ODOUR FREE IS LIKE SEARCHING FOR A PIN IN THE OCEAN. THIS IS WHY I DON'T LOOK THEM TWICE AND I HOPE THOSE WOMAN WRAPPERS WHO FIGHTS FOR THEM WILL AT LEAST HAVE SOME SENSE AND ADMIT THE TRUTH. ADVICE YOUR GIRLS TO IMPROVE THEIR HYGIENE AND STOP SMELLING LIKE A RAT CORPSE undecided
#team foreign girls cool

BTW, I can bet my 2kobo your mother is Nigerian grin grin grin

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by daveman144: 8:19am On Mar 11, 2015
If they douch problem. If they dont douch problem. Which way naija.

But how does that affect the price of garri in the market.
SAI GEJ
Re: Vaginal Douching: Helpful Or Harmful? by free2ryhme: 8:20am On Mar 11, 2015
grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 Newborn Babies Die In Sapele Central Hospital, Delta. Doctor ‘Found Drunk’ / Woman Slumps & Dies In Plateau Hours After Hearing News Of Her Only Child Death / Help : I Underwent Appendectomy, I Haven't Been The Same Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.