Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,440 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas (28616 Views)

This Guy Celebrates His Mum Who Sold Food By The Roadside For 30 Years / Baby Abandoned In The Bush 2 Weeks After Birth Now Named Oluwapelumi / 3-Day-Old Baby Abandoned In Front Of A Church In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by oludashmi(f): 6:13am On Mar 11, 2015
A two-day old baby abandoned by the roadside on Sunday has been named after a late businessman and philanthropist, Molade Okoya-Thomas.

It was gathered that the baby was first sighted around 4pm at Marina, close to Wema Bank Plc. He was later picked up by a Good Samaritan who runs a non-governmental organisation in Lagos.

The baby, it was learnt, was subsequently taken to the family support unit of the Nigeria Police Force, Adeniji Adele Division. From there, he was on Monday handed over to the Lagos State Government who had since taken responsibility for the child.

Speaking on the incident, the President of Afribaby Initiative, Dr. Oscar Odiboh, the man who found the baby, explained that he got a call and acted promptly to save the baby.

He said, “I got a distress call on Sunday that a baby had been abandoned by the roadside at Marina. I left everything I was doing and rushed to the scene.

“While I was heading for the scene, I contacted the police and some medical personnel to be on standby. On getting there, I discovered that the baby was abandoned inside a kiosk. People were gathered and just watching, cursing the mother. Nobody dared to go near the baby. A few minutes after I got there, the police arrived and I was allowed to carry the baby. We took him to the station and I handed him over to the family support unit of the police at the Adeniji Adele Police Station.”

When asked on how he came about the name Okoya-Thomas for the baby, he said the whole idea was to immortalise the late philanthropist, who was passionate about child support.

He said, “Knowing that the police would transfer the baby to the appropriate government agency, and in order to create an identity for the baby, I decided to name him after Chief Okoya-Thomas.

“Coincidentally, I was wearing one of his burial attires on that day and the baby, who we have adjudged to be about two days old, might have been born the same day our he was buried,” he added.

A police officer in the family support unit of the station, where little Okoya-Thomas was taken to, told our correspondent that the baby was now with the Office of Youth and Social Development and asked our correspondent to direct his enquiries there .

An official in the office, who identified herself as Idowu, the Child Protection Officer, confirmed that the baby was brought on Monday and had been handed over to an orphanage.

When asked for the name of the orphanage Okoya-Thomas was transferred to, she said, “The baby is doing very well and has been transferred to an orphanage. Sorry I can’t tell you more than that for now.

“We have our procedure. Once a child is in government custody, we dont disclose information about that child.”

http://www.punchng.com/metro-plus/baby-found-by-roadside-named-after-okoya-thomas/

4 Likes

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by GboyegaD(m): 6:22am On Mar 11, 2015
Some mothers are heartless. If you are not ready to take responsibilities for your actions then zip up.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by enoqueen: 6:22am On Mar 11, 2015
Waoh!

I can't imagine what some people are going thru just to get a child.

lord have mercy.

5 Likes

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by bewla(m): 6:24am On Mar 11, 2015
may the gods of our land take u to greater height

5 Likes

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by asadike(f): 6:38am On Mar 11, 2015
See somebody's nine mths suffering, probably a future governor abi na president abandoned just like that? Some women they try o.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by Caseless: 6:44am On Mar 11, 2015
U mean people around that useless woman never raised alarm when her pregnancy disappeared and no baby in her hand? Something is amiss herer.

1 Like

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by echobee(f): 7:08am On Mar 11, 2015
Heartless woman angry.

3 Likes

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by AnOlAd: 7:09am On Mar 11, 2015
Wow. ...But wait WHAT WITH THE OKOYA THOMAS NAME?? # CONFUSED.. In between Baby... You will do well... You will be blessed... You have started finding favour with God and Men and it shall not cease... Because some other child would have died in 6 hours. . But you waited 2 days? ?? Show that beast of a Mother you are here to stay and You are Akanda Eniyan ti ko se n pa... See you on top OKOYA Thomas...

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by kowema(f): 7:33am On Mar 11, 2015
The mother wud just be by d corner watching and taking note.......25 years later, she wud show up like some evil night mare in the child's life n start causing trouble...I feel God is just too calm sometimes

9 Likes

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by steffans(m): 10:37pm On Mar 11, 2015
Chai...
In few years time.. The mother will be moving from one church to the other looking for fruit of the womb... With an innocent man as her husband...
-*just thinking out loud *

3 Likes

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by Vicjustice: 10:37pm On Mar 11, 2015
[size=20pt]THE EVIL THAT WOMEN DO LIVES AFTER THEM[/size]
www.babefishing.com, the ideal Nigerian free dating site. Click now: www.babefishing.com

1 Like

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by countsparrow: 10:38pm On Mar 11, 2015
Too bad...
Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by mcdokwe(m): 10:38pm On Mar 11, 2015
Hmmm
Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 11, 2015
Cool
Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by MillionDollars: 10:39pm On Mar 11, 2015
lol.
Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by Adyrin(m): 10:39pm On Mar 11, 2015
In this age?
Abandon baby?
Haba!!!!
Some ppl sha....
Some are crying for just a miscarriage while others are abandoning the fruit of d womb!

God save us all!

1 Like

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by BeeBeeOoh(m): 10:39pm On Mar 11, 2015
Na tonda go faya that aunty idi amin finish in the nearby future when she go don marry & she go begin ask God for the fruit of womb..

1 Like

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by mosho2good: 10:39pm On Mar 11, 2015
Nigeria I tire for dis country oooooooo
Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by Oildichotomy(m): 10:40pm On Mar 11, 2015
The name of a late billionaire for new-born babe

Call that reincarnation, you are not out of place

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by Nobody: 10:40pm On Mar 11, 2015
angry Heartless mother why would you abandon a baby by the ROAD SIDE...

thumbs up to the man

1 Like

Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by Nobody: 10:40pm On Mar 11, 2015
Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by englishmart(m): 10:40pm On Mar 11, 2015
enough reason our teenagers must keep their legs in one place
Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by englishmart(m): 10:41pm On Mar 11, 2015
mosho2good:
Nigeria I tire for dis country oooooooo
it happens everywhere
Re: A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas by ratchetwrench: 10:43pm On Mar 11, 2015
Things like this happen in a society that have bad governance and masses standard of living is abysmal

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Husband Starves Me Of Sex – Pregnant Wife Tells Court / Obituary Of Family Of 6 Killed By Generator Fume In Port Harcourt / Nigerian Lady Who Was Told She Couldn't Give Birth Again, Gives Birth To Twins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.