Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:01 PM

Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo (53901 Views)

Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos / Oyinbo People Greet Ooni Ogunwusi At A Get-Together In New York.Pics / Etymology Of Yoruba Greetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 2:44am On Mar 18, 2015
In Yoruba mythology, where did Oduduwa come from? He fell from the sky?? Pure mythology. Science has proven that nobody is able to fall from the sky. Now, where did Oduduwa come from into ancient Yoruba territory? Yoruba mythology has failed to answer this question.

Bini historians have the answer. Ekaladerhan (named Oduduwa by Yorubas) was a bini man who, about to be executed, escaped into yoruba territory, Yorubas saw him, named him 'oduduwa' and assumed him to have 'fallen from the sky'. Whatever happened to Ekaladerhan before journeying into Ife territory, the Yorubas do not know. They have no idea but the Binis have the real story.

The Yoruba history is mythology and is incomplete (it doesn't explain where actually 'oduduwa' came from) but the bini story is based on reality and answers questions the yoruba myth has failed to answer.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 2:45am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

By Prince Akenzua himself: grin

All these centuries the Benin folks just discovered Ekalederhan while they faithfully took the heads of their dead obas to Ife?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 2:51am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:
In Yoruba mythology, where did Oduduwa come from? The sky?? Pure mythology. Science has proven that nobody is able to fall from the sky. Now, where did Oduduwa come from into ancient Yoruba territory? Yorubas have failed to answer this question.

Bini historians have the answer. Ekaladerhan (named Oduduwa by Yorubas) was a bini man who, about to be executed, escaped into yoruba territory, Yorubas saw him, named him 'oduduwa' and assumed him to have 'fallen from the sky'. Whatever happened to Ekaladerhan before journeying into Ife territory, the Yorubas do not know.

The Yoruba history is mythology and is incomplete (it doesn't explain where actually 'oduduwa' came from) but the bini story is based on reality and answers questions the yoruba myth has failed to answer.

Oya was the wife of Sango, she is idolised by the river Niger according to Yoruba mythology. Does it mean she didn't exist or she actually turned to a river?
I think the Benin folks are just trying to exploit the myth for reasons other than history.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 3:17am On Mar 18, 2015
Aigbofa:

Oya was the wife of Sango, she is idolised by the river Niger according to Yoruba mythology. Does it mean she didn't exist or she actually turned to a river?
I think the Benin folks are just trying to exploit the myth for reasons other than history.

I don't think they are exploiting the myth for any reason whatsoever. They established and ran a much mightier kingdom than Oyo or Ife, with influence extending to as far as Eko (Lagos). Such a dominant power won't be won't exploiting the myth I think.

Truth be told, let us reason as educated adults that we are: nobody is able to fall down from anywhere. Definitely not from the sky. Ife civilization came into fore around the 12th century. Or maybe you're thinking that humans were not existing before Ife came into existence. Mind you, humans had already been existing in the world long before that (Yoruba mythology would want to have you believe the world and civilization started with the 'landing of oduduwa from the sky' in 12th century when people had been existing long before that. Nri civilization is dated to the 9th century) - the egyptians from as early as 3000BC, The Moors, The Romans, The Greeks etc had already been in existence before the earliest Yoruba civilization in the 12th century. Definitely, 'Oduduwa' must have ventured into ancient Yoruba territory from anywhere around them and the binis say it was their son Ekaladerhan whom the Yorubas named 'Oduduwa'. The Binis and Yorubas did have relations, however the frivolous attempt to downplay the Edo contribution to Yoruba civilization is historical hishonesty.

Needless to say,the Bini story is complete in itself as it answers basic questions the Yoruba mythology has failed to answer.

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Adeyinka12(m): 8:08am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

It is just like asking me to break down the word, 'biko' in Igbo language when it is already a word on its own that means 'please', or break down 'chair' in English language into 'cha + ir' syllables. Note that, the Urhobo also use 'biko' for please.

Dude or Madam, it is a word on its own in Igbo that simply means 'light skinned person', whether light-skinned Igbo or European.

Don't get me wrong. It has not been established who copied the word from each other. The fact that the word is used amongst the Igbo, Edos and Yorubas points to a common ancestral origin for these ethnic groups. However, the massive use of 'oyibo' all over southern Nigeria (Igbo, Igala, Edo, Urhobo, etc) and 'oyinbo' exclusively amongst the Yorubas shows that 'oyibo' might be the original word from the common ancestor, with Yorubas adding the 'n' nasal sound in line with its language nasal feature. Yorubas attaching the 'honey + peel' meaning to 'oyinbo', which happens to be coincidence, by the way, and breaking it into smaller syllables is a ploy against the obvious. Don't forget Yoruba is a nasal language. Below is a classic example of an original Igbo word, 'nwa nti nti' (which means 'very small' in Igbo) corrupted to 'wan tin tin' (adding of the 'n' sound as usual) by Yorubas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QPAx8UP2kU

In 2 generations to come, Yorubas growing up to speak 'wan tin tin' might want claim it to be Yoruba and Igbos copying it from Yorubas. History repeating itself.

Now, academic proof so far has shown the usage of 'oyibo' in Igboland to as far back as the 18th century i.e 300 years ago. This is the 21st century (to remind those who have lost track of time). Academic proof of the Igbo dispenses any false claims of 'From Yoruba' adoption of the word. If for anything, it proves the Igbo have been using 'oyibo' for at least 300 years back in time. Need I remind you that the Nri civilization (9AD) is, at least, 200 years older than the earliest Yoruba civilization -Ife, and 400 years older than the Oyo civilization (14AD).
watintin is not yoruba word at all.yoruba have the word tintin-ni means something very small ,with the word eko,not only lagos bear the name.we have eko ehinde,eko ajala and lagos is really eko akete.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Adeyinka12(m): 8:31am On Mar 18, 2015
pazienza:
Egwusi(Egusi) a Yoruba word? My eyes have seen my ears. At this rate,Okro would become a Yoruba word too.

By the way, Garri is an hausa word.
like i said early egusi is yoruba word we even have is seed called agusi,and egusi have many type.that of garii ,hausa don't prepared garii talkless of having the name garii.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 8:37am On Mar 18, 2015
Aigbofa:

jst like oduduwa, oya, sango and many other names are in two folds - cosmology and history

The Oya u speak of, wife of King Sango was actually a devotee to the Goddess Oya..her name was Oyamakinde(Oya has brought the brave one) as they say in Ira - her hometown

So when someone tells you about oduduwa coming from the sky, note: that's not a reference to the Olufe but to the creator God, this oduduwa is even female in many parts of Yorubaland

most Great ancestors are immortalised by giving them names of pre-existing deities or renaming the deities after them

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by pazienza(m): 12:31pm On Mar 18, 2015
Adeyinka12:
like i said early egusi is yoruba word we even have is seed called agusi,and egusi have many type.that of garii ,hausa don't prepared garii talkless of having the name garii.

Egusi and Garri are not Yoruba words, that's my opinion and the opinion of most Igbos. You are entitled to your own opinion,just like me.

Melon seed is called mkpuru egwusi in Igbo, but written as mkpuru egusi, just as Enugwu is written as Enugu.

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Adeyinka12(m): 1:12pm On Mar 18, 2015
pazienza:

Egusi and Garri are not Yoruba words, that's my opinion and the opinion of most Igbos. You are entitled to your own opinion,just like me.

Melon seed is called mkpuru egwusi in Igbo, but written as mkpuru egusi, just as Enugwu is written as Enugu.
in your own opinion ? i know you will disagree,garii and egusi is yoruba words,you said hausa own the word garii,not at all.hausa don't produce garii they buy from us .if you talk of suya that is confirm hausa word and that of egusi you make me laugh.egusi is yoruba words,as i said earlier yoruba have the seed called egusi and is soup also call egusi or egusi soup/obe egusi ,you borrow it from the yorubas
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ladionline: 1:22pm On Mar 18, 2015
pazienza:

How did the Igbos come about the plant so called? I believe some words are currency words, as is Egusi. Theyve been everywhere and there present. The Yoruba have a similar word to Egusi in, Elegushi. Its an ancient word meaning 'one capable of crush opening'. Egusi is from 'Egu' crush, 'Si' open.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 3:04pm On Mar 18, 2015
Adeyinka12:
in your own opinion ? i know you will disagree,garii and egusi is yoruba words,you said hausa own the word garii,not at all.hausa don't produce garii they buy from us .if you talk of suya that is confirm hausa word and that of egusi you make me laugh.egusi is yoruba words,as i said earlier yoruba have the seed called egusi and is soup also call egusi or egusi soup/obe egusi ,you borrow it from the yorubas

Dude, garri and egwusi are not yoruba words. Do some research and get your facts straight. Will you claim Ogbono and Okro too?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 3:10pm On Mar 18, 2015
ladionline:
How did the Igbos come about the plant so called? I believe some words are currency words, as is Egusi. Theyve been everywhere and there present. The Yoruba have a similar word to Egusi in, Elegushi. Its an ancient word meaning 'one capable of crush opening'. Egusi is from 'Egu' crush, 'Si' open.

@bold...that is the grave error you are fond of making. Always thinking you can claim ownership to a word by breaking it down into syllables you think that makes sense to you. In Igbo, it is pronounced 'egwusi' and 'egwusi' only. No variation whatsoever. The lack of double consonants in English makes the spelling 'egusi' in English. The fact that you have the word - 'elegushi' for egwusi exclusively amongst the Yoruba shows that you might have adopted 'egusi' into the language just as you adopted 'ogbono', 'oha', 'okro', etc.

Ngwa, please give me the break down of 'yoruba' in yoruba language? undecided
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Adeyinka12(m): 3:15pm On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Dude, garri and egwusi are not yoruba words. Do some research and get your facts straight. Will you claim Ogbono and Okro too?
i can't claim what is not my own,ogbono is igbo soup name and that of okro is ila in yoruba.there nothing like research this is reality
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 3:17pm On Mar 18, 2015
Adeyinka12:
i can't claim what is not my own,ogbono is igbo soup and that of okro is ila in yoruba.there nothing like research this is reality

I'm glad you are aware of that.

Egusi is elegushi in Yoruba, right?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Adeyinka12(m): 3:26pm On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I'm glad you are aware of that.

Egusi is elegushi in Yoruba, right?
elgushi is a name of place and egusi is a soup the other hand. Egusi and garii is a yoruba words no Doubt about it
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 3:35pm On Mar 18, 2015
Adeyinka12:
elgushi is a name of place and egusi is a soup the other hand. Egusi and garii is a yoruba words no Doubt about it

Of course I know its a place name in Lagos.

LOL! Proof of evidence?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 3:42pm On Mar 18, 2015
Adeyinka12:

I had to pull this post from a Yoruba from 2 years back:

2mch:
Egusi is Yoruba. It is called Egunsi, Egusi, Elegusi. Ogbono = Apon in Yoruba. Okro= Ila (Okra/Okro is the English name). We also have bitterleaf which grows all over the SW its called Effirin.We own these things. Your soups are Ofe nsala and two others most people have never seen or heard of except on NL. The most popular Igbo food is the goat head peppersoup. Igbo's in Lagos copied and redid our food. No one can cook Egusi or Apon like Yoruba's. That receipe is tha bomb. If a Yoruba woman cooks for you, walahi, you go forget your name. That is why all the buka sellers only sell mostly Yoruba food. Our food is so delicious and highly sought after. grin. Until you have tried Efo elemi meje, you have not survived or lived. tongue
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Adeyinka12(m): 4:09pm On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I had to pull this post from a Yoruba from 2 years back:

your point.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 4:29pm On Mar 18, 2015
Adeyinka12:
your point.

Observe the part in bold.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ladionline: 4:54pm On Mar 18, 2015
Emi nyan fanda fanda l'oju apegan, bi opolo ti nyan l'oju elegusi, elegusi o gbodo yi lata: oro re o. I walk with head up before a disgracer, like the toad before an Egusi Chef, the toad must not end up in recipe.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Adeyinka12(m): 5:35pm On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Observe the part in bold.
yes nah .o boy you don't have any clue. Rgusi is yoruba word.i don't see you talk on that of garii too.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 6:50pm On Mar 18, 2015
Adeyinka12:
yes nah .o boy you don't have any clue. Rgusi is yoruba word.i don't see you talk on that of garii too.

That's your opinion anyway. You have no proof.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 8:04pm On Mar 18, 2015
Adeyinka12:

Probably one of those ancient words that have survived in both Igbo and Yoruba vocabulary

Yoruba language is strong and easy for a well knowledge Yoruba speaker to figure out it's etymology - ladi has already pointed out the etymology of the word
we say Egushi, Egunsi, Egusi
Note: Akan call it Agushi
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Adeyinka12(m): 9:05pm On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

Probably one of those ancient words that have survived in both Igbo and Yoruba vocabulary

Yoruba language is strong and easy for a well knowledge Yoruba speaker to figure out it's etymology - ladi has already pointed out the etymology of the word
we say Egushi, Egunsi, Egusi
Note: Akan call it Agushi
oga ade you don't have any prof,he said egusi,egushi,egusi with no different in pronounciation.as i said ealier yoruba have the seed call egusi with different type,we have :egusi bara,egusi papa, egusi itoro and egusi aije. And you personally haven't provide me any clue since.and that of garri i'm still wating oo. This is reality oooo
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by makazona(m): 8:31am On Mar 19, 2015
macof:

Look the guy is not making sense and I question ur intentions for hailing his (I repeat) crap

Disrespect people? Look who's talking...the guy has been insulting over 40million people and displaying his utter ignorance and I shouldn't let him know that he's making a nuisance of himself?

there's nothing wrong with tribalism...bigotry is the problem.
his point wasn't making sense but you wanted to make joy out of his insults and false assertions and hailed him...if u aren't bigot you wouldn't do that and hypocritical come here advising against "disrespect"

No i get it.everybody is wrong and u are right.isnt it?
Other person's points are craps while urs are wisdom from heaven?

i know ur type bro.my advice: Learn to take aside bias while discussing with people.talk with open mind and decent language.admit when u are wrong.

go ahead with tribalism.lets see where it takes u

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 3:57pm On Mar 19, 2015
Aigbofa:

Ignorance? Why was the heads of dead Benin Obas buried in Ife? Another myth? Maybe the Benin folks just love to bury the heads of their dead obas in foreign lands.
I would wager you just make up your own history as you go along.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200405100888.html

@ Aigbofa - This is a pure Yoruba creation to score cheap point. cheesy

I remember when you Yorubas created this fathom 'news', immediately you guys started spreading it online like wildfire. Only YORUBAS!!!

Now let's talk about this a bit...

Haba! Even the most stupid secondary school student will clearly decipher this as a fraud and INCOMPLETE.

Let me ask you YORUBAS some questions:

1) Where is the picture of the so-called prince?

2) What is his full name and position? Just Prince Michael ISEDE? But there is no prince in Benin bearing this name. And isn't it curious this fellow has no single profile online

3) Was this an interview? If yes, how can an interview be a mere 2 paragraphs? And without the picture of the fellow being interviewed? Who interviewed him? And what medium was it published?

4) Was it a press release? If yes, why didn't the "Prince" signed it? And what manner of PR will just be a mere 2 paragraphs that was incoherent?

Now, let me briefly school you on the Benin monarchy. Unlike Yoruba monarchy, the Benin monarchy was established on pure hierarchical of seniority. No son/daughter of the Monarch speak to the public about sensitive issues, except the hair apparent.

Even among the Chiefs, there are only about 3 highest ranking Chiefs that speak for the palace. And this structure has remained this way, from time immemorial. Unknown to most of you Yorubas, you're not aware that this strong structure is one of the pillars the Benin monarchy was built upon responsible for its strides and glory. And still remain till today, highly revered worldwide.

You probably think is like in Yoruba land that several people compete for Kingship that often results to bickering, insults, court cases, physical / spiritual fights and sometimes assassination. In Yorubaland kingship is merely a political thing, so anyone can open his/her mouth to denigrate or denounce the King. NOT IN BENIN!

So that Prince Isede is a complete fathom.

Please you guys should keep trying to score cheap point. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 4:07pm On Mar 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

It is a known fact that the Obas of Lagos were buried in Bini land until Oba Akitoye when Lagos was ceded to the British.

@ bigfrancis21 - it was a because of this OPEN fact that the Yorubas created their fathom "Prince Isede" story some times ago. My friend, can you imagine so-called educated fellows believe this sort of 2-paragraph 'news'? Yes they always do fall over themselves in ecstasy whenever the story is created to demean another. Or is meant to deface an existing facts not in their favour,

Please kindly sit back and think about this news; it shallowness, fakeness and highly unprofessionally done: http://allafrica.com/stories/200405100888.html

NOTE: I'd replied about this to Aigbofa above
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 4:26pm On Mar 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I don't think they are exploiting the myth for any reason whatsoever. They established and ran a much mightier kingdom than Oyo or Ife, with influence extending to as far as Eko (Lagos). Such a dominant power won't be won't exploiting the myth I think.

Truth be told, let us reason as educated adults that we are: nobody is able to fall down from anywhere. Definitely not from the sky. Ife civilization came into fore around the 12th century. Or maybe you're thinking that humans were not existing before Ife came into existence. Mind you, humans had already been existing in the world long before that (Yoruba mythology would want to have you believe the world and civilization started with the 'landing of oduduwa from the sky' in 12th century when people had been existing long before that. Nri civilization is dated to the 9th century) - the egyptians from as early as 3000BC, The Moors, The Romans, The Greeks etc had already been in existence before the earliest Yoruba civilization in the 12th century. Definitely, 'Oduduwa' must have ventured into ancient Yoruba territory from anywhere around them and the binis say it was their son Ekaladerhan whom the Yorubas named 'Oduduwa'. The Binis and Yorubas did have relations, however the frivolous attempt to downplay the Edo contribution to Yoruba civilization is historical hishonesty.

Needless to say,the Bini story is complete in itself as it answers basic questions the Yoruba mythology has failed to answer.

@ bigfrancis21 - I bet they will NEVER take you headlong on the solid points you raised on this post. Can you imagine how they'd been trying to derail the thread with abuses, insults, replying insignificant parts while leaving the major issues?

Anyway you risked being labelled an EDO man, Edo apologist or sympathizer etc. I trust Yorubas, they will definitely tag you badly.

And let me warn you, bigfrancis21, there is practically NOTHING you can do to change the typical Yoruba mindset. Like I said previously, pulling others down, backbiting, insults, social lousiness are a collection of traits among most Yorubas. Well be informed that they always destroy each other as well!!!

In Nigeria, all other tribes acknowledged the big achievements, peculiarity and contributions of the EDOs to African Art and Culture. All tribes and languages respect the Edo people, that sometimes you will think you're bigger than you are. Unfortunately, only the Yorubas are different...

Why?

Due to satanic pride, vaunting traits to feel 'superior' over nothing has made the Yorubas to find joy in attacking Edo culture and belittling it over the years.

All tribes in Nigeria, joined hands with other blacks all over the world and CHOSEN a Benin artifact (Queen Idia) as the symbol of African Art & Culture. Do you remember the logo/image of Festac 77? It was a Benin artworks.

I watched how Yorubas systematically bypassed praising that feat, while some tried to condemned it. Why? Because it was not them that was so honoured?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 4:35pm On Mar 19, 2015
makazona:

No i get it.everybody is wrong and u are right.isnt it?
Other person's points are craps while urs are wisdom from heaven?

i know ur type bro.my advice: Learn to take aside bias while discussing with people.talk with open mind and decent language.admit when u are wrong.

go ahead with tribalism.lets see where it takes u

@ makazona - do not trouble yourself about Yoruba vaunting attitude. In reality it is empty and dry. I love this fellow called macof because he's more open in letting you know he's a tribalist. He's not hiding the fact that many Yorubas are known for rudeness, uncouth social attitude and freely dispensing swear words.

Those you should be afraid are the ones who openly laugh with you, plan projects with you... then... BETRAY you!!! You may not understand this, but let me tell you those traits are the main PROPELLER Yorubas often denigrate other tribes. Those traits are responsible why they chose to insult Edo culture and unashamedly (vaunt pride) called an Edo person "yoruba"
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 5:02pm On Mar 19, 2015
Aigbofa:

All these centuries the Benin folks just discovered Ekalederhan while they faithfully took the heads of their dead obas to Ife?

@ Aigbofa - what you said above is one of the biggest fallacies you Yorubas spread among yourself. How can you say the Benins are just waking up. I understand what you mean.

Many years ago, some attempts were made by Benin scholars to publicly set the record straight, many Yorubas, academics, kings and even area boys were accusing the Edo intellectuals of 'just coming out" or trying to do "revisionism"

This is laughable my friend. Unknown to you guys (perhaps you pretend not to know) the Benin history has always remain intact. In fact, most parts of Benin history are DOCUMENTED and well RECORDED. Many parts of Benin history were recorded by both the Portuguese and British people. Plus many archaeological excavations (done under international best practices) helped to solidify the Benin history.

However do remember that we are EDOs - sharply different from Yorubas who often love to get entangle in needless 'superiority contest'. That you guys love to SHOUT about even unnecessary things is legendary. So my friend, those story are as old as Benin history itself.

NOTHING TO ADD!

Finally, history is a FRESH phenomenon. History must be subjected to investigation on a continuous basis. History must be expanded upon with more discoveries.

Your scholars know this truth, but because over 97% of Yoruba history are pure Mythologies and Fables, they want a web of unfounded stories without documentation and unrecorded to continue unchallenged.

Let me share a piece by a scholar Naiwu Osahon with you:

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-oduduwa-controversy-1

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-oduduwa-controversy-2

Read about one of the greatest achievements of Old Benin Empire: http://ihuanedo.ning.com/group/healtheducation/forum/topics/the-great-benin-wall-the-benin-moat
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 5:06pm On Mar 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:
In Yoruba mythology, where did Oduduwa come from? He fell from the sky?? Pure mythology. Science has proven that nobody is able to fall from the sky. Now, where did Oduduwa come from into ancient Yoruba territory? Yoruba mythology has failed to answer this question.

Bini historians have the answer. Ekaladerhan (named Oduduwa by Yorubas) was a bini man who, about to be executed, escaped into yoruba territory, Yorubas saw him, named him 'oduduwa' and assumed him to have 'fallen from the sky'. Whatever happened to Ekaladerhan before journeying into Ife territory, the Yorubas do not know. They have no idea but the Binis have the real story.

@ bigfrancis21 - let me share some scholarly works with you:

1) The Oduduwa Controversy Resolved

2) 52 REASONS WHY YORUBA NEVER HAD AN EMPIRE BUT CIVILIZED BY BENIN

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/forum/topics/why-yoruba-never-had-an-empire-but-civilized-by-benin?groupUrl=healtheducation&x=1&groupId=2971192%3AGroup%3A14663&id=2971192%3ATopic%3A124153&page=1

3) The Great Benin Wall - The Benin Moat

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/group/healtheducation/forum/topics/the-great-benin-wall-the-benin-moat

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 6:32pm On Mar 19, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ bigfrancis21 - let me share some scholarly works with you:

1) The Oduduwa Controversy Resolved

2) 52 REASONS WHY YORUBA NEVER HAD AN EMPIRE BUT CIVILIZED BY BENIN

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/forum/topics/why-yoruba-never-had-an-empire-but-civilized-by-benin?groupUrl=healtheducation&x=1&groupId=2971192%3AGroup%3A14663&id=2971192%3ATopic%3A124153&page=1

3) The Great Benin Wall - The Benin Moat

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/group/healtheducation/forum/topics/the-great-benin-wall-the-benin-moat

Thanks. I'll go through these links that you provided me!

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Handsomeness Of Middlebelt-nigerian Men / I Need Edo Names / Anambra Woman Forced To Walk Over Daughter's Corpse To Prove Her Innocence (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.