Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,952 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo (54231 Views)

Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos / Oyinbo People Greet Ooni Ogunwusi At A Get-Together In New York.Pics / Etymology Of Yoruba Greetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 2:21pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
This is what Wikipedia says of the term

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyibo

So can everyone now shut up and stop trying to make eediotic claims? It's a Nigerian term, shikena!

A Nigerian word of Yoruba origin just as there are Nigerian words of ibo, hausa, Edo, Ijaws origins.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 2:23pm On Mar 14, 2015
Aigbofa:

Is oga a yoruba term? The answer is yes. Yoruba came into contact with whites before ibos did, it makes no sense Yoruba would refer to the white man as oyinbo and ibos didn't.
Not satisfied with trying to claim our cities you also try to lay claims to our language! It's all good.
my friend use google and stop exposing your illiteracy here

The Niger Deltans (Benin) came across whites first, not Yorubas, so by your logic, it's the Bini and not the Yorubas that coined the term.

Oya, give us the etymology for Oga in Yoruba land cuz I heard UN is dashing money for every claim on a pidgin term tongue
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 14, 2015
gotten from wordpress. Its something i have read before in the past so lemme share..

extract
Now, let’s examine the word, “Oyinbo”, which is supposed to refer to “(a) White Person/Caucasian/Non Black-African”. The etymology has never been agreed on, and even though a famous scholar once wrote that it is derived from “Oyin + bo” which roughly means “(Someone) peeled by the honeybee

get it?
it wasn't gotten from the complexion of the ibos or any of those balderdash up there..
the Yorubas simple used it in referring to light skinned people...Albinos, Europeans ...

Oyin means Honey
Bo means peel

together they mean - Oyinbo -
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 2:24pm On Mar 14, 2015
Aigbofa:

A Nigerian word of Yoruba origin just as there are Nigerian words of ibo, hausa, Edo, Ijaws origins.
google gave it two origins, but feel free to ignore the second one with a better explanation and a wider reach grin
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by mmsen: 2:24pm On Mar 14, 2015
The OP's 'explanation' is farcical to anyone with even a basic semblance of knowledge regarding the migration of peoples, or biology.

Why would people who descend from southern or central Africa have 'white skin'?

Pale skin is a genetically useless trait - hence why it is a recessive trait.

Besides that there have been other stupids claims made in this thread that made me laugh.

Stay out of churches and visit the library - you might learn something.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 2:27pm On Mar 14, 2015
Darkrebel666:
gotten from wordpress. Its something i have read before in the past so lemme share..

extract
Now, let’s examine the word, “Oyinbo”, which is supposed to refer to “(a) White Person/Caucasian/Non Black-African”. The etymology has never been agreed on, and even though a famous scholar once wrote that it is derived from “Oyin + bo” which roughly means “(Someone) peeled by the honeybee

get it?
it wasn't gotten from the complexion of the ibos or any of those balderdash up there..
the Yorubas simple used it in referring to light skinned people...Albinos, Europeans ...

Oyin means Honey
Bo means peel

together they mean - Oyinbo -
yeah, you can get an Igbo explanation on wordpress too. If I typed it on wordpress, you'll mos def get it

It's on wiki too- along with the Igbo origin. So feel free to accept anyone that appeals to you, but do not debunk the other claim. I posted te wikipedia explanation on the previous page

Feel free to check it out. This argument is old
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by hakeemfatai217: 2:28pm On Mar 14, 2015
Register today in the Dangote rural social scheme and become a dangote distributor nationwide.
for more information call +2347052988260
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
yeah, you can get an Igbo explanation on wordpress too. If I typed it on wordpress, you'll mos def get it

It's on wiki too- along with the Igbo origin. So feel free to accept anyone that appeals to you, but do not debunk the other claim. I posted te wikipedia explanation on the previous page

Feel free to check it out. This argument is old

I debunked it cos it was false. My grandmother has told me these things before. I just don't have time or energy to explain
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by GentleToks(m): 2:31pm On Mar 14, 2015
kaorama:
Oyinbo was rather a derogatory remark made by the early white slave merchants to refer to an Ibo slave. It was transliterated Onye Ibo which means Ibo man. The early Whit slave merchant could not hide their preference for Igbo slaves whom they saw as hardworking. To register that preference, the whites usually asked for Onye Ibo which they themselves mid pronounced as Oyinbo. I have researched widely on this and can prove the word has its root in the Igbo history.

That write up does not make sense from d beginning to the end. Why trying to alter what is unalterable? If slave merchants used Onye Ibo as derogatory remark in reference to hardworking Ibo slaves, how come the same derogatory words are being used against the same white slave merchants who used the same derogatory words on their slaves? It didn't even hard up in the first place. How could ""On""-ye Ibo be called Oyinbo?

As usual, you come up with this meaningless assertion to sell to d gullible ones to buy and funny enough, few have bought it already. Chaiii!!!!.......

How come there is no slavery book that has ever made reference to this Onye - Ibo? As at 13/03/2015, white people are still being called Oyinbo in Nigeria and they(the ones in the country) have never seen it as derogatory words.

Finally, my Family name is "FATOYINBO"(OYINBO) and this name was given to my progenitor who was xtremely fair in complexion

N.B Right from genesis, Igbos have always called white people Onye Ocha, how has Onye Ocha transcend to Oyinbo.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 14, 2015
mmsen:
The OP's 'explanation' is farcical to anyone with even a basic semblance of the migration of peoples.

Why would people who descend from southern or central Africa have 'white skin'?

White skin is a genetically useless trait - hence why it is a recessive trait.

Besides that there have been other stupids claims made in this thread that made me laugh.

Stay out of churches and visit the library - you might learn something.

word
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 2:36pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:

The Niger Deltans (Benin) came across whites first, not Yorubas, so by your logic, it's the Bini and not the Yorubas that coined the term.

Oya, give us the etymology for Oga in Yoruba land cuz I heard UN is dashing money for every claim on a pidgin term tongue

Now who is the illiterate? You can't even comprehend basic English. Yoruba came into contact before ibos did. How is that statement connected to when the Bini came into contact with whites?
Retard.

3 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by GentleToks(m): 2:37pm On Mar 14, 2015
Justfollowit:

I will go with this

I disagree with the op's

In response to the one u chose to believe.

The write up does not make sense from d beginning to the end. Why trying to alter what is unalterable? If slave merchants used Onye Ibo as derogatory remark in reference to hardworking Ibo slaves, how come the same derogatory words are being used against the same white slave merchants who used the same derogatory words on their slaves? It didn't even hard up in the first place. How could ""On""-ye Ibo be called Oyinbo?

As usual, you come up with this meaningless assertion to sell to d gullible ones to buy and funny enough, few have bought it already. Chaiii!!!!.......

How come there is no slavery book that has ever made reference to this Onye - Ibo? As at 13/03/2015, white people are still being called Oyinbo in Nigeria and they(the ones in the country) have never seen it as derogatory words.

Finally, my Family name is "FATOYINBO"(OYINBO) and this name was given to my progenitor cos he is xtremely fair in complexion (very fair in skin colour).

N.B Right from genesis, Igbos have always called white people Onye Ocha, how has Onye Ocha transcend to Oyinbo.

3 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 2:38pm On Mar 14, 2015
Darkrebel666:

I debunked it cos it was false. My grandmother has told me these things before. I just don't have time or energy to explain
are you yoruba? If yes, then of course your grandma will tell you her own side of the story....some Igbo kid would also say his grandpa told him the story from the igbo angle as well

For all we know, both claims are correct. Both tribes unwittingly coined the term without knowing the other was doing same abi una dey share backyard? So please, your grandma telling you the Yoruba version does not make the Igbo vversion wrong afterall both languages are somewhat similar

Eg Ola (Igbo) means jewel/valuable stuff
Ola (Yoruba) means prosperity (I think)

Both terms are somewhat alike cuz something of value could be a sign off prosperity....it doesn't make one name better tthan the other or the origin of the other

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by zbone(m): 2:39pm On Mar 14, 2015
kaorama:
Oyinbo was rather a derogatory remark made by the early white slave merchants to refer to an Ibo slave. It was transliterated Onye Ibo which means Ibo man. The early Whit slave merchant could not hide their preference for Igbo slaves whom they saw as hardworking. To register that preference, the whites usually asked for Onye Ibo which they themselves mid pronounced as Oyinbo. I have researched widely on this and can prove the word has its root in the Igbo history.

THREAD CLOSED
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 2:39pm On Mar 14, 2015
GentleToks:

In response to the one u chose to believe.

The write up does not make sense from d beginning to the end. Why trying to alter what is unalterable? If slave merchants used Onye Ibo as derogatory remark in reference to hardworking Ibo slaves, how come the same derogatory words are being used against the same white slave merchants who used the same derogatory words on their slaves? It didn't even hard up in the first place. How could ""On""-ye Ibo be called Oyinbo?

Finally, my Family name is "FATOYINBO"(OYINBO) and this name was given to my progenitor cos of his xtremely fair in skin complexion (very fair in skin colour).

use google. Wikipedia has an explanation just for you grin
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by blacko(m): 2:41pm On Mar 14, 2015
This Igbo people don start when u don't even have a definite history this is common sense what is onye what is Igbo how do the two words relate with oyinbo?

3 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 2:42pm On Mar 14, 2015
Aigbofa:

Now who is the illiterate? You can't even comprehend basic English. Yoruba came into contact before ibos did. How is that statement connected to when the Bini came into contact with whites?
Retard.
I know you have comprehension problems.

The statement is connected because the Binis first came into contact with whites and interacted with them. So if we use your logic ie based on who met whites first, then the Binis should have original claim to the term before the Yorubas

Have you applied for the UN award yet? You guys make white people feel so special arguing about who came up with their pet name grin
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 2:45pm On Mar 14, 2015
blacko:
This Igbo people don start when u don't even have a definite history this is common sense what is onye what is Igbo how do the two words relate with oyinbo?

I can write a very convincing story of how Adelaide in Australia and Ottawa in Canada were founded by ancient Yoruba seafarers but the story will still be false Just as the ibo origin of "oyinbo" is nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Elypsis(m): 2:52pm On Mar 14, 2015
redcliff:

but did you read it? Most times ftcs do not read the posts before commenting.
smles...of course I read it b4 commenting, am surely nt among those pple that go crazy abt FTCs am way matured beyond that craze without any benefit....u can trace my comments and check out where I've made FTC without any fuss abt it.Its jst sensless 2 me....NO offense meant tho,I dnnt go after FTC
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 2:53pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
I know you have comprehension problems.

The statement is connected because the Binis first came into contact with whites and interacted with them. So if we use your logic ie based on who met whites first, then the Binis should have original claim to the term before the Yorubas

Have you applied for the UN award yet? You guys make white people feel so special arguing about who came up with their pet name grin

This is not about making anyone special you are simply not making sense.
How come ibos did not originally refer to the whites as oyinbo?
And what did the Binis call the white folks? Olodo.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 2:59pm On Mar 14, 2015
Aigbofa:

how do you know Igbos did not originally refer to whites os oyibo? Were you alive in the 19th century? If you were, were you in Igbo land? Do you have a time machine that you suddenly know who used what when?

The only person being a blockhead here is your ethnocentric self who has blatantly refused to accept that just maybe the tribe you hate most was also responsible for a term you originally thought your tribe solely responsible for

And most likely, what is now South-South borrowed the term from that same tribe you loath due to their proximity. If that is too hard for you to digest then feel free to swallow a large stone.

I shan't dignify you with a reply after this as you have proven yourself to be an unrepentant, blinded bigot

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 3:02pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:

Lool. Even Bokohalal and PhysicsQED will never say landlocked Bini came in contact with Europeans before Yorubas.

They always claims Itshekiri but Itsekiris are of Ijebu stock - so they are still somewhat right. Anyway, Yorubas (Ijebus) came in contact with Europeans before any other group in Nigeria. Ijebus were trading clothes with the Portuguese explorers as far back as the 12th or 13th century.

3 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Elypsis(m): 3:03pm On Mar 14, 2015
kaorama:
Personally, I'd love it iif u can expatiate the more and back ur claims up with solid evidences then u'll be my hero..
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 3:06pm On Mar 14, 2015
Justfollowit:

I will go with this

I disagree with the op's

Lol. You will go with the most illogical hypothesis out there, no?

Why would Yorubas even borrow the word from Igbos, when they had contacts with Europeans way before them? And isn't 'ibo' a recent construct? I thought you are Yoruba and I have a better understanding than you do, then you might be an impostor.

The topic has been overflogged anyway.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 3:06pm On Mar 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lool. Even Bokohalal and PhysicsQED will never say landlocked Bini came in contact with Europeans before Yorubas.

They always claims Itshekiris but Itsekiris are of Ijebu stock - so they are still somewhat right. Anyway, Yorubas (Ijebus) came in contact with Europeans before any other group in Nigeria. Ijebus were trading clothes with the Portuguese explorers as far back as the 12th or 13th century.
the net says Bini.....but that's not the root of this silly argument

I've made my point previously. Both Igbos and Yorubas came up with oyibo, I hope we can now go to sleep and stop acting like white people asked us who came up with their pet name

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ezeagu(m): 3:08pm On Mar 14, 2015
Aigbofa:

"We have also markets, at which I have been frequently with my mother. These are sometimes visited by stout mahogany-coloured men from the south west of us: we call them Oye-Eboe, which term signifies red men living at a distance."

Olaudah Equiano, The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, 1789. [Link]

"John Taylor and Ajai Crowther, were called by the people of Onitsha black Europeans, oyibo ojii, or native foreigners."

Augustine Okwu, Igbo Culture and the Christian Missions, 1857-1957, 2010. [Link]

"Other words, phonetically closer to 'ebo' (e.g.ibo,oyibo), also had classificatory meanings. In 1832, R. A. K. Oldfield recorded that on the middle reaches of the Niger near 'Eboe' (Aboh), locals hid in the bushes and called out to them what he heard as 'Oh, Eboe! Oh, Eboe!' (meaning 'White man, white man!'); in the 1850s at Onitsha another such 'stranger', Revd J.C. Taylor, was called by the people oibo, to mean 'whiteman'."

Paul E. Lovejoy, Identity in the Shadow of Slavery, 2009 [Link]

4 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 3:09pm On Mar 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. You will go with the most illogical hypothesis out there, no?

Why would Yorubas even borrow the word from Igbos, when they had contacts with Europeans way before them? And isn't 'ibo' a recent construct? I thought you are Yoruba and I have a better understanding than you do, then you might be an impostor.

The topic has been overflogged anyway.
nobody borrowed the word. Both tribes were using it without the other knowing. That's pretty easy to digest

And I can't fathom how

Oyin- peeled
Bo- bleach

Would translate to peeled 'skin'...why not peeled 'bleach'? undecided

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by safarigirl(f): 3:10pm On Mar 14, 2015
Even the angle of honey doesn't rhyme cuz honey is a golden brown colour, not pale

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 3:11pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
the net says Bini.....but that's not the root of this silly argument

I've made my point previously. Both Igbos and Yorubas came up with oyibo, I hope we can now go to sleep and stop acting like white people asked us who came up with their pet name

That is just hyperbole and vacuous Bini folks telling porkies. Bini empire was landlocked, and they met Europeans via the Itsekiris.

However, Ijebus were trading with Europeans way before then, via Épe.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 3:16pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
nobody borrowed the word. Both tribes were using it without the other knowing. That's pretty easy to digest

And I can't fathom how

Oyin- peeled
Bo- bleach

Would translate to peeled 'skin'...why not peeled 'bleach'? undecided

The issue has been overflogged.

Anyway, who cares? English language, which happens to be the most widely spoken language, is about 70% Latin and Greek. Heck, there are few words borrowed from Punjabi in English language.

Anyway, the idiotic hypothesis by the Igbo guy has to be the most illogical and dumbest thing I have ever read.

I'm out.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Adiwana: 3:18pm On Mar 14, 2015
kaorama:
i think you are right..cos oyinbo literally means ONYE IBO

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Oluwo Akanbi Faces Dethronement As Criminal Past Of Deported Monarch Emerges / Ooni Of Ife Chills With Oba Of Elegushi After Being Snubbed By Oba Of Lagos.PIC / New Photos Of Oluwo Of Iwo And His Queen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.