Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

Programmers Health - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmers Health (1594 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programmers Health by chim14(m): 9:58pm On Mar 11, 2015
Programming can be a time consuming and tedious job, this leaves one to wonder how programmers fare in their health or diet.
Programmers sit for long hours in front of their monitors punching and head-cracking, with a snack or 'stuff' nearby to keep the ginger going.

Programmers are prone to be addicted to something. My friend told me of a java guru who smoked a lot while thinking on solving a problem on his software project. Well for me, I'm addicted to SUGAR. Ya, you heard me right. It keeps my brain going - I love Pepsi a lot, its my petrol.

One of my colleagues some years ago that is good in Linux administration always eats a MOUNTAIN of EBA. I understood because, I always get hungry when I program and REALLY BEAST-HUNGRY when I get errors on my code.

Many programmers are addicted to one form of unhealthy behavior or the other. The question is, how do one get out of it?

1 Like

Re: Programmers Health by Nobody: 6:36am On Mar 12, 2015
By writing some codes of course. . . .some programmers are addicted to weed. If you are addicted to SUGAR only like ME as a requirement to program, then you need to find a way of burning all the sugar.
Re: Programmers Health by sunnico(m): 8:59am On Mar 12, 2015
Nice thread.....still expecting ur reply..
Re: Programmers Health by abdul01(m): 8:43pm On Mar 12, 2015
@dhtml, Ah! I don catch u today, so you dey smoke igbo, smiley JK
As for me I try to talk to people around me whenever I'm bored from programming as I'm naturally the introvert type
Re: Programmers Health by Nobody: 4:28am On Mar 13, 2015
^^^Most programmers are introverts, I am an introvert too, but when i get into my madt mode, i turn complete extrovert - so i have a dual nature.
Re: Programmers Health by peteruuu(m): 10:43am On Mar 13, 2015
One of my colleagues some years ago that is good in Linux administration always eats a MOUNTAIN of EBA.
grin grin cheesy
Re: Programmers Health by ballantyne: 7:21pm On Mar 13, 2015
I am addicted to light. Wherever there is me, there is power.

That counts as an addiction right? Right??
Re: Programmers Health by danvery2k6(m): 8:15pm On Mar 13, 2015
I get really talkative and crack tones of jokes. I am shy naturally but at times like that, I can be a super flirt. And I consume bottles of water. I once hit an all time high of 15 water bottles in 4 hours during my last project.
Re: Programmers Health by Urine: 8:41pm On Mar 14, 2015
Interesting thread, a couple of years ago, my addiction was energy drinks now I have switched to egg roll and orijin. It's crazy but that's what keeps me going.
Re: Programmers Health by chim14(m): 11:06pm On Mar 14, 2015
@ dhtml18
Burning the sugar is a small thing, cuz I intentionally trek alot.

Introverted personality fits programming and research. I always try to life a normal life, not a geek one. For instance, I can be toasting or gisting a girl at the same time, my brain is calculating how to solve a problem.

If its one thing I've learnt to do, is to relax - and creative ideas will always come, cue by cue.
Re: Programmers Health by chim14(m): 11:08pm On Mar 14, 2015
@ ballantyne
Addicted to light?
You're very funny.
Re: Programmers Health by Nobody: 12:04am On Mar 15, 2015
Urine:
Interesting thread, a couple of years ago, my addiction was energy drinks now I have switched to egg roll and orijin. It's crazy but that's what keeps me going.
Chisox!
Re: Programmers Health by Urine: 5:38am On Mar 15, 2015
dhtml18:

Chisox!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Programmers Health by Nobody: 7:50am On Mar 15, 2015
chim14:
@ dhtml18
Burning the sugar is a small thing, cuz I intentionally trek alot.

Introverted personality fits programming and research. I always try to life a normal life, not a geek one. For instance, I can be toasting or gisting a girl at the same time, my brain is calculating how to solve a problem.

If its one thing I've learnt to do, is to relax - and creative ideas will always come, cue by cue.
That is a geek to the core for you.

1 Like

Re: Programmers Health by cbrass(m): 2:27pm On Mar 16, 2015
mine is s3x... especially when am entangled in a web of errors cry
Re: Programmers Health by donsheddy1(m): 12:02am On Mar 17, 2015
I starve and never eat until the set time is giving. If I exceed that time, I turn to watching movies that I will never understand on my laptop cos I don't really see the movie but the error that needs fixing on the project. Sometimes I take my frustration on my finger nails and will not have a proper sleep if programing is 99% done. I no fit fat again o. I yaf tired o. I don't know if this only happens to me?
Re: Programmers Health by Nobody: 8:38am On Mar 17, 2015
cbrass:
mine is s3x... especially when am entangled in a web of errors cry
Then you will now run down and be unable to write any code again for the day, and then you fast-forward to the next day. When I am entangled, I read a novel or play a game (i play gazillions of games depending on my mood). I also love walking about - just taking strolls especially when i need inspiration (mostly in the middle of the night), where i stay you can stroll outside your house safely even at 2am (without any risk of being kidnapped or stuffs like that).
Re: Programmers Health by cbrass(m): 9:29am On Mar 17, 2015
dhtml18:

Then you will now run down and be unable to write any code again for the day, and then you fast-forward to the next day. When I am entangled, I read a novel or play a game (i play gazillions of games depending on my mood). I also love walking about - just taking strolls especially when i need inspiration (mostly in the middle of the night), where i stay you can stroll outside your house safely even at 2am (without any risk of being kidnapped or stuffs like that).

I dey joke ni o...most times I play game.. but if it's a weekend it's most certain everything the pastor says doesn't enter my ears cos am busy thinking deep about the solutions and have always found a solution by doing this Although I don't like it
Re: Programmers Health by castsports: 12:03pm On Mar 17, 2015
I eat my pen... undecided
Re: Programmers Health by ballantyne: 1:16pm On Mar 17, 2015
So... ermm.. nobody jerks off? Nobody? seriously?

that's disappointing. undecided
Re: Programmers Health by donsheddy1(m): 2:04pm On Mar 17, 2015
ballantyne:

Uncle I.. Uncle I... Uncle I... Uncle I. Errm Errm Errm I know who jacks off and i think it's Only You
Re: Programmers Health by Nobody: 10:21pm On Mar 17, 2015
ballantyne:

Errr, is that another way of getting rid of programming stress? I dont understand the correlation (or regression) with programming?
Re: Programmers Health by ballantyne: 10:32pm On Mar 17, 2015
dhtml18:

Errr, is that another way of getting rid of programming stress? I dont understand the correlation (or regression) with programming?
Someone said he has sex. You should ask him this question.
Re: Programmers Health by Nobody: 7:11am On Mar 18, 2015
Me i take a little nap or listen to music. No be the type of nigerian music wey dey make too much noise...
Re: Programmers Health by Ali01: 11:10am On Mar 18, 2015
Interesting thread... Mine is am addicted to soft Drinks and also strolling around.. Wen ever i encoutered errors i stroll around my area and my brain will be fresh.

1 Like

Re: Programmers Health by Nobody: 12:04pm On Mar 18, 2015
^^^^Yeah, i do that too, and try not to toast every babe in sight!
Re: Programmers Health by lordZOUGA(m): 3:57pm On Mar 19, 2015
When the code doesn't do what I expect it to do, I pace while I think of a solution.

Or I threaten my computer. it usually works.
Re: Programmers Health by sarutobi: 8:20pm On Mar 19, 2015
Programming makes me hungry... A lot.

1 Like

Re: Programmers Health by AAinEqGuinea: 4:18am On Mar 20, 2015
@topic

Even for the most athletic or healthy programmer, siting for a long time is dangerous for your health.

I take occasional breaks. I "hacked" my home desk so that I can elevate it so I work standing up at times. I dont consume drugs (ibo, caffeine, or nicotine), but I will consume the occasional energy drink (which I guess is a another form of a drug).

another tip: I limit irrelevant web browsing to my tablet or phone only, keeping my screen distraction-free
Re: Programmers Health by Nobody: 8:35pm On Mar 24, 2015
when the coding gets tough, I fill myself up with cornflakes.

it keeps me going..

(1) (Reply)

Thread Closed. / How Can I Be Very Good As A Computer Science Student? / Designing Mobile Apps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.