Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,491 members, 7,781,474 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:02 PM

Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job (16431 Views)

What Will You Do When You Missed A Call From An Interviewer? / "Meet Me At Mega Hilton Hotel": An Interviewer Told Me. I Have Suffered / This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by LaurelP(m): 10:06pm On Mar 11, 2015
The subject of money is a very sensitive one when it comes to interviews. Yet many employers will do anytin to make sure they get a deal dat favors dem alone.

Ive noticed dat most interviewers usually want to know how much the candidate was earning in his foqmer job. As harmless as dis question might seem, a lot is involved in it. They may put it into consideration in determining ur pay, and God save u if it was a poor pay package. It will definitely affect d person negatively.

Now d issue is do u tell dem, or do u refuse or do u lie to dem?(i dnt recomend d last option tho).
What do u do? To avoid goin thru hrtbreak of poor nd inequitable reward after getuing d job. Cos i ve seen many people in dis dilemma as a result of poor negotiation skills during interview.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by walearoy(m): 10:10pm On Mar 11, 2015
Oya comments o

*modified*

FTC finally after 2 years
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by topearos(m): 10:21pm On Mar 11, 2015
Booting ....
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by topearos(m): 10:22pm On Mar 11, 2015
walearoy:
Oya comments o
. You dey use Afose ni?

5 Likes

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by uboma(m): 10:31pm On Mar 11, 2015
There's nothing wrong in saying exactly how much your former employer paid you. They may want to verify your claim by asking for your last 3 pay-slips.

However, that doesn't mean that you have to accept the same amount in your new place. The interviewers will always ask *how much do you want them to pay you?* A very dicey question I agree. The secret here lies in your previous research about the new company and their salary structure for your grade and position. Armed with such vital information, you can safely go ahead and give them a range. E.g if they usually pay 100k for the grade and position, you can give a range of 100k to 150k. But whatever you say, they already have in mind what they will pay you which will be clearly stated on your offer letter, which you have the right to either accept or reject the offer.

All the best to you all

A nice topic by the way @ op

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by MissIndependent(f): 6:47am On Mar 12, 2015
It is better you tell them the truth because they will still find out one way or the other. I don't think telling them your last salary affects your salary negotiation because they already have in mind what they have to offer you irrespective of the amount you mention good or bad...

2 Likes

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by LaurelP(m): 7:46am On Mar 12, 2015
Nice response @uboma
The problem tho is dat some ppl use wat they earned in their last job as a yardstick in deciding wat to negotiate for.
Again not all coys have pay scale,it all depemds on ur negotiation skills.

4 Likes

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Noloss(f): 8:44am On Mar 12, 2015
Hummm
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Generalkorex(m): 9:07am On Mar 12, 2015
Make una come comment o.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by lalasticlala(m): 9:53am On Mar 12, 2015
for me, i will tell the exact amount, what will be , will be... even if you lie by exaggerating it, things may still not work out, just tell them the truth, if it works out fine, if not fine, another opportunity would still come.
for the fact that mayb ur last pay was small doesnt mean the new pay should be small too, because conditions of service, the input and everything differ, and of cuz, one moves from retrogression to progression. for you to leave ur current job for another, it must worth it

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Nobody: 10:14am On Mar 12, 2015
Before any interview, I advise you do background check on their salary/wage structure, with that, you will know what range to start bargaining from.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Nobody: 10:20am On Mar 12, 2015
Its easy, I work for myself and pay myself 70k/monthly.

I can provide my payment slip and even the offer letter I offered myself when I started my business.

If in doubt, you are free to come to my office, to verify from me, how much I was paying myself.

QED.

5 Likes

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by prelinctus: 10:25am On Mar 12, 2015
Any company that asks you this question is not worth it. Any reasonable company should have a standard pay structure. This should only come up if you're offering consultancy services.

5 Likes

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Kennyinusa(m): 10:25am On Mar 12, 2015
You are very right @op.

There was one interview i went for and the interview asked my how much my last pay was, i didn't lie to him but i told him $Bleep and then he asked how much i wanted for this job of which i told him 2*$Bleep = $XXXX and he told me that getting an 100% raise from my last Job was not what he can guarantee, he now started counseling me that i would have to reduce that blah blah blah.

For the next two week, they kept calling and i gave excuse that i was not in town, believe me for two weeks, they were still calling. At this stage i knew that if i wanted even more money, they were most definitely going to consider it.

At the very end he offered to pay the $XXXX but i turned them down because i got an even better offer.

So for me, asking the question is not the problem but knowing what you are worth and how desperate you are.

The truth is at the end they would still fire your ass, especially if you are smart.

13 Likes

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by XBLadez: 10:45am On Mar 12, 2015
Employers are always cost conscious and they tend to add a little difference to new but experienced employees' renumeration. So it's good to tell if ur former job's salary was satisfying, but wrong and not advisable when ur former job paid u peanut. A slight increment won't make any difference. You'll still find urself in ur former financial level

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 12, 2015
I don't think its bad.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by efguy1(m): 10:49am On Mar 12, 2015
Shoro niyen

1 Like

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by efguy1(m): 10:50am On Mar 12, 2015
What are you braggin about when you couldn't keep the job
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Mrphilia: 10:50am On Mar 12, 2015
Its a big no to me cos it wouldnt change the offer on the table.
#God bless nigeria
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by FrenchyL(m): 10:50am On Mar 12, 2015
Kennyinusa:
You are very right @op.

There was one interview i went for and the interview asked my how much my last pay was, i didn't lie to him but i told him $Bleep and then he asked how much i wanted for this job of which i told him 2*$Bleep = $XXXX and he told me that getting an 100% raise from my last Job was not what he can guarantee, he now started counseling me that i would have to reduce that blah blah blah.

For the next two week, they kept calling and i gave excuse that i was not in town, believe me for two weeks, they were still calling. At this stage i knew that if i wanted even more money, they were most definitely going to consider it.

At the very end he offered to pay the $XXXX but i turned them down because i got an even better offer.

So for me, asking the question is not the problem but knowing what you are worth and how desperate you are.

The truth is at the end they would still fire your ass, especially if you are smart.

That's it my brother. #KnowYourWorth and dont settle for crumbs because you desperately need a job.

1 Like

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by 1MCN: 10:50am On Mar 12, 2015
How to help yourself when asked this question is

Add you salary and your allowances (if any) then your pension (if any) then your tax deductions. If you're a degree holder then the sum should not be less than N100,000.

If it's not up to that then round it up to the nearest thousandth

Don't mistake your salary to just what follows you back home at month ends.

But remember, most organizations don't negotiate salary with staff within entry levels. They usually have standardized salary structure, and what you say might not change it.

Ideally, you must recieve your appointmen letter and know your job responsibilities, working environment/conditions as well as salary and other entitlements before jumping ship.

3 Likes

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by efguy1(m): 10:51am On Mar 12, 2015
Whoever is doing that should stop. Work should be more about passion and not money

#saiAnybody
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Nobody: 10:53am On Mar 12, 2015
Very tricky but simple solution.

It depends on two things:

1) Do you need the job desperately?
2) Are you a professional seeking a better deal.

For number one, simply try to lay hands on how much they pay for that role and just subtract like 10k. If they pay 70k say you earn 62k currently.

For number two, tell them your worth with a detailed pitch of what you can offer, what you are doing and have done in your last job and how you will help them increase patronage and sales.

This helps?

4 Likes

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by naijainfogalery: 10:53am On Mar 12, 2015
CONT
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Nobody: 10:53am On Mar 12, 2015
no clear answer. honesty is supposed to be the best policy, but it can getvyou shafted by employers. vmobile was very notorious for this back in the day. no clear salary structure, so you could find that your colleague with same responsibilities was earning twice your salary.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by efguy1(m): 10:55am On Mar 12, 2015
The money in your last job dosen't show a thing, Your worth says it all; Buid your worth well and Money would come than you could ever imagine

1 Like

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by akabad: 10:55am On Mar 12, 2015
Well that's a funny one. I work in IT and normally there is a range for the kind of role depending on experience and certification

I was in my last job for 3 years and let's assume the going rate was 20k, now the rate plus inflation is like 40k but I noticed that with my experience and certification got me loads of interviews that was paying between 40-60

As soon they heard I was in 20k, the interview just ended because they felt I couldn't do that job. Meanwhile the bloody 20k job won't give me a raise to match the market.

I was lucky that I got a job that matched that 50k and the company were looking to fill that role for 7 months so no one cared.

Lesson for me, do one year and move
The question was will you lie about your salary, my answer remains no, they will always find out, besides how will you live with yourself when u know you got a job on a lie, any thing you do wrong will be a trigger to get fired

3 Likes

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Gasout(m): 10:55am On Mar 12, 2015
IN A GOOD STRUCCTURED ORGANIZATION, YOUR LAST SALARY DOESN'T REALLY MATTER. THE EMPLOYER JUST WANT TO KNW IF YOUR PREVIOUS PAY IS HIGHER THAN THEIRS. MIND YOU,IF UR PREVIOUS PAY IS HIGHER; PROBABILTY OF THE EMPLOYER PAYING U EXACTLY OR HIGHER THAN UR PREVIOUS IS SLIM. JUST TELL THEM THE TRUTH... MY OPINION

1 Like

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by lonelydora: 10:57am On Mar 12, 2015
I ALWAYS lie by adding a 10% markup to my true salary which is not a guarantee I will accept the offer even if they agree. Most interviewers will pressure you to quote a figure even when you don't want to lie.

2 Likes

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by XBLadez: 11:03am On Mar 12, 2015
lalasticlala:
for me, i will tell the exact amount, what will be , will be... even if you lie by exaggerating it, things may still not work out, just tell them the truth, if it works out fine, if not fine, another opportunity would still come.
for the fact that mayb ur last pay was small doesnt mean the new pay should be small too, because conditions of service, the input and everything differ, and of cuz, one moves from retrogression to progression. for you to leave ur current job for another, it must worth it
Nobody's asking u to be a Christian! This is about evaluating the efficiency of ur monthly take-home, considering the necessary things u need to do with it in ur life. If ur former job's earning is too small, don't tell!
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by bigv(m): 11:12am On Mar 12, 2015
Actually that doesn't change anything if you ask me, on the contrary it tells your employer that you're honest and could be trusted while still remaining adamant on what you feel you should be paid in accordance to the company policies.

P.S: That's if you have something to offer them, they'd take you seriously

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Procter And Gamble (P&G) Is Recruiting / Ikeja Electric (electrical/electronic Engineering Position) 2017 Invitation For / NPOWER: An Open Letter To Afolabi Imoukhuede.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.