Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) (72761 Views)

Bank Verification Number (BVN) And Crowded Banks (photos) / 12 Things You Need To Know About Bank Verification Number (BVN) / Customers Queue For Bank Verification Number (BVN) In Dutse (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by njideoby(f): 4:28pm On Mar 16, 2015
engrhorla:

Lol. Funny analysis.
But I think change is d only thing d@ is permanent! Or what do u think, nne?
I hope the change you're talking about being permanent isn't the same CHANGE being chanted here in Nigeria every day, because I doubt if that one here will be permanent.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by alexvatt(m): 4:41pm On Mar 16, 2015
saintfizzo:
For one who uses more than one bank... do I have to get BVN for each of my Bank accounts?
no just one registration for all ur accounts
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by JackDaniels1: 7:07pm On Mar 16, 2015
@AuTo,I totally disagree with you on the issue of NIN.This NIN is meant to work like Social Security number in the US.I am sure it will get to a time when NIN will be made compulsort in Nigeria for certain government services.
We are somebody before becoming an account holder.
You are eligible to have NIN from d age if 16 so as the banks
Soonest registration by birth will be included as evidenced on their site
Nigerias need only one database for biometrics,infact no other agency private or public has the right to keep citizens biometric data except NIMC as evidenced by the Act that establishes it.
All what they need to do is to collapse all data collected into NIMC infrastructure
Going through NIMC ACt I discoverd that NIMC has power to regulate the industry with that I believe they will come out with regulations soon.
NIN is all we need please

te author=DaBullIT post=31660791]
You have made sense but I still don't agree with you, what you are saying in essence is that bank PHB, Skye, Gtb, Fbn, diamond, unity wema. E. T. C will have a common data pool which they would compare to verify? Even that's more dangerous for customers and banks themselves, Besides the real fraudsters engage cmd's and bank managers to clear out funds from illegal sources, I heard of a case where manager used a live account to clear out $800k , how would bvn prevent that?
Furthermore almost all the banks are asking you to create account online, although the accounts will be limited to certain amount per transaction it doesn't stop fraud
Finally Nigerian banks are skipping important steps they want to move directly to perfect banking, for this to happen we need population management database, Citizens identification number which would be issued at birth to babies and updates frequently like the west's Social Security number even that does not work effectively. Man makes a rule, Man breaks the rule, I agree with you partially but the Nigerian approach can not work
Period [/quote]
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by NobleG1(m): 12:10am On Mar 17, 2015
USAutoBuy:

But in Nigeria, if you implement something like social security number, it MIGHT be riddled with fraud, but you only have one fingerprint. And for your info, several years ago, to combat fraud in the US, if you want to cash a check and you don't have an account with that bank, they will ask you to fingerprint on the check. Just an index finger.

By that if there is any issue, they turn it over to the police. Granted there is a database in the states. Fraud dropped almost 90%. Nigeria lacks any database hence the banks are beginning this.

For your info, there are some companies that requires the workers to clock in with fingerprint. Reduces the issue of someone clocking in for another worker. The fingerprint database is kept with the company in those cases

Regards

Well, I understand your point, but cashing a check is a different ball game. They don't ask for your fingerprint to operate a bank account in U.S.

I believe we can do better but the endemic corruption in Nigeria is the main problem.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by DaBullIT(m): 7:42am On Mar 17, 2015
[quote author=JackDaniels1 post=31682951]@AuTo,I totally disagree with you on the issue of NIN.This NIN is meant to work like Social Security number in the US.I am sure it will get to a time when NIN will be made compulsort in Nigeria for certain government services.
We are somebody before becoming an account holder.
You are eligible to have NIN from d age if 16 so as the banks
Soonest registration by birth will be included as evidenced on their site
Nigerias need only one database for biometrics,infact no other agency private or public has the right to keep citizens biometric data except NIMC as evidenced by the Act that establishes it.
All what they need to do is to collapse all data collected into NIMC infrastructure
Going through NIMC ACt I discoverd that NIMC has power to regulate the industry with that I believe they will come out with regulations soon.
NIN is all we need please
[\quote]

Nin ?
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by USAutoBuy(m): 11:08am On Mar 17, 2015
NobleG1:

Well, I understand your point, but cashing a check is a different ball game. They don't ask for your fingerprint to operate a bank account in U.S.
I believe we can do better but the endemic corruption in Nigeria is the main problem.

Yes they don't ask for your fingerprint cos there is the fairly trustworthy system of the ID card / DL and social security database that can be trusted. Banks can just revert to it if need be.

But in Nigeria, there is no database, hence the banks has to create it. You are over thinking this privacy/freedom stuff you are used to in the states too much. Banks has to do the best to protect themselves.

When the cases of fraudulent Western Union receivers was rampant in Nigeria, the came out with rules that you have to have an account with the bank before you can cash the western union. That slowed things down. They did not rely on the receiver to just show up with a drivers license which can be fake. They created a new way to protect themselves.

Support the banks, they are moving in the right direction
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by NobleG1(m): 2:52pm On Mar 17, 2015
USAutoBuy:

Yes they don't ask for your fingerprint cos there is the fairly trustworthy system of the ID card / DL and social security database that can be trusted. Banks can just revert to it if need be.

But in Nigeria, there is no database, hence the banks has to create it. You are over thinking this privacy/freedom stuff you are used to in the states too much. Banks has to do the best to protect themselves.

When the cases of fraudulent Western Union receivers was rampant in Nigeria, the came out with rules that you have to have an account with the bank before you can cash the western union. That slowed things down. They did not rely on the receiver to just show up with a drivers license which can be fake. They created a new way to protect themselves.

I don't disagree with you on why the banks are doing it. Banks should have forced the government to create whatever databases required, where financial institutes can refer to in case of verification.

There are things that should be government's responsibility. I understand why banks are this on their own but it doesn't make it right. What stops bank from also demanding blood test before making any bank transaction? Nothing! But in a country where corruption is a rich culture and the govt. is very incompetent, one won't blame the banks.

If this was 100% a good idea, nobody would be required to travel home just to create a bank account or make it operational. They didn't have Nigerians abroad in mind.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by engrhorla(m): 8:18pm On Mar 17, 2015
njideoby:

I hope the change you're talking about being permanent isn't the same CHANGE being chanted here in Nigeria every day, because I doubt if that one here will be permanent.

Looool.

Maybe and maybe not
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by engrhorla(m): 8:19pm On Mar 17, 2015
freshcvv:

Doesn't make sense to me at all..

What can I say?!
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by engrhorla(m): 8:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
Anointed08:

It took me two weeks to get my own BVN from First Bank. But if it varies from customer to customer, that is not my fault o.

Well..d@'s youuu

But the basic thing is under 24hours sir
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by amywonda: 2:46pm On Mar 21, 2015
That's exactly what the NIN Is all about, population database, however minor registration has not commenced, I hear that would come nice as soon as a sizeable amount of adults are captured into the database, the government needs to make it impossible to sit for ssce without a national identity number, it would as you would know the amount of fraud carried out by non school leavers is negligible, this making it compulsory for all school leaver to enrol would go a long way in guarantee no assured identification, at the common entrance level in the nearest future it should also be mandatory, that would go a long way in capturing a vast generality of nigerians
DaBullIT:

You have made sense but I still don't agree with you, what you are saying in essence is that bank PHB, Skye, Gtb, Fbn, diamond, unity wema. E. T. C will have a common data pool which they would compare to verify? Even that's more dangerous for customers and banks themselves, Besides the real fraudsters engage cmd's and bank managers to clear out funds from illegal sources, I heard of a case where manager used a live account to clear out $800k , how would bvn prevent that?

Furthermore almost all the banks are asking you to create account online, although the accounts will be limited to certain amount per transaction it doesn't stop fraud

Finally Nigerian banks are skipping important steps they want to move directly to perfect banking, for this to happen we need population management database, Citizens identification number which would be issued at birth to babies and updates frequently like the west's Social Security number even that does not work effectively. Man makes a rule, Man breaks the rule, I agree with you partially but the Nigerian approach can not work

Period
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by amywonda: 2:58pm On Mar 21, 2015
I have registered for both and I dare say the data is essentially the same, secondly, the Bvn is narrow for only financial transaction whereas nin is broad for various things, now ideal, everyone should have a nin number, thus the account holding set of Nigerians should be a subset of nin registered Nigerians, a simpler analogy would be, not machines are cars but all cars are machines, as for the diaspora how do u intend to capture them for their Bvn?, exactly that's the same way nimc intends to capture them for their nin, the same issues faced with pairing a single Bvn with my 10 account to is exactly the same that would be faced with pairing the non with all ur accounts, so that's easily surmounted, as it has been done in several western countries, nimc is not the run of the mill civil service go to their office and find out, lastly ur issue of ownership of the database, we'll unfortunately for can only the nimc has under its purview the maintain of the nation's identity database, powerd by the Constitution, can regrettably doesn't have such powers, again I reiterate all can needed to do was work hand I ha d with nimc, as the organisation has the answer to all their needs as regards identity management
USAutoBuy:

Not exactly. The data collected is different for different purposes. Not everyone that register for NIN has bank account and vice versa. People living overseas will not have NIN but might have bank account. So the NIN database is useless.

Second, you have to worry about pairing the NIN database with account numbers which might create errors. Its better, faster and easier for the bank to just record your data against your fingerprints one time.

Lastly, is the issue of ownership. CBN DOES NOT OWN the NIN database. They cannot just have access to it even if they want to. Its better for banks to just make their own and use it as they see fit cos all the info they need will be there when setting up
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by amywonda: 3:08pm On Mar 21, 2015
My dear the agency is there already, go and get registered, and get your NIN, u can't get a visa to travel now without your nin, I was applying for a visa last week and they asked for my nin, all government jobs now ask for your nin, leave the back to meddle in matters that are not theirs to meddle in, in fact the Bvn should be stated by the government as they have no constitutional right to manage the database, I might just Institute a law suit against the banks
NobleG1:

I don't disagree with you on why the banks are doing it. Banks should have forced the government to create whatever databases required, where financial institutes can refer to in case of verification.

There are things that should be government's responsibility. I understand why banks are this on their own but it doesn't make it right. What stops bank from also demanding blood test before making any bank transaction? Nothing! But in a country where corruption is a rich culture and the govt. is very incompetent, one won't blame the banks.

If this was 100% a good idea, nobody would be required to travel home just to create a bank account or make it operational. They didn't have Nigerians abroad in mind.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by NobleG1(m): 5:22pm On Mar 21, 2015
amywonda:
My dear the agency is there already, go and get registered, and get your NIN, u can't get a visa to travel now without your nin, I was applying for a visa last week and they asked for my nin, all government jobs now ask for your nin, leave the back to meddle in matters that are not theirs to meddle in, in fact the Bvn should be stated by the government as they have no constitutional right to manage the database, I might just Institute a law suit against the banks

You don't get it. I'm not looking for any goddam visa!
What would those abroad do about the so-called BVN?
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by lumina(m): 5:54pm On Apr 08, 2015
Hello all, please can someone assist on what to do. i registered BVN with Access bank and when i want to update my info with FCMB, it says my BVN does not match with biometrics. i could not do any transaction. i have complain to acces with a letter but over a month now, nothing is been done. sos pls

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jun 24, 2015
if the BVN is not done and the deadline expires.... what will happen to the account?
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by gudtalentgt(m): 7:16am On Jul 10, 2015
THE BENEFITS OD DOING YOUR BVN

1: Bank verification number (BVN) gives a unique identity that can be verified across the Nigerian Banking Industry (not peculiar to one Bank)

2: Standardized efficiency of Banking operations
for more details, click the link below http:///1LZq87D
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Elishaetim: 10:47am On Jul 10, 2015
To me Bank verification number is not security against yahoo yahoo guys. my brothers bank only want to know the customers who have died many years ago so as to forfeit their money.
Am i talking sense?
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Taylexbaba(m): 3:06pm On Jul 12, 2015
Pls my fellow Nairalanders. Pls I want to know 5 disadvantages of BVN in Nigeria Banking Sector.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by radicalove(f): 9:12pm On Nov 04, 2015
leo1234:
Thanks for the information.
I wasted my time doing it in two different banks(gtb and zenith bank).

Have you been able to resolve your BVN issues now?
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by leo1234(m): 10:08pm On Nov 04, 2015
radicalove:

Have you been able to resolve your BVN issues now?
Yes. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by funsho75(m): 7:50am On Sep 16, 2018
Ok
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 06, 2018
SirChotas:
This is the point of the entire post:

The major objectives of the initiative are to protect bank customers, reduce fraud and strengthen the Nigerian banking system.Biometric enrolment is helpful to people who cannot read and write. Their finger prints and pictures would serve the same purpose as signatures. Multiple account holders would be covered with a single registration in any of the banks where they have accounts. BVN will help the banking system reduce situations where loan defaulters, for instance, move from one bank to the other and the banks extend new credits to them, without knowing their history. Banks would be able to track transactions across all banks in Nigeria with more ease.
Re: The Importance Of Bank Verification Number (BVN) by Korofoh: 8:09am On Oct 08, 2018
USAutoBuy:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Where To Buy Wholesale Cosmetic Products In Naija / These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira / Award Under The Growth And Employment (GEM) Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.