Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,497 members, 7,781,494 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:29 PM

Does Camry 1998 Model Uses Gear Oil? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Camry 1998 Model Uses Gear Oil? (1391 Views)

Let's Talk About Automatic Transmission Fluid (gear Oil) / Man Uses "Juju" To Secure His Car After It Broke Down In A Ghetto / Difference Between Toyota Camry 1998 And 2000 Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Camry 1998 Model Uses Gear Oil? by t3ky(m): 9:23am On Mar 12, 2015
Good morning all. I took my car to the lube shop recently, after all the checks, the lubeman showed me a section underneath the car (a recepticle like something) saying that it's dry(contains no fluid) and that it should be filled with gear oil.I told him that there is transmission fluid in the car's transmission, but he said the section for the gear oil is different from that of the Auto trans fluid.I told him to hold on.
I'll appreciate more enlightenment on this from my fellow Nairalanders. thanks in anticipation
N.B sometimes I experience heat radiating from the footwell on the driver's side while I am driving.
Re: Does Camry 1998 Model Uses Gear Oil? by woltom(m): 9:56pm On Mar 12, 2015
Yes it does.Ensure it never gets dry else the axle of ur gear might get hooked.

Used my 99 Camry for 3 years with perfect transmission with the factory installed gear before I sold it for upgrade to a nairalander.It soars like a V6 engine.

Transmission oil is filled thru the dip stick under the hood while the gear oil is filled from under the car

1 Like

Re: Does Camry 1998 Model Uses Gear Oil? by DECOtech(m): 11:32pm On Mar 12, 2015
t3ky:
Good morning all. I took my car to the lube shop recently, after all the checks, the lubeman showed me a section underneath the car (a recepticle like something) saying that it's dry(contains no fluid) and that it should be filled with gear oil.I told him that there is transmission fluid in the car's transmission, but he said the section for the gear oil is different from that of the Auto trans fluid.I told him to hold on.
I'll appreciate more enlightenment on this from my fellow Nairalanders. thanks in anticipation
N.B sometimes I experience heat radiating from the footwell on the driver's side while I am driving.

Some old Camry drivetrains come with a very rare configuration where a drive axle is attached to the transmission instead of being incorporated into it (to have a Transaxle). So, in the case of the rare configuration, there's a separate compartment meant for axle fluid (not ATF).

For the heat in the foot well, I have a question.
-Do you usually have coolant shortage?

If your answer is yes, then I suspect there's a coolant leak from the heater system inside the car therefore heat from hot coolant is what you feel.

Another possible suspicion could be that there's an opening in your vehicle's firewall large enough to allow heat from the engine bay sip into the car.
Re: Does Camry 1998 Model Uses Gear Oil? by sultaan(m): 3:34am On Mar 13, 2015
Why not post a pic of the part your mechanic is taking about so no guessing

2 Likes

Re: Does Camry 1998 Model Uses Gear Oil? by kablooee: 7:36am On Mar 13, 2015
DECOtech:

Some old Camry drivetrains come with a very rare configuration where a drive axle is attached to the transmission instead of being incorporated into it (to have a Transaxle). So, in the case of the rare configuration, there's a separate compartment meant for axle fluid (not ATF).

For the heat in the foot well, I have a question.
-Do you usually have coolant shortage?

If your answer is yes, then I suspect there's a coolant leak from the heater system inside the car therefore heat from hot coolant is what you feel.

Another possible suspicion could be that there's an opening in your vehicle's firewall large enough to allow heat from the engine bay sip into the car.

Nice one.
Re: Does Camry 1998 Model Uses Gear Oil? by senator2k9(m): 7:03am On Mar 15, 2015
I think your mechanic meant to add the axle oil. He is right obviously
Re: Does Camry 1998 Model Uses Gear Oil? by princejones(m): 10:32pm On Mar 15, 2015
I had a similar experience and it begin making humming noise and my mech then(kazeem)suggested bearings which was changed but the noise continue until my car refuse to enter gear,gear box change was suggested and a brought 3 gear box but still no head until my gear axle was change.so l advise you immediate allow the lubeguy to put oil in they for you.my brother is not an experince to go through,l spent allmost 90k and end up buying a new gear box which was not even the issue.
Re: Does Camry 1998 Model Uses Gear Oil? by t3ky(m): 9:51pm On Mar 16, 2015
Thanks for the response, I have gone to the lube guy to have the trans axle fluid filled in. I must say after many years of usage I am still getting to know parts of my faithful 'kamuri'.
@ sultaan.pix of the part will be uploaded as soon as possible.
@ DECOtech, i have coolant shortage although it's minimal, the heat is experienced over time not suddenly and on some days I don't feel it.
Re: Does Camry 1998 Model Uses Gear Oil? by DECOtech(m): 2:49pm On Mar 17, 2015
t3ky:

@ DECOtech, i have coolant shortage although it's minimal, the heat is experienced over time not suddenly and on some days I don't feel it.

As coolant shortage is not a good sign (no matter the rate) I suggest you investigate it by have a technician conduct a coolant pressure test which would help you identify the leakage-point in your car's cooling system for you to carry out repairs accordingly.

t3ky:
the heat is experienced over time not suddenly and on some days I don't feel it.

When next you feel this heat, please check to see if you have mistakenly turned your temperature nob to the hot zone and also check the nobs to see if you have opened to vents that channel air to the foot wells.

(1) (Reply)

Popping, Creaking, Rattling Sound From Moonroof Toyota Camry 2012 / Help / 6 Futuristic Car Technologies That You Can Have In Your Cars Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.