Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Google Code Shutting Down Finally! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Google Code Shutting Down Finally! (1461 Views)

Collins Nji Becomes The First African To Win Google’s Code-in Competition. / Google Code Jam: Round 1A / Shutting Down A Computer Using Notepad (beginners Tutorial) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by Nobody: 4:35am On Mar 13, 2015
See what google sent to me

Hello,

Earlier today, Google announced we will be turning down Google Code Project Hosting. The service started in 2006 with the goal of providing a scalable and reliable way of hosting open source projects. Since that time, millions of people have contributed to open source projects hosted on the site.

But a lot has changed since 2006. In the past nine years, many other options for hosting open source projects have popped up, along with vibrant communities of developers. It’s time to recognize that Google Code’s mission to provide open source projects a home has been accomplished by others, such as GitHub and Bitbucket.

We will be shutting down Google Code over the coming months. Starting today, the site will no longer accept new projects, but will remain functionally unchanged until August 2015. After that, project data will be read-only. Early next year, the site will shut down, but project data will be available for download in an archive format.

As the owner of the following projects, you have several options for migrating your data. . .
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by peteruuu(m): 7:15am On Mar 13, 2015
Okay !
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by Borwe: 7:57am On Mar 13, 2015
Wow, google is slowly becoming closed source. Wait and see, new android verions from 5.2+ will become as shitty closed as apples iPhone and MacOS.
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by Echatbook: 8:44am On Mar 13, 2015
Ok
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by ballantyne: 8:49am On Mar 13, 2015
Github won.
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by ballantyne: 1:47pm On Mar 13, 2015
Borwe:
Wow, google is slowly becoming closed source. Wait and see, new android verions from 5.2+ will become as shitty closed as apples iPhone and MacOS.
I am curious about how you managed to get to this conclusion,
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by codeaddict(m): 4:57pm On Mar 13, 2015
shocked
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by dhtml(m): 9:40pm On Mar 13, 2015
Borwe:
It is very possible. Google used to have some nice open APIs before, but they are gradually closing them one by one. One of them was the former finance API.
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by birdman(m): 5:36am On Mar 14, 2015
dhtml:

It is very possible. Google used to have some nice open APIs before, but they are gradually closing them one by one. One of them was the former finance API.

I cant blame them. Witness Cyanogen trying to fork off Android. Of course they will fail, but in the meantime dilute the brand
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by Seun(m): 7:25am On Mar 14, 2015
Google shuts down projects people love like Google Code & Google Reader, but they refuse to shut down Google Plus. So sad. sad
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by dhtml(m): 7:54am On Mar 14, 2015
^^^This is one of the reasons I was scared to invest my time in some of these google projects, and some of their platforms that seem like a blessing to programmers.
In fact rather than use google chart API, i will rather buy a script online such as highcharts.com and so on.
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by nairaimporter: 12:00pm On Mar 15, 2015
Seun:
Google shuts down projects people love like Google Code & Google Reader, but they refuse to shut down Google Plus. So sad. sad

Dude!

Google isn't shutting down google plus anytime soon.

You seem to think that g+ is a failed project?

As long as google keeps winning among the developer community in other tech space. It's only a matter of time for the whole world to catch on With g+
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by Nobody: 7:43pm On Mar 17, 2015
nairaimporter:

Dude!

Google isn't shutting down google plus anytime soon.

You seem to think that g+ is a failed project?

As long as google keeps winning among the developer community in other tech space. It's only a matter of time for the whole world to catch on With g+

who uses google plus?
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by matrix4u(m): 8:25pm On Mar 17, 2015
sledjama:

who uses google plus?
I do...
Re: Google Code Shutting Down Finally! by lordZOUGA(m): 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2015
I use Google+. It is more active than my Facebook account.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Use Someone's Phone Number To Determine The Exact Location Of D Person / How To Apply For Google Adsense And Get Approved / Are You Looking For Website Development?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.