Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,078 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

Nigerians Why The Tribalism? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Why The Tribalism? (861 Views)

When Will Our Parents Stop Tribalism Will It Ever Stop In Nigeria??? / Sub-tribalism(clanship) In South-east Nigeria / Tribalism Among Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Why The Tribalism? by Ericardo7(m): 11:08am On Mar 13, 2015
Hi,
My Name is Ericardo. I'm a Southerner, from Delta state precisely. There's something troubling my mind that I can't take any longer.
Last week was my grandmothers burial at my home town. . A lot of my friends from my school (Fupre) came to the burial. amongst them was my best friend
Sadiq a Northerner, from Kano to be precise came to that same burial. He not only graced the occasion, but also stayed with me for one week at my family compound. He joined us in observing all the burial rites. He learnt to eat our food, which were sort of strange to him at first but which he came to love. He even went further by attempting to learn my language. He learnt a few words and can make short sentences even though they sounded weird to him at first. In summary, Sadiq Abdullahi, spent one week in my home time and lived like he was one of us.
After that week we both returned to school. After a week, I went home to replenish my stock of food items.
When I got there I had a very nasty experience with my uncles and aunts. They were angry at me for bringing a Northerner or in their words "a boko haram " to my home town. They expressed disgust at his religion, his tribe and his culture. I sat listening to them voice out their complete hatred for a young man Who sacrificed his time, energy and resources to see that their occasion was a success.
When they were done, I began to explain my relationship with the Sadiq. I told them how on uncountable times he has helped me with food clothing and even money, how he was the one Who paid my transportation to the burial after seeing how broke I was at that time. I told them of all the Good things my friend has done for me and how nice he was. All they said in their defense was that he's a Northerner. A Boko Haram. They claimed that his people were ruthless thoughtless killers. We had an argument with my Mum and my siblings supporting me and I left. I was warned not to call on the family for anything (funny when they've not given me a kobo before) unless I stop my friendship with him.

My question to all Nigerians here is simple: Why the hatred? Why the tribalism? Shouldn't an individual be seen for Who he is and not Who some members of his ethnic group are? Americans dont refer to other Americans as "Washington Americans " or "Las Vegas Americans ". An American is always an American and is treated as such wherever he is in America. Why can't we Nigerians allow tribalism to eat deep into us? Every Nigerian should be seen for Who he is (a Nigerian) before anything else.

Please your contributions are welcome. We really need to stop the menace.
Re: Nigerians Why The Tribalism? by OROZONE(m): 11:14am On Mar 13, 2015
Until we're fully civilized tribalism will never end.
Re: Nigerians Why The Tribalism? by Ericardo7(m): 11:17am On Mar 13, 2015
OROZONE:
Until we're fully civilized tribalism will never end.

Bros......true talk
Re: Nigerians Why The Tribalism? by ladionline: 11:38am On Mar 13, 2015
Tribalism is the commander in chief of our country's problems. Wait and see as soon as your thread hit frontpage, the beast would be unleashed.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Why The Tribalism? by Ericardo7(m): 12:40pm On Mar 13, 2015
ladionline:
Tribalism is the commander in chief of our country's problems. Wait and see as soon as your thread hit frontpage, the beast would be unleashed.

really... some you mean people do that too here?
Re: Nigerians Why The Tribalism? by anonymous6(f): 7:44pm On Mar 13, 2015
It is a complex issue with Nigeria but in the end of the day it all boils down to the not so pretty history of Nigeria and the bitterness that resulted from that which has recycled it self today. Until Nigerians face and discuss these issues the source, cases like the story you mentioned will repeat itself.
Re: Nigerians Why The Tribalism? by ladionline: 9:11pm On Mar 13, 2015
Ericardo7:

really... so you mean people do that too here?
The kind of tribalism that goes on here is enough for God to destroy the world. But he kept looking elsewhere. I wonder why. I'm not joking, I am always surprised each day I wake up and feel I'm alive, see I remember sleepwalking one day only to ask my wife 'are we still alive, what went wrong in babylon?' Moral: dont tell me you dont know the rule of the game, I'm not a kid cool.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Why The Tribalism? by StarFlux: 12:18am On Mar 14, 2015
ladionline:
Lol, ooto ni.

See oyinbo thread sef. I tell myself everyone has to start somewhere, hopefully in Nigeria will change at some point.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Dying Tradition Of Tribal Marks / Internet And Work Culture In Nigeria / Ooni Of Ife With K1 D Ultimate, 9ice, Sir Shina Peters On Their Way To Europe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.