Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,575 members, 7,801,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) (23011 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Why This Blood Line Hate Between The Igbo's And yorubas / Finally! The Igbo Languages And Proto-Igbo Reconstructions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Mar 14, 2015
charlsecy:
Igbos are from Southern Nigeria, not eastern Nigeria. In fact, there is no eastern Nigeria.

Is there South Eastern Nigeria?
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by Nobody: 6:57pm On Mar 14, 2015
I love this
Interesting write-up
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by vislabraye(m): 6:58pm On Mar 14, 2015
Some people behave like Ekwensu
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 14, 2015
What are these 5 aspects of Chukwu? The post doesn't name them. My people's belief system mentions only 4.
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by TakeNose: 7:02pm On Mar 14, 2015
charlsecy:
Igbos are from Southern Nigeria, not eastern Nigeria. In fact, there is no eastern Nigeria.
pardon??
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by charlsecy(m): 7:04pm On Mar 14, 2015
Justfollowit:
Is there South Eastern Nigeria?
We have only Northern and Southern regions in Nigeria. Southern Nigeria is futher divided into South-east, South-south and South-west while Northern Nigeria has North-central, North-west and North-east sub-regions.

Anambra, Imo, Abia, Enugu and Ebonyi are in South-eastern region of Nigeria, NOT eastern region of Nigeria. You can put it this way, the mentioned states are in the eastern part of Southern Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 14, 2015
stevikenna:
WITH THE ADVENT OF CHRISTIANITY AND ALL THESE NEO COLONIALISM GOING ON,WE THE IGBOS HAVE QUICKLY FORGOTTEN OUR ROOTS
OUR CULTURE IS ON THE DECLINE,THE LANGUAGE IS DYING AND OUR GREAT SOCIETIES LIKE THE AGE GRADE SYSTEM ARE ALMOST EXTINCT
THIS IS A TIME FOR SOBER REFLECTION,WE NEED TO ASK OURSELVES HOW WE WANT THE FUTURE TO LOOK FOR US
IGBO KWENU! !
heeeyy wink
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by Nobody: 7:11pm On Mar 14, 2015
igbo kwenu cool
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by Nobody: 7:13pm On Mar 14, 2015
charlsecy:

We have only Northern and Southern Nigeria.
In Southern Nigeria,

I did 3months of Geography and more than 36 months of Social studies before I could proceed to senior high. What about you?

N, E, S, W

NE
NW
SW
SE
NC(entral)
SC

And SS -used in Nigeria for emphasis

We took those subjects for a reason. undecided
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by charlsecy(m): 7:15pm On Mar 14, 2015
Justfollowit:

I did 3months of Geography and more than 36 months of Social studies before I could proceed to senior high. What about you?

N, E, S, W

NE
NW
SW
SE
NC(entral)
SC

Northern Nigeria and Southern Nigeria are regions, while the others such as North-central, South-east, and the likes are sub-regions or geopolitical zones.

Nigeria has two regions, and within these regions are six sub-regions. It is important you don't mistake a sub-region for a region. For example, a person from Anambra and a person from Lagos are both Southerners at the regional level, but at the sub-regional level, the Anambrarian is a South-easterner (NOT easterner), while the Lagosian is a South-westerner (NOT westerner). When you say, for instance, that an Anambra person is an easterner, you are assuming Northern Nigeria away.

mezebel:
Ekwensu go behind me...
Do you think Igbo religion sees Ekwensu the way Christians see "him?"

4 Likes

Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by ralmix(m): 7:16pm On Mar 14, 2015
mifavour:

hehe. easy
itz hustle nowadays....
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by micrep3030(m): 7:19pm On Mar 14, 2015
Lol
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by kmariko: 7:22pm On Mar 14, 2015
@Op are you not passing the christian concept of diety as that of Igbos who traditionally believe in multi-diety religion not single diety as you are implying.
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by jreyez(m): 7:24pm On Mar 14, 2015

DOWNLOAD and listen to this cool rap song by me...
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/7dd88312
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by ThaProphet(m): 7:32pm On Mar 14, 2015
Wow. This is great!

Keep dropping that knowledge. An African Renaissance is long overdue.
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by WYman1: 7:33pm On Mar 14, 2015
Justfollowit:

N, E, S, W

NE
NW
SW
SE
NC(entral)
SC

sorry sis...he is right

3 Likes

Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by charlsecy(m): 7:39pm On Mar 14, 2015
I think every culture has their own story about creation and GOD..... but it looks like the colonialists tried to destroy ours. The colonialists attacked everything we have, including our language, that you would be fined for speaking what they called "vernacular." You speak your language and you are whipped.... This is one of the biggest cultural disasters ever experienced. They say your culture is evil; they say your language is backward; they say your religion is demonic......

3 Likes

Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by Idrismusty97(m): 7:42pm On Mar 14, 2015
And they dump all these for the Jewish methodology? Even if they are all bullshît what makes you think that the story of the nailed clown is a sweeter bullshît than your chukwu fairytale?

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by Vainglory: 7:53pm On Mar 14, 2015
The Igbo understanding of the relationship between God (Chukwu) and Satan (Ekwensu) appeals to me better than the Christian version. From the writeup I see that the Igbos take Ekwensu to be serving the purposes of Chukwu and is therefore subservient to Him. This is clearly contradicted to the Christian view of Satan who is always at war with God, and winning most of the time. This view has made God not omnipotent but most of the time helplessly unable to help while his arch enemy, the Satan, wrecks havoc everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by kmariko: 8:08pm On Mar 14, 2015
Ekwensu as a god or "god of evil" does not exist in any traditional Igbo religion. Its purely a christian creation to serve as an equivalent to Satan. Please do your research.
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by Champele(m): 8:23pm On Mar 14, 2015
and this fools(Christians) come change our god to their gods.fools.in my next world,I will remain igbo man.proud igbo boy.GEJ 2015

Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by stingbreed(m): 8:27pm On Mar 14, 2015
Nobody believed d dog shey......?

So now that u know that when u bury someone in ash they will return to life y don't u start practicing it......

U de learn how to talk
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 14, 2015
okonelfg:
abeg can someone explain the first paragraph for me...imagine just finish readin but can't get anything into this my komkom head....only igbo and chukwu is the only thing i can boast of to understand.

Wat is there not to understand, this coconut head, shoould we break your head and put this post for u to understand
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by Scholes007(m): 8:49pm On Mar 14, 2015
kmariko:
Ekwensu as a god or "god of evil" does not exist in any traditional Igbo religion. It purely a christian creation to serve as an equivalent to Satan. Please do your research.
No it is not , it's among the mmuo ojo (evil spirits) that are believed to cause havoc on earth .Ekwensu is just god of tricks and feeds on evil deeds... so there is nothing Christian about it...

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by colored(m): 9:00pm On Mar 14, 2015
are you looking for a good job? Apply here immediately! http:///1220fbfd
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by kmariko: 9:00pm On Mar 14, 2015
Scholes007:

No it is not , it's among the mmuo ojo (evil spirits) that are believed to cause havoc on earth .Ekwensu is just god of tricks and feeds on evil deeds... so there is nothing Christian about it...

Spirit is not a god.
What is equivalent of spirit in Igbo language is it not nmuo. Is nmuo a god?
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by IyfeNamikaze(m): 9:12pm On Mar 14, 2015
kmariko:

Spirit is not a god.
What is equivalent of spirit in Igbo language is it not nmuo. Is nmuo a god?

alusi is the equivalent of god .while nmuo is the equivalent of spirits.
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by kmariko: 9:15pm On Mar 14, 2015
IyfeNamikaze:

alusi is the equivalent of god .while nmuo is the equivalent of spirits.

Is alusi not a place where you worship the Gods. Its like saying that the church is a god. No alusi is not a god
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by IyfeNamikaze(m): 9:20pm On Mar 14, 2015
kmariko:

Is alusi not a place where you worship the Gods. Its like saying that the church is a god. No alusi is not a god

nope alusi means god. have you ever heard this words ... "alusi na eje uka".. meaning " a deity going to church "
Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by macof(m): 9:27pm On Mar 14, 2015
mezebel:
Ekwensu go behind me....
Chukwu all the way.

You do realize certain people pray for Ekwensu's blessings

Get a change...stop listening to ur dumb pastors who are only after ur money
Embrace your Igboness in full...nt jst by claiming Igbo but living Igbo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) by donbenie(m): 9:29pm On Mar 14, 2015
Interesting article,as an Igbo,it's the first time am learning that the deity Ekwensu actually represents much more than the Igbo equivalent of Satan in Igbo Mythology,am impressed OP,keep it up..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chief Tajudeen Gbadesere Is Dead (The Eletu Odibo Of Lagos) / Pidgin: The Language Where Question & Answer Are The Same / DHA 2020: Ooni Of Ife Receives Imperial Royal Father Of The Year Awards In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.