Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,817 members, 7,798,754 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. (14262 Views)

Buhari: Obama Goes For Medical Treatment: A Comparison pics / A Comparison Between The Benin People And The Igbo People Based On Nigerias Hist / Pmb Probe Of The Military, A Vendetta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by Brugo(m): 8:11pm On Mar 14, 2015
bigv:
It would be a mistake and gross travesty to compare Nigeria and the USA. I rest my case.
Bro. It is the law. No president should be allowed to appoint military chiefs singlehandedly.

In the US, they uphold the law. In Nigeria, we dismiss the law.

1 Like

Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by Favourcharles23(f): 8:12pm On Mar 14, 2015
s
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by bigv(m): 8:13pm On Mar 14, 2015
Exactly why I said both countries can't be compared. It would be foolhardy to do so.
Brugo:

Bro. It is the law. No president should be allowed to appoint military chiefs singlehandedly.

In the US, they uphold the law. In Nigeria, we dismiss the law.

1 Like

Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 14, 2015
LRNZH:
PDP has been ruling Nigeria lawless since 1999.
Under them, even lawmakers have become redundant.
Only CHANGE will cure Nigeria of this malaise.
ur thinking is so wasped with stupid thoughts.,u can't even reason clearly..is it only pdp members that makes up the senate chamber? i shouldn't quote u but i couldn't stop.....GEJTILL till people like u start arguing constructively or better still till u go back to school
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by dein77(m): 8:14pm On Mar 14, 2015
Yomieluv:
What do you expect from leaders,who is selfish minded,with little or no knowledge about his/her purpose of being elected.

Till elected post are made unattractive,and the elected is made answerable to the people,circle will continue..

Its only in Nigeria,people want to serve by force,most times,we don't do election,but selections.

Every people deserve their kind of government. It's the DUTY of the masses to pressure the government into doing what's their duty. We have failed in that regard.

We have allowed our leaders so much time and space that they have now become an epidemic on us. We aren't ready to engage them. When we do, Nigeria shall move forward.

Government should fear the people; not the other way round!
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by SpencerLewis(m): 8:15pm On Mar 14, 2015
gurunlocker:
we only have bunch of fat big headed senators in Nigeria with no vision except vision to embezzle money and collect salary more than that of US president
My brotherman u are right. When people like my governor T.A. Orji and his likes are killing themselves to retire in the senate what do u expect from them. What kind of contribution do u expect from T.A. Orji in the senate floor?
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by 19naia(m): 8:16pm On Mar 14, 2015
How do they have time to study/know the guidlines and responsibiliteis of their jobs? They have so much money to be chopping...

1 Like

Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by Nobody: 8:17pm On Mar 14, 2015
Not sure if the Nigerian Defense minister is in the chain of command, but when Obanikoro called an Army general for a meeting, it wasn't out of place for the former (and incoming) Defense minister to give orders to the general; provided that the orders are legal.
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by Nathclinton(m): 8:23pm On Mar 14, 2015
hello
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by killercute16(m): 8:33pm On Mar 14, 2015
The moment the military starts given civilians that space,they (civilians) will definately take the soldiers for granted,i trust my fellow nigerians

1 Like

Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by nestaAK(m): 8:34pm On Mar 14, 2015
Nigeria it is...
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by Champele(m): 8:41pm On Mar 14, 2015
in Nigeria a radical Muslim don't contest for president.and a dictator don't preach change to the people.APC criminals.GEJ till my father forgive buhari the murderer.
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by skullbaba: 8:45pm On Mar 14, 2015
Most of these lawbreakers are tout, they are there for two things to shout hi hi/ nil nil and share oyel money. The senate care about ghana-must-go. The house of reps are a little better but the senate is useless. The senate are there for checks and balances but here they are yes-boys and one of the reason is that party is in the hand of the president. Remember this guy(speaker of the house) that threten obasanjo with impeachment in 2000 or so, obasanjo make sure he never came back to the house that is where the house became the yes boys of the presidency, until a rep/senator (even from the prsident party) go head to head with the president and nothing happen because his seat and representation is with the party and constituency that he represent that we will start having a strong democracy, lawmakers should represnt their people before political party. I am sorry for been not coherent

1 Like

Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by Champele(m): 8:51pm On Mar 14, 2015
Champele:
in America a radical Muslim don't contest for president.and a dictator don't preach change to the people.APC criminals.GEJ till my father forgive buhari the murderer.
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Mar 14, 2015
bigv:
It would be a mistake and gross travesty to compare Nigeria and the USA. I rest my case.
That is very correct because there are too many primitive leaders in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by Nobody: 8:56pm On Mar 14, 2015
killercute16:
The moment the military starts given civilians that space,they (civilians) will definately take the soldiers for granted,i trust my fellow nigerians
That's a legitimate concern. There have been instances where soldiers carry the handbags of politicians' wives; and even to help rig elections.
Soldiers should only follow legal orders.
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by eebruboss(m): 9:16pm On Mar 14, 2015
Best of my knowledge; USA is developed NIGERIA is developing!.... It can only get better...! #change is what can do it
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Mar 14, 2015
this is Nigeria!!
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by ibietela2(m): 9:39pm On Mar 14, 2015
LRNZH:
PDP has been ruling Nigeria lawless since 1999.
Under them, even lawmakers have become redundant.
Only CHANGE will cure Nigeria of this malaise.

was Ameachi/Atiku and others not part of that rule??
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by patrickmuf(m): 9:47pm On Mar 14, 2015
[quote author=Champele post=31620935][/quote] What exactly are you on about?
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by Nobody: 10:18pm On Mar 14, 2015
We have a long way to go
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by lurex2rhyme(m): 11:14pm On Mar 14, 2015
efilefun:
You are a MUMU. Yes I said it.
You are a Mumu! If you think Goodluck Jonathan still got anything to offer Nigeria as a president.

A president that his achievements can't be seen in our neighborhood and streets except on twitter. No impact at all!

A president who said on national TV that the army didn't inform him that they were not ready for election. That just shows incompetence on his part as a President for Christ sake he is the GCFR and if you don't know the meaning of that. GCFR mean - Grand Commander of the Order of Federal Republic of Nigeria. All na politics abi? :]Y

4 weeks gone. Have they found the Chibok girls?

Suicide bombers everywhere in the north. E no concern you abi? Them never reach Lagos?

The robbery on Thursday that lasted for 2 hours or how long in Lagos and our police couldn't stop them because the police have been deployed somewhere else. You see you're not safe on the island wey you pack go leave boys for hood :| . RIP to the girl selling fish to survive. She was killed while trying to make a life for herself. That could have been your sister, ur friend, ur cousin, aunt.

We have the best economy in Africa abi? but $1 - N215 :sS

Nigeria survives on importation - we import everything from Petrol, candles, cars, generator. we even import Food but salary no increase. Do the maths

- GEJ where is our missing $20billion oil money?
- Immigration Job scam! *Youths died no government official got fired or queried*
- FAAN job scam going Now!
Our Power sector gone worse. wattapun? is it APC too :]Y
- Stella Odua aviation corruption and scam.
A government SCAMMING it's own people. MUMU people
GEJ knows you'll forgive and forget about his N150/Litre 2012 new year gift and vote him again cos ya a MUMU

U are a MUMU if you think after 4yrs and Buhari doesn't perform I won't ask for change again.

Vote GEJ out of Aso Rock! Rise up and stop being a MUMU

4 u mind u don write sumtin abi. u tink apc amechi n fashola dat blames d presidency 4 deir failures. u write like ur principal anyway. who said n i quote dat d entire police in lagos state wer post 2 abjua 2 clear d road 4 d presidency on d order of d igp. ask urslf shey d whole divisional police stations, army barracks, mopol base, civil defence ,sss, dss n anti robbery squad base wer empty bt d securities attached to fashola his wife children inlaws tinubu's families. y wer d nt called off baba dnt be biased n irrational in ur tinking.
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by ogbonoeba: 11:58pm On Mar 14, 2015
CFCfan:
The principle of civilian control over the armed forces of a nation is a critical aspect of a democratic/civilian government. Whichever form of civilian rule a country adopts-parliamentary, presidential, or a hybrid of the former, it's always deemed important to ensure that the military submit to civilian control.

In other words, the civilians make policy, while the uniformed folks are expected to salute and execute the policy. This relationship between the crafters of military policy and the military itself differs slightly amongst various democratic nations.

In the U.S., the military chain of command, by virtue of Article 2 of the constitution, and the provisions of the Goldwater Nichols Act of 1987, runs from the President-Secretary of Defense-Combatant commanders-Unit commanders.

The US Senate, in accordance with the provisions of Article 1 of the constitution, have the powers to confirm the President's nominees for the posts of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs (equivalent to Nigeria's CDS), the five service chiefs, the combatant commanders, and the heads of specialized commands such as the Special Operations Command (SOCOM), Transport command etc. The legislative body also had the powers to confirm the President's nominees for commander of US troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Furthermore, the US Congress is the only body with sole power to close US military bases.

In Nigeria, despite the existence of the 2004 Armed Forces Act, Presidents Obasanjo, Yar'Adua, and Jonathan have routinely 'appointed' service chiefs without confirmation from the Senate. Late last year, a Federal High Court basically ruled that appointing service chiefs without Senate confirmation is null and void. It seems that a majority of Nigerian senators are/were even ignorant of the law! It only took a suit filed by Festus Keyamo, seeking enforcement of the law, for the Senators to wake up to their responsibility.

First of all, don't compare Nigeria with America.
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by OmoUSH(m): 12:21am On Mar 15, 2015
grin
Comparing USA with Nigeria in the first place was a gross tragedy!
Re: Civilian Control Over The Military: A Comparison Between Nigeria And The U.S. by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 13, 2015
The next set of service chiefs must be confirmed by the NASS.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peter Obi’s Eid Message To Nigerian Muslims. / Olakunle Oluomo Emerges Speaker Of Ogun State Assembly / PDP To Rent Out 8 Floors In Abandoned National Secretariat For Revenue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.