Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,209 members, 7,807,703 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Is It A Sin To Bet? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin To Bet? (17164 Views)

'I Know It's A Sin, Yet I Fall Into It Everytime' / Opinion; Is It Not A Sin To Call The Day That Jesus Died "A Good Friday" ? / Is It A Sin To Style A Haircut? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by slap1(m): 5:34am On Mar 22, 2015
blym4real:

It seems you've made a choice already. Otherwise I don't see how gaining from gambling is similar to gaining from a boss' sack.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tbaba1234: 5:34am On Mar 22, 2015
smoothpapuzy:
I have been educated on the gains of venturing into the world of betting. I mean, the cash is cool for I saw a dude today that won 95k with a 100 naira ticket.
I don't want to displease God so please I need your advice. Is it a sin to bet?

How many times do people make such winnings?

Do you know that gambling is addictive and has destroyed homes and families?

I am a muslim and the ruling for us is clear:

O you who have believed, indeed, intoxicants, gambling, [sacrificing on] stone alters [to other than Allah ], and divining arrows are but defilement from the work of Satan, so avoid it that you may be successful.

Satan only wants to cause between you animosity and hatred through intoxicants and gambling and to avert you from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer. So will you not desist?

Surah 5:90-91

4 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 5:35am On Mar 22, 2015
slap1:
It seems you've made a choice already. Otherwise I don't see how gaining from gambling is similar to gaining from a boss' sack.
So far he is not addicted to it, I don't see any wrong in sport betting.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 5:37am On Mar 22, 2015
tbaba1234:

How many times do people make such winnings?

Do you know that gambling is addictive and has destroyed homes and families?

I am a muslim and the ruling for us is clear:

O you who have believed, indeed, intoxicants, gambling, [sacrificing on] stone alters [to other than Allah ], and divining arrows are but defilement from the work of Satan, so avoid it that you may be successful.

Satan only wants to cause between you animosity and hatred through intoxicants and gambling and to avert you from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer. So will you not desist?

Surah 5:90-91

Anything can become addictive, even listening to music.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tbaba1234: 5:37am On Mar 22, 2015
blym4real:

Key word: so far..

Most people do not know, they are addicted until they try to stop.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by centjamie(m): 5:37am On Mar 22, 2015
It is not a sin for an adult who is mature enough to understand the pros and cons of gambling to engage in it.gambling can actually serve as one's legitimate source of income.

It is only bad and becomes a sin when it is done excessively and indescriminately as too much of everything is bad.
Another case where gambling becomes a sin is when it is being done by a minor who doesn't have the psychological back bone to withstand the effects of gambling as this can lead him into stealing and other social vices.

Conclusively,gambling is not a sin when an adult who makes his own money,who understands the implication of the activity and also ready to abide by its rule engages in it.it becomes a sin when he allows it to lead him into doing negative things.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Missmossy(f): 5:38am On Mar 22, 2015
I'd be as blunt as i can, anything associated with uncleanliness/iniquity is a sin so gambling is unarguably a sin. Stay away from it and be just in all your ways then God will crown your efforts with success smiley

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tbaba1234: 5:39am On Mar 22, 2015
blym4real:

Anything can become addictive, even listening to music.

Well, listening to music does not make you blow away family savings and start borrowing.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by slap1(m): 5:43am On Mar 22, 2015
blym4real:

That's more like it. Gays see nothing wrong with what they practise. That's the wisdom of man which often amounts to foolishness.

Addiction starts with an innocuous step. Gambling is bad! It has destroyed men, families and destinies.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 5:47am On Mar 22, 2015
tbaba1234:

Well, listening to music does not make you blow away family savings and start borrowing.
That is if he is addicted. Gambling can be done moderately. Binary option trading and forex are also gambling.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by mcfynest(m): 5:48am On Mar 22, 2015
smoothpapuzy:
I have been educated on the gains of venturing into the world of betting. I mean, the cash is cool for I saw a dude today that won 95k with a 100 naira ticket.
I don't want to displease God so please I need your advice. Is it a sin to bet?

hmmmmm this one is ga gan o.

i think by fore you venture into it, you need prayers and let the holy spirit take charge. betting is also a kind of business. it involves capital n risks. what matters most is how you see it.

but this online business i will teach you will never question your beliefs. .check my signature.

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 5:49am On Mar 22, 2015
slap1:
That's more like it. Gays see nothing wrong with what they practise. That's the wisdom of man which often amounts to foolishness.

Addiction starts with an innocuous step. Gambling is bad! It has destroyed men, families and destinies.
Forex trading and binary option are also form of gambling.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 5:51am On Mar 22, 2015
slap1:

likewise It has made men,families and destinies.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tbaba1234: 5:52am On Mar 22, 2015
blym4real:

That is if he is addicted. Gambling can be done moderately. Binary option trading and forex are also gambling.

And I do not subscribe to either.

Many addicted people delude themselves that they can stop anytime. Till, they actually try to stop.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Bae026: 5:52am On Mar 22, 2015
Game

Let me educate some of us (nairalanders) that have little or no idea on this betting tingy.

Life is gambling. Work is gambling, Falling in love/dating these are all gambling. Almost everything we indulge into happens to be gambling.

Now as a graduate, university, HND etc...you are entitled to using your head in all you do.

My story!
I earn 40k in my present work place, I live with friends...Lagos isn't friendly with transportation, feeding etc. So, I put 100/200..and I earn 60k in two days with loads of data usage/time consumption/ maximum calculations etc.. and someone is saying IT'S a SIN

Send your congratulatory messages... I won yesterday again and again.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tbaba1234: 5:53am On Mar 22, 2015
blym4real:
likewise It has made men,families and destinies.

Much more are ruined.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by FEROH: 5:53am On Mar 22, 2015
[b][/b] Gambling is not explicitly mentioned in the bible but the truth is that there is this inner voice in you that tells you when something is not morally good when you do it including gambling. You and I knows what that inner voice is. For me all I know is that people who are morally good or wants to be morally good don't gamble.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by BlackLeopard(m): 5:54am On Mar 22, 2015
From religious perspective, anything that is worldly could be understood as a sin. If you gamble instead of praying, it's a sin. If it leads to hurting people, it's a sin. Cause -> effect.

So I would worry less about if it's a sin, more about how it will affect your life, and your family, and your community. God can't act through you if you're lost, brother. Gotta pay attention to God within more than scriptures on this and that.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 5:54am On Mar 22, 2015
tbaba1234:

And I do not subscribe to either.

Many addicted people delude themselves that they can stop anytime. Till, they actually try to stop.

your bank even use your money for forex.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by mike404(m): 5:55am On Mar 22, 2015
waistaa:
What sort of gambling are you talking about because life decisions can be seen as gambling,you going to buy products to resell aint it gambling coz you wan to make more money to meet up with necessary things,my people say "ana eji ego achu ego" ( you use money to get money). My dear let's live our life the way we (by conscience) feel is good and stop invoking what doesn't concern us.thank you
ONE BOTTLE OF OH MPA FOR YOU grin
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 5:55am On Mar 22, 2015
FEROH:
[b][/b] Gambling is not explicitly mentioned in the bible but the truth is that there is this inner voice in you that tells you when something is not morally good when you do it including gambling. You and I knows what that inner voice is. For me all I know is that people who are morally good or wants to be morally good don't gamble.
what of forex trading?
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tbaba1234: 5:56am On Mar 22, 2015
blym4real:

your bank even use your money for forex.

I am not my bank.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by BlackLeopard(m): 5:56am On Mar 22, 2015
tbaba1234:

If you need music so much and spend all the money on new one? If you need music from countries it's hard to get? If you travel a lot just for gigs? If you make music and put all da moneyz on equipment while listening to others? If you _____ ... thousands ifs.

All I'm saying measure in everything, every activity of life can lead to ruining that life in excess.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Rahmatuparker: 6:00am On Mar 22, 2015
Islamically it is bad
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 6:01am On Mar 22, 2015
tbaba1234:

I am not my bank.
but you are benefiting from the interest on the money which majorly is from forex.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 6:03am On Mar 22, 2015
BlackLeopard:

If you need music so much and spend all the money on new one? If you need music from countries it's hard to get? If you travel a lot just for gigs? If you make music and put all da moneyz on equipment while listening to others? If you _____ ... thousands ifs.

All I'm saying measure in everything, every activity of life can lead to ruining that life in excess.
You have said it all.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tbaba1234: 6:04am On Mar 22, 2015
blym4real:

but you are benefiting from the interest on the money which majorly is from forex.

I do not consume interest. It has no benefit to me.

Muslims don't consume interest.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Nobody: 6:04am On Mar 22, 2015
Nothing is a sin unless you are a sin .....If you start having that thought that is a sin then it is.

I have searched the scripture am yet to see a verse about gambling . Everything should be done moderately ....I will only see it as a vice if it is done excessively.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by AlphaDibia(m): 6:04am On Mar 22, 2015
In the bible, there were prophets. They prophesized, made Forecasts. Semantics. Betting is just a simple case of mathematical predictions. You get paid for making the right predictions. You win, you're a genius. You lose, you've been robbed.

Betting becomes a sin when it becomes addictive.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tbaba1234: 6:07am On Mar 22, 2015
BlackLeopard:

It is all bad, a person addicted to music just needs youtube in the modern world.

No addiction is healthy but some are more dangerous than others.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by blym4real: 6:08am On Mar 22, 2015
tbaba1234:

I do not consume interest. It has no benefit to me.

Muslims don't consume interest.
that means you don't bank with any nigerian banks.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Nobody: 6:09am On Mar 22, 2015
AlphaDibia:
In the bible, there were prophets. They prophesized, made Forecasts. Semantics. Betting is just a simple case of mathematical predictions. You get paid for making the right predictions. You win, you're a genius. You lose, you've been robbed.

Betting becomes a sin when it becomes addictive.

Getting addicted to NL is also a sin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Points To Show That Jesus Is God Of The Old Testament Too / Happy Feast Of Assupmtion To All Catholics / T.B Joshua Again: I See Death Of An Argentinian Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.