Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,842 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

How Lucrative Is Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Lucrative Is Programming (4696 Views)

How Hard Is Programming / Is Programming A Profitable Skill? / Is Learning Auto Cad Software Still Lucrative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Lucrative Is Programming by Nobody: 4:13am On Mar 15, 2015
After reading safari's girl post of how she is "tired of law". I decided to share my experience to know if i should continue or leave my chosen course of study.

Am a student of Unn, currently studying public administration and local government. I used to be one of the best students in my class all through my first year till i lost my sponsor in second year, my mum lost her job and relocated to the village since then to survive in school has been a major problem.

My performance just started dropping and i started to lose interest in school and my chosen course of study.

Before I realised i used to be very good in computer not exaggerating, used to be one of the best back in secondary school. So i discovered programming and started learning different languages. Now i can't say am really very good at programming but i understand basic programming. I have learnt four programming/mark-up languages- html, Css, Javascript and php and still learning everyday.

Pls my questions are:

Which Programming languages will u advice i learn?

Which programming language will get me a job easily?

Do programming jobs in Nigeria require a degree before u are considered?

Pls NLers ur comment/advice is needed. Thanks for reading my post.
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by Nobody: 4:21am On Mar 15, 2015
HTML is not a programming language, neither is CSS. They are markup tools.
PHP is a scripting language useful for web development.
And JS is highly debated as a language itself, though it is
useful for some dynamic coding. As for dropping out of
school, you need to weigh the odds. It's your call but you
need to really analyse the situation. Can you not pull through
school till the end?

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by Nobody: 4:29am On Mar 15, 2015
sirRiddy:
school till the end?

I've analysed the situation bro, it has not been easy for me. Pls sir which program do you advice i learn that will get me a job easily.
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by Nobody: 4:32am On Mar 15, 2015
I cannot choose a language or platform for you to learn. I can only
advice you to take whatever you choose to do seriously. Wish you luck!
fdxboss:

I've analysed the situation bro, it has not been easy for me. Pls sir which program do you advice i learn that will get me a job easily.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by mployer(m): 6:18am On Mar 15, 2015
You better find a way to complete your schooling. Not everyone in school has a sponsor.

Coding is a serious task and time-consuming. The time you invest in learning it can be used in other 'hussles' that will see you through school.

There is no questions of wether it is lucrative, you already know few names that made it big through programming. But the sad truth is they are the lucky few. Majority of programmers are broke undecided How many times do you see them advertise for 10k web design on here undecided

It is a risky vocation just like football. We only get to hear the amount the European clubs are paying but no one bothers about the take home pay of an average Nigerian league player...and truly not all career footballers got a chance to play in Europe.

So bro, take programming as a spare-time hobby and not a chosen career at this stage, you can still hit it big if it is your destiny. Most of the big names started this way........just do a little research.
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by codemarshal08(m): 6:44am On Mar 15, 2015
mployer:

You better find a way to complete your schooling. Not everyone in school has a sponsor.

Coding is a serious task and time-consuming. The time you invest in learning it can be used in other 'hussles' that will see you through school.

There is no questions of wether it is lucrative, you already know few names that made it big through programming. But the sad truth is they are the lucky few. Majority of programmers are broke undecided How times do you see them advertise for 10k web design on here undecided

It is a risky vocation just like football. We only get to hear the amount the European clubs are paying but no one bothers about the take home pay of an average Nigerian league player...and truly not all career footballers got a chance to play in Europe.

So bro, take programming as a spare-time hobby and not a chosen career at this stage, you can still hit it big if it is your destiny. Most of the big names started this way........just do a little research.
you said it all bro..

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by blackjack21(m): 8:00am On Mar 15, 2015
fdxboss:

I've analysed the situation bro, it has not been easy for me. Pls sir which program do you advice i learn that will [bget me a job easily.[/b]

Follow your passion, learn to be accomplish not to get a job.
Don't pray for easy life, look for strength to overcome difficulties.
Programming is all about what you can do and what you can do not.

08:00:05
Sun, Mar 15, 2015
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by blueyedgeek(m): 9:14am On Mar 15, 2015
sirRiddy:
school till the end?
JS is debated as a language itself? By whom?
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by Nobody: 9:19am On Mar 15, 2015
fdxboss:
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 15, 2015
blackjack21:

[quote author=blackjack21 post=31631037]

I want to be accomplished bro through programming cos I just feel this kinda satisfaction everytime I sit and program a new web page or learn a new program. Pls help me out bro with programming languages I can learn if i want to become a software developer someday.
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by GodMode: 9:21am On Mar 15, 2015
fdxboss

So money is your problem

You need to start taking your studies seriously.. Lack of money is meant to boost your motivation to be successful.

Don't listen to mployer gringringringrin

You can either:
Get a job

Or

Learn more about Internet Marketing..

If u want to make money you have to become a reader and a risk taker...

Don't mind safarigirl post...

You need to learn technical methods that bring in cash...

If you want to make money Nairaland is not for you cos it doesn't encourage such.
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by Nobody: 10:17am On Mar 15, 2015
GodMode:
fdxboss

So money is your problem

You need to start taking your studies seriously.. Lack of money is meant to boost your motivation to be successful.

Don't listen to mployer gringringringrin

You can either:
Get a job

Or

Learn more about Internet Marketing..

If u want to make money you have to become a reader and a risk taker...

Don't mind safarigirl post...

You need to learn technical methods that bring in cash...

If you want to make money Nairaland is not for you cos it doesn't encourage such.

Yh Money is a major problem bro, am a very good reader and am willing to take risks when I see them and weigh the odds properly.

Pls wat are the technical methods that bring in cash pls and if not nairaland, where is advisable??
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by GodMode: 10:50am On Mar 15, 2015
fdxboss:

Yh Money is a major problem bro, am a very good reader and am willing to take risks when I see them and weigh the odds properly.

Pls wat are the technical methods that bring in cash pls and if not nairaland, where is advisable??

You already have knowledge of programming( which is the most important technical skill you need) , all you have to do is keep improving... Try creating scripts and sell them on codecanyon.net

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by Nobody: 11:04am On Mar 15, 2015
GodMode:

You already have knowledge of programming( which is the most important technical skill you need) , all you have to do is keep improving... Try creating scripts and sell them on codecanyon.net
Pls hope u dont mind if i email u for more details
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by GodMode: 11:36am On Mar 15, 2015
fdxboss:
Pls hope u dont mind if i email u for more details

Nairaland pm doesn't work.
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by Nobody: 12:03pm On Mar 15, 2015
GodMode:

Nairaland pm doesn't work.
ok emmafdxdavies at yahoo dot com is my email. Thanks in advance
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by GodMode: 12:10pm On Mar 15, 2015
fdxboss:

I've read your signature... Ask for what you want here... cos other people need to learn.. The only reason I'll mail you is if I get banned cos anytime I mention some important sites or points on making money I usually get banned..

That's why I said Nairaland doesn't encourage it.
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by HCpaul(m): 12:38pm On Mar 15, 2015
Words of encouragement

Let me start by addressing the limitation money can cause.
Money is an hindrance to greatness. Too much of passion for it will hinder you from manifesting your skills (open source community). A lack of it can seperate you from your dream.

You are asking two questions:

- How do i improve my programming skills

- How do i convert my skills into monetry form.

How do i improve my programming skills

You can achieve this by having a heart decision. And also, by not comparing yourself with others. Always crave and desire to make a difference and not aspiring to become an expert. You can get this skill by looking beyond your ability. Naturally, your ability is limited. Then, be unlimited in Faith, creative power, mind agility, deligence, persistence, discipline, and an uncomparable heart.

Never compare, because you cannot survive comparism. Establish an unquitable mind, despite the challenges that may comes your way. When you comes accross challenges, instead of you to quit, abandon the work and come back after refreshment (with great courage). Dont give up, never give up. Embrace mathematics and equate it with programming to improve your skills. Ignore money first, and cultivate on your skill first. The difference you make in your skill will advertise and launch you to your own world. By the time you acqire those skills, your brain will be wide enough to transmit the same into monetry form.

Conveting your skills into finance

Get this right; Knowledge is not wealth.
The skills you have acqired are different, while you now propel yourself into another realm of work.
Note: Most professors are not rich. Have you ever seen a professor becoming the richest man in the world? They are only pregnant with teaching knowledge, while they cannot convert it into money.

Those who emerge as billoniare in the computing industry, are mostly innovative in business, and not just relying on their skills.
No one will setup your business strategy for you. You think and emerge riches. You can have great skill and never be great rich. Business man are the richest people in the world. Start up a business today and maintain the proper schemes, concepts, and principle. Give space for investment. Let it be logical. Set a mystery. Think.

Did you know that #1 (Naira) from a thousand people will make you control thousands. #2 (Naira) from a million people will make you become a milloniare. Create your own calculation. Be innovative.
Well, let us contact.

5 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by GodMode: 12:55pm On Mar 15, 2015
HCpaul:
Words of encouragement

Money is an hindrance to greatness. Too much of passion for it will hinder you from manifesting your skills (open source community). A lack of it can seperate you from your dream.

You can achieve this by having a heart decision. And also, by not comparing yourself with others. Always crave and desire to make a difference and not aspiring to become an expert. You can get this skill by looking beyond your ability. Naturally, your ability is limited. Then, be unlimited in Faith, creative power, mind agility, deligence, persistence, discipline, and an uncomparable heart.

Never compare, because you cannot survive comparism. Establish an unquitable mind, despite the challenges that may comes your way. When you comes accross challenges, instead of you to quit, abandon the work and come back after refreshment (with great courage). Dont give up, never give up. Embrace mathematics and equate it with programming to improve your skills. Ignore money first, and cultivate on your skill first. The difference you make in your skill will advertise and launch you to your own world. By the time you acqire those skills, your brain will be wide enough to transmit the same into monetry form.

The skills you have acqired are different, while you now propel yourself into another realm of work.
Note: Most professors are not rich. Have you ever seen a professor becoming the richest man in the world? They are only pregnant with teaching knowledge, while they cannot convert it into money.

Those who emerge as billoniare in the computing industry, are mostly innovative in business, and not just relying on their skills.
No one will setup your business strategy for you. You think and emerge riches. You can have great skill and never be great rich.
Business man are the richest people in the world. Start up a business today and maintain the proper schemes, concepts, and principle. Give space for investment. Let it be logical. Set a mystery. Think.

Did you know that #1 (Naira) from a thousand people will make you control thousands. #2 (Naira) from a million people will make you become a milloniare. Create your own calculation. Be innovative.
Well, let us contact.

Story for those who don't read...

In programming, your skills defines how much you will make..
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by HCpaul(m): 1:11pm On Mar 15, 2015
GodMode:

I doubt whether you are brilliant at all. What you read is not what you are commenting about. If there be something you worked upon and transmit into finance, there must be ideas, skills and creativity. My first perspective advocate him to cultivate on his skills. But skills is not money. Many great computer pioneers in the past are not all that rich. They will maintain an average class; meaning, they will not be too rich and not too poor. Accumulation of money is a different knowledge. Who and where did your skill spread to, when competition and repetitive works keep emerging. If you believe in your skills and ignoring implementation of your business strategy, you may end up poor.

By your skills, you may be employed in a company, and be giving like 500,000 naira per month. Now, tell me; Will you ever be rich like bill gate with that amount of money? Knowledge is not money, money is not wealth.

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by GodMode: 1:20pm On Mar 15, 2015
HCpaul:

I doubt whether you are brilliant at all. What you read is not what you are commenting about. If there be something you worked upon and transmit into finance, there must be ideas, skills and creativity. My first perspective advocate him to cultivate on his skills. But skills is not money. Many great computer pioneers in the past are not all that rich. They will maintain an average class; meaning, they will not be too rich and not too poor. Accumulation of money is a different knowledge. Who and where did your skill spread to, when competition and repetitive works keep emerging. If you believe in your skills and ignoring implementation of your business strategy, you may end up poor.

By your skills, you may be employed in a company, and be giving like 500,000 naira per month. Now, tell me; Will you ever be rich like bill gate with that amount of money? Knowledge is not money, money is not wealth.

Who told you they are not rich

Who told you they are maintaining an average class

Rich programmers live an "average" life but if you know how wealthy they are you'll be surprised...

The "average class lifestyle" is what they want you to see...

Do you know the amount of donations the creators of programming languages get

People donate to "open source" development if its allowed...
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by HCpaul(m): 1:44pm On Mar 15, 2015
GodMode:

Rich programmers live an "average" life but if you know how wealthy they are you'll be surprised...

Do you the amount of donations the creators of programming languages get

Ok. I surrender. Is that not what you want? Did you love such reputation? I cant just continue with an endless arguments. Am talking to the OP and not you. Whether they are rich or poor, that is not an error. Just go to the colledge of silence and discipline. This is my last post.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by GodMode: 1:51pm On Mar 15, 2015
HCpaul:

Ok. I surrender. Is that not what you want? Did you love such reputation? I cant just continue with an endless arguments. Am talking to the OP and not you. Whether they are rich or poor, that is not an error. Just go to the colledge of silence and discipline. This is my last post.

Okay
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 15, 2015
HCpaul:
Words of encouragement

No one will setup your business strategy for you. You think and emerge riches. You can have great skill and never be great rich. Business man are the richest people in the world. Start up a business today and maintain the proper schemes, concepts, and principle. Give space for investment. Let it be logical. Set a mystery. Think.

Well, let us contact.

They say

"Decisions are the hardest move to make...
Especially when it's a choice between where you
should be and where you want to be"

Am really confused right now because where I want to be is become a software developer but where I should be is school but I have no resources to accomplish this and this has made me lose interest too.

Pls help me out bro if u can, this is my number: 08056964766. Thanks
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by Nobody: 2:42pm On Mar 15, 2015
GodMode:

Do you the amount of donations the creators of programming languages get

Please bro, wat do u mean by open source development. I want to become a software developer one day, pls ur advice me on what and what to do as to achieve this as i trust u're already a successful programmer. Ur word of advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by Nobody: 2:45pm On Mar 15, 2015
mployer:

There is no questions of wether it is lucrative, you already know few names that made it big through programming. But the sad truth is they are the lucky few. Majority of programmers are broke undecided How many times do you see them advertise for 10k web design on here undecided

Pls bro in terms of hustling, watz ur definition of hustling i can do so as to pursue this course. Thanks
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by GodMode: 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2015
fdxboss:

Please bro, wat do u mean by open source development. I want to become a software developer one day, pls ur advice me on what and what to do as to achieve this as i trust u're already a successful programmer. Ur word of advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Note: this is my opinion

Open Source means free source-code(the scripts you write). Free in the sense that, all the scripts written to create a program are available and nothing is hidden or payment is not required to see the scripts a programmer writes.

I'm not yet a successful programmer... I'm just a learner...

Like mployer said "take it as a hobby"... Programming requires time to learn... You need to face your studies and if possible learn programming on the side... Make sure u get your degree...

No one is going to spoon feed you on how to be successful..

Make google and youtube your friend cos all the programming tutorials you need are online...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by trytillmake(m): 11:25am On Mar 16, 2015
GodMode:

Well @GodMode, yr post castigating HCPAUL, i dn't think u understand the guys writeup, wat he is saying is yr being the best coder might nt really propel u to being rich or financially well off although u might be comfortable as a freeelance or employed in a firm, bit innovativenes makes a resourceful developer, check out facebook or Microsoft, Mark and Bill were not the best coders in their class or school but they ideas dat will lead to people oriented program mes hence their breakthrough in their fields. Back to naija the owner of interswitch he had an idea hence his story inhis own field, so the conversion of yr coding skills to finance is wat will lead to yr making money not being the best coder in yr location.

===========BACK TO THE OP
Mr OP i understand yr plight hence i thank GOD for Nairaland,cause it helps to share concrete ideas amongst ourselves in diverse fields, i will advice you to try finish school, u can solicit help from yr uncles or relations and try inform some of yr lecturers of yr plight so as nt to carry over courses that will now lead to extra yr and expenses.

U need to be at least a graduate to be employed in naija IT firms,[being a graduate is more than certificate, it shows u are able to comform with laid down rules and regulations and tofollow a structure toward achieving a goal] the IT firms might nt need u to be a graduate if u are really that good but because of presentation sake that education background is necessary.

=========HOW U MAKE MONEY AS CODER NOW

I will advice u, since say u knw PHP, hence u have the basics to go for c#/mssql server and java with android development [note java is nt really hard, i learnt the basics in one evening bw 10pm and 4am since i wanted to create and android app] if u knw c# that well do some projects with it, basically

SUPERMARKET MANAGEMENT SYSTEM USING BARCODE CODE READER
HOSPITAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
PETROL STATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

These projects u can accomplish on yr own and sell to big supermarkets, pharmacies, hospitals e.t.c cause it will enable the automate their sales and will guide against cheating from staff[where i work a COPER just sold his for 200k to a pharmacy] so u can school at same time make out time to code and solve specific problems for firms that will be of need to them.

Not forgetting android apps development is here now, companies will like to development their own apps at least for show to enhance their customer base,u can be of help in creating those applications.

Also if are good in coding u can apply for jobs even if u are not yet a graduate, the key thing there is to show yr jobs and hw creative u are, i tell uif the firm do not see who they can employ they can at least take you as freelance pending when u finish school, note most owners of businesses the hussled their way through school too, so do not gve up.

=============TO BE A BETTER CODER IN THE ABOVE LANGUAGES

C# -- BASIC---MOSTLY HW I LEARN'T MINE[I currently work as a developer]

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/csharp/csharp.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBsGRqXzOhk Video tutorial

JAVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1fu6f8Hto

OK, this is just the beginning u can as well get more info online or thru nairaland, also u can ask question here on wat u dont understand.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by GodMode: 11:49am On Mar 16, 2015
trytillmake:

Well @GodMode, yr post castigating HCPAUL, i dn't think u understand the guys writeup, wat he is saying is yr being the best coder might nt really propel u to being rich or financially well off although u might be comfortable as a freeelance or employed in a firm, bit innovativenes makes a resourceful developer, check out facebook or Microsoft, Mark and Bill were not the best coders in their [/b]class or school but they ideas dat will [b]lead to people oriented program mes hence their breakthrough in their fields. Back to naija the owner of interswitch he had an idea hence his story inhis own field, so the conversion of yr coding skills to finance is wat will lead to yr making money not being the best coder in yr location.

It sickens me when people mention mark and bill in reference to been a successful programmer..

There are millions of successful programmers you will never hear of...

If you know what been the "best coder" means you won't comment such...
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by trytillmake(m): 10:13am On Mar 17, 2015
GodMode:

It sickens me when people mention mark and bill in reference to been a successful programmer..

There are millions of successful programmers you will never hear of...

If you know what been the "best coder" means you won't comment such...

Bro it aint about being the best coder,it is about how resourceful u are towards putting yr code to generate for u financially, the main there is the idea, watsapp today was sold for 19billion our Nigerian guy that apple bought his app for 1billion were thinking out of the box,that is were coding lies, think out of the box to solve societal needs hence u will be recognized, locally and internationally.
Re: How Lucrative Is Programming by Pffft: 5:05pm On Mar 17, 2015
fdxboss:
After reading safari's girl post of how she is "tired of law". I decided to share my experience to know if i should continue or leave my chosen course of study.

Am a student of Unn, currently studying public administration and local government. I used to be one of the best students in my class all through my first year till i lost my sponsor in second year, my mum lost her job and relocated to the village since then to survive in school has been a major problem.

My performance just started dropping and i started to lose interest in school and my chosen course of study.

Before I realised i used to be very good in computer not exaggerating, used to be one of the best back in secondary school. So i discovered programming and started learning different languages. Now i can't say am really very good at programming but i understand basic programming. I have learnt four programming/mark-up languages- html, Css, Javascript and php and still learning everyday.

Pls my questions are:

Which Programming languages will u advice i learn?

Which programming language will get me a job easily?

Do programming jobs in Nigeria require a degree before u are considered?

Pls NLers ur comment/advice is needed. Thanks for reading my post.

Read Jon Sonmez's book Soft Skills: A software developer's life manual. Thank me later
check here http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Skills-software-developers-manual/dp/1617292397

(1) (Reply)

My New Start Up, Life As A Programmer And Testimony. / Simple Server / How Did You Learn Javascript?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.