Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,780 members, 7,802,410 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? (11010 Views)

Statue Of Mary 'begins Weeping Blood' At A Church In Argentina (photo) / Did Mary Rise To Heaven Without Dying? / Prophetess Mary Olubori Twerks For Her Husband (Pics + Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Tbillz(m): 7:39am On Mar 15, 2015
Many a times I have been puzzled by these very question but will appreciate if people in that field can shed more light on that " after the birth of Christ Jesus as a virgin, Did she give birth to other kids according to the bible?
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Acekidc4(m): 7:43am On Mar 15, 2015
As far as I know YES!!

1 Like

Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 15, 2015
Sure now! Read your bible
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by BeeBeeOoh(m): 7:48am On Mar 15, 2015
Yes! It's somewhere in Matthew, can't remember it anymore..
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by menix(m): 7:52am On Mar 15, 2015
Shoo, oga OP did u not attend sunday skool..
Hit ur bible nah its der thou cant say d book cous i don backslide since....
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 15, 2015
Yea aside from Jesus, she had four other sons, Joseph, James, Jude and simon. For references go to - (mark 6 : 3 ; Acts 1: 14)

2 Likes

Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 7:57am On Mar 15, 2015
What do u want to do with her other Kids?

1 Like

Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 7:59am On Mar 15, 2015
Mary gave birth to at least 6 other children after Jesus: 4boys and at LEAST 2 girls. Mark 6:3
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by SalC: 7:59am On Mar 15, 2015
No at least non that can be proven from the bible.
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by asadike(f): 7:59am On Mar 15, 2015
Op, are u a catholic? Mary have other children.

1 Like

Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Tbillz(m): 8:06am On Mar 15, 2015
I am not a catholic, some one asked me that same question but I think she has other children, myBad I have not read about it in the bible but thanks for the reference
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by swaggzo(m): 8:49am On Mar 15, 2015
lol
just wait for the attack from nairaland Bible warriors.. hahaha.

but I don't think she had other children.. even if she did, shouldn't our focus be on the messiah? the one who was sent to us by the father to liberate us from the many shittty things of this terrible world?
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by SalC: 9:54am On Mar 15, 2015
Tbillz:
I am not a catholic, some one asked me that same question but I think she has other children, myBad I have not read about it in the bible but thanks for the reference
You have not read it from the bible yet you think? Why?
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by SalC: 10:04am On Mar 15, 2015
swaggzo:
lol
just wait for the attack from nairaland Bible warriors.. hahaha.

but I don't think she had other children.. even if she did, shouldn't our focus be on the messiah? the one who was sent to us by the father to liberate us from the many shittty things of this terrible world?
I don't think there is any need for attack here, the op asked the question in a very civil manner. The best anyone can do is answer the question in a civil manner too.

Though I've read Mark 6:3, Act 1:14, Matt 13:55, Matt 12:46 Gal 1:19 etc, I still believe Mary had no other children. smiley

1 Like

Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 15, 2015
Tbillz:
Many a times I have been puzzled by these very question but will appreciate if people in that field can shed more light on that " after the birth of Christ Jesus as a virgin, Did she give birth to other kids according to the bible?
No the Virgin Mary gave birth to only to Jesus. The belief that St Mary had other children is a recent Protestant innovation. Even the early founders of Protestantism like Calvin and Luther taught and believed in the perpetual virginity of the Blessed Virgin.

1 Like

Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Jeromejnr(m): 12:50pm On Mar 15, 2015
I saw none of the other apostles--only James, the Lord's brother. Gal 1: 19

Paul calls James the brother of Jesus.

The Gospel of Mark 6:3 and the Gospel of Matthew 13:55-56 state that a James, Joses (or Joseph), Judas, and Simon were the brothers of Jesus, the son of Mary. The same verses also mention unnamed sisters of Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by SalC: 1:21pm On Mar 15, 2015
Jeromejnr:

The Gospel of Mark 6:3 and the Gospel of Matthew 13:55-56 state that a James, Joses (or Joseph), Judas, and Simon were the brothers of Jesus, the son of Mary. The same verses also mention unnamed sisters of Jesus.
Paul clearly stated that this James "the Lord's brother" is also an apostle of Jesus. Among the apostles of Jesus we have two peoples named James. My question is, whom among the is actually the Lord's brother?

Hint- Mark 3:16-19
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Jeromejnr(m): 1:42pm On Mar 15, 2015
SalC:
Paul clearly stated that this James "the Lord's brother" is also an apostle of Jesus. Among the apostles of Jesus we have two peoples named James. My question is, whom among the is actually the Lord's brother?

Hint- Mark 3:16-19

Well the James we are talking about couldn't have been His disciple at that time because that belief contradicts this scripture:
John 7:3-5. It says that even His brothers didn't believe Him. So it is obvious they became believers later on.
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by SalC: 1:51pm On Mar 15, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Well the James we are talking about couldn't have been His disciple at that time because that belief contradicts this scripture:
John 7:3-5. It says that even His brothers didn't believe Him. So it is obvious they became believers later on.
Good thought but ...
That verse didn't say the said James is his disciple it says James is his "apostle" I hope you know the difference.

From the time of Jesus' existence to the end of the bible writing, there are just 12 apostles of Jesus among numerous disciples. Even after the death of Jesus, we didn't hear of any other apostle except Paul who at a point address himself as an apostle and by implication Mathias who replaced Judas.

So when you hear Paul say "apostle" his is referring to someone among the twelve.
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Jeromejnr(m): 2:06pm On Mar 15, 2015
SalC:

Good thought but ...
That verse didn't say the said James is his disciple it says James is his "apostle" I hope you know the difference.

From the time of Jesus' existence to the end of the bible writing, there are just 12 apostles of Jesus among numerous disciples. Even after the death of Jesus, we didn't hear of any other apostle except Paul who at a point address himself as an apostle and by implication Mathias who replaced Judas.

So when you hear Paul say "apostle" his is referring to someone among the twelve.

Okay I get...
But it could definitely not be James the brother of John because he had been killed by Herod. It could be the other.

But anyways we can't know everything. Even the theologians have not arrived at a conclusion of the matter. Some say it might be His cousin.

One thing I am sure though, the Lord had blood relatives.
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by SalC: 2:23pm On Mar 15, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Okay I get...
But it could definitely not be James the brother of John because he had been killed by Herod. It could be the other.

But anyways we can't know everything. Even the theologians have not arrived at a conclusion of the matter. Some say it might be His cousin.

One thing I am sure though, the Lord had blood relatives.
Yes it's not the brother of John, it's the son of Alpheus and am one of those who agree they are cousins.

It take a careful study of the bible and comparism to understand it. I wish I have much strength to type now.

There are many things to consider, ....while the writers address some people as the brothers of Jesus, they never referred to them as the children of Mary the mother of Jesus.

In the bible too, we see the mention of "Mary the mother of James and Joseph" yet this Mary isn't the mother of Jesus.

The only person Jesus himself referred to as the "son of Mary his mother" is John funny enough he is not her son as he is the son of Zebedee.

When Jesus resurrected and asked Mary Magdalene to go tell that to his brothers, she went to tell the apostles, the question is why?

So many things to type but not strength smiley
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Jeromejnr(m): 2:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
SalC:
Yes it's not the brother of John, it's the son of Alpheus and am one of those who agree they are cousins.

It take a careful study of the bible and comparism to understand it. I wish I have much strength to type now.

There are many things to consider, ....while the writers address some people as the brothers of Jesus, they never referred to them as the children of Mary the mother of Jesus.

In the bible too, we see the mention of "Mary the mother of James and Joseph" yet this Mary isn't the mother of Jesus.

The only person Jesus himself referred to as the "son of Mary his mother" is John funny enough he is not her son as he is the son of Zebedee.

When Jesus resurrected and asked Mary Magdalene to go tell that to his brothers, she went to tell the apostles, the question is why?

So many things to type but not strength smiley

Okay so therefore Mary died a virgin. What of Joseph? Did he marry another person? If he did why? Did God telll him to do so? So Mary could become the only Holy unblemished human apart from Jesus.

But even if she was a virgin till death. I don't see why we should pray to Mary or she should be a mediator. The scriptures are clearly against that.
1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

You know God knowing how men love to idolize things said through Jesus when a woman tried to praise His mother:
“As he said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, ‘Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that you nursed!’ But he said, ‘But even more Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!’” (Luke 11:27-28)

So If I can hear the word and do them I should also be prayed to like Mary. Yes I know we should give honor to whom honor is due but not give d place meant for God to a human being like me. Because in God's eye we and Mary are all His children alike.

I have someone now suffering uneccesarily because of the commandments of men that has been taught which hinders the manifestation God's power. Imagine someone saying she prefers praying to Mary than to God Himself Chai!.
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by SalC: 2:58pm On Mar 15, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Okay so therefore Mary died a virgin. What of Joseph? Did he marry another person? If he did why? Did God telll him to do so? So Mary could become the only Holy unblemished human apart from Jesus.

But even if she was a virgin till death. I don't see why we should pray to Mary or she should be a mediator. The scriptures are clearly against that.
1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

You know God knowing how men love to idolize things said through Jesus when a woman tried to praise His mother:
“As he said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, ‘Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that you nursed!’ But he said, ‘But even more Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!’” (Luke 11:27-28)

So If I can hear the word and do them I should also be prayed to like Mary. Yes I know we should give honor to whom honor is due but not give d place meant for God to a human being like me. Because in God's eye we and Mary are all His children alike.

I have someone now suffering uneccesarily because of the commandments of men that has been taught which hinders the manifestation God's power. Imagine someone saying she prefers praying to Mary than to God Himself Chai!.
You are already going beyond the scope of this thread. The topic has nothing to do with praying or not praying to Mary. It simply to clarify if Mary has other children. Let's not derail the thread.
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Jeromejnr(m): 3:04pm On Mar 15, 2015
SalC:
You are already going beyond the scope of this thread. The topic has nothing to do with praying or not praying to Mary. It simply to clarify if Mary has other children. Let's not derail the thread.

Okay lipsrsealed wink
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Horus(m): 3:20pm On Mar 15, 2015
Tbillz:

Yes, she gave birth to other kids and one of them was Simeon who was called Niger (Act 13:1)

Act 13:1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon who
was called Niger
, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by SalC: 3:26pm On Mar 15, 2015
Horus:

Yes, she give birth to other kids and one of them was Simeon who was called Niger (Act 13:1)

Act 13:1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon who
was called Niger
, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
Lol
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by ogejov(f): 3:29pm On Mar 15, 2015
Why do some of us worship our daddy GO and we keep on talking abt the mother of our Lord Jesus. We should honour her jare she deserve the best. I love u mother Mary. She has no other child than Jesus. Son behold your mother,mother behold your son. We are brothers and sisters
Re: Did Mary Give Birth To Other Children Aside Jesus Christ? by Horus(m): 4:04pm On Mar 15, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Yes they are the brothers of Jesus. Notice the use of the word brethren in Matthew 13:55:

brethren (definition) archaic plural of brother.

Matthew 13:55: "Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simeon , and Judas?"

Mark 6:3: "Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him."

(1) (Reply)

What Is Heaven Like? / Why Are Jehovah Witness Not Given Attention / God's Generals; The Story Of Smith Wigglesworth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.