Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. (3387 Views)

Closed / Car Tips: Keys To A Long-lasting Vehicle / My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by Dgame7: 7:43pm On Mar 15, 2015
Pls advice needed.
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by Dgame7: 9:24pm On Mar 15, 2015
I tend to run my engine for up to 2 hours with d A/C on almost everyday during my work tym due to d weather. Pls can this affect the engine. Thanks
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by Edunwa302(m): 9:36pm On Mar 15, 2015
Ur owner's manual shld tell you more, beside its not Ideal to do such as that may course rise of engine temp, your car needs more than inbuilt cooling system for perfect cooling as air that pass through the car's while on motion helps a lot in engine cooling
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by lonelydora: 11:50pm On Mar 15, 2015
Guess you are not heading to "A/C dey drink fuel" when you are in holdup?
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by Dgame7: 7:31am On Mar 16, 2015
I dont mind the fuel consumption, i am worried about the engine.
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by honmusa(m): 8:46am On Mar 16, 2015
Dgame7:
I tend to run my engine for up to 2 hours with d A/C on almost everyday during my work tym due to d weather. Pls can this affect the engine. Thanks
Constantly using ur ac on ur car tends to put extra load on ur powertrain system.this car lead to more wear and tear in ur engine if car maintance culture is poor .so far u maintain ur car regularly when due , u are good to go.

1 Like

Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:28am On Mar 16, 2015
Edunwa302:
Ur owner's manual shld tell you more, beside its not Ideal to do such as that may course rise of engine temp, your car needs more than inbuilt cooling system for perfect cooling as air that pass through the car's while on motion helps a lot in engine cooling

Your are wrong

thats the reason why the fan should kick in when the coolant has reached certain degrees so it will never overheat as long the thermostat and thermometer are working fine

4 Likes

Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by Dgame7: 9:47am On Mar 16, 2015
[My thermostat works fine nd the engine doesnt overheat.
quote author=ZIMDRILL post=31664951]

Your are wrong

thats the reason why the fan should kick in when the coolant has reached certain degrees so it will never overheat as long the thermostat and thermometer are working fine

[/quote]
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by adanny01(m): 9:50am On Mar 16, 2015
It is not a bad thing per say. If you check your user manual, am sure it must have recommended a service period specifically for such conditions. Conditions such as excessive idling, stop and go traffic, hill climbing, very hot weather and towing require shorter service period than normal conditions.

If to say your manual recommends service at 5000km, in your condition, service may be at 3,500-4,000km. If your car is cooling system is working normally, there wont be a problem. Your car engine would have worn more than the same car of its age at any particular time because of this condition. This also implies to another user who plies dirt roads will have his suspension parts worn out sooner than the same car of the same age plying only the highway.

2 Likes

Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by Edunwa302(m): 10:13am On Mar 16, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

Your are wrong

Who's talking of over heat here, did you understand my post at all ?
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by adanny01(m): 10:52am On Mar 16, 2015
Edunwa302:

You were not entirely wrong especially in asking the OP to refer to his user manual. That was critical.

However, you said and i quote "your car needs more than inbuilt cooling system for perfect cooling". This and the rest of the sentence i believe is why ZIMDRILL said you are wrong. His car needs nothing more than prompt recommended service. It is only in the long run that the wear of the engine and associated parts will fall in and that cannot be avoided by any means other than proper servicing.

Referring to this comment of yours, 'air that pass through the car's while on motion helps a lot in engine cooling', thats why the car is designed that the fan mostly stops when moving but kicks in when you have stopped. The actual controller for when the fan kicks in is the coolant temp sensor through the ECU. Only the coolant temperature determines if the fan is needed or not. So if the car is moving and the air is cooling the engine within required temp, the fan remains off and comes on when probably you have stopped and the temperature is going above required so the fan comes on. This way the fan itself has a longer lifespan being saved from over working. On another situation were the fan is off but the air passing as a result of movement cools the coolant below required the thermostat stops water circulation so that the required heat will build up.

From this explanation nothing is additionally required except if there is a fault with the cooling system and in that case the fan may not be able to cool it successfully.

2 Likes

Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by Edunwa302(m): 12:06pm On Mar 16, 2015
adanny01:

You were not entirely wrong especially in asking the OP to refer to his user manual. That was critical.

However, you said and i quote "your car needs more than inbuilt cooling system for perfect cooling". This and the rest of the sentence i believe is why ZIMDRILL said you are wrong. His car needs nothing more than prompt recommended service. It is only in the long run that the wear of the engine and associated parts will fall in and that cannot be avoided by any means other than proper servicing.

Referring to this comment of yours, 'air that pass through the car's while on motion helps a lot in engine cooling', thats why the car is designed that the fan mostly stops when moving but kicks in when you have stopped. The actual controller for when the fan kicks in is the coolant temp sensor through the ECU. Only the coolant temperature determines if the fan is needed or not. So if the car is moving and the air is cooling the engine within required temp, the fan remains off and comes on when probably you have stopped and the temperature is going above required so the fan comes on. This way the fan itself has a longer lifespan being saved from over working. On another situation were the fan is off but the air passing as a result of movement cools the coolant below required the thermostat stops water circulation so that the required heat will build up.

From this explanation nothing is additionally required except if there is a fault with the cooling system and in that case the fan may not be able to cool it successfully.
In as in much as I respect ur knowledge on automotive, all the above explanation is currect on vehicle cooling system operation, BUT the op is asking of the implications of such long idling practice and all I am insinuating is that its not an ideal practice to life of his engine INSHORT MY CAR OWNERS MANUAL WARNED AGAINTS LONG IDLING
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by adanny01(m): 12:40pm On Mar 16, 2015
Edunwa302:

In as in much as I respect ur knowledge on automotive, all the above explanation is currect on vehicle cooling system operation, BUT the op is asking of the implications of such long idling practice and all I am insinuating is that its not an ideal practice to life of his engine INSHORT MY CAR OWNERS MANUAL WARNED AGAINTS LONG IDLING

I am shocked that your owners manual warns against excessive idling.

This is what my manual says;

U.S. Owners - Follow the
Maintenance Schedule for Severe
Conditions if you drive your car
MAINLY under one or more of the
following conditions.

-Driving less than 5 miles (8 km)
per trip or, in freezing
temperatures, driving less than 10
miles (16 km) per trip.

-Driving in extremely hot [over
90°F (32°C)] conditions.

-Extensive idling or long periods of
stop-and-go driving, such as a taxi
or a commercial delivery vehicle.

-Trailer towing, driving with a roof
rack, or driving in mountainous
conditions.

-Driving on muddy, dusty, or
deiced roads.

NOTE: If you only OCCASIONALLY
drive under a ‘‘severe’’ condition, you
should follow the Normal Conditions
Maintenance Schedule.

Canadian Owners - Follow the
Conditions.

I guess, when those cars reach Nigeria, severe conditions should be followed.
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by Edunwa302(m): 1:25pm On Mar 16, 2015
adanny01:

I am shocked that your owners manual warns against excessive idling.

This is what my manual says;

U.S. Owners - Follow the
Conditions if you drive your car
MAINLY under one or more of the
following conditions.

-Driving less than 5 miles (8 km)
per trip or, in freezing
temperatures, driving less than 10
miles (16 km) per trip.

-Driving in extremely hot [over
90°F (32°C)] conditions.

-Extensive idling or long periods of
stop-and-go driving, such as a taxi
or a commercial delivery vehicle.

-Trailer towing, driving with a roof
rack, or driving in mountainous
conditions.

-Driving on muddy, dusty, or
deiced roads.

NOTE: If you only OCCASIONALLY
drive under a ‘‘severe’’ condition, you
should follow the Normal Conditions
Maintenance Schedule.

Canadian Owners - Follow the
Conditions.

I guess, when those cars reach Nigeria, severe conditions should be followed.

Yes, different manufacturer, difference maintenance habit
Mine simply put on pics below marked with black

Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by adanny01(m): 1:47pm On Mar 16, 2015
Edunwa302:

Yes, different manufacturer, difference maintenance habit
Mine simply put on pics below marked with black

I understand.

I noticed it is written "Avoid unnecessary stopping and braking". When you get caught up in traffic how will you avoid stopping and braking?
I ask the same question with that of idling, if the weather condition is very hot and i want to be cool while held up in traffic, how else can i avoid idling?

If they use the word 'avoid', it doesn't mean you must not do it but it means your action will be putting additional stress on the car. We all know that. If the weather were very cold such as in 5 degrees would i need the A/C? I cant avoid situations where its hot and wish to cool down. The avoid used is conditional.
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by Edunwa302(m): 2:49pm On Mar 16, 2015
adanny01:

I understand.

I noticed it is written "Avoid unnecessary stopping and braking". When you get caught up in traffic how will you avoid stopping and braking?
I ask the same question with that of idling, if the weather condition is very hot and i want to be cool while held up in traffic, how else can i avoid idling?

If they use the word 'avoid', it doesn't mean you must not do it but it means your action will be putting additional stress on the car. We all know that. If the weather were very cold such as in 5 degrees would i need the A/C? I cant avoid situations where its hot and wish to cool down. The avoid used is conditional.

"I ask the same question with that of idling, if the weather condition is very hot and i want to be cool while held up in traffic, how else can i avoid idling?".........sorry abt the poor picture quality but if you look well, they said, IF NOT IN TRAFFIC, YOU SHOULD PUT OFF THE ENGINE.
this are safe driving ethics from the manufacture in other to achieve long life span of the vehicle. Remember the op said he want to leave the engine idling up to Two hours everyday, that can be a healthy practice for the car.
Have you ever idle your car for 30minute and touch the hood with your hand, it ll be very hot BUT you can make more than 50km trip on your car and feel the hood, you will be surprise its just warm
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by Dgame7: 2:55pm On Mar 16, 2015
The vehicle is a Toyota hilux.
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by bravolad(m): 8:19pm On Mar 16, 2015
It's always a good course of action to stay within the recommendations of the manufacturer. You will never go wrong for that. There may be obvious damage to the engine or the cooling system provided your service is done at the right interval & with the right engine oil. However, there's tendency for your engine to overheat as a result of excessive idling.

In my RX330, Toyota recommends that you don't idle the vehicle for more than 20 minutes. But my Toyota Sienna 3MZ FE 3.3l engine, the same engine with RX330 did not specify that. So the saying that different strokes for different folk readily comes to mind. Except when it's absolutely unavoidable why would you want to idle an engine for too long. On countless occasions, I have seen the aids of the current senate president idle their official cars while waiting for the Oga at the top who is in the church. So for the duration of the mass, these guys recline the seats an sleep with ful a/c. An absolute waste of public funds.

1 Like

Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by adanny01(m): 8:23pm On Mar 16, 2015
Edunwa302:

"I ask the same question with that of idling, if the weather condition is very hot and i want to be cool while held up in traffic, how else can i avoid idling?".........sorry abt the poor picture quality but if you look well, they said, IF NOT IN TRAFFIC, YOU SHOULD PUT OFF THE ENGINE.
this are safe driving ethics from the manufacture in other to achieve long life span of the vehicle. Remember the op said he want to leave the engine idling up to Two hours everyday, that can be a healthy practice for the car.
Have you ever idle your car for 30minute and touch the hood with your hand, it ll be very hot BUT you can make more than 50km trip on your car and feel the hood, you will be surprise its just warm

We dont have much to argue about cos i see no other reason i would idle my car for even 10 minutes when the A/C is not required or i dont need to move. If the op says he idles his car for 2 hrs the 1st thing i assume is that he is using the A/C. My friend out of power failure couldnt sleep and had no fuel in his generator slept in the car using A/C. If he today says he left his car idling for 5hrs what will be your assumption. The other person i know who left his car idling for 5 hrs without using A/C was passed out drunk! You see! Lets drop the matter.

1 Like

Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by Dgame7: 9:25pm On Mar 16, 2015
adanny01:

No one will like to idle his car gor so long witout reasons. i am presently at d north eastern part of d country. I am always on d move.
We dont have much to argue about cos i see no other reason i would idle my car for even 10 minutes when the A/C is not required or i dont need to move. If the op says he idles his car for 2 hrs the 1st thing i assume is that he is using the A/C. My friend out of power failure couldnt sleep and had no fuel in his generator slept in the car using A/C. If he today says he left his car idling for 5hrs what will be your assumption. The other person i know who left his car idling for 5 hrs without using A/C was passed out drunk! You see! Lets drop the matter.
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by Dgame7: 9:27pm On Mar 16, 2015
No one will like to idle his car gor so long witout reasons. i am presently at d north eastern part of d country. I am always on d move. I can also remain at some places dat i cant put off my engine.
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:36pm On Mar 16, 2015
Edunwa302:

it seems you dont few things about cars

he asked if a car idles while AC is on for long period wont it cause any problem

then i mentioned overheating because aslong the cooling system is not tempered with they wont be any problem the reason being if the car idles with or without AC on and engine temperature reaches a certian degree the thermostat open to let cool coolant in and the fan kicks in to cool down the coolant that came from the engine, this is normal process of car especially when it at stand still

when you are driving the fan job is turnover by air passing through radiator as air is forced through is due to the speed of the car

as far as i know most cities done allow idling engines for certain period of time because of so called going green, less carbon fumes for no reason

just remember that those diesel electric generators engines and they can run for hours and car with everything working normal can idle for hours as well but the question is who would idle his/her car for hours except when you are trapped canadian winter storm
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by adanny01(m): 9:36am On Mar 17, 2015
[quote author=Dgame7 post=31687778][/quote]

Guy, you scared be because you quoted me and wrote in the quote which i thought i ws the one who wrote. I was very sure i am not in the north east or have been there or written that i was.

Any way, I do understand that with the kind of heat and dust from there, if fuel is not your problem, idling certainly will not be a problem.
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by blackfm: 11:57am On Mar 18, 2015
I don't think it's a good idea to idle for long. Sometimes last week, I was idling with the AC running , after about 45mins and i noticed my temp gauge was almost on red and quickly powered down the car.
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by honmusa(m): 12:03pm On Mar 18, 2015
blackfm:
I don't think it's a good idea to idle for long. Sometimes last week, I was idling with the AC running , after about 45mins and i noticed my temp gauge was almost on red and quickly powered down the car.
if becos u idle ur car for too long while on ac and ur car wanted to overheat, u need to check ur fan , it is going bad .I am sure ur fan is directly connected.
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by blackfm: 2:48pm On Mar 18, 2015
honmusa:

if becos u idle ur car for too long while on ac and ur car wanted to overheat, u need to check ur fan , it is going bad .I am sure ur fan is directly connected.
My fan isn't directly connected.it was before but I switched it back to factory setting earlier this month. It's been sung here time after time how bad that is for the car.
Re: Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. by honmusa(m): 3:03pm On Mar 18, 2015
blackfm:

My fan isn't directly connected.it was before but I switched it back to factory setting earlier this month. It's been sung here time after time how bad that is for the car.
Fan that has been directly connected tends to lose their power over the years cos is suppose to work intermittently .if your car tends to overheat while on idle with ac on is a sign that your fan is on it way out .Try to change ur fan lest the fan disappoint u when u least expect it which can cost u another engine .

(1) (Reply)

Cars Now Available For Sale On Konga / Photo: This Is What Will Happen When A Litre Of PMS Is Sold For A N1000 / How Do I Remove Water Spots From The Windscreen & Other Glass Parts Of The Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.