Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,458 members, 7,801,140 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

V8 /v12 Mercedes.... - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / V8 /v12 Mercedes.... (7022 Views)

Help!!! Need Advise Concerning A 2001 S600 Mercedes Benz With V12 Engine........ / Motorcycles With V8 Engines / A Deeper Look At The Lamborghini Aventador’s New V12 And ISR Gearbox (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by rainmaker12(m): 8:44pm On Mar 15, 2015
Which of mercedes sedan cars would you option for when you want power... real power. Talking bout v8/ v12 engines turbo and chargers.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by R0ckefeller: 9:32pm On Mar 15, 2015
E and s class(amg)
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by peterjero(m): 10:32pm On Mar 15, 2015
V12 is just bulky and not for speed

1 Like

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 12:37am On Mar 16, 2015
peterjero:

Eheeeen? Oga, I don't know if u're talking about Honda, Toyota, Kia or Innoson [And that is even if they ever produced V12] but this 1998 Bmw 850i was not built for strolling from Iyana-Ipaja to Agege, not to mention the Bmw 760Li.

Bugatti Veyron uses W16 by the way and it's still the fastest.

2 Likes

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 2:05am On Mar 16, 2015
peterjero:

Go try an SL65 AMG, S65 AMG, G65 AMG, 760Li then come back modify and rephrase your sentence.
A porsche 911 can't keep up with a 760Li with 6.0L V12.

4 Likes

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by chucky234(m): 8:26am On Mar 16, 2015
A well pimped G65 AMG will sure do the magic.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by nurey(m): 8:16pm On Mar 16, 2015
Zoharariel:

Eheeeen? Oga, I don't know if u're talking about Honda, Toyota, Kia or Innoson [And that is even if they ever produced V12] but this 1998 Bmw 850i was not built for strolling from Iyana-Ipaja to Agege, not to mention the Bmw 760Li.

I saw that exact BMW in lagos just two weeks ago, I can't remember where exactly but I will try to retrace my movement the colour was red and I thought what kind of BMW is this nah, looks like an out dated crap, thank God I didn't bother challenging it. Lol

1 Like

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 16, 2015
nurey:

I saw that exact BMW in lagos just two weeks ago, I can't remember where exactly but I will try to retrace my movement the colour was red and I thought what kind of BMW is this nah, looks like an out dated crap, thank God I didn't bother challenging it. Lol
If you see that beemer again no attempt to use your 3.0L V6 193bhp Sienna Toyota to compete with it or else na the wheel nuts of your sienna we go come pick.

4 Likes

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 10:07pm On Mar 16, 2015
nurey:

Haaaaa! My Sire, that machine is old but it can throw you into next week within 5minutes.

Jason Statham drove it in Italian Job.

2 Likes

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by nurey(m): 7:01am On Mar 17, 2015
lomomike:

If you see that beemer again no attempt to use your 3.0L V6 193bhp Sienna Toyota to compete with it or else na the wheel nuts of your sienna we go come pick.

This bro sha, waiting for the day I will always escape your attack, seems you have something with the sienna, abi sienna don fall your hand before grin
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by nurey(m): 7:02am On Mar 17, 2015
Zoharariel:

Haaaaa! My Sire, that machine is old but it can throw you into next week within 5minutes.

Now this got me cracking up grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by oseo1(m): 7:15am On Mar 17, 2015
In reality the performance difference between the v8 and v12 in most cars is marginal and it's not comparable with the difference in price. Let's use the G63 and G65 as an example, the G65 costs over $100k more than the G63, but gives you about 70hp more. It's 0-60mph time is only improved by 0.1seconds from 5.4 - 5.3.

Even the biggest fans of mercedes will tell you the price difference isn't worth the improvements over the v8 models (please note I'm only referring to the v8 amg models)
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Homguy(m): 4:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
Zoharariel:

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Homguy(m): 4:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
Zoharariel:

after researching this ride, I honestly feel its a waste driving this currently. A V12 dishinng out only about 265hp stock is really poor. There are modern V6 rides that make almost and even more horsepower than this, while providing outstanding driving experience. IMO
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 5:01pm On Mar 17, 2015
Homguy:
after researching this ride, I honestly feel its a waste driving this currently. A V12 dishinng out only about 265hp stock is really poor. There are modern V6 rides that make almost and even more horsepower than this, while providing outstanding driving experience. IMO

That was in those days. That beemer is old model
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by peterjero(m): 6:09pm On Mar 17, 2015
I am apologising for my statement of v12 been bulky, but would you buy a v12 benz s600 or BMW 760li for race or its luxury. If I drive the 2000 Toyota supra turbo, I will smoke that BMW 850i, German cars are over rated. Even the Nissan GT-R will smoke it.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 17, 2015
Homguy:

The BMW 850 came with different engine variants.

The M70B50 [5.0Litre] engine came with 221KW-296HP while the M73B54 engine [5.4Litre] came with 240KW-322HP.

The S70B56 engine [5.6Litre] came with 279KW-375HP, and that was as far back as 1990.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Homguy(m): 8:38pm On Mar 17, 2015
lomomike:

That was in those days. That beemer is old model
that's my point. Driving this ride in this age, is not economical as most cars can dole out as much power without having 12 mouths to feed.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Homguy(m): 8:41pm On Mar 17, 2015
Zoharariel:

The BMW 850 came with different engine variants.

The M70B50 [5.0Litre] engine came with 221KW-296HP while the M73B54 engine [5.4Litre] came with 240KW-322HP.

The S70B56 engine [5.6Litre] came with 279KW-375HP, and that was as far back as 1990.
my point is a modern car with these engine configuration would fork out far more horsepower,Torque and probably better handling. So why cruise this except for nostalgia, or antic appreciation.

1 Like

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by rainmaker12(m): 9:53am On Mar 18, 2015
Zoharariel:

LMAO....sh....t !!!

1 Like

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by holuwamurewa(m): 12:26am On Apr 06, 2015
peterjero:
I am apologising for my statement of v12 been bulky, but would you buy a v12 benz s600 or BMW 760li for race or its luxury. If I drive the 2000 Toyota supra turbo, I will smoke that BMW 850i, German cars are over rated. Even the Nissan GT-R will smoke it.
German cars are still running the market the veyron we all know today was actually engineered by volkswagen after acquiring bugatti
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by lonelydora: 12:37am On Apr 06, 2015
Engine Power improves with time. You can't compare a 1998 car with a 2015 car.

Just like the posted topic of Armoured car with 30hp years back.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by peterjero(m): 9:46am On Apr 06, 2015
holuwamurewa:
German cars are still running the market the veyron we all know today was actually engineered by volkswagen after acquiring bugatti
Can you afford one? But I can afford a GT-R, when something is exclusive it becomes valued unnecessary.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 12:15pm On Apr 06, 2015
peterjero:

Can you afford one? But I can afford a GT-R, when something is exclusive it becomes valued unnecessary.

The way folks underrate Japanese cars. They think European cars are the Alpha and omega. They've forgotten when a Japanese goes Kamizake no one stands a chance.

The Mazda rx7 was one very respectable driver's car with 267 bhp, the rx8 is another thing entirely, the mitsubishi evo series is a beast in tin milk engine, coming from a microwave manufacturer, the subaru series is another god, not to talk of the lexus LF series, Toyota supra, Honda nsx, civic type R, Nissan GT-R et al. These are cars with little engines (except for some v6, v8, v12) and if Japanese guys go haywire, in their own private garages, they can bump out as much as 1000 bhp from a car.

2 Likes

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 06, 2015
lomomike:

The way folks underrate Japanese cars. They think European cars are the Alpha and omega. They've forgotten when a Japanese goes Kamizake no one stands a chance.
The Mazda rx7 was one very respectable driver's car with 267 bhp, the rx8 is another thing entirely, the mitsubishi evo series is a beast in tin milk engine, coming from a microwave manufacturer, the subaru series is another god, not to talk of the lexus LF series, Toyota supra, Honda nsx, civic type R, Nissan GT-R et al. These are cars with little engines (except for some v6, v8, v12) and if Japanese guys go haywire, in their own private garages, they can bump out as much as 1000 bhp from a car.
Have u seen an SLS AMG? or the all new Mercedes-Benz GT? There's a reason they don't use Toyota and other Japanese cars as Safety cars in formula-1. You keep screaming Japanese cars are fast they can't even keep up in formula-1 while their European counterparts keep lifting trophies yearly.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 1:32pm On Apr 06, 2015
Phinga:

Have u seen an SLS AMG? or the all new Mercedes-Benz GT? There's a reason they don't use Toyota and other Japanese cars as Safety cars in formula-1. You keep screaming Japanese cars are fast they can't even keep up in formula-1 while their European counterparts keep lifting trophies yearly.

Have I seen an SLS? Lol.... Let's forget that, have you seen it before?
Have you seem a Godzilla before or a mitsubishi Evo?
Have you watched their drag race videos?

A 2.0l 4 cylinder awd tailing a V10 awd?

Bro, most F1 races in Europe use European Supercars as safety cars. Mind you safety cars don't run anywhere as fast as F1 cars, rather they act as guide for F1 cars in circuit where the F1 cars MUST NOT go faster or over take the safety car for the duration that safety car is on the track. Even a Micra can act as a safety car.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 06, 2015
lomomike:

Have I seen an SLS? Lol.... Let's forget that, have you seen it before?
Have you seem a Godzilla before or a mitsubishi Evo?
Have you watched their drag race videos?

A 2.0l 4 cylinder awd tailing a V10 awd?

Bro, most F1 races in Europe use European Supercars as safety cars. Mind you safety cars don't run anywhere as fast as F1 cars, rather they act as guide for F1 cars in circuit where the F1 cars MUST NOT go faster or over take the safety car for the duration that safety car is on the track. Even a Micra can act as a safety car.
I know what safety cars do and thanks for avoiding the part where I wrote about their achievements in F1 tourney, I'm talking about the race too. The fact remains technology wise and research wise Asian autos are miles behind their European counterpart. Their cars are not balanced hence high risk of losing control at top speeds.it's not all about speed, handling is very important too. The limit I'll reach in an ML 63 I won't try it in an RX you won't dare too.There's a reason the mega rich and auto enthusiasts would pick a Ferrari, SLS,or porsche over a Japanese GT.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 06, 2015
Phinga:

I know what safety cars do and thanks for avoiding the part where I wrote about their achievements in F1 tourney, I'm talking about the race too. The fact remains technology wise and research wise Asian autos are miles behind their European counterpart. Their cars are not balanced hence high risk of losing control at top speeds.it's not all about speed, handling is very important too. The limit I'll reach in an ML 63 I won't try it in an RX you won't dare too.There's a reason the mega rich and auto enthusiasts would pick a Ferrari, SLS,or porsche over a Japanese GT.
Stop ranting, you comparing an ML 63 with an RX shows you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to racing and racing tech. ML63 is a race/performance biased suv, RX on the other hand is Recreational Crossover. Stop trying to defend what you know not, you've shot yourself in the leg over and over.
Mega rich choose these supercars doesn't mean they can outdo a Nissan GT-R, or a Lexus LF-R. When the GT-R was released in 2007, it was the cheapest, but it thrumped all the expensive HyperCard, beat them and made a show of them.

So what do you say your point is again?

FIY, 2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo does 0-60= 2.5secs flat out
A lexus LF-A does 0-60 =3.9 sec without launch mode. It cost approx $300k

Let's talk mitsubishi evo VIII "BBC's television series Top Gear demonstrated that the stock FQ-400 could surprisingly keep up with a Lamborghini Murciélago around a test track. The Stig recorded a Top Gear Power Lap Times of 1 minute and 24.8 seconds (damp track), 1.1 seconds slower than the Murciélago's time of 1 minute 23.7 seconds.[10] (dry track) In a similar test conducted by Evo magazine, the Evolution was able to lap the Bedford Autodrome faster than an Audi RS4 and a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S."

WHAT THEN IS YOUR POINT AGAIN?

2 Likes

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by peterjero(m): 12:11am On Apr 07, 2015
lomomike:

It's so painful NL (cartalk) has made German car seem indestructible whereas they all use Japanese cars. Toyota supra will outlive any European super car. Even Mr Siena has said so in time past.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by peterjero(m): 12:30am On Apr 07, 2015
Whether European cars have good technology, their Japanese counterparts will outlive them pronto. I own a 1999 benz c 200 and I speak with experience. My 1989 Toyota Camry will grow old with me.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 12:43am On Apr 07, 2015
oseo1:
In reality the performance difference between the v8 and v12 in most cars is marginal and it's not comparable with the difference in price. Let's use the G63 and G65 as an example, the G65 costs over $100k more than the G63, but gives you about 70hp more. It's 0-60mph time is only improved by 0.1seconds from 5.4 - 5.3.

Even the biggest fans of mercedes will tell you the price difference isn't worth the improvements over the v8 models (please note I'm only referring to the v8 amg models)

The difference between the two cars is not just 70hp, no one will pay $100k (I doubt that figure) more for 70hp.

There's a reason manufacturers offer the V12 option.

I know on the 740iL and 750iL the differences are a laundry list.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 12:47am On Apr 07, 2015
peterjero:
Whether European cars have good technology, their Japanese counterparts will outlive them pronto. I own a 1999 benz c 200 and I speak with experience. My 1989 Toyota Camry will grow old with me.

I disagree with you.

There are many old European cars over here. It depends on your motivation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 2010 Vs Honda Accord 2010-why Is Toyota More Marketable? / Black Smoke N Heavy Fuel Consumption, Help Needed Urgently / 2003 Toyota Corolla S Vs 2003 Honda Accord

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.