Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,459 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:45 PM

Opinion: Why The Alaga Iduro/ijoko Should Be Scrapped In Modern Yoruba Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Opinion: Why The Alaga Iduro/ijoko Should Be Scrapped In Modern Yoruba Culture (2748 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Why The Alaga Iduro/ijoko Should Be Scrapped In Modern Yoruba Culture by Sanchez01: 9:44pm On Mar 15, 2015
Please note that this is only an opinion and I wouldn't want anyone to take it the wrong way.

Yoruba engagements are largely fun and a sight to behold, with the array of dynamism on display by two distinct female native comperes/MCs. They have a way of making boring events take a turn-around for good and could cause you to look forward to another engagement party. Unfortunately, as dynamic and funny as they are, their importance in a typical engagement setting in this modern day and time is irrelevant and uncalled for.

In 2005, a stupid cousin of mine got married to his Jacob-like Polytechnic heartthrob. He was the first to create the inter-tribal record within the family at large. My uncles had long frowned at the idea of getting married to a lady/guy that is non-Urhobo but the 'kids' wanted to break that barrier as we saw everyone as one and the same. Fast forward...

Michael was stupid because he had barely graduated from the Polytechnic and wanted to get married, with no resources. Eventually, a date was set for the engagement, the wedding, etc...

I marveled at the creativity and the ways by which the Alaga Iduro/Ijoko (the standing/sitting chairman) exploited my family. It was fun though because we dropped almost all denominations at every word of the MCs, and being my first time of experiencing such, I so much loved it but the same could not be said for Michael whose initial smiles disappeared in the middle of the arrayed event.

To cut the long story short, it was a fund-raising event and it seemed at some point that the engagement was abandoned as stainless bowls were emptied into another. Finally, the event ended and everyone went each way.

Immediately after Michael created the record, others followed suit, breaking records and setting new ones. It was the same with other Yoruba engagements as monies were demanded at almost every interval. Please, don't get me wrong, there were worst scenarios concerning those who picked from the Eastern Part and even the Deltas. Imagine listing a 'motorcycle' as one of the things to be bought for the 'mother-in-law' to be (it was something worth laughing at when another of my cousin picked from the Eastern part kiss). Anyways, they are happily married now with kids and are doing well.

My experience again yesterday (Saturday, 14-03-15) added to my initial experiences of these MCs. The reality of fund-raising was made known as the event metamorphosed into something else.

Orientation-wise, I'm Yoruba and I love every bit of their life save for this part which I consider insensitive and unfair. Weddings should not be about extorting and exploiting the other family just because two fellows intend coming together under the canopy of marriage. Perhaps, most parents hardly consider how the newly weds would face life head on after a day's rice-eating fanfare.

True, tradition defines us and all but this does not call for overdoing things. The two 'Alagas' overflogged the monetary aspect so hard that the pockets of the groom's family turned red. Even the Bible calls for moderation and orderliness in all things. The world, as it is, is way too exposed for things as this. 'Taxing' people in this regard should be scrapped as it will only cause one of the families to be seen as selfish, greedy and insensitive. Afterall, pockets and budgets vary.

In this dispensation, fund-raising in traditional marriages should be done without. Unfortunately, the actions and excessive love of the 'Alagas' are indications that people are more concerned with weddings than marriages which ought not be so.
Re: Opinion: Why The Alaga Iduro/ijoko Should Be Scrapped In Modern Yoruba Culture by ChristyG(f): 10:02pm On Mar 15, 2015
Sanchez01:
Please note that this is only an opinion and I wouldn't want anyone to take it the wrong way.

Yoruba engagements are largely fun and a sight to behold, with the array of dynamism displayed by two distinct female native comperes/MCs. They have a way of making boring events take a turn-around for good and could cause you to look forward to another engagement party. Unfortunately, as dynamic and funny as they are, their importance in a typical engagement setting in this modern day and time is irrelevant and uncalled for.

In 2005, a stupid cousin of mine got married to his Jacob-like Polytechnic heartthrob. He was the first to create the inter-tribal record within the family at large. My uncles had long frowned at the idea of getting married to a lady/guy that is non-Urhobo but the 'kids' wanted to break that barrier as we saw everyone as one and the same. Fast forward...

Michael was stupid because he had barely graduated from the Polytechnic and wanted to get married, with no resources. Eventually, a date was set for the engagement, the wedding, etc...

I marveled at the creativity and the ways by which the Alaga Iduro/Ijoko (the standing/sitting chairman) exploited my family. It was fun though because we dropped almost all denominations at every word of the MCs, and being my first time of experiencing such, I so much loved it but the same could not be said for Michael whose initial smiles disappeared in the middle of the arrayed event.

To cut the long story short, it was a fund-raising event and it seemed at some point that the engagement was abandoned as stainless bowls were emptied into another. Finally, the event ended and everyone went each way.

Immediately after Michael created the record, others followed suit, breaking records and setting new ones. It was the same with other Yoruba engagements as monies were demanded at almost every interval. Please, don't get me wrong, there were worst scenarios concerning those who picked from the Eastern Part and even the Deltas. Imagine listing a 'motorcycle' as one of the things to be bought for the 'mother-in-law' to be (it was something worth laughing at when another of my cousin picked from the Eastern part kiss). Anyways, they are happily married now with kids and are doing well.

My experience again yesterday (Saturday, 14-03-15) added to my initial experiences of this MCs. The reality of fund-raising was made known as the event metamorphosed into something else.

Orientation-wise, I'm Yoruba and I love every bit of their life save for this part which I consider insensitive and unfair. Weddings should not be about extorting and exploiting the other family just because two fellows intend coming together under the canopy of marriage. Perhaps, most parents hardly consider how the newly weds would face life head on after a day's rice-eating fanfare.

True, tradition defines us and all but this does not call for overdoing things. The two 'Alagas' overflogged the monetary aspect so hard that the pockets of the groom's family turned red. Even the Bible calls for moderation and orderliness in all things. The world, as it is, is way too exposed for things as this. 'Taxing' people in this regard should be scrapped as it will only cause one of the families to be seen as selfish, greedy and insensitive. Afterall, pockets and budgets vary.

In this dispensation, fund-raising in traditional marriages should be done without. Unfortunately, the actions and excessive love of the 'Alagas' are indications that people are more concerned with weddings than marriages which ought not be so.
ur cousin is silly for marrying a yoruba girl??sorry but your cousin has hungry inlaws,but some of those alagas go over the top tho with some of their questions but no way are they getting scrapped..go and mind ur urhobo business abeg,it is not by force to like or go to yoruba weddings
Re: Opinion: Why The Alaga Iduro/ijoko Should Be Scrapped In Modern Yoruba Culture by Sanchez01: 10:07pm On Mar 15, 2015
ChristyG:
ur cousin is silly for marrying a yoruba girl??sorry but your cousin has hungry inlaws,but some of those alagas go over the top tho with some of their questions but no way are they getting scrapped..go and mind ur urhobo business abeg,it is not by force to like or go to yoruba weddings
Before you go tribal, it would be better you re-read my post again. I stated that:
Michael was silly because he had barely graduated from the Polytechnic and wanted to get married, with no resources.
Honestly, you should have read this thing through before you posted you trash. It's really insultive smiley
Re: Opinion: Why The Alaga Iduro/ijoko Should Be Scrapped In Modern Yoruba Culture by Sanchez01: 10:12pm On Mar 15, 2015
ChristyG:
And I also assumed you missed this part?
The problem is not about going or not going to Yoruba engagement weddings. I'm not tribal because I see those who are as being short-sighted, blind and selfish. The bottom line of my post is:
Re: Opinion: Why The Alaga Iduro/ijoko Should Be Scrapped In Modern Yoruba Culture by ChristyG(f): 10:14pm On Mar 15, 2015
Sanchez01:

Before you go tribal, it would be better you re-read my post again. I stated that:
Honestly, you should have read this thing through before you posted you trash. It's really insultive smiley
go and fix all the imperfections in ur urhobo tribe before telling others to do theirs,u started the tribal thread,so u cant tell me not to go tribal.charity begins at home
Re: Opinion: Why The Alaga Iduro/ijoko Should Be Scrapped In Modern Yoruba Culture by ChristyG(f): 10:16pm On Mar 15, 2015
Sanchez01:

And I also assumed you missed this part?

The problem is not about going or not going to Yoruba engagement weddings. I'm not tribal because I see those who are as being short-sighted, blind and selfish. The bottom line of my post is:
because u live in yorubaland does NOT make u one,orientation wise my @.ss

(1) (Reply)

Gaani Festival Okuta / List Of Kano Emirs And Years Of Rule From 999 AD / Confam P.h Pidgin/slangs Here !! Rep Ur Area In P.h!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.