Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue (1518 Views)

PHOTO: This Police Signboard Has Got People Talking / Customs Officers And Policemen Clash In Ikeja, Lagos (Photos) / Soldier And Policemen Fight In A Bank In Calabar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by maclatunji: 8:20am On Mar 16, 2015
Listening to Rhythm fm and yet again, someone has died from stab wounds after the doctors refused to treat her without police report.

I am throwing it out here, let both parties explain their position on this issue.

This is not a joking matter and please let us have responsible contributions.

Do we need police reports to treat bullet and stab wounds victims in our hospitals?
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by Firefire(m): 8:32am On Mar 16, 2015
It is high time Nigeria stopped the issue of this Police report before treating victims of any circumstances.

Unfortunately, many have died before they could secure any police report. angry

In a sane atmosphere, you treat and invite the police during the treatment incase the hospital has any doubt whatsoever or it should be made a matter of policy.
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by kay1one2(m): 8:36am On Mar 16, 2015
I've treated stab wounds on multiple occasions without a police report. The issue becomes dicey with gunshot wounds. That will need a police report before management. I haven't had an issue like that. The closest is when the police bring armed robbery suspects they shot themselves to accident and emergency. Even then I haven't been in duty to get involved. Stab wounds though I believe can be treated without a report.
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by Acekidc4(m): 8:37am On Mar 16, 2015
That is Total Rubbish na!!!

Will be Right back Shortly!!!
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 16, 2015
The constitution of our country says so. When a patient comes to me in the hospital, his life is paramount, however I would want to know under which circumstance he got the stab or gunshot wounds. For all we care (knowing naija very well) , he could be a cultist, a robber, an assailant, or whatever. If you go ahead to treat a cultist without the required police permission (and protection) you may pay with your life when the other cult group gets wind of your Samaritan act.
Again I should stress that due to the system we run, it's unfortunate that we find ourselves where we are. I know of some colleges who have been assaulted, had their cars smashed, even had their hospitals burnt because they went on to treat traumatized patients without police protection. The aim of getting the report is to ascertain if the patient is a security risk to the society which would need police intervention in treatment.
This issue has been on for a while and would need a reformation of our security system and laws for us to get past it. For we the doctors, it's our work to treat, we don't have a problem with the personality of the patient. Human Life First
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by Firefire(m): 8:41am On Mar 16, 2015
I found this news, happy days ahead for victims of such circumstance.

We need to put this on a Fast-track lane!

Hospitals to treat gunshot victims without police report

Victims of gun shot are soon to receive medical attention without first obtaining police report as was the case in the past.

The new regime is about to come up following the adoption of the report on the Bill for an Act to Make Provisions for the Compulsory Treatment and Care for the Victims for Gunshot and Other Matters Connected Therewith.

The report of the Bill was adopted at the sitting of the House of Representatives last Thursday.

The report which was passed and adopted at the Committee of the Whole of the House of Representatives was sponsored by the Chairman, House Committee on Aviation, Nkiruka Onyejeocha.

Giving background information on the bill, Onyejeocha in her summary told lawmakers that: “the issue of conditional access to medication by victims of gunshot in Nigeria has generated thorny arguments among scholars, policy makers, medical practitioners and the general public”.

“The central thesis of the argument from all sides revolves around the issue of saving lives vis-a-vis the provision of the extant law”, she said.

Onyejeocha stressed that the misinterpretation of the provision of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provision) Act, Cap 398 of 1984 has been largely responsible for the refusal of medical practitioners to attend to gunshot victims which often time leads to loss of innocent lives.

She noted that the bill if passed into law will among other things guarantee unrestricted access to medical services by victims of gunshots; as well as further strengthen legal provisions and guarantee peoples’ fundamental rights to life and dignity of their persons.

“Despite the Act providing that, it shall be the duty of any person, hospital or clinic that admits, treats or administers drug to any person suspected of having bullet wounds to immediately report the matter to the police, medical institutions in Nigeria have severally refused to attend to victims of gunshot requesting such victims to produce police report”.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/03/hospitals-treat-gunshot-victims-without-police-report/
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by maclatunji: 8:47am On Mar 16, 2015
kay1one2:
I've treated stab wounds on multiple occasions without a police report. The issue becomes dicey with gunshot wounds. That will need a police report before management. I haven't had an issue like that. The closest is when the police bring armed robbery suspects they shot themselves to accident and emergency. Even then I haven't been in duty to get involved. Stab wounds though I believe can be treated without a report.

What law are you told prevents you from treating people with bullet wounds? I have heard the police say you can and report the case to them later.

Please read this https://www.nairaland.com/329737/police-ig-asks-doctors-treat
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by Nobody: 8:56am On Mar 16, 2015
I should add that sometimes I have had to treat stab wounds without police reports, the key is to be sensitive, note the kind of people /crowd that come with the patient and from that make my primary assessment if I'd need a police report or not.
However of recent I don't gamble with my safety and life as most stab wounds and trauma patients I see are from political fights. I don't need a prophet to tell me I have to be extra careful with them.

1 Like

Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by smakati(m): 8:56am On Mar 16, 2015
Its the 'akoba adaba olorun ma je a ri' mentality of nigerians
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by Nobody: 8:57am On Mar 16, 2015
maclatunji:

What law are you told prevents you from treating people with bullet wounds? I have heard the police say you can and report the case to them later

you have heard the police also say they are your friends. Are they really your friends in reality? This is naija

2 Likes

Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by kay1one2(m): 8:59am On Mar 16, 2015
maclatunji:

What law are you told prevents you from treating people with bullet wounds? I have heard the police say you can and report the case to them later.

Well when the police comes in it gets rowdy real fast. I've experiences like that so most of us avoid situations like that. Besides I think even in countries like the u.s police reports are needed because most gunshot victims especially the illegal type try to avoid hospitals!
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by Henrypraise: 9:05am On Mar 16, 2015
kay1one2:

Well when the police comes in it gets rowdy real fast. I've experiences like that so most of us avoid situations like that. Besides I think even in countries like the u.s police reports are needed because most gunshot victims especially the illegal type try to avoid hospitals!

Nigerians ar always lookin for excuse, besides logic is suppose to tell any sane society that once u start rejecting stab/ bullet wounds individuals, quack n native doctors start springin up every were
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by freeDR(m): 9:10am On Mar 16, 2015
There shouldn't be any reason whatsoever to leave a gunshot victim unattended. Commence treatment and send for police report, while keeping the patient alive. Whatever reasons some doctors give are too flimsy to watch a man die when he could be saved.
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by Nobody: 9:23am On Mar 16, 2015
This would be my position if our opinion counts:

Take the victim in.
Call the police immediately (describe it as an emergency)
Commence the treatment.

Police arrives, secures the patient.

Investigation starts immediately.
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by Nobody: 9:24am On Mar 16, 2015
freeDR:
There shouldn't be any reason whatsoever to leave a gunshot victim unattended. Commence treatment and send for police report, while keeping the patient alive. Whatever reasons some doctors give are too flimsy to watch a man die when he could be saved.
the taste of the puddy, is in the eating

1 Like

Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by kay1one2(m): 9:33am On Mar 16, 2015
Henrypraise:

Nigerians ar always lookin for excuse, besides logic is suppose to tell any sane society that once u start rejecting stab/ bullet wounds individuals, quack n native doctors start springin up every were

I have hear. You can come and assist with one when it springs up.
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by freeDR(m): 9:57am On Mar 16, 2015
olrotimi:

the taste of the puddy, is in the eating
I belong to the medical profession. I wrote as an involved party, not as an observer.
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by maclatunji: 10:08am On Mar 16, 2015
kay1one2:

Please we are beginning to muddle-up issues here, we are not saying you should not report the incidence to the police. What we are asking is why doctors refuse to treat people before obtaining a police report.

Why not request that the relevant parties obtain a police report whilst you commence treatment?

In many other countries, doctors attend to emergencies first before any law enforcement issues are handled administratively.
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by maclatunji: 10:10am On Mar 16, 2015
olrotimi:

you have heard the police also say they are your friends. Are they really your friends in reality? This is naija

What steps have you taken to address this issue in "Naija" or do you think it can never apply to you?
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by kay1one2(m): 10:22am On Mar 16, 2015
maclatunji:

Please we are beginning to muddle-up issues here, we are not saying you should not report the incidence to the police. What we are asking is why doctors refuse to treat people before obtaining a police report.

Why not request that the relevant parties obtain a police report whilst you commence treatment?

In many other countries, doctors attend to emergencies first before any law enforcement issues are handled administratively.

The rule in medical practice is that a doctor is not obligated to treat any patient but once he begins he can be held liable for an unprofessional job.
No one obligated to treat anyone he /she knows he can't handle. Its a matter of choice to a huge extent!
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by maclatunji: 12:17pm On Mar 16, 2015
kay1one2:

The rule in medical practice is that a doctor is not obligated to treat any patient but once he begins he can be held liable for an unprofessional job.
No one obligated to treat anyone he /she knows he can't handle. Its a matter of choice to a huge extent!

I see but a lot of people believe you have sworn to save lives and really should not pick patients. What you're saying now is different from that.
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by kay1one2(m): 12:33pm On Mar 16, 2015
maclatunji:

I see but a lot of people believe you have sworn to save lives and really should not pick patients. What you're saying now is different from that.

"Can't handle" is the key word. That is then left to the doctor's discretion. Although the council expects certain things from certain doctors at various levels. I haven't come across a litigation for bullet wound cases so can't say more.
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by maclatunji: 12:22pm On Mar 17, 2015
The lady whose death was being discussed that led to me creating this thread https://www.nairaland.com/2200417/pregant-silverbird-staff-murdered-stabbed
Re: Doctors And Policemen Should Explain This Police Report Issue by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 20, 2015
kay1one2:
please enlighten us more on this issue,is dere any policy that states that patients like that should not be treated immediately

(1) (Reply)

Photos: 17-year Old Hayley Okines Trapped In 104-year-old Body Dies! / Tinubu Vs Obj --- What Makes These Men Thick? / Chief Of Army Staff In Monumental Fraud Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.