Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

Paolo Di Canio Blames Sunderland Owner For Sunderland's Poor Form - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Paolo Di Canio Blames Sunderland Owner For Sunderland's Poor Form (395 Views)

Chelsea Vs Sunderland (5 - 1) On 21st May 2017 / Sunderland Vs Chelsea (0 - 1) On 14th December 2016 / Chelsea Vs Sunderland (3 - 1) On 19th December 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Paolo Di Canio Blames Sunderland Owner For Sunderland's Poor Form by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:09pm On Mar 16, 2015
[b]Paolo Di Canio does not blame Gus Poyet, his successor for the poor form of Sunderland. Instead he puts the blame on Ellis Short who owns the Club.

Di Canio reacted to Sunderland's shocking 4-0 defeat to Aston Villa. Di Canio managed Sunderland for six months.

"I don't know what's happening now, but it looks like the team is drifting," Di Canio told Fox Sports.

"It's not Poyet's fault, because chairman Ellis Short is the real origin of all these troubles. I saved Sunderland when the club was sinking; along with my staff, I completed a true miracle, on and off the pitch.

"We tried to change the philosophy of the team: in the two previous years, no fines were given, despite of players getting drunk and partying until late, even a few days before a match.

"I was giving fines even for [players being] five minutes late. It's fundamental, to keep order in the dressing room. I took all the responsibilities, but my project was immediately cut off.

"It was a choice which came from above. 

"I don't want to blame Poyet, but if you're afraid to fine one of your players, then you have to expect some troubles."

I wonder why managements of clubs do not back their managers. It is a growing trend. This was something we saw at Chelsea with Abramovic being helpless to Villas-Boas battle against the big boys of Chelsea.

We saw the same thing go on between Mancini and the big boys of Manchester City including Tevez, Kompany, Joe Hart, Nasir.

We are seeing it with Pellegrini and the present Cityzen players.

What made a coach like Sir Alex Ferguson successful was he had the backing of the board in what ever decision he took. There was no player at Manchester United bigger than Sir Alex Ferguson.

These managers are not magicians. They can not wave a wand and get players to obey their instructions. The board members need to back them to enable them succeed. The players need to know who is boss.

Sunderland have parted way with Gus Poyet.

Sunderland's Chairman Ellis Short released a statement: "I would like to thank Gus for his endeavours during his time at the club, in particular last season's 'great escape' and cup final appearance, which will live long in the memory of every Sunderland fan.

"Sadly, we have not made the progress that any of us had hoped for this season and we find ourselves battling, once again, at the wrong end of the table. We have therefore made the difficult decision that a change is needed."

http://footymail..com/2015/03/paolo-di-canio-blames-sunderland-owner.html
[/b]
Re: Paolo Di Canio Blames Sunderland Owner For Sunderland's Poor Form by coded01: 3:15am On Mar 17, 2015
^^^ I totally agree... cool

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Another Universe - Galaxy Named CR7 / PSG VS Barcelona Today At 8:45pm / Community Shield Preview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.