Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 (2978 Views)

Must Know Toyota Rav4 / Rav4 2001 To 2005 Owners Club / Btw A Highlander And A Rav4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by dokyOloye: 11:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
Dear Naira landers, I have a 2005 RAV4 4 cyl that is giving me serious issues. It goes off if I accelerate suddenly (like while trying to overtake another vehicle), or it stops responding to acceleration completely after a few seconds it comes back on. It has nearly caused an accident twice and I had to leave the road Asides this, it drives smoothly and shifts gears normally on even acceleration. My mechanic suggests that I change the engine for 180k... please any other suggestions or opinions?
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by ijed7: 12:48am On Mar 17, 2015
It is not the engine problem,I bought the same car for my wife and develop the same problem,don't mind your mechanic,I have spent 50k doing wrong thing before it was finally done for 40k
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by lonelydora: 1:04am On Mar 17, 2015
ijed7:
It is not the engine problem,I bought the same car for my wife and develop the same problem,don't mind your mechanic,I have spent 50k doing wrong thing before it was finally done for 40k

And what was done for 40k?

1 Like

Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:49am On Mar 17, 2015
dokyOloye:
Dear Naira landers, I have a 2005 RAV4 4 cyl that is giving me serious issues. It goes off if I accelerate suddenly (like while trying to overtake another vehicle), or it stops responding to acceleration completely after a few seconds it comes back on. It has nearly caused an accident twice and I had to leave the road Asides this, it drives smoothly and shifts gears normally on even acceleration. My mechanic suggests that I change the engine for 180k... please any other suggestions or opinions?

Sudden Power loss.

Is the engine running when this happens?

If you are in lagos contact me via my signature.

Does not make sence to replace a fuctional engine cause it trips off.
ijed7:

So u spent 90k doing what?
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by ijed7: 7:38am On Mar 17, 2015
It was the car brain box problem,pls don't allow them to spoil that car for u,with that problem they are not going to replace the brain box also,the car have lost memory and they are going to use scanner to correct the problem
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by dokyOloye: 8:07am On Mar 17, 2015
@Gazzuz it happens in two modes. The engine could trip and go off completely, or it could still be running but won't respond to acceleration. Is the brain box same as ECU? Unfortunately I'm attending to an issue at Abuja at the moment but I live in Owerri. Thanks
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:54pm On Mar 17, 2015
dokyOloye:
@Gazzuz it happens in two modes. The engine could trip and go off completely, or it could still be running but won't respond to acceleration. Is the brain box same as ECU? Unfortunately I'm attending to an issue at Abuja at the moment but I live in Owerri. Thanks

bolded 1, engine might need tuning.

bolded 2 drain transmission oil, remove transmission pan, wash strainer(filter) or replace, refill with fresh oil (TIV or WS).
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by Nobody: 5:44pm On Mar 21, 2015
Engine steams steady at 900rpm. Gear changes smoothly until a sudden acceleration is attempted, gear oil is fresh.
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 21, 2015
call me for a scan. Am in Abuja. am sure your check engine light is on. 08034533668
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by earthrealm(m): 9:28pm On Mar 23, 2015
scan first, then post the codes.....the transmission speed sensor could be bad, tranny gooing bad etc.
scan first......we know ur check engine light is on
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 27, 2015
So, I got the vehicle scanned today, the codes P0016 (crankshaft /camshaft position sensor) and P0350(ignition coil C) were pulled up. Both sensors have been changed and problems continue. I have been advised to get a new Engine Control Unit (Brain Box). Will try that tomorrow. I already want to sell this vehicle.
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:48am On Apr 28, 2015
mykl01:
So, I got the vehicle scanned today, the codes P0016 (crankshaft /camshaft position sensor) and P0350(ignition coil C) were pulled up. Both sensors have been changed and problems continue. I have been advised to get a new Engine Control Unit (Brain Box). Will try that tomorrow. I already want to sell this vehicle.

Calm down, what's the repair history? Was the head gasket ever changed?

check the VVTI sensor and the timing marks.

1 Like

Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by Kashif(m): 7:32am On Apr 28, 2015
Nobody is suspecting fuel pump? Loss of power on demand.....

1 Like

Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:40am On Apr 28, 2015
Kashif:
Nobody is suspecting fuel pump? Loss of power on demand.....

Possible, but the codes posted are more inclined to the inability of the engine ecm to set advanced timing, there would be delayed acceleration or drag. The timing marks could be off completely.
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by Nobody: 4:24pm On Apr 29, 2015
A new fuel pump was installed prior to the replacement of the sensors. VVTI sensors and timing marks? All these symptoms are related to a replaced top gasket ; Yes!. Please where are timing marks located and where is the VVTI sensor located?
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:28pm On Apr 29, 2015
mykl01:
A new fuel pump was installed prior to the replacement of the sensors. VVTI sensors and timing marks? All these symptoms are related to a replaced top gasket ; Yes!. Please where are timing marks located and where is the VVTI sensor located?

Drop that engine and set the timing properly. If in lagos give me a call.

2 Likes

Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by Nobody: 10:37am On May 06, 2015
Boss,I am at Owerri not Lagos. The Timing has been reset, the car RPM has hit 6000 on revving compared to 3000 RPM max. Coupling the engine back today for a test drive, but I'm almost certain the issue has been fixed.
I'm grateful, but watch the space for my comment after the test drive. grin cool
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by Nobody: 12:46pm On May 06, 2015
YES cheesy grin cool , It's back and feels good to drive. Thanks to all who helped me fix this ride, and all who will learn from it. I changed so many things and still would have bought a new ECY if not for your help. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:00am On May 09, 2015
mykl01:
YES cheesy grin cool , It's back and feels good to drive. Thanks to all who helped me fix this ride, and all who will learn from it. I changed so many things and still would have bought a new ECY if not for your help. Thanks.

Thanks for taking the advice, and coming back to share, it really makes me happy.

2 Likes

Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by Nobody: 6:43am On May 09, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Thanks for taking the advice, and coming back to share, it really makes me happy.

You just spoke my mind bro. Anytime someone comes back to give feedback on advice or work done and says "thank you", I feel fulfilled. However, when such act of testimony and gratitude is absent, I feel frustrated and discouraged to go on. I've been on the brink of not giving solution or advice to any vehicular issue again in car talk for a while due to ingratitude of most folks but then I always recall "no matter what is the reaction we get, God has placed us here to be a blessing to others".

Once again thanks for yesterday smiley
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jul 30, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Calm down, what's the repair history? Was the head gasket ever changed?

check the VVTI sensor and the timing marks.

GAZZUZ, this your car don start again o!!!! The gear stops selection after the 3rd gear, and at 100km/hr. I have changed the oil, but no change. Any ideas?
Re: Crazy 2005 RAV4 4 by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:24am On Jul 31, 2015
mykl01:

GAZZUZ, this your car don start again o!!!! The gear stops selection after the 3rd gear, and at 100km/hr. I have changed the oil, but no change. Any ideas?

Scan vehicle.

Solenoid a stuck or knock sensor bank1.

(1) (Reply)

See How To Confirm The Genuineness Of Your Vehicle Plate Number. Be Wise. / Nissan Murano? / Can I Get A Foreign Used Car For 700k?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.