Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) (32059 Views)

Which Is The Best Option To Land A Good Wife? / One Of The Reasons Why Men Cheat On Their Wife By Going After Young Ladies / Money Given To A Wife By Her Husband Is Called What.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Nobody: 4:28pm On Mar 18, 2015
Yadoctora:
Trying not to generalise. But you'd agree with me that this seems like it in the typical/traditional Nigerian setting.

Anyone who has an issue discussing this picture is someone who came from that sort of family and a discussion of it perhaps is a reminder of the pains of their childhood with a lazy father.I wonder the reason why a bare naked truth would hurt anyone's feelings.
Efulefu drunkards that will beat up the women and collect the proceeds from her labour plenty for Awa kontri,no doubt abourrit.
That picture is a common one in Nigeria and here in America, no denying that it is not uncommon to see Nigerian households where the woman is the main breadwinner.Many Nigerian nurses in the USA earn more than their husbands and work harder too.There are many who have their regular jobs and run or work for agencies on the side,some run group homes and get their husbands to work for them..There are Nigerian women who are proprietors of day care centers and restaurants and are the major or sole breadwinners.
I have a friend that gave her husband an ultimatum to either get a job or ship out after he sent 5k of her hard labor to his family in Ijebuode for Christmas as per big boy.She couldn't support his lazy behind any longer and read him the riot act.The man eventually went to nursing school at her insistence and is now pulling his weight.
Many women take on roles they shouldn't out of "love" and become superwoman while she is working her fingers to the bone,he is watching TV and eating goat meat.
So nne that picture is on point.

11 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Nobody: 4:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
TooNoisy:

Another polimonikering whoore of babyosisi. Bloody imbeciles. I know who you really are and I will soon expose you. Bloody person. Why don't you reveal who you are are? Biatch!

Chei na babyosisi name dey send shivers down ya obante
Kai menene

2 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Ewuro4: 4:38pm On Mar 18, 2015
See Reverse psychology grin I have a problem discussing such so you're indirectly referring to me.

Its common in Nigeria yet your own poor family is left out. Before nko?
Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Nobody: 4:45pm On Mar 18, 2015
SirShymexx:

Well, keep ad hominems away from me next time
. Not cocky, but I lead my life as an original black man, and I don't pander to no one's ego, like the emasculated lot.
That is easy for me to do. Btw, u started it by referring to my family even when you know nothing about whom I am and where I am from.

Anyway, I explained that in my first post...and alluded to the fact that whatever image you have in ya head must be a depiction of ya background. Never in history have black men been an appendage to black women.

Now I see that the problem lies in your perception of the picture which is quite different from mine. I am a Yoruba girl. Traditionally, the man is seen as the head of the home. That he is the head makes every other person cater for him and do his bidding. Watch Nollywood traditional movies and see how a man is fed. He sits as the wife kneels to serve his food, gives him water to wash his hands, watches him eat while even keeping the children away. When satisfied, she cleans up. She takes care of the children as well and is expected to have a trade at least. That is how I see this picture. It depicts a big baby, who should be tenderly taken care of.

Also, Nigerian homes of modern times are the way they're due to the excessive westernisation/bastardisation of a lot of values - and that started during the colonial era. Ditto the innate barbaric violence and savagely behavioural patterns a lot of folks exhibit these days. Yes, there were a few primitive tribes in Africa who probably existed the way ya picture is. However, traditional African (Nigerian) families were never like that. At least I can speak for my own ethnic group and how women have always been put on a pedestal, adored, celebrated, catered to, provided for, and protected.

But are these women expected to cook, wash and clean after their husbands? If husband's mother comes visiting and finds her son cooking, what would her reaction be in a traditional setting?

Perhaps, when folks start taking time out to read/learn their own history/values - and how they should lead their lives to represent who they're - things might get better. Till then, leave the black man alone. The black man has more than enough to deal with already.
I know many black men. I spent most of my time in Africa. Our men are awesome but many need to change their attitude towards gender roles.

8 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Nobody: 5:16pm On Mar 18, 2015
babyosisi:

Anyone who has an issue discussing this picture is someone who came from that sort of family and a discussion of it perhaps is a reminder of the pains of their childhood with a lazy father.I wonder the reason why a bare naked truth would hurt anyone's feelings.
Efulefu drunkards that will beat up the women and collect the proceeds from her labour plenty for Awa kontri,no doubt abourrit.
That picture is a common one in Nigeria and here in America, no denying that it is not uncommon to see Nigerian households where the woman is the main breadwinner.Many Nigerian nurses in the USA earn more than their husbands and work harder too.There are many who have their regular jobs and run or work for agencies on the side,some run group homes and get their husbands to work for them..There are Nigerian women who are proprietors of day care centers and restaurants and are the major or sole breadwinners.
I have a friend that gave her husband an ultimatum to either get a job or ship out after he sent 5k of her hard labor to his family in Ijebuode for Christmas as per big boy.She couldn't support his lazy behind any longer and read him the riot act.The man eventually went to nursing school at her insistence and is now pulling his weight.
Many women take on roles they shouldn't out of "love" and become superwoman while she is working her fingers to the bone,he is watching TV and eating goat meat.
So nne that picture is on point.
Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by aderonila18: 5:21pm On Mar 18, 2015
By Nigerian standards Good wife = Sufferhead/ Mumu

Don't forget to add to your list that she's expected to pack condoms in his suitcase when he is traveling and then do fasting and prayer against those jezebels tempting her first child since the Nigerian man is never to be held accountable for his actions When she catches him cheating she must give him more sex, cook his favorite meals, make herself look pretty and never dare to nag him grin

She should submit her salary to him and even if she earns more and contributes largely financially she's never to ask questions about how and what he intends to spend the household money on otherwise she will be labelled an evil woman who arrogant because she has money undecided

Everyone loves a Mugu, who wouldn't like a "good Nigerian wife" grin

13 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 18, 2015
aderonila18:
By Nigerian standards Good wife = Sufferhead/ Mumu

Don't forget to add to your list that she's expected to pack condoms in his suitcase when he is traveling and then do fasting and prayer against those jezebels tempting her first child since the Nigerian man is never to be held accountable for his actions When she catches him cheating she must give him more sex, cook his favorite meals, make herself look pretty and never dare to nag him grin

She should submit her salary to him and even if she earns more and contributes largely financially she's never to ask questions about how and what he intends to spend the household money on otherwise she will be labelled an evil woman who arrogant because she has money undecided

Everyone loves a Mugu, who wouldn't like a "good Nigerian wife" grin
spot on!!

10 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Idowuogbo(f): 7:12pm On Mar 18, 2015
Yadoctora:

Are women not expected to pamper their husbands?
cook his food, wash his clothes, clean after him.

In fact, some people call their husbands 'big babies'
He is their first child.
Yes my oga is my big baby and my first child. you have a problem with that? undecided See me see something ke....Oshisko of the highest order.

2 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Idowuogbo(f): 7:19pm On Mar 18, 2015
SirShymexx:
Lol.

That looks like ya family portrait, and an isolated case, only peculiar to ya family. Not shocking to know that also influenced ya thought process. However, I've got news for you: everyone else was raised differently.
tongue

Real images of the traditional African family and good wives right here;

lmaooo! Damn! Nice pic shy shy cheesy
Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Nobody: 7:20pm On Mar 18, 2015
Idowuogbo:

Yes my oga is my big baby and my first child. you have a problem with that? undecided See me see something ke....Oshisko of the highest order.

The op depicts your life. Why would that be a problem? You just added credence to the whole story. wink

12 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Idowuogbo(f): 7:26pm On Mar 18, 2015
Yadoctora:

The op depicts your life. Why would that be a problem? You just added credence to the whole story. wink
Oh plueasee! That's you up there,mate. Internet warriors like yourself only speak up online and act like y'all run shyte in your households but we all know y'all are single mothers producing men haters.

6 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Idowuogbo(f): 7:34pm On Mar 18, 2015
catering to my man automatically means I do it all and he does nada? I can see you have defo chosen stupidity as your talent.

4 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by slimyem: 7:40pm On Mar 18, 2015
Why does anyone have a problem with the original picture.It's not like it is too far from the truth. That's what our men of today expect a wife should be. A do-it-all woman.Gender equality proponents have also not made the struggle any better IMO.
It is left for every woman to know her limits and know when to say it's just enough.

12 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Nobody: 7:40pm On Mar 18, 2015
Idowuogbo:

Oh plueasee! That's you up there,mate. Internet warriors like yourself only speak up online and act like y'all run shyte in your households but we all know y'all are single mothers producing men haters.

Ojo lo ko eyele po mo adiye. Internet troll lasan lasan.

Why should I care about your depiction of whom I am? O mo eni to n ba soro.

You've been better dignified than your mates.
Now sun segbe ki awon eyan to gidi raye comment. kiss

*ignored henceforth*

12 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Nobody: 7:43pm On Mar 18, 2015
slimyem:
Why does anyone have a problem with the original picture.It's not like it is too far from the truth. That's what our men of today expect a wife should be. A do-it-all woman.Gender equality proponents have also not made the struggle any better IMO.
It is left for every woman to know her limits and know when to say it's just enough.

Even some of the comments on the first page attest to that.

8 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Idowuogbo(f): 7:46pm On Mar 18, 2015
Yadoctora:

Ojo lo ko eyele po mo adiye. Internet troll lasan lasan.

Why should I care about your depiction of whom I am? O mo eni to n ba soro.

You've been better dignified than your mates.
Now sun segbe ki awon eyan to gidi raye comment. kiss

*ignored henceforth*

See am! So you can't take what you dish ba? shiOr! Igbayi laro e ti arugbo e sukun coste. E dey for your body and it dey follow you waka.Eeeeeeeish!

5 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Nobody: 7:52pm On Mar 18, 2015
Hahahahahahahahaha, that pics got me lmao! grin grin grin grin grin

but its true.

6 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by freecocoa(f): 7:54pm On Mar 18, 2015
Just wow! Very soon no thread will be left in the family section as you people will succeed in getting them all locked.

Unu Weldone.
Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Ewuro4: 8:07pm On Mar 18, 2015
Idowuogbo:
catering to my man automatically means I do it all and he does nada? I can see you have defo chosen stupidity as your talent.

Nigba ti olori nyan kadara.... Ohun shoshi kiri bi eran ishewo... I wonder why she's seeking online validation for the picture?

Oh well, misery loves company I guess.

2 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Ewuro4: 8:10pm On Mar 18, 2015
Idowuogbo:

Oh plueasee! That's you up there,mate. Internet warriors like yourself only speak up online and act like y'all run shyte in your households but we all know y'all are single mothers producing men haters

cheesy cheesy Badoo joo majen choke

2 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by DollyParton1(f): 8:13pm On Mar 18, 2015
SirShymexx:

At least I can speak for my own ethnic group and how women have always been put on a pedestal, adored, celebrated, catered to, provided for, and protected.
never knew a day like this would come......
undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Ewuro4: 8:13pm On Mar 18, 2015
freecocoa:
Just wow! Very soon no thread will be left in the family section as you people will succeed in getting them all locked.

Unu Weldone.

Ndoo cocoa.. Some thread shouldn't be left alone to thrive on this section.

So so so sorry. grin
Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by freecocoa(f): 8:17pm On Mar 18, 2015
Ewuro4:

Ndoo cocoa.. Some thread shouldn't be left alone to thrive on this section.

So so so sorry. grin
See you are laughing, you are not really sorry. grin

Seriously though, you both should bury the hatchet, I don't seem to understand what must have happened online that's so serious.
Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Idowuogbo(f): 8:19pm On Mar 18, 2015
Ewuro4:

Nigba ti olori nyan kadara.... Ohun shoshi kiri bi eran ishewo... I wonder why she's seeking online validation for the picture?

Oh well, misery loves company I guess.
This yoruba strong oo...can you please help me translate? embarassed As for that thing, 'IT' feels it can throw subliminal shots here and there but when you now serve the thing back with its own vomit, the thing starts behaving like a polarized witch.
Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Idowuogbo(f): 8:21pm On Mar 18, 2015
DollyParton1:

never knew a day like this would come......
undecided undecided undecided
Lmao!
Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by lolababe331e: 8:30pm On Mar 18, 2015
They love suffering and smiling jare, anything to be called a good woman. At the end of the day that is why most of the them end up looking old and haggard lipsrsealed a lot of Nigerian women look like their husbands mother shocked after they have suffered themselves finished and they look like fossils the men will start chasing young girls and justify it that she has let herself go grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Lipzlikeshugar(f): 8:31pm On Mar 18, 2015
Chillis:
Wow. Perfect description !

Suffer heads.

See the ogogoro man face sef.
. ogogoro man Lol oooooooooo
Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by Nobody: 8:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
lolababe331e:
They love suffering and smiling jare, anything to be called a good woman. At the end of the day that is why most of the hem end up looking old and haggard lipsrsealed a lot of Nigerian women look like their husbands mother shocked after they have suffered themselves finished and they look like fossils the men will start chasing young girls and justify it that she has let herself go grin

and then You wish our generation could be helped. But some women are satisfied being door mats.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by bamidele029: 8:42pm On Mar 18, 2015
Unfortunately the picture is very reflective of our society undecided

I think some people have gotten the OP wrong or maybe they just want to pick a fight Clearly there is nothing wrong with a woman pampering her husband and vice versa but what is in that picture is slavery angry in a good marriage the man will be walking beside his wife helping her carrying the load or maybe one of the kids instead of adding to her burden by being a child she has to also cater to.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by DollyParton1(f): 8:59pm On Mar 18, 2015
Why is everyone finding the picture offensive. It illustrates how things are in the society.
The society has defined being head of the family wrongly.

12 Likes

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by DollyParton1(f): 9:13pm On Mar 18, 2015
bamidele029:
Unfortunately the picture is very reflective of our society undecided

I think some people have gotten the OP wrong or maybe they just want to pick a fight Clearly there is nothing wrong with a woman pampering her husband and vice versa but what is in that picture is slavery angry in a good marriage the man will be walking beside his wife helping her carrying the load or maybe one of the kids instead of adding to her burden by being a child she has to also cater to.
you mean like carrying our shopping bag of chanel and christian loubutin. grin grin grin
while we walk beside them, carrying the baby.

1 Like

Re: The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) by SirShymexx: 9:57pm On Mar 18, 2015
Yadoctora:

That is easy for me to do. Btw, u started it by referring to my family even when you know nothing about whom I am and where I am from.

Now I see that the problem lies in your perception of the picture which is quite different from mine. I am a Yoruba girl. Traditionally, the man is seen as the head of the home. That he is the head makes every other person cater for him and do his bidding. Watch Nollywood traditional movies and see how a man is fed. He sits as the wife kneels to serve his food, gives him water to wash his hands, watches him eat while even keeping the children away. When satisfied, she cleans up. She takes care of the children as well and is expected to have a trade at least. That is how I see this picture. It depicts a big baby, who should be tenderly taken care of.

But are these women expected to cook, wash and clean after their husbands? If husband's mother comes visiting and finds her son cooking, what would her reaction be in a traditional setting?

I know many black men. I spent most of my time in Africa. Our men are awesome but many need to change their attitude towards gender roles.

1) Honestly, I don't need to who you're or where you're from, to have a feeling that the illustrative caption you added to picture was induced by ya background. The keyword there is: traditional. Had it been that caption was illustrated with just Nigeria (which is a modern creation, with no tradition) - I probably would've ignored the thread cos Nigeria raised a lot of beasts I'm not acquainted with, and an experience that's foreign to me. I'm sorry, I can't relate to that. However, calling it "traditional" is utterly disrespectful. And that wasn't an insult.

2) Nah, I saw an emasculated mangina, who can't stand on both feet - and whose existence is dependent on his woman. That's not right, and incase you don't know, images are very powerful. And what you just did can be termed as bigotry. Also, the explanation you gave has little or no correlation with the image you posted.

Well, I'm sorry I don't watch Nollywood or whatever the primitive movie industry that can't write a decent script is called. But good to know you're Yoruba - I'm also Yoruba. However, basically cos an utter amateurish movie industry created a story that most times will never be a true depiction of reality - you had to base your definition of "tradition(al)" on that, no? I'm sure your parents are older than Nigeria (the country should be 55 in October), and they at least represent what a traditional Yoruba family should be. So, are those movies a depiction of how ya parents live? -please I want honest answers.

Regardless, that doesn't even portray a "big baby" - it just shows a respectful and adoring wife catering to her man, after a long day out, trying to eke out something for his wife and children. A form of appreciation for hardwork, and fending for the family and its survival.

3). I'll never understand all the noise you lot make about cooking and doing chores on this forum. Talk about making a mountain out of molehill. Let's say you live by yourself - won't you cook, wash, and clean? So, what's bad in cooking extra portion as part of your meal, for the breadwinner of the family and partner?

4). Then start celebrating the awesome and hardworking/upstanding black men you know (the majority) - and stop looking confused on the internet, trying to follow a trend by bitter and obese women (mostly single mums) who're desperating looking for someone to marry them.

Gender roles are what they're based on societal roles and how folks were raised. It has more to do with skill-set and what each individual brings to the table, than how you lot translate everything into anti-women innuendos. Women are naturally better cooks and home-keepers, and they're mostly raised that way from childhood. While men tend to do better in physical chores, and they're raised to do that from childhood. So, what's bad in maintaining that order? Don't rock the boat - trying to fix something that isn't broken is the reason why the black family is dying.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

OPEN MARKETPLACE... Get Good Products At Unbeatable Rates Here. / My Pregnant Ex Girlfriend Has Refused My Help / My Fiancée Is Acting Suspicious

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.