Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,670 members, 7,805,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

"I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB (16857 Views)

President Muhammadu Buhari: Converted Democrat Or Pretentious Dictator / Buhari Meets Journalist He Jailed As Military Ruler / Rahama Babangida, Ex-military Ruler's Daughter Stuns In New Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by MichaelSokoto(m): 6:25pm On Mar 17, 2015
Text of Address by His Excellency General Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR Presidential Candidate of All Progressive Congress, APC at an Interactive Session with the Nigerian Press Organisation, NPO in Abuja. Tuesday 17th March 2015

Thank you for honoring me with your presence here today. Thank you for heeding my invitation to this special meeting with key stakeholders in the Nigerian media. Our country is on the verge of something new. The tide has turned and the world can sense the wave of CHANGE that is about to flood this nation. In less than two weeks, the Nigerian electorate will head to the polls to make their voices heard.

Through the ballot, without a single shot fired, a CHANGE revolution will likely take place. There are two specific reasons why I have invited you here today. The first is to use the opportunity to say a special thank you to the Nigerian media for the role you have played in advancing our country’s democracy thus far, and especially for being a platform through which Nigerians’ cry for CHANGE was articulated all around the world.

On newspaper pages, TV screens and radio waves, the alarming depth of corruption and impunity in our country, the terrifying level of insecurity, and the grim state of our economy were kept constantly before the world’s eyes, making it impossible for the current government to doctor the truth, despite their meanest efforts.

I urge you to not relent in your role as watchdogs, to continue to be the voice of the people. The health of Nigeria’s democracy rests partly on you. Without a robust and thriving media, the masses would have no voice.

The electorate would also not have sufficient information to make sound decisions, such as deciding to vote out a clueless government and vote in CHANGE. Secondly, I want to give you my full assurances that in this democratic dispensation, I will ensure that the Nigerian constitution is upheld. This includes respect for the media, respect for the right to free expression and freedom of speech. Page 1 of 2 any of you are aware of Decree 4 of 1984, which was heavily criticised.

I have said elsewhere that I cannot change the past. But I can change the present and the future. Dictatorship goes with military rule as do edicts such as Decree 4. However, I am a former–former, note the emphasis on the word ‘former’–military ruler and now a converted democrat, who is ready to operate under democratic norms.

I am not only subjecting myself to the rigours of democratic elections for the fourth time, but even after being elected, I will continue to promote the consolidation of democracy in our great country, Nigeria, by guaranteeing that the media’s freedom is not compromised in any way.

I give you my full assurances that the Nigerian media will be free under our APC government. I also want to use this opportunity to appeal to you to use your media outlets in shaping positive public discourse and eschew hate speech mongering and slanderous political rhetorics which heat up the polity for the sake of peace and stability of our dear nation. Thank you, once again, for being here this afternoon.

I look forward to working with you in future, and to similar meetings which shall take place on a regular basis to keep the Nigerian people constantly informed about the activities of the government that they will have elected to serve them.

General Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR
APC Presidential Candidate

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/i-am-a-former-military-ruler-now-a-converted-democrat-says-buhari/

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:27pm On Mar 17, 2015
With military blood still running in his veins Bro, once a military man always a military man..

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by GboyegaD(m): 6:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
Yes, he isn't denying being a past military administrator however, he has come to us as a democrat now. Those who have issues with same can go to blazes after all, Obasanjo, David Mark, etc are all past military officers.

119 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
Change is inevitable
Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by Sweetguy25: 6:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
A leopard doesn't do what?

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by SeverusSnape(m): 6:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
Liar!... Buhari IS A DESPOTIC TYRANT. He was and still is.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by SeverusSnape(m): 6:30pm On Mar 17, 2015
Sweetguy25:
A leopard doesn't do what?
... Change its spots.

27 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by dein77(m): 6:31pm On Mar 17, 2015
SeverusSnape:
... Change its spots.

Never. Not all things change! Buyer beware!

19 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by geedeex2(m): 6:31pm On Mar 17, 2015
When it makes front page I will comments
Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by richol(m): 6:31pm On Mar 17, 2015
stupid old cargo...after using those blood laden hands to kill u want to rebuild naija...aint possible,ask king david.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by kestolove95(m): 6:33pm On Mar 17, 2015
Gbam!!! D incoming president has spoken

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by kestolove95(m): 6:34pm On Mar 17, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
With military blood still running in his veins Bro, once a military man always a military man..
see ma guy o...bross na buhari sure pass o

13 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by MichaelSokoto(m): 6:35pm On Mar 17, 2015
richol:
stupid old cargo...after using those blood laden hands to kill u want to rebuild naija...aint possible,ask king david.
God bless u 4 ur insult!

Seun, Lalasticlala cool

10 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:36pm On Mar 17, 2015
kestolove95:
see ma guy o...bross na buhari sure pass o
padi mi, buhari no sure pass oh..

13 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by kestolove95(m): 6:38pm On Mar 17, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
padi mi, buhari no sure pass oh..
so tel me y I go stand unda sun for 2hrs to. Vote gej as I did in 2011?

19 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by jjfuma: 6:41pm On Mar 17, 2015
Amanpour vs. Jonathan | Nigerians Expose Jonathan's Incompetence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48YWgVBXOo&list=LLH2AO7bGrLIBxau9NR-ZLrQ

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by LewisO: 6:44pm On Mar 17, 2015
[size=14pt] I just don't want to remain the same, i need "Change" in my life. [/size]

14 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by stevikenna: 6:44pm On Mar 17, 2015
WE WANT CHANGE!
CHANGE FROM INSECURITY AND CORRUPTION
BUHARI IS THE PRESIDENT WE WANT
#IHAVEDECIDED

38 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by gurusmac4: 6:44pm On Mar 17, 2015
Hit like For our man of integrity. #GMB carry goo

Making Money From by doing what you love to do – Meet Africa’s Top Young Entrepreneur that will motivates you here
(Www.bizworld forum.com)

Register with us to receive daily Tips

41 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by Koroaso: 6:45pm On Mar 17, 2015
*******GMB, YOU ARE ALSO A MAN NIGERIANS TRUST*******

******YOU SHALL BOW BEFORE NO MAN********

******YOUR LOYALTY WILL BE TO THE FEDERAL OF NIGERIA*******

******YOU SHALL FIX ALL THESE NONSENSE CREATED BY THESE POLITICIANS*******

*******YOU SHALL PROBE ALL THE THIEVES, THEY WILL RETURN OUR COMMONWEALTH*******

******YOU SHALL WORK WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALWAYS VALUED THEIR INTEGRITY*******

******WE WILL FIGHT THESE JONATHAN OUT WHATEVER IT TAKES, WE WILL USE OUR PVC, NO VIOLENCE******

********MINORITIES, CHRISTAINS, MUSLIMS, PAGANS,*******

*******WILL BE TREATED EQUALLY*******

******CORRUPT PEOPLE DEVOID OF AGE, RELIGION, ETHNICITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, POLITICAL PARTY MUST BE PUNISHED*******

*******YOU HAVE LIVED THIS LONG, TO KNOW THAT A GOOD NAME IS MORE THAN RICHES********

******GO FORTH AND SIN NO MORE********

*******ROME HAS SPOKEN**********

BUHARI/PYO

28 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by datguru: 6:45pm On Mar 17, 2015
Who ask am ?

7 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by ozoigbondu: 6:45pm On Mar 17, 2015
dein77:

Never. Not all things change! Buyer beware!

Caveat Emptor grin

5 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by suwailad(f): 6:45pm On Mar 17, 2015
Carry Go Buhari!

Na You we want. No more to mediocrity and corruption, no more to insurgency.

You crushed Maitatsaine, You will destroy Boko Haram

22 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by blessedvisky(m): 6:45pm On Mar 17, 2015
IS THAT SO.?

ABEG CLICK LIKE IF YOU ALSO BELIEVE THIS IS A LIE. undecided

24 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by siraj1402(m): 6:45pm On Mar 17, 2015
Yes ooo.Tell the nonentity, let them know.
Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by holatin(m): 6:45pm On Mar 17, 2015
Through the ballot, without a single shot fired, a
CHANGE revolution will likely take place.

God bless you sir, no matter mbu gun, massob gun, opc gun, soldier gun

we good people of Nigeria will vote for you on march 28

we want you to cage corruption that has been affecting Nigeria health, education, security, judiciary system
we need you sir

sai baba
sai buhari
buhari4change

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by Pebcak: 6:45pm On Mar 17, 2015
WOOOOOOW Sh1t just got real
Meanwhile somewhere in Aso rock garden

Everybody shouting CHANGE!!!CHANGE!!!CHANGE!!!
Even PDP top shot Marching for change
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Okupe,JEG, Abati,Fayose, FFK (clapping behind the tree)(From L-R)

SAI BUHARI!!!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by dotcomnamename: 6:46pm On Mar 17, 2015
[size=15pt]Ride on my President..

#SaiBaba[/size]
kiss

18 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by ozoigbondu: 6:46pm On Mar 17, 2015
Wash a pig cloth a pig dress a pig make up a pig it does not remove its pigness.A pig is still a pig a dictactor is still a dictactor ask a dictator turned politican obj how he bastardizied the constuition flouting court rulings anyhow and masscred the people of odi and zakam

4 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by adorablepepple(f): 6:46pm On Mar 17, 2015
Hnmmmmm good to know sir

sai Buhari

8 Likes

Re: "I Am A Former Military Ruler, Now A Converted Democrat" - GMB by ruudnisterooy1(m): 6:46pm On Mar 17, 2015
But you're still Buhari!

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Picture Of The Northern Cities and street / Dapo Ojora's Family Announces Funeral Arrangements / Rilwan Akiolu, Praises Army For Interventing During EndSARS Riots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.