Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,780 members, 7,806,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? (1897 Views)

Man High On 'Ace Of Spades' Bashes His Car While Returning From A Club. Photo / Students Returning From School Involved In Accident In Enugu,Many Injured(Pics) / Female Unilag Student & 3 Others Die In Car Crash While Returning From Nightclub (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by Originalsly: 4:04am On Mar 18, 2015
Just curious!.... I'm talking about those who lived abroad for at least a year! After a while we can't expect those who travelled to return without some kind of change. This is about th changes you admire and those that hmmmm....piss you off! For me, I admire people who were more like "high class" when they left and return pretty humble ....treating everyone with respect and for some reason seem to now take notice of the very poor and handicapped. The ones I really hate are those that return and act like they own everybody. You?
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by Nobody: 4:44am On Mar 18, 2015
Dnt mind them, na only light and water dem enjoy wey mke dem big oooo....dem go cum land like say dem family house be kirikiri prison. d place dey were born and bread, treating pple dat occupy the first page of thre history book like dirt. Anyways mke God answer our prayers cum dis match, nigeria story will turn to glory by the time we av leader wey go fit use transparency and accountability to govern.
I hear say d new metro train in Ethiopia cost $475m where as jigi jigi from china cost $12m if we cont spending like dis nigeria as a country go later dey sell sachet water for niger......vote change mke una life start changing.
all youth for my area na betting tnx. instead of using d gud brain for sometin productive. habaaa d future leaders ar busy perming numbers!!!! ( baba ijebu) we surely need CHANGE!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by pansophist(m): 1:21pm On Mar 19, 2015
Originalsly:
For me, I admire people who were more like "high class" when they left and return pretty humble ....treating everyone with respect and for some reason seem to now take notice of the very poor and handicapped. The ones I really hate are those that return and act like they own everybody. You?

Its very prevalent among the ones who went abroad to hustle and given the social status of an average Nigerian, ''poverty mentality'' is prone to over ride common-sense. I personally know someone that went to Dubai and came back with a British Accent grin.

I do not have any experiences to share about returnees because I migrated when I was young, but what I realise is that my friends whom I left behind when I migrated tends to systematically avoid me. Like a defensive pre-empt if I act in a supercilious way but I usually call them and relate with them in a way oppisite to their preconceived idea.

2 Likes

Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by Nobody: 8:01am On Mar 30, 2015
@ OP, I think those that travels feeling 'high class' come back feeling humble.. just realized that
1. Everyone's life is difficult
2. Status and possessions are not linked to self-worth and satisfaction.
On the other hand those with the proud mentality are really the very miserable ones abroad....

For me I like the humbled ones that still complain about the mosquitoes grin

2 Likes

Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by Upgermany: 4:19am On Mar 31, 2015
I hate the ones that came back with nothing, it's most better for them to stay back
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by Nobody: 5:32am On Mar 31, 2015
Upgermany:
I hate the ones that came back with nothing, it's most better for them to stay back

Wetin you give them go?
Na people like you dey send them go do drugs and all manner of things..
Better they come back with nothing than in a box

2 Likes

Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by Godmother(f): 6:22am On Apr 01, 2015
pansophist:

Its very prevalent among the ones who went abroad to hustle and given the social status of an average Nigerian, ''poverty mentality'' is prone to over ride common-sense. I personally know someone that went to Dubai and came back with a British Accent . grin

I do not have any experiences to share about returnees because I migrated when I was young, but what I realise is that my friends whom I left behind when I migrated tends to systematically avoid me. Like a defensive pre-empt if I act in a supercilious way but I usually call them and relate with them in a way oppisite to their preconceived idea.

This got me ROFLMAO
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by Godmother(f): 6:23am On Apr 01, 2015
pansophist:

Its very prevalent among the ones who went abroad to hustle and given the social status of an average Nigerian, ''poverty mentality'' is prone to over ride common-sense. I personally know someone that went to Dubai and came back with a British Accent . grin

This got me ROFLMAO
Bet the guy wants everyone to know he has "janded"
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by pansophist(m): 3:34pm On Apr 01, 2015
Godmother:

This got me ROFLMAO
Bet the guy wants everyone to know he has "janded"

You never see anything sha cheesy

Only in Nigeria people like that will flourish, or maybe among the poor and uneducated ones who misconstrue "jand" as an accomplishment or fulfillment.
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by Godmother(f): 4:26pm On Apr 01, 2015
pansophist:

You never see anything sha cheesy

Only in Nigeria people like that will flourish, or maybe among the poor and uneducated ones who misconstrue "jand" as an accomplishment or fulfillment.

Hehehe isn't that why most of our young men are doing everything possible to leave the shores of naija. Its well. May God help us.
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by tpiadotcom: 4:42pm On Apr 01, 2015
Upgermany:

harsh
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by 19naia(m): 4:33am On Apr 02, 2015
I will return and they will see me bath from a bucket with hot water mixed in from a pot on the stove... They will see me chop pounded yam with egusi and ponmo, like a man just release from kirikiri prison of akata where they serve no such authenticity... I will walk around with second hand clothes on my back with some stains and tearing to show tenure, walking around buying Boli and osan/oranges from the road side....
Only my shoes will be of the impressive allure of akatadom... I must wear quality rugged shoes always ,and i can afford them..
No shame here, they will stare at me and wonder what kind of craze dey do me...
But as soon as smoke pollution from all the lorries and generators and firewood cookers start to pain my lungs and labor my breathing, i will run back to "diaspora" quietly like a thief in the night...
If i can last at least 6 months there after returning from "diaspora", i will make a certificate of life accomplishment for myself and hang it in my parlour.... If I can last 6 months, i will be satisfied with never returning and satisfied with many pictures and recorded videos to remind me of my accomplishment in life...
I have been to Mega cities before, and they do not agree with me.. Bad for my health... But in Nigeria i would have the advantage of friends and family..

2 Likes

Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by Nobody: 5:22am On Apr 02, 2015
19naia:
I will return and they will see me bath from a bucket with hot water mixed in from a pot on the stove... They will see me chop pounded yam with egusi and ponmo, like a man just release from kirikiri prison of akata where they serve no such authenticity... I will walk around with second hand clothes on my back with some stains and tearing to show tenure, walking around buying Boli and osan/oranges from the road side....
Only my shoes will be of the impressive allure of akatadom... I must wear quality rugged shoes always ,and i can afford them..
No shame here, they will stare at me and wonder what kind of craze dey do me...
But as soon as smoke pollution from all the lorries and generators and firewood cookers start to pain my lungs and labor my breathing, i will run back to "diaspora" quietly like a thief in the night...
If i can last at least 6 months there after returning from "diaspora", i will make a certificate of life accomplishment for myself and hang it in my parlour.... If I can last 6 months, i will be satisfied with never returning and satisfied with many pictures and recorded videos to remind me of my accomplishment in life...
I have been to Mega cities before, and they do not agree with me.. Bad for my health... But in Nigeria i would have the advantage of friends and family..

This sounds like a suicide attempt.. But if you like waka like craze person, we know who come from abroad so better drop all those old clothes before you come..

1 Like

Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by 19naia(m): 5:27am On Apr 02, 2015
favoured234:

This sounds like a suicide attempt.. But if you like waka like craze person, we know who come from abroad so better drop all those old clothes before you come..

I beg o, i have many friends and family there, not to worry.. They will help me feel welcome no matter how i dress...
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by Nobody: 5:33am On Apr 02, 2015
19naia:

I beg o, i have many friends and family there, not to worry.. They will help me feel welcome no matter how i dress...

I am helping your family and friends to inform you that they don't want clothes that have seen better days

3 Likes

Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by 19naia(m): 7:03am On Apr 02, 2015
favoured234:

I am helping your family and friends to inform you that they don't want clothes that have seen better days

Ok, maybe i will just go to Mauritius with my old clothes and commot dem from my body and just stay on the beach livng the good life with no worry of clothes or people looking to suck the life from me... Chai! Naija sha...
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by Nobody: 7:13am On Apr 02, 2015
19naia:

Ok, maybe i will just go to Mauritius with my old clothes and commot dem from my body and just stay on the beach livng the good life with no worry of clothes or people looking to suck the life from me... Chai! Naija sha...

Ohhh Sorry na, no vex, come with those clothes, but if you have any family or friend like me then be sure we will go to farm together...
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by tpiadotcom: 4:07pm On Apr 02, 2015
19naia:

is too much money worrying you?
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by 19naia(m): 4:20pm On Apr 02, 2015
favoured234:

Ohhh Sorry na, no vex, come with those clothes, but if you have any family or friend like me then be sure we will go to farm together...
Yes, i beg Oo, now you dey gree wit me.. I like d farm and fresh air of d bush. Its in my blood.. True talk, my grand father was the big chief of our village deep in the bush, Cocoa Farmers.. My family stil dey there and one among them is the current chief... I love d bush, thats why i dont worry to waste on clothes that will not fit in with my lifestyle... grin
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by 19naia(m): 4:36pm On Apr 02, 2015
tpiadotcom:

is too much money worrying you?
Its priorities for me... I have the money, but dressing up is not high on my list... Travel across the world and the diaspora country is high on my list, buy house is on my list, my son in 2nd year university is on my list, eat good and healthy food is on the list, and maybe a nice lady on my list....
So tired of all these akata people here in Diaspora who wear $150 shoe and $200 in clothes on top and another $300 in jewelry, and then they live in a ghetto house subsidized by government, eat government dash food and always complain about money when it comes to anything else but dressing like they have money...
I dress simple and no shame because my lifestyle is outdoors in the bush with fresh air and in my garden.. Even here in Diaspora, i stay in the bush area and have a small farm lot in the bush... And my Naija family, lets just speak truth and say my family is the cheiftancy of the farm village in the bush where my grandfather was the founding cheif..
All my life a bush boy and its in my blood.. Why waste on excess clothes that will be destroyed by my lifestyle..
BTW thats why i do spend big money on tough rugged outdoor Shoes that will last, be waterproof in the rain, swamps and rivers and last the beating of trekking dirt roads as well as city concrete streets... Only my shoes show signs of money and maybe my healthy and fine looking body as well.... Clothes are iust the surface... I never understood ladies that dress expensive and exquisite to impress men, when after she encounters the man, he is desperate to see only the beauty under her clothes and just throw d clothes to the ground like rubbish while mashing them with their feet as the go for each other bare unclad like there is no tomorrow.... Truth be dis.l

3 Likes

Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by tpiadotcom: 4:48pm On Apr 02, 2015
I can't make head or tail of your write up, you are discussing too many different things.

Have you been to mauritius before and where is it located?

Isn't it one of those places where you can find rare wildlife.
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by 19naia(m): 12:50am On Apr 03, 2015
tpiadotcom:
I can't make head or tail of your write up, you are discussing too many different things.

Have you been to mauritius before and where is it located?

Isn't it one of those places where you can find rare wildlife.

Maritius is off the coast of Madagascar off of South africa.. Its in the Indian Ocean... Its very nice there, mix of african, indian and asian people.. Its a french and english speaking island nation... It has a developed city and also much tranquil island beach life and many farms up inland..
Never been there yet~ but i have checked it out and am seriously considering it instead of going to Brazil.. Maybe Brazil can wait until after Mauritius...
Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by tpiadotcom: 9:56pm On Apr 03, 2015
^ cool, the Madagascar 2 movie was quite impressive. . . . . . . . .

1 Like

Re: Returning Diasporans...what Do You Most Admire.... And Hate About Them? by buddy221(m): 9:46am On Apr 05, 2015
I like those that will come back with FORD EXPLORER.. It makes me dream high... Atleast only the FORD or RANGE ROVER will give me the hope of making it wen I get there. I hate those dat will come back with nothing because, they will kill my moral, they will make me feel as if abroad is hell.. Although its semi hell if u ain't legal there. Bt, atleast they shuld come back with camry... Even if its 1999 model. And then I ama love those dat is gona remember there home boys even if they have no cash on 'em.. Let they still mingle with homies.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Travel / See How Clean Ibadan Is / How Do I Send Money To Someone In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.