Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,885 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:33 AM

IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam (1339 Views)

The Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985… / I Overthrew Shagari, Yet He Bears No Grudge, Says General Buhari / Buhari Overthrew Shagari Over $2.8b Oil Scam: Tinubu Wants APC VP Slot – Ikimi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by folahann(m): 7:16am On Mar 18, 2015
In this interview, Col. Tony Nyiam, who was part
of the failed attempt to oust the Gen. Ibrahim
Babangida’s military government in 1990, tells
WAHEED BAKARE and ALLWELL OKPI, how the
Orkar coup originated and its relevance to
Nigerian politics

There is the argument that we don’t need to
have another conference since we have
representatives at the National Assembly.

It is the most ignorant assumption. Why do I say
it is ignorant? With all the political scientists we
have in our midst, people forget that what we
are practising is what we call indirect democracy.
What do I mean? The proprietary right over
people’s sovereignty is delegated to people we
elect to make laws for us. When it comes to
making constitutional reforms or constitution
making, you go to what is called direct
democracy. Direct democracy means direct
voting by the people in the form of a
referendum and that is why the universal
practice is that a constitution making process
that does not go through a constituent
assembly, whose decisions are approved by a
referendum, is null and void. We see the
examples. Look at South Sudan; it’s creation
resulted from a referendum. How is it that
Nigerians do not understand that for a
constitution to be legitimate, it has to be driven
by the people, and the people are usually
represented by a constituent assembly? And this
constituent assembly is usually made up of non-
partisan politicians, because partisan politicians
are only concerned with the next election. They
are not concerned about posterity or long-term
issues in the country. So, constitution which
outlives people and a generation should be
driven by civil society, collection of every
nationality in the country and clerics. I would
cite an example. My second home is in Scotland
and in Scotland those who drove for the national
conference were the clerics of the Church of
Scotland, they were at the forefront. We also
saw it in Ireland. Britain has the oldest
parliament in the world, why are they allowing a
constituent assembly to go ahead, while there
are parliaments? It is only in Nigeria that such
argument is raised because of the ignorance of
the difference between direct and indirect
democracy. That’s why I have tried to do an
aide-memoir to aid constitution- making. There
are certain basic principles of constitution-
making, which if we do not follow, would be like
building a house on quicksand.

Do you think we would have been able to tackle
these problems if the June 12 election had not
been annulled by Babangida?
The thing is, Chief MKO Abiola, who I had the
opportunity to work with when he escaped from
Nigeria to UK, was a man that we lost because
his plan was to correct the national issues and
start democracy in Nigeria. But because some
western interests in Nigeria did not want this,
they colluded to do away with him.

You once said soldiers could be recruited for a
coup without their knowledge. How is that
possible?
Yes, there are many instances. You might want
to verify this from Gen. Buhari, he was not the
initiator of that coup that brought him in as
Head of State, it was Gen. Ibrahim Bako and
Babangida that initiated it. But because they
wanted a credible figure as a face, he was
brought in. He did not know the genesis of that
coup. He was not quite aware of the original
idea behind the coup and that was why when he
decided to make a change, he was forced to
step aside. So, if this could happen to a whole
Gen. Buhari, who was supposedly the leader of a
coup, it shows how many soldiers can be
brought in that way.

Does that mean overthrowing Shagari’s
government was IBB’s idea?
It was the idea of late Gen. Bako and IBB. Buhari
was only brought in because they needed a face
with integrity.

Can you give other instances?
Gen. Yakubu Gowon was not part of the coup
that brought him in. He was a decent man.
Nigerians like to play what the Yoruba people
call bojuboju; they bring a figure with integrity
to cover up their real intention; the real
intention of politicians in uniform who have
found cheap party. Many elements of them are in
our partisan politics today.

http://www.punchng.com/feature/interview/ibb-not-buhari-overthrew-shagaris-govt-col-nyiam/
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by DaBullIT(m): 7:21am On Mar 18, 2015
This PDP's Lie , propaganda busted , where una dey PDP dogs, bingo , bingo come prove otherwise grin

3 Likes

Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by Ovaiegbe(m): 7:29am On Mar 18, 2015
If one was the driver in a car robbery, does it matter if it was him who plotted or pointed the gun during the robbery?

I used to think Col Nyiam was sensible but I can now see his hatred for IBB is having the best of him.

3 Likes

Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by LoveDecay(m): 7:39am On Mar 18, 2015
Ovaiegbe:
If one was the driver in a car robbery, does it matter if it was him who plotted or pointed the gun during the robbery?

I used to think Col Nyiam was sensible but I can now see his hatred for IBB is having the best of him.

see sense - so once someone go move contrary to the herd mentality - e no get sense again. Person talk sey IBB not Buhari overthrew Shagari, did you go back and do some research to see if there is any substance to what Nyiam said, no you did not. So now he is not sensible because he saying it as he saw it. Where you amongst them ? ITK
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by ellguapo: 7:46am On Mar 18, 2015
Buhari keeps getting it right, consciously and otherwise. Antecedents are just too pristine and we would not fail to to return that integrity to our dear nation by Marching for Buhari/osibanjo

P- please

V- vote

C- change

4 Likes

Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by Ovaiegbe(m): 10:08am On Mar 18, 2015
LoveDecay:

see sense - so once someone go move contrary to the herd mentality - e no get sense again. Person talk sey IBB not Buhari overthrew Shagari, did you go back and do some research to see if there is any substance to what Nyiam said, no you did not. So now he is not sensible because he saying it as he saw it. Where you amongst them ? ITK

IBB overthrew Shagari and Buhari began Head of State from that act. If Shagari was able to butch the coup, would Buhari have been named a coup plotter? Is Col Nyiam trying to tell us GMB did not overthrow a democratic government? Are coups plotted by just one man?
IBB was Director Army staff duties and plans in Army HQ before the said coup. A position that had no direct control of personnel needed for a coup while GMB on the other hand was General Officer Commanding, 3rd Armed Division Nigerian Army a position which controls sufficient troops to run down a country. What exactly is Col Nyiam trying to make us believe?
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by chiomashine: 10:37am On Mar 18, 2015
We don't care, Buhari is evil for all I care
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by blackfase(m): 10:44am On Mar 18, 2015
Sai Buhari! In 9 days we decide. Finito!

2 Likes

Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 11:09am On Mar 18, 2015
Col. Nyiam i dot understand what you are trying to say up there becareful
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by Azwealth(m): 11:27am On Mar 18, 2015
Another lie and propaganda busted!!
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by omolami: 11:52am On Mar 18, 2015
COL NYIAM KNOWS VERY WELL THAT ANYONE BROUGHT IN TO TAKE PART IN A COUP IS PART AND PARCEL OF THE COUP. THEREFORE BUHARI WAS PART OF THE COUP MORE SO AS HE HEADED THE GOVERNMENT THEN

1 Like

Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by PedroJP(m): 12:36pm On Mar 18, 2015
Azwealth:
Another lie and propaganda busted!!

Now u wanna change history. So IBB overthrew Shagari's govt and Buhari took over ? U'v waited long to bust this propaganda. See ur head like busted.
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by folahann(m): 10:19am On Mar 24, 2015
omolami:
COL NYIAM KNOWS VERY WELL THAT ANYONE BROUGHT IN TO TAKE PART IN A COUP IS PART AND PARCEL OF THE COUP. THEREFORE BUHARI WAS PART OF THE COUP MORE SO AS HE HEADED THE GOVERNMENT THEN

Read very well and comprehend. After they have successfully carried out the coup, they selected Buhari who wasn't part of their plan to head the govt.
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by TechRev: 10:43am On Mar 24, 2015
And how does police or law address the man that buys or receives stolen goods?? Especially when the man knows the goods were stolen??

(1) (Reply)

Lagos And Its Political Wahala Mask Gun Men At Oshodi. / What Fayose Must Do For Us To Drop Our Impeachment Plot Against Him-- Ominrin / Old Biscuit: Did Anyone On NL Ever Eat This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.