Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:59 PM

Why Godwin Is A Boring Song - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Godwin Is A Boring Song (1992 Views)

Latest Addition To The Nigerian Music Scene, Godwin Jay Drops Club Banging Song / [music] Korede Bello Ft. 2face, Olamide, Davido, Lil Kesh & Phyno-godwin (remix) / Download Godwin Remix By Korede Bello And All Stars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by suwailad(f): 11:11am On Mar 18, 2015
there was just this too much hash tag #godwin
everywhere so i tried to figure out what was it
i heard the song and i must say as a song writer and composer myself
the song is flat boring. It is the same old monotonous rhythm, and from
start to end all was digital and too stereolike.
The melody is too over pronounced with no identation at a certain point, no meaningful bridge, different notes?
well music can be anything to anyone but in my opinion the song is a fail in terms of professional music production

8 Likes

Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by valmunich(m): 11:14am On Mar 18, 2015
Lol... OP, did this analysis in anyway put food for your table¿ grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by kestolove95(m): 11:42am On Mar 18, 2015
Wen I downloaded d song. I couldn't eeven. Listen to it finish I just delete it....d song. no make sense joor

1 Like

Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by ycmdng(m): 11:47am On Mar 18, 2015
@ OP, how would this criticism affect your music career positively, where were you when Kcee sang Limpopo or other gibberish? The song is purely praise and if u know you can do better kindly apply for Nigerian Idol season next season.
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by suwailad(f): 9:38pm On Mar 18, 2015
kestolove95:
Wen I downloaded d song. I couldn't eeven. Listen to it finish I just delete it....d song. no make sense joor

good you share my thoughts. You must have high music tastes.
lalasticala, airmark pls fp
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by kestolove95(m): 11:09pm On Mar 18, 2015
suwailad:

good you share my thoughts. You must have high music tastes.
lalasticala, airmark pls fp
badli in love with music, so I knnw a. Nice song wen I hear one
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by Krasid(m): 9:58am On Mar 19, 2015
suwailad:
The melody is too over pronounced with no identation at a certain point, no meaningful bridge, different notes?
well music can be anything to anyone but in my opinion the song is a fail in terms of professional music production
Give me 5 Nigerian songs currently that has all the qualities you mentioned in your post.

1 Like

Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by suwailad(f): 10:36am On Mar 19, 2015
Krasid:
Give me 5 Nigerian songs currently that has all the qualities you mentioned in your post.

i cant think of just one, and that is surprising
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by Krasid(m): 10:45am On Mar 19, 2015
suwailad:

i cant think of just one, and that is surprising
It shows that there are even more crappy songs in Nigeria right now.I wonder why you chose to criticize Godwin.
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by suwailad(f): 10:45am On Mar 19, 2015
Krasid:
It shows that there are even more crappy songs in Nigeria right now.I wonder why you chose to criticize Godwin.

a friend of mine was so crazy about it that i had to listen and analyze it. what a crap song

1 Like

Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by talktimi(m): 10:46am On Mar 19, 2015
I hardly buy or download naija songs anymore (never bought a P square or even tuface album) the female artists aren't even helping matters Tiwa Savage inclusive, not that she's a bad singer/lyricist but why the over reliance on auto tune ? I've bought all D'banj albums sha and I once enjoyed Ruggedman. The truth is that our musicians ALL sound alike now so there's really no need to stress yourself getting their albums or songs for your personal collection. Till tomorrow, the only person I take serious is Eldee the Don of the Trybesmen fame
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by joywendy(f): 10:50am On Mar 19, 2015
You should Know by now that most Nigerian songs are just stûpïd! They hardly make sense and people just like beat. No lyric, no nothing....piece of garbage.

Fortunately for them and unfortunately for us, they are swimming in money for singing garbage undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by Krasid(m): 10:50am On Mar 19, 2015
suwailad:

a friend of mine was so crazy about it that i had to listen and analyze it. what a crap song
The Nigerian music industry has a long way to go.

1 Like

Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 20, 2015
Not just godwin,but a whole lot of other songs,with dorobucci topping my list,and that nonsense shoki song...bunch of garbage
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by yoji: 6:51pm On Mar 20, 2015
suwailad:

dude has a much better song: cold outside.
way better than Godwin, strangely its got less airplay.
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by suwailad(f): 8:10pm On Mar 20, 2015
yoji:

dude has a much better song: cold outside.
way better than Godwin, strangely its got less airplay.

cold outside is even dumber.
i dont know why every artist want to go this dikpan dikpan kind of songs
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by yoji: 12:28pm On Mar 22, 2015
suwailad:

cold outside is even dumber.
i dont know why every artist want to go this dikpan dikpan kind of songs
not all. We still hv BOJ, bez, asa, GT, SDC, etc
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by suwailad(f): 12:38pm On Mar 22, 2015
yoji:

not all. We still hv BOJ, bez, asa, GT, SDC, etc

and where are the fvcking are?
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by safarigirl(f): 11:11pm On Mar 23, 2015
Dunno what y'all are bytchin' about here. Different songs for different folks. That you don't like a song or think it's stewpid doesn't mean your opinion is superior or it means squat

Songs like Bandz a make her dance, Turn Down For What and Anaconda seem stewpid to millions (and they truly are), but they appeal to a target audience. If everyone did 'meaningful' songs we'd all get bored eventually.

I thought Oliver Twist was dumb, but look where it took D'banj. Learn to appreciate music, no music is bad, they all have their purposes and you (@OP) being a song writer ain't shiit. I write songs too, but I don't start up threads to criticise someone's hard work especially when nothing of mine is in the market undecided

PS: Godwin is a feel good song just like Pharrel's Happy....but since it's Nigerian, you feel the need to trash it. If Happy was a Naija song, y'all would trash it too

1 Like

Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by jemype(m): 12:10am On Mar 24, 2015
Respect your view. Im an ardent music listener from pangolo music to country to pentatonix. To b sincere im still trying to understand dat song- Godwin. I think it was jus a crowd mentality song. Pls understand i commented because u sound lyk sm1 who listens to music. I think Korede is d best act after don jazzy in mavin who does songs dat i lyk but this song was jus dere. Not jus because it wasnt a party track but it was jus plain. Nd about happy be careful oo dat song changed his career. Google his networth after and before happy. Happy wasnt much of a party track but everyone could relatea theme to it. The theme was -joy. As much as the theme of Godwin is -victory i'd say d tune is not in coherence at all with it d song. wat annoyed me d most about d song was dat i was listening to d song one day and one guy was explaining d lyrics to me. I mean a toddler can even decipher dat no effort was put into that song considering the standard mavin is on at the moment.dat song jus changes my mood everytym i hear it.and about oliver twist. I hate dbanj because he was just a victim of circumstance in d whole mohits saga but oliver twist was d last best song d banj had done i must confess.i prefer k switch jus that he is easily influenced and overshadowed. He should go back to garage style. Bands a make her dance and tuen down for what are not even songs. I can only hear them when im tipsy but bcuz i cant rememba d lyrics after hearing them. my 2 cents tho
safarigirl:
Dunno what y'all are bytchin' about here. Different songs for different folks. That you don't like a song or think it's stewpid doesn't mean your opinion is superior or it means squat

Songs like Bandz a make her dance, Turn Down For What and Anaconda seem stewpid to millions (and they truly are), but they appeal to a target audience. If everyone did 'meaningful' songs we'd all get bored eventually.

I thought Oliver Twist was dumb, but look where it took D'banj. Learn to appreciate music, no music is bad, they all have their purposes and you (@OP) being a song writer ain't shiit. I write songs too, but I don't start up threads to criticise someone's hard work especially when nothing of mine is in the market undecided

PS: Godwin is a feel good song just like Pharrel's Happy....but since it's Nigerian, you feel the need to trash it. If Happy was a Naija song, y'all would trash it too
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by Nobody: 7:45am On Mar 24, 2015
suwailad:
There's nothing wrong with digital music as long as the underlying chord progression is logical. You need to enter the world of sound synthesis/design to really understand how creative one has to be to make good digital music.
The song has a kind of highlife feel, hence the repetition. I agree that the melody could have been stronger had he employed binary response or call and response to give some phrase coherence. What were you expecting for the rythm part asides some simple polyrythm and syncopation here and there? We're talking about West African music here. About the bridge, who says every song must have a bridge? There are tonnes of ways to arrange a song...one should only use an arrangement that works for one's idea. Many people know their music, but you'll find out that adhering to rules all the time can make you sound boring. Nigerians are already used to this kind of rythm-driven music...it will take a while before they can appreciate higher quality music. I don't understand what you meant by too stereo-like though. Do some instruments sound isolated? I would need to listen on headphones to check that.
What if I needed you to write a song for me?
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by safarigirl(f): 8:58am On Mar 24, 2015
jemype:
Respect your view. Im an ardent music listener from pangolo music to country to pentatonix. To b sincere im still trying to understand dat song- Godwin. I think it was jus a crowd mentality song. Pls understand i commented because u sound lyk sm1 who listens to music. I think Korede is d best act after don jazzy in mavin who does songs dat i lyk but this song was jus dere. Not jus because it wasnt a party track but it was jus plain. Nd about happy be careful oo dat song changed his career. Google his networth after and before happy. Happy wasnt much of a party track but everyone could relatea theme to it. The theme was -joy. As much as the theme of Godwin is -victory i'd say d tune is not in coherence at all with it d song. wat annoyed me d most about d song was dat i was listening to d song one day and one guy was explaining d lyrics to me. I mean a toddler can even decipher dat no effort was put into that song considering the standard mavin is on at the moment.dat song jus changes my mood everytym i hear it.and about oliver twist. I hate dbanj because he was just a victim of circumstance in d whole mohits saga but oliver twist was d last best song d banj had done i must confess.i prefer k switch jus that he is easily influenced and overshadowed. He should go back to garage style. Bands a make her dance and tuen down for what are not even songs. I can only hear them when im tipsy but bcuz i cant rememba d lyrics after hearing them. my 2 cents tho
if you could understand that the theme of Godwin was victory, then that's all you really need to know about the song. Doesn't require anymore explanations and analysis.

It wasn't targeted at people with an in-depth knowledge of music, it was targeted at those who only know afro pop and such and it reached them, they get it. I prefer Cold Outside due to it's dexterity and the ability to mix up different dance styles with it, but that takes nothing away from Godwin

The key word there is 'target audience'....and I repeat, Happy and Godwin are on the same page as far as outreach and messages go...just that Happy has more of an exposure due to Pharrel's country and his background. If Happy was a naija song, it would've been dunked for being too 'copy copy' and all that shiit they nuked Ejeajo for, so Godwin was done with an African flavour

It may not be worthy of a Grammy, but it deserves an award of some sort and will most likely get lots
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by jemype(m): 9:14am On Mar 24, 2015
Well u r right there "target audience" and "award". I guess the song is ok. Maybe the problem of d song was Anticipation. People expect a lot from don jazzy. No matter how i hate the song i cant dispute the fact that it was well recieved by nigerians and is a feel good song. I guess its jus one of dosee nigerian songs people lyk me are jus forced to lyk by listening to it everywhere. Nigeria has to b one of d most unpredictable industry and i think don jazzy has to b d only producer that has really understood it if u check consistency of hits compared to other producers. Tho he may not have many legacy songs but he definitely knows how to stay abreast in the industry.
safarigirl:
if you could understand that the theme of Godwin was victory, then that's all you really need to know about the song. Doesn't require anymore explanations and analysis.

It wasn't targeted at people with an in-depth knowledge of music, it was targeted at those who only know afro pop and such and it reached them, they get it. I prefer Cold Outside due to it's dexterity and the ability to mix up different dance styles with it, but that takes nothing away from Godwin

The key word there is 'target audience'....and I repeat, Happy and Godwin are on the same page as far as outreach and messages go...just that Happy has more of an exposure due to Pharrel's country and his background. If Happy was a naija song, it would've been dunked for being too 'copy copy' and all that shiit they nuked Ejeajo for, so Godwin was done with an African flavour

It may not be worthy of a Grammy, but it deserves an award of some sort and will most likely get lots
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by safarigirl(f): 3:49pm On Mar 24, 2015
jemype:
Well u r right there "target audience" and "award". I guess the song is ok. Maybe the problem of d song was Anticipation. People expect a lot from don jazzy. No matter how i hate the song i cant dispute the fact that it was well recieved by nigerians and is a feel good song. I guess its jus one of dosee nigerian songs people lyk me are jus forced to lyk by listening to it everywhere. Nigeria has to b one of d most unpredictable industry and i think don jazzy has to b d only producer that has really understood it if u check consistency of hits compared to other producers. Tho he may not have many legacy songs but he definitely knows how to stay abreast in the industry.
it will grow on you eventually. Just like Feeling the nigga is growing on me smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by suwailad(f): 8:08pm On Mar 24, 2015
RickRichards:

There's nothing wrong with digital music as long as the underlying chord progression is logical. You need to enter the world of sound synthesis/design to really understand how creative one has to be to make good digital music.
The song has a kind of highlife feel, hence the repetition. I agree that the melody could have been stronger had he employed binary response or call and response to give some phrase coherence. What were you expecting for the rythm part asides some simple polyrythm and syncopation here and there? We're talking about West African music here. About the bridge, who says every song must have a bridge? There are tonnes of ways to arrange a song...one should only use an arrangement that works for one's idea. Many people know their music, but you'll find out that adhering to rules all the time can make you sound boring. Nigerians are already used to this kind of rythm-driven music...it will take a while before they can appreciate higher quality music. I don't understand what you meant by too stereo-like though. Do some instruments sound isolated? I would need to listen on headphones to check that.
What if I needed you to write a song for me?

ok what about steeping the game to the high quality kind of music but still retain it's afrobeat rhythm? it does not mean because it's naija song it must be noise, it can actually be a good written song on chords and notes not on some gathered patterns and then they say it's music.
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by suwailad(f): 8:09pm On Mar 24, 2015
safarigirl:

the song was too bland and boring. i would have preferred he stayed away from high notes in the chorus
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by safarigirl(f): 8:27pm On Mar 24, 2015
suwailad:

the song was too bland and boring. i would have preferred he stayed away from high notes in the chorus
that's your opinion. Lucky for Korede, majority don't share your opinion smiley
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 24, 2015
suwailad:

ok what about steeping the game to the high quality kind of music but still retain it's afrobeat rhythm? it does not mean because it's naija song it must be noise, it can actually be a good written song on chords and notes not on some gathered patterns and then they say it's music.
Plausible. That's where knowledge comes in. I'm a big fan of not only logical chord progressions, but also logical arrangements. Nigerians will have to demand higher quality music for that to happen though, or probably if a gifted artist emerges and blows the competition out of water, high quality music will then hopefully become the norm. But for now, many Nigerians still like the 'noise'.
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by homesteady(m): 7:34am On Mar 25, 2015
Anybody that says Godwin does not make sense, does not have sense! Simple!
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by suwailad(f): 9:45am On Mar 25, 2015
homesteady:
Anybody that says Godwin does not make sense, does not have sense! Simple!

yeah when it comes from kids like you cool
Re: Why Godwin Is A Boring Song by homesteady(m): 9:57am On Mar 25, 2015
suwailad:

yeah when it comes from kids like you cool

Yea! This your write up should bother nobody, because it's coming from an old grandma whose brain cells are suffering from atrophy!

(1) (Reply)

Gisttv.net VIDEO: Cassper Nyovest – Back To Back (AKA Diss) / Download Free Mp3: Merry Christmas Darling By Timi Dakolo Ft Emeli Sande / Which Diss Song Is Tighter ? Eldee Vs Freestyle: Listen & Comment Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.