Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:02 PM

She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... (5231 Views)

World's Ugliest Woman, Lizzie Velasquez Fighting Strongly In Different Way / She Was Called A Fat Whale In School, But Now She Is A Super Model (h0t Photos) / Nigeria's Hairiest Woman Now On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Dohmeenick(m): 1:20pm On Mar 18, 2015
She Was Called The World’s Ugliest Woman, Now She’s An Inspiration.
Lizzie Velasquez, star of 'A Brave Heart,' gives her top tips for being confident.
As it turns out, the oldest advice in the book
is also the most effective. “You have to be
fully aware and confident that you are
enough just being you,” Velasquez said.
“That’s enough! You don’t have to live up to
anyone else’s standards, you don’t have to
look like anyone else, you don’t have to
compare yourself to anyone else. You being
you is enough, and you putting your
positivity and good vibes out into the
world, once you get to that point absolutely
everything will fall into place. Whether it’s
your personal life, your work life, your
school life, your confidence, everything will
fit once you believe in yourself.”
Roll with the punches.
“It’s been my style for so long to just roll
with the punches and whenever something
comes up you get, really, to just tackle it and
enjoy it,” she said. “I actually made up my
TED Talk as I was going. I had it planned for
three weeks, and as I was walking up
onstage I looked at [the TED organizers]. I
was like, ‘listen, don’t freak out. I just need
you to trust me, but I’m changing
everything we planned.’ She looked at me
with big eyes and took a deep breath and
said, ‘I trust you.’ So I walked up and told
myself to pretend you’re talking to your
best friend.” Velasquez’s TED Talk has
millions of views.
Love yourself.
“A few years ago I did this thing that I now
call the Love Yourself List, where I wrote
down everything that I love about myself,
whether it’s physically or my personality,”
she said. “I posted the list on my bathroom
mirror to where I would see it every single
day and I read it until I believed it instead of
just looking at the words. And every time I
would compare myself or doubt myself, I
would think of the list and think, ‘these are
the things I do love about myself. And over
time, the list worked and I believed it.”
Fake it until you make
it.
As a junior in high school, Velasquez’s
principal asked her to speak to 400 9th
graders about her experience. After she
gave the talk, however, she caught the bug
and wanted to become a motivational
speaker.
“I went home and googled ‘how to be a
motivational speaker’ and made a website
and jailed people and said if you need a
speaker, I’m your girl. I didn’t tell that that
I’d only done one speech ever and didn’t
know anything. I just wasn’t going to go
wait around for it. I taught myself…I’m not
going to wait until someone asks me to go,
I’m going to go, ‘here I am!’”
It’s OK to have bad days.
You SHOULD have bad
days.
“I make it a point to let myself have bad
days on a regular basis,” Velasquez said.
“There were many times when I wouldn’t
get it out of my system. I wouldn’t let myself
cry and wouldn’t sit in a quiet room and
just reflect or take my dog for a walk and
leave my phone inside. I wouldn’t do all of
those things and over time you just build
up and at a certain point it builds up and
explodes, probably at the worst time
possible. I make it a point to let myself be
sad today and say ‘why me’ and cry and
complain and leave my blinds closed, but
tomorrow, it’s done. Tomorrow, I’m not
going to feel sorry for myself, I’m opening
my blinds, I’m getting out of bed, and I’m
letting myself be happy. It’s worked! And
now I can’t picture myself not doing those
things because it’s what keeps me sane.”

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Beamborla(f): 1:26pm On Mar 18, 2015
Oh dear! She should put on some more flesh...it would do her lots of Good.

1 Like

Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by sinaj(f): 1:34pm On Mar 18, 2015
she is an inspiration to me too.smiley

Lord have mercy!

1 Like

Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by daimsy(f): 1:42pm On Mar 18, 2015
I'm touched! cry
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by chucky234(m): 1:56pm On Mar 18, 2015
Jaw breaking, great speech.
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by pretydiva(f): 4:08pm On Mar 18, 2015
Great speech. Learnt a lot frm it.. luv her boldness n confidence. She didn't allow her predicament weigh her down. Nice 1

1 Like

Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Nobody: 5:00pm On Mar 18, 2015
Wow.
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Dohmeenick(m): 8:02pm On Mar 18, 2015
wish i could meet her
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Girltee1(f): 8:33pm On Mar 18, 2015
My God! cry
I love her confidence.
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Girltee1(f): 8:33pm On Mar 18, 2015
My God! cry
I love her confidence. smiley
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Dohmeenick(m): 9:52pm On Mar 18, 2015
I've read dis over nd over again....
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by channelz: 10:27pm On Mar 18, 2015
But she ain't ugly only bony
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Dohmeenick(m): 10:40pm On Mar 18, 2015
hmm
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Dohmeenick(m): 10:42pm On Mar 18, 2015
channelz:
But she ain't ugly only bony
dah...she's ugly ohh...make i no lie.....just look at her mouth region,d nose,eye,Jesus! Teeth.....mehn my broda...
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by englishmart(m): 10:44pm On Mar 18, 2015
it's not a crime to say the truth.
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by englishmart(m): 10:46pm On Mar 18, 2015
pretydiva:
Great speech. Learnt a lot frm it.. luv her boldness n confidence. She didn't allow her predicament weigh her down. Nice 1
she even has a predicament
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Nobody: 10:56pm On Mar 18, 2015
Oh no. . . these guys are way off. The ugliest woman isn't that one na. She's on naira land. grin
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Exjoker(m): 11:59pm On Mar 18, 2015
Dohmeenick:
wish i could meet her
And do what? I'm beginning to suspect something fishy
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by jessiecah(f): 4:57am On Mar 19, 2015
Beamborla:

Babe, that is what the disease is about na. She can't put on weight. It prevents her from accumulating body fat. She has zero percent body fat eventhough she consumes more calories
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Nobody: 5:18am On Mar 19, 2015
jessiecah:

Babe, that is what the disease is about na. She can't put on weight. It prevents her from accumulating body fat. She has zero percent body fat eventhough she consumes more calories
Good insight from you. But is there no medical remedy for it? May God have mercy. It's well. ........................................buy 1GB MTN Data plan for N1,200 only. 30 days duration. 24/7 services available. Call: 08107873795. Thanks & God bless.
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Beamborla(f): 7:11am On Mar 19, 2015
jessiecah:

Awwwwww! To bad angry
Only if I could give her some of mine.
She's doing good for herself, anyways
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Dohmeenick(m): 7:17am On Mar 19, 2015
Exjoker:
And do what? I'm beginning to suspect something fishy
what could u posibly be suspecting??....
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by ireneony(f): 7:22am On Mar 19, 2015
may God be her strength
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Exjoker(m): 9:06am On Mar 19, 2015
Dohmeenick:
what could u posibly be suspecting??....
The lady seem very confident of herself. Now, if you date her (they I'm seeing) and things didn't come work out the way you had expected and you come and abundant her. Imagine the kind of pain she will go through. Relationship don't last long with this kind of people o. You go soon tire
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Dohmeenick(m): 10:28am On Mar 19, 2015
Exjoker:
The lady seem very confident of herself. Now, if you date her (they I'm seeing) and things didn't come work out the way you had expected and you come and abundant her. Imagine the kind of pain she will go through. Relationship don't last long with this kind of people o. You go soon tire
omoh i wasnt thinking of dating her oooo...i will feel good if she tells me her story face 2 face..dats wht i mean ...bro
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by jessiecah(f): 11:31am On Mar 19, 2015
myhoodlink:
Good insight from you. But is there no medical remedy for it? May God have mercy. It's well. ........................................buy 1GB MTN Data plan for N1,200 only. 30 days duration. 24/7 services available. Call: 08107873795. Thanks & God bless.

No, there is none for now. It's a very rare something, I think only her and two other people in the world has it
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by jessiecah(f): 11:32am On Mar 19, 2015
Beamborla:

Awwwwww! To bad angry
Only if I could give her some of mine.
She's doing good for herself, anyways

Yeah boo
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Nobody: 11:37am On Mar 19, 2015
Ohhh wow

When i see things like this... I thank God for my life... Rlly inspirational
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Missmossy(f): 12:26pm On Mar 19, 2015
Aww so touching, its a good thing she survived all of the unpleasant experiences she went through. That's the spirit.

2 Likes

Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by Mhizkel(f): 12:37pm On Mar 19, 2015
That's why we should always tank God in whatever situation we are cos there are people out there dying to be in our position..All those gurls complaining they don't have big boobs, bum, n so on should come and see this woman
#I'm Grateful
Re: She Was Called The World Ugliest Woman,now She's An Inspiration... by dejavuh0007(m): 9:12am On Apr 05, 2015
Beamborla:
she suffers from a disease in which she cannot put on weight.. That's y she looks skinny but all in all the whole world knws her. unlike u fake ass bitch who have not even appeared on a television screen.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beyonce Is Now White / On Fire! Alicia Keys Shows Off Her Body Curves In Racy Outfit At La's Staples / Oh Waje! What Is Wrong With This Photo?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.