Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:36 AM

Overheating 406 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Overheating 406 (8988 Views)

Overheating: Causes And Some Likely Solutions / DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car / The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Overheating 406 by airex(m): 3:53pm On Mar 18, 2015
I don't know why my peugeot 406 temperature is always exceeding 90 within 10km even early in the morning. I just changed d engine because the other one got bad. I need help on the situation please. I'll be grateful

1 Like

Re: Overheating 406 by honmusa(m): 4:05pm On Mar 18, 2015
airex:
I don't know why my peugeot 406 temperature is always exceeding 90 within 10km even early in the morning. I just changed d engine because the other one got bad. I need help on the situation please. I'll be grateful
The faster your engine temperature get to optimum running temperature, the better for your engine .That is an indication that ur car cooling system is excellent .(as long as your engine doesn't overheat ).Actually, your car needs to get to close loop as soon as possible .
Re: Overheating 406 by Ikenna351(m): 4:32pm On Mar 18, 2015
airex:
I don't know why my peugeot 406 temperature is always[b] exceeding 90[/b] within 10km even early in the morning. I just changed d engine because the other one got bad. I need help on the situation please. I'll be grateful

Information you provided isnt enough to find solution for your Lion.

For a start, what engine model is it?

Then, whats the history of that cooling systems? In other words, whats the current state of the coling system?

How does the radiator fan works? Still factory?

The cooling system thermostat, still present?

How did you bleed the cooling system the last time you bled the System? Japs method or Peugeot method?

I can only help you here, if most of the above questions are answered.

Ikenna
Re: Overheating 406 by airex(m): 4:32pm On Mar 18, 2015
honmusa:

The faster your engine temperature get to optimum running temperature, the better for your engine .That is an indication that ur car cooling system is excellent .(as long as your engine doesn't overheat ).Actually, your car needs to get to close loop as soon as possible .
Sorry to ask, how do I know it's overheating and kindly help mi throw more light on this close loop stuff! I'm a novice. Thanx sir
Re: Overheating 406 by airex(m): 4:41pm On Mar 18, 2015
Ikenna351:

Information you provided isnt enough to find solution for your Lion.

For a start, what engine model is it?

Then, whats the history of that cooling systems? In other words, whats the current state of the coling system?

How does the radiator fan works? Still factory?

The cooling system thermostat, still present?

How did you bleed the cooling system the last time you bled the System? Japs method or Peugeot method?

I can only help you here, if most of the above questions are answered.

Ikenna
It's an EW10 engine. The cooling system perfect, thermostat absent, It was d japs system of bleeding. Tnx
Re: Overheating 406 by Ikenna351(m): 4:48pm On Mar 18, 2015
airex:
It's an EW10 engine. The cooling system perfect, thermostat absent, It was d japs system of bleeding. Tnx

The cooling system cannot be perfect with absence of thermostat and bleeding an EW engine with Japs method of bleeding.

Before I go further, how does the radiator fan works?

Ikenna
Re: Overheating 406 by airex(m): 4:59pm On Mar 18, 2015
Ikenna351:

The cooling system cannot be perfect with absence of thermostat and bleeding an EW engine with Japs method of bleeding.

Before I go further, how does the radiator fan works?

Ikenna
It works well, twas tested yesterday. I'm grateful for ur time sir
Re: Overheating 406 by Ikenna351(m): 5:10pm On Mar 18, 2015
airex:
It works well, twas tested yesterday. I'm grateful for ur time sir

It works well, how?

Let me break it down.

When you start the car, does the fan starts spinning immediately the engine starts or immediately you switch on ignition?

OR

Does the fan starts spinning after the engine has ran for about 30 minutes (without AC)?

Ikenna
Re: Overheating 406 by airex(m): 5:12pm On Mar 18, 2015
Ikenna351:

It works well, how?

Let me break it down.

When you start the car, does the fan starts spinning immediately the engine starts or immediately you switch on ignition?

OR

Does the fan starts spinning after the engine has ran for about 30 minutes (without AC)?

Ikenna
the fan starts spining immediately I switch on th ignition
Re: Overheating 406 by Ikenna351(m): 5:18pm On Mar 18, 2015
airex:
the fan starts spining immediately I switch on th ignition

Then your radiator fan doesn't work well. In fact, your cooling system is seriously abused. To put it in a better way, you are currently ruining that engine you newly purchased and mounted.

Anyway, I am kind of busy right now. Will get back to you on how to revert that abuse and then troubleshoot then find out if any cooling system component is faulty for exceeding 90 degree Celsius at such short km.

Ikenna
Re: Overheating 406 by airex(m): 5:23pm On Mar 18, 2015
Ikenna351:

Then your radiator fan doesn't work well. In fact, your cooling system is seriously abused. To put it in a better way, you are currently ruining that engine you newly purchased and mounted.

Anyway, I am kind of busy right now. Will get back to you on how to revert that abuse and then troubleshoot then find out if any cooling system component is faulty for exceeding 90 degree Celsius at such short km.

Ikenna
Ok. Thanx a lot sir, I'll b waiting
Re: Overheating 406 by Ikenna351(m): 10:27pm On Mar 18, 2015
Ok. Lets continue.

Ikenna
Re: Overheating 406 by Ikenna351(m): 10:33pm On Mar 18, 2015
Removing cooling system thermostat doesn't guarantee your engine won't overheat. That's mistake people make. It will even make it worse when the lion starts overheating, since there is no more engine temperature regulator, which is the thermostat you have removed.

Absence of thermostat will shorten the current engine lifespan, which could the cause failure for the previous engine.

Bypassing fan factory connection and connecting it to spin with ignition on or engine running, is as bad as removing thermostat. Now, removing thermostat and abusing fan connection to spin constantly will amount to quick death of engine.

The way out?

Ikenna
Re: Overheating 406 by Ikenna351(m): 10:43pm On Mar 18, 2015
For a start, go and get EW10 thermostat and mount back in thermostat housing. It cost about 6k. Before you mount it, test it on a pot of boiling water and observe when it opens and closes. Do that for 3 times, to be sure the thermostat works before you mount it. That a thermostat is new doesn't mean it will work

Will post picture of EW10 thermostat later.

Ikenna
Re: Overheating 406 by Ikenna351(m): 11:00pm On Mar 18, 2015
Now comes the bleeding Peugeot method.

Please, if you don't bleed a lions cooling system with Peugeot recommended method, you stand a high chance of trapping air inside the radiator and/or engine.

For Peugeots, their cooling systems are better bled when engine is cold.

Most importantly, the engine must be off while bleeding a Peugeot cooling system. This is where people make mistakes, bleeding with other brands method that requires engines to be running. For Peugeot cars, the engine must not run while bleeding.

Now, for your EW10 engine, it has 3 bleed points. 1 on radiator, 2nd point on thermostat housing and 3rd point on heater matrix line. 406 radiator with EW10 engine has a bleed valve. If you don't bleed from that valve, air will remain trapped in the radiator no mater how you bleed from other bleed valves. The first place to start bleeding on EW engine bay is from heater matrix bleed screw. The 2nd place is the radiator. While the last place to bleed is the 5" Allen bolt on thermostat housing. If you don't bleed from that bolt on thermostat housing, air will be trapped in the engine, cylinder head to be specific.

The thing is, a Peugeot engine that is not well bled, will overheat, because of air trapped in.

Now, to your abused fan connection.

Ikenna
Re: Overheating 406 by Ikenna351(m): 11:16pm On Mar 18, 2015
Remove the 406 front grille. You will see a box that houses 3 relays. Also, you will see 2 resistors by the side. The abuse is usually carried out in that relay box. You will have to open that box. If you can't reverse the factory bypass they did, you will need someone experience to do for you.

When the abuse is reverted, the fan should come on after about 30 mins of engine at idle (without AC). The speed one will speed for a minute or so and goes off. It will take it another 10-20 mins or more to spin again. You will observe how quiet your engine will become and how low your rpm will be, as low as 600 rpm (that is, if they have not abused the throttle stop adjustment on the throttle body).

Its at this stage that you can now observe and see if the temperature gauge will behave or not. It will be easy for you to now troubleshoot an overheating issue in this correct state, if at all it will still overheat.

Ikenna
Re: Overheating 406 by vamsexy: 7:23am On Dec 10, 2015
Please where is ur workshop...406 overheating problem....08056602066.
Re: Overheating 406 by Neyo31: 2:38pm On Feb 22, 2017
Please i just got a 406 automatic 2002 model and it is overheating. Don'[color=#000099][/color]t know the engine though. Firstly the water from the radiator is so dirty. As in it is brown even after pouring coolant and bleeding. Japs way that is. The overheating is much when the AC is on. I noticed too that the fan starts working immediately engine is turned on which means it has been tampered with. Please what do i do? Secondly when in motion and d gear is to shift from 3 to 4 or 4 to 5,not sure of the gear speed now, it jerks and the S and Ice sign on the dashboard begins to blink and the thrust in power reduces. Not as fast as it would have gone. Please what is the cause too. Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Driver's License Breaking News For Fresh Applicants / Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. / Why Are Cars Cheap In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.