Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,122 members, 7,807,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka (30656 Views)

Military Plans Joint Operations Against Herdsmen / Buhari Says Military Plans To Rig For PDP / "I Know Those Behind The Plot To Form An Interim Government"-prof Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Clerverly: 11:51pm On Mar 18, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MavznR-Nbw8

The Nigerian Nobel laureate for literature, Wole Soyinka, has expressed concerns in an interview with DW that the military could take power following presidential elections in Nigeria on March 28.

The 80-year-old writer, who has taken an active role in African politics for more than 50 years, says he fears there are "clear indications of a military intervention."

Soyinka told DW: "Ex military officers and security officers are trying to push aside the political contestants and use the unrest as an excuse to establish an interim government. The nature of the interim government wants to pretend it's not really a military intervention. A few political leaders, well-known civilians, want to give the veneer of civilian structure, but basically it’s a kind of political intervention."

The presidential election in Nigeria, Africa's strongest economy, was originally scheduled to take place in February before it was postponed by six weeks. The vote pits Christian incumbent Goodluck Jonathan against Muslim Muhammadu Buhari.

Soyinka says his country "is aspiring very hard to become a failed state." Speaking about the more than 200 schoolgirls who were kidnapped by terror group Boko Haram in northeastern Nigeria a year ago, he expressed little hope that "the majority of them" will ever be found. Despite military gains made by troops from neighboring Cameroon, Niger and Chad, Soyinka believes there’s no chance of a rapid victory over the jihadist group. "It will take a generation at least to exterminate this phenomenon altogether. The military would not have had to cope with Boko Haram on this level if the proper action had been taken at the right time. This is the biggest the problem I have with the Jonathan government."

Soyinka also laments the increasingly aggressive direction the election campaign in Nigeria is taking. Recently, the president’s wife Patience Jonathan called on her husband’s followers to stone people who demanded a different leader. Political observers saw this as a call for violence against the main opposition party, the All Progressives Congress (APC), which is campaigning on a platform of change.

Soyinka told DW that while he doesn't support the opposition's move to file criminal charges against the First Lady in the International Criminal Court, her comments should not go unchecked.

"What she said was totally unacceptable. I no longer regard her as the First Lady of Nigeria," he said.
http://www.dw.de/nobel-laureate-wole-soyinka-nigerias-military-plans-to-establish-an-interim-government/a-18323205

www.saharareporters.com/2015/03/19/i-know-those-behind-plot-form-interim-government-prof-wole-soyinka#disqus_thread.com

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Clerverly: 11:52pm On Mar 18, 2015
Soyinka told DW that while he doesn't support the opposition's move to file criminal charges against the First Lady in the International Criminal Court, her comments should not go unchecked.

I said it on the other thread, APC should have saved Nigeria the embarrassment of reporting her to the ICC, because if she speaks at ICC, Nigeria’s academic degree will never be accepted abroad.
*Fact*

357 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by ijustdey: 11:55pm On Mar 18, 2015
WoW......
Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by OracleMxNelson(m): 11:56pm On Mar 18, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by menix(m): 11:57pm On Mar 18, 2015
Prof. As my Role model please its advised u Deck on this matter.

Oya APC goons mk una com play 4 sand wey dem give una free..

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 12:02am On Mar 19, 2015
Interview with DW? And i ask APC which one is DW?

Can yuou please give us Yutube section of this interview?

APC, shame on you people!

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by WisdomFlakes: 12:02am On Mar 19, 2015
Choi! Military intervention in governance in today's Nigeria is Dead-on-Arrival. GEJ had better not try it o.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by WisdomFlakes: 12:04am On Mar 19, 2015
alfred5:

Can yuou please give up Yutube section of this interview?

If you don't know the German equivalent of the BBC then you need some serious exposure bro, upgrade pls.

136 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Clerverly: 12:04am On Mar 19, 2015
alfred5:

Opened the link, you will see the see 3 mins Video of the interview! I tried to copy the url link of the video without success!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 12:04am On Mar 19, 2015
"Ex military officers and security officers are trying to push aside the political contestants and use the unrest as an excuse to establish an interim government. The nature of the interim government wants to pretend it's not really a military intervention. A few political leaders, well-known civilians, want to give the veneer of civilian structure, but basically it’s a kind of political intervention."

Who and who are the ex-Generals? Which Political contestants are they pushing? Is Soyinka out of touch with trend or Old age is telling on him? While I respect his status as a Nobel Icon, I will advice him to critically look at merits and demerits of subject before going public with his position. His position is flawed.

As for the reporting of PEJ to ICC, I understand that Soyinka never liked PEJ because he was/is sympathetic to Amaechi, however, reporting Dame to ICC when nobody has been reportedly attacked or stoned as a result of her "miscalculated statement" will amount to nullity. What about the various threats from Buhari team notably from their chieftains and spokesman? what about the stoning of President Jonathan that amounts to treason? He said nothing!!!

Prof, there will be no ING...

I am not on this thread to bandy word with any bitter and aggressive supporter of a particular party.

Sai GEJ>>>>2019

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Clerverly: 12:05am On Mar 19, 2015
WisdomFlakes:

If you don't know the German equivalent of the BBC then you need some serious exposure bro, upgrade pls.

He didn't even bother to check the link!

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Clerverly: 12:11am On Mar 19, 2015
On Patience Jonathan:
"What she said was totally unacceptable. I no longer regard her as the First Lady of Nigeria,"
he said.

Not only you Prof. Majority of Nigerians now await the incoming First Lady, Aisha Buhari!

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by deji68: 12:11am On Mar 19, 2015
i watched the interview, it is real, but dont know if his claim about the Interim Government is true...DW is a German Station, like CNN and BBC

alfred5:

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by garrix8: 12:12am On Mar 19, 2015
Jonadunce will end up like Gbagbo.

The signs are getting clearer.

Nyesom Wike should get ready to coordinate the feeding of Jonadunce and Sheepopotamus during their incarceration.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by garrix8: 12:13am On Mar 19, 2015
barcanista:

Who and who are the ex-Generals? Which Political contestants are they pushing? Is Soyinka out of touch with trend or Old age is telling on him? While I respect his status as a Nobel Icon, I will advice him to critically look at merits and demerits of subject before going public with his position. His position is flawed.

As for the reporting of PEJ to ICC, I understand that Soyinka never liked PEJ because he was/is sympathetic to Amaechi, however, reporting Dame to ICC when nobody has been reportedly attacked or stoned as a result of her "miscalculated statement" will amount to nullity. What about the various threats from Buhari team notably from their chieftains and spokesman? what about the stoning of President Jonathan that amounts to treason? He said nothing!!!

I am not on this thread to bandy word with any bitter and aggressive supporter of a particular party.

Sai GEJ>>>>2019

Senseless as usual...

cheesy

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by WisdomFlakes: 12:14am On Mar 19, 2015
garrix8:
Jonadunce will end up like Gbagbo.

The signs are getting clearer.

Nyesom Wike should get ready to coordinate the feeding of Jonadunce and Sheepopotamus during their incarceration.

Ah! Please noooooooo! Please don't mention Patience and prison in the same sentence, before she freaks out.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Controlled(f): 12:15am On Mar 19, 2015
We have had enough people of influence come out to voice the fact that the kite of interim government being flown is not without wind. Professor Soyinka is not a man known to speak frivolously, only the deep can call to the deep.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Boss13: 12:20am On Mar 19, 2015
God what is happening? This is just a contest and a do or die. If you lose, accept

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Clerverly: 12:22am On Mar 19, 2015
Controlled:
We have had enough people of influence come out to voice the fact that the kite of interim government being flown is not without wind. Professor Soyinka is not a man known to speak frivolously, only the deep can call to the deep.

They must have sold, albeit unsuccessfully the idea of Interim government to him, if not for anything to gauge his position towards the wicked option! Jonathan is so evil, selfish, clueless and heartless!

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Controlled(f): 12:24am On Mar 19, 2015
Clerverly:

They must have sold, albeit unsuccessfully the idea of Interim government to him, if not for anything to gauge his position towards the wicked option! Jonathan is so evil, selfish, clueless and heartless!

without a doubt.....n his end will be disastrous...mark my words.... grin grin

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Controlled(f): 12:26am On Mar 19, 2015
but we r all guilty....we bought d no shoe story n voted him in....now we r his captives shocked....for d time being tongue...not long to go now... cool

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by shaqhead: 12:28am On Mar 19, 2015
alfred5:

Can yuou please give us Yutube section of this interview?

Today is the 19th day of Mar, 2015 and as at 00:28hours u ddnt know what DW means and unfortunately u seem nt to kno how to find ur way around GOOGLE dt is ur friend to find wat d acronym DW means.

But before I tell u, its imperative u kno dt such carelessness on ur part wont help you because "the meaning of DW" is a question in ur next interview!

Nw u c y u keep goin for interviews?

Anyway DW 〓Deutsche Welle
It is Germany's equivalent of the BBC or CNN

Was som1 "sharing" shame around?

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by shaqhead: 12:34am On Mar 19, 2015
barcanista:

Sai GEJ>>>>2019
Hehehehe

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by slimfit1(m): 12:45am On Mar 19, 2015
Boss13:
God what is happening? This is just a contest and a do or die. If you lose, accept
If it's a free and fare election and it must be 100% free.
Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by CecyAdrian(f): 12:49am On Mar 19, 2015
Hmmmm,na so joke dey take turn serious oooo, and to say some people still believe these is mere talk and all lies baffles me.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by omenka(m): 12:51am On Mar 19, 2015
WisdomFlakes:

Most of those guys only got exposed to the outside world through Nairaland. Had there not been this forum, the would have long received badges and medals of honour for ignorance and cluelesness from their village chiefs.

The extent of Jonathan's sins against this country makes it VERY difficult for him to hand over power to a candidate from another party. I see his hands tainted with innocent bloods in the NE and most other opposition strongholds, piracy and militancy, and indeed executive theft. I get this feeling Nigerians would find him and lynch him and his wife, including folks like NOI, Alison, Clerk et al when the books are opened and their content revealed to the general public.

Just too bad what this country has gone throung under this hediously corrupt and incompetent administration.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by CecyAdrian(f): 12:55am On Mar 19, 2015
Controlled:
but we r all guilty....we bought d no shoe story n voted him in....now we r his captives shocked....for d time being tongue...not long to go now... cool
We have bought him enough shoes to last his life time and extend to his generations to come.
If he is really a wise man,he should have refused to contest or resigned honorably. We Nigerians massively voted for him in 2011,nobody noticed Buhari and These same Buhari ran with him in 2011.he should be asking himself what went wrong. how come the people that voted him in are against him now and are all supporting the person they never noticed in 2011

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Controlled(f): 1:06am On Mar 19, 2015
CecyAdrian:

We have bought him enough shoes to last his life time and extend to his generations to come.
If he is really a wise man,he should have refused to contest or resigned honorably. We Nigerians massively voted for him in 2011,nobody noticed Buhari and These same Buhari ran with him in 2011.he should be asking himself what went wrong. how come the people that voted him in are against him now and are all supporting the person they never noticed in 2011

d man is either...clueless.... grin grin ..or an invisible brilliant strategist..NOT... grin
Re: Nigerian Military Plans To Establish Interim Government- Prof. Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 1:16am On Mar 19, 2015
There is no chance of ING in the country. FACT.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Darius Ishaku: FG Plotting To Stop Me, Six Others From Seeking Re-election / Some Men Insist On Making Videos Of A Soldier at a check point (Video/Pic) / Nigeria’s Leader May Be The Least Corrupt In Africa- Washington Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.