Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde (1062 Views)

Why Ndi Igbo And Niger Deltans Should Boycott Feb Mega Protest / Buhari, Not Jonathan, Responsible For Refineries Resuming Production / I Unilaterally Called The War On Boko Haram, Not Jonathan, Chad’s Idriss Deby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by Gbawe: 5:30am On Mar 19, 2015
http://saharareporters.com/2015/03/18/niger-deltans-should-vote-buhari-not-jonathan-sabella-ogbobode-abidde

Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde

BY SABELLA OGBOBODE ABIDDE MAR 18, 2015

If you belong to any of the ethnic nationalities in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria, it is in your best interest and the interest of those you love and cherish to vote for General Muhammadu Buhari. There are no compelling reasons to vote for Jonathan, but for Buhari. Sure, Jonathan is the “son of the soil;” but really, you ought not to be thinking in that direction. Don’t think small. Don’t be provincial. And don’t be trivial with your electoral decisions.

Let’s start with three simple questions: (1) in what ways has your life and the lives of your relatives and friends and neighbors improved since Jonathan became the acting and later substantive president; (2) what are his concrete and meaningful accomplishments in terms of political and economic growth and development; and (3) if he has not positively impacted your life the last six years, what makes you think he would after you entrust him with another four years? Believe me: there is nothing to be gained pouring water in a basket.

After all these years, what has Goodluck Jonathan done for the region and its people? What has he done for the poor, the needy and the underclass? GMB is the better man for the hope and aspiration of the everyday people of the region.
There is every reason to believe that within the framework of the law, he will solve many of the age-old problems and challenges of the region (which include environmental degradation, lack of commensurate federal presence, creation of states, and socially responsible behavior on the part of the oil companies).

What I am driving at is simple: don’t entrust four more years to a man who has been a political failure the previous six year? To do so is to waste ten years of your precious life. Don’t you think so? Well then, do the right thing on March 28, 2015: Vote Buhari!

I am a Nigerian with very deep roots in the Niger Delta. Essentially, therefore, we have a shared lineage, shared historical experiences, and shared humanity. [b]What is wrong is wrong and Jonathan, a fellow Niger Deltan, have been wrong for the region and wrong for our country. A man who was not able to expand our past and our present in terms of opportunity and possibilities should not be entrusted with our future.

Don’t let anyone deceive you. GMB is not what his critics and idle minds tell you he is. But instead, this is a very honest man, a purposeful leader. Public records indicate has never stolen or mismanaged a naira that belonged to the people. He is responsible and responsive. If you work for him or work with him, you will be held accountable for your egregious actions and inactions. Can you say this about Jonathan? Can you vouch for the “son of the soil”? Can you?

No one is happy at what the “son of the soil” has done and allowed others to do to our collective wealth. No one is happy at what his wife has done and continues to do. On both sides, there has been no restraint, no accountability, and certainly no scruples. They’ve been sharing and chopping, chopping and sharing. That’s abuse of power. Imagine what four more year of waste, larceny and mismanagement would do to our economy, culture and society and to our governing institutions.
[/b]
We come from the Niger Delta. But we are more than that. We are Nigerians. This country is ours; and so we cannot afford to let it collapse. We must vote wisely to save it.

President Jonathan did not create many of the problems we now face. But under his watch, things have worsened. In addition, newer problems have germinated. Through it all, he has not exhibited strong or purposeful leadership, or given the nation hope. We cannot continue this way. To accord him four more years is to guarantee the complete collapse of our fatherland.

And since President Jonathan has shown that he is incapable of making a difference, the time has come for us to pit our tent with a different man – a man and a leader capable of resetting our collective clock. He is able to bring a decent measure of decency, sanity, security and hope to a political and economic system gone awry. We are a hopeful and joyful and civic-minded people, we Niger Deltans. Let’s give GMB -- a hopeful and joyful and civic-minded leader -- the chance to right many of the wrongs of the last 30-plus years.

I have said this before, I will say it again. And again: Age is not and should not be a factor in this election. Second, GMB’s reasoning and decision-making faculties are in order, and in fact, his mind is sharper than many half his age. Third, his ideas and worldview are still relevant; and is a man who is open to contrary opinions. This is a man with a steady voice, steady hands and legs and with an intellect to match. His reputation, in and outside of the country, is an added benefit. Buhari will not use his office to enrich himself or his family. He will declare his assets. Sadly, we cannot say this of Jonathan -- the “son of the soil.” Oh, when was the last time he declared his assets?

In terms of violence, please talk to your sons. Talk to your daughters. Talk to your neighbors. Talk to those you love not to take up arms against the people or against the Buhari administration (should Jonathan lose the election). Elections are mostly about numbers. If a majority of the Nigerian electorates vote for GMB, he wins and becomes the next president. He becomes the “will of the people.” Let the new man have his turn and have his say. Do not encourage or condone violence!

Don’t disappoint yourself, don’t disappoint future generations. Help make March 28, 2015 the V-Day -- a day of victory for all Nigerians. In massive and overwhelming numbers, vote for CHANGE. Sure, Jonathan is the “son of the soil,” but the fact is that incompetence is incompetence no matter who is at the helm of affairs. Similarly, a thief is a thief whether or not he is your brother, or a complete stranger. The pain and anguish you suffer will not be less. You don’t tolerate indignity simply because the perpetrator is your relative. What is bad is bad.

Respect and love yourselves. Respect and love our country. You do so by voting for a leader who has your interest and the interest of our country at heart.

Again, I ask you: how does a man who has been a political and economic failure tell you he will do better if you entrust him with another four years. Haba, we are Niger Deltans. We are smarter than that! Jonathan can’t be any better than what he has been the last couple of years. A mediocre! He does not have the capacity to be better. Move on. Vote Buhari.

Sabella Abidde lives in Alabama. He can be reached at: Sabidde@yahoo.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by Nobody: 5:38am On Mar 19, 2015
In summary, voting Jonathan for another four years is like pouring the little water you have left into a basket. Nigerians please be wise. Vote Buhari as Nigeria's next president.

5 Likes

Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by temitemi1(m): 5:41am On Mar 19, 2015
His opinion though... GEJ we know, GEJ we trust. GEJ till 2019!!!

1 Like

Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by Nobody: 5:56am On Mar 19, 2015
Op, this your post is bunkom, thrash, waste. Inshort you must be very on weed.

Mention 3 things Buhari did for the North?

This is the dumbest post i've ever seen.

Buhari will never be president of Nigeria q.e.d

1 Like

Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by midolian(m): 6:09am On Mar 19, 2015
"Let’s start with three simple questions: (1) in what ways has your life and the lives of your relatives and friends and neighbors improved since Jonathan became the acting and later substantive president; (2) what are his concrete and meaningful accomplishments in terms of political and economic growth and development; and (3) if he has not positively impacted your life the last six years, what makes you think he would after you entrust him with another four years? Believe me:there is nothing to be gained pouring water in a basket."

1 Like

Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by Nobody: 6:11am On Mar 19, 2015
masterpower:

See the you're insulting the Op as if he's the writer of the post

What really eats the brains of you PDP supporters? is the dollars they share to you?

-please no ofe insi-

6 Likes

Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by Gbawe: 6:19am On Mar 19, 2015
Martins301:
In summary, voting Jonathan for another four years is like pouring the little water you have left into a basket. Nigerians please be wise. Vote Buhari as Nigeria's next president.

Indeed. If GEJ only delivered monumental failure over 5 years where he presided over a period Nigeria sold oil at $100.00-$110.00 per barrel then it is only a fool that will think GEJ has anything to offer when he will now have to operate with oil selling at $50.00 per barrel and a highly devalued Naira now worth around 25%-30% less than it was.

2 Likes

Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by okosodo: 6:24am On Mar 19, 2015
Isabella no get sense
Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by Rawani: 6:26am On Mar 19, 2015
Gbawe:
Again, I ask you: how does a man who has been a political and economic failure tell you he will do better if you entrust him with another four years. Haba, we are Niger Deltans. We are smarter than that! Jonathan can’t be any better than what he has been the last couple of years. A mediocre! He does not have the capacity to be better. Move on. Vote Buhari.

This succinctly expresses my concerns for Nigeria and what drives me to seek for change. Even NOI has admitted the times ahead will be quite hard for Nigerians. At a time when crude oil prices are at an all time low (meaning our income has been cut by more than half), at a time when our capital expenditure in the new budget is less than 20%, and the Ministry of Works budget has been cut by 80% (meaning abandoned projects and bank-fleeing contractors), yet this is the time Jonathan picks to engage in a billion dollar rain of bribery and endorsement funds.

If Jonathan lacked the capacity to manage Nigeria during a time of prosperity, how will he do so in a period of lack?

Vote for Change.

1 Like

Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by Nobody: 6:26am On Mar 19, 2015
Gbawe:

Indeed. If GEJ only delivered monumental failure over 5 years where he presided over a period Nigeria sold oil at $100.00-$110.00 per barrel then it is only a fool that will think GEJ has anything to offer when he will now have to operate with oil selling at $50.00 per barrel and a highly devalued Naira now worth around 25%-30% less than it was.

Even you? I thought you post intelligently with facts, not calling people fools for their own views. Well, Buhari claimed he didn't do much because of the drop in oil price in 1985, what will be different now?
Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by Nobody: 6:29am On Mar 19, 2015
Gbawe:

His retrogressive leadership style did not start from when he became president of Nigeria. He exhibited same when he governed Bayelsa state.
Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by Gbawe: 6:35am On Mar 19, 2015
Martins301:

His retrogressive leadership style did not start from when he became president of Nigeria. He exhibited same when he governed Bayelsa state.

i know. The sad truth some Nigerians cannot confront, perhaps because they are too sentimental or ethnocentric to do so, is that many examples and positions has shown that GEJ is not even a minimally effective political leader let alone a good one to be trusted with the Presidency of the biggest black nation on earth. GEJ failed to impress as Governor and he did even much worse as President of Nigeria.

GEJ has been President of Nigeria for 5 years. He has been indulged long enough and we have all seen that he has absolutely nothing to offer. It is time Nigerians put what is in the best interest of 170 million people above the benefit of one man and his army of callous and worthlessly corrupt cronies.
Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by appini: 6:46am On Mar 19, 2015
masterpower:

Don't mind that fat empty Sabella.

Let him write a full epistle, nothing for him

Since he's not loyal, he will suffer and remain there.
Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by Nobody: 6:51am On Mar 19, 2015
Gbawe:

i know. The sad truth some Nigerians cannot confront, perhaps because they are too sentimental or ethnocentric to do so, is that many examples and positions has shown that GEJ is not even a minimally effective political leader let alone a good one to be trusted with the Presidency of the biggest black nation on earth. GEJ failed to impress as Governor and he did even much worse as President of Nigeria.

GEJ has been President of Nigeria for 5 years. He has been indulged long enough and we have all seen that he has absolutely nothing to offer. It is time Nigerians put what is in the best interest of 170 million people above the benefit of one man and his army of callous and worthlessly corrupt cronies.

I read a piece one time where the author described Jonathan, while he was governor of Bayelsa, as a man who is selfish, self centered and highly insecure. He said that Jonathan is ruthlessly cunning and can do anything to remain or retain power. He said Jonathan only surrounds himself with people who can sing his praise, who can do his bidding and are very loyal to him and also added that he, Jonathan, can frustrate those who disagree with him. Back then, I waved it off.

Looking at what's happening now, I see that guy wasn't far from the truth. See the bad eggs Jonathan surrounds himself with: FFK, Obanikoro, Alamiesegha, Bode George, Fayose. See how he frustrated Obj and Atiku out of PDP.

This man is a democratically elected modern day dictator.
Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by Gbawe: 7:03am On Mar 19, 2015
Martins301:

I read a piece one time where the author described Jonathan, while he was governor of Bayelsa, as a man who is selfish, self centered and highly insecure. He said that Jonathan is ruthlessly cunning and can do anything to remain or retain power. He said Jonathan only surrounds himself with people who can sing his praise, who can do his bidding and are very loyal to him and also added that he, Jonathan, can frustrate those who disagree with him. Back then, I waved it off.

Looking at what's happening now, I see that guy wasn't far from the truth. See the bad eggs Jonathan surrounds himself with: FFK, Obanikoro, Alamiesegha, Bode George, Fayose. See how he frustrated Obj and Atiku out of PDP.

This man is a democratically elected modern day dictator.

Yes. He is nothing but a glorified conman who fooled many Nigerians with his "boy with no shoes" ruse. Now Nigerians can see he is nothing but a callous, avaricious, unprincipled and highly inept accident posing as a leader.
Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by size40: 7:28am On Mar 19, 2015
yes oooo! I have decided long ago to vote Buhari. That GEJ is from my zone makes no sense since he GEJ cannot perform. so its better I go for an Igboman, Hausa, Yoruba, calabar, ikwerre etc who will perform than to have GEJ as a President again.
Re: Niger Deltans Should Vote Buhari, Not Jonathan By Sabella Ogbobode Abidde by viczing(m): 7:33am On Mar 19, 2015
temitemi1:
His opinion though... GEJ we know, GEJ we trust. GEJ till 2019!!!

Different strokes for different folk he can spew rubbish from today till 2mao we made up

(1) (Reply)

Mama Peace Hits Hard On Governor Amaechi / Vote GEJ Or Face Sack; Fayose Warns Civil Servant / News Alert :dss Arrests Three Apc Chieftains In Sokoto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.