Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,389 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:21 AM

10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage (36608 Views)

Customs Officers Pursuing Smugglers Had Accident (Disturbing Photos) / Baggage Abandoned By Arik Air At A New York Airport. Photos / 5 Things Nigerian Men Should Not Wear While Travelling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by Goahead(m): 8:40am On Mar 19, 2015
Informative
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by manitobor(m): 8:43am On Mar 19, 2015
Nice info.
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by dave2meek(m): 8:43am On Mar 19, 2015
Thank you Op
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by Nobody: 8:50am On Mar 19, 2015
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by linusbnn(m): 9:02am On Mar 19, 2015
ZACHIE:
misinformation

Except for Firearms, none of the items you listed up there are in Exclusive Import Prohibition List.
Meaning, you are allowed to bring them in but not in commercial quantities.

A dozen and above quantity is considered commercial (though not an hard and fast rule).

I was almost arrested becos I was holding a pocket knife that I used to cut the tape for sealing my bag....I held it like no man's bizness until I was called by a custom officer seeking they shud lock me up in d guard room because I was also rude at them b4 I seek caution....Be careful bro
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by 9jatatafo(m): 9:13am On Mar 19, 2015
What of gun powder?!
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by dustydee: 9:26am On Mar 19, 2015
I think some of the information you have there is incorrect. For example, you are allowed to carry no more than $10,000 without declaring. Anything more you must declare or you risk forfeiting it. For some of the items you listed, as log as they are not in "commercial" quantity then you are fine except the officers want "something" from you which is illegal.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by ask4bk(m): 9:26am On Mar 19, 2015
This is so sad.

And I wanted to return to Nigeria with my Tiger pet cry
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by Nobody: 9:27am On Mar 19, 2015
11. Palm Oil
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by MightyFortress: 9:45am On Mar 19, 2015
Ok o.
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by ZACHIE: 9:50am On Mar 19, 2015
linusbnn:

I was almost arrested becos I was holding a pocket knife that I used to cut the tape for sealing my bag....I held it like no man's bizness until I was called by a custom officer seeking they shud lock me up in d guard room because I was also rude at them b4 I seek caution....Be careful bro

Airline regulations forbid carrying knives because they are cconsidered as dangerous goods.
If it is put in cargo and is not the menacing type you will pass.
Customs is interested in goods for duty revenue majorly and not witch hunting.
Although I agree security is also part of their job
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by kunleeko(m): 10:02am On Mar 19, 2015
Once, I was made to tear open a can of sardine I was by customs officials, their reason, I had only one quantity with me. The officer, having satisfied his curiosity, offerred to return the already opened can smeared with all the contents, I told him to keep it, though, I felt sightly embarrassed.
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by menix(m): 10:08am On Mar 19, 2015
BIBILISTIC:
Ok. Thanks as I will soon be traveling!

Hope u aint travelling wiv more than 1 bible, cous it wuld b seized
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by Sweetlemon(f): 10:13am On Mar 19, 2015
Some Nlers will just see, copy and paste stuff without finding out themselves.

Most of the things you mentioned are fine when not in commercial quantities, others you need to declare them or have certificates of permission or something.
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by luckyboss(m): 10:16am On Mar 19, 2015
Thank God that i imported my lovely Dog before this issue seems serious.
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by professore(m): 11:01am On Mar 19, 2015
Good to know
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by Billygee2u: 11:36am On Mar 19, 2015
thank you op,for this nice information.
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 19, 2015
noted
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by rabimlomo: 12:46pm On Mar 19, 2015
And red oil. Don't know why they don't allow it though
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by JayJustus(m): 2:01pm On Mar 19, 2015
LIEEEEEE from the pit of Ebola hell...
I carry all these things noone tells me crap...
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by yincx: 2:47pm On Mar 19, 2015
All noted....
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by donodion(m): 6:45pm On Mar 19, 2015
kingphilip:
9. Beer, Stout and Sparkling Wines
Imported beer, stout and sparkling wines should not be in your baggage as the Nigerian customs will seized them.

10. Live Animals
Live Animals such as dogs and cats must be accompanied by rabies and health certificate issued by a certified veterinary. Other types of live or dead animals are prohibited.

It’s very important to check your bags prior to travelling to make sure you are not carrying any prohibited or restricted item. For more information on prohibition and restricted items, visit the Nigeria Custom Service website on https://www.customs.gov.ng/Stakeholders/passengers_concessions.php
Very informative post.Thanks to op and mod.However I've got questions.I know I can't Barr firearm on me to naija without permit.Is the permit in quote foreign issued or Naija issued?

Can I at least package my pepper spray taser and tear gas tubes? Will that be permissible to pass through.I dey carry am waka whenever I dey jozy o grin

Thanks for response.
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by worry359(m): 6:51pm On Mar 19, 2015
donodion:

Very informative post.Thanks to op and mod.However I've got questions.I know I can't Barr firearm on me to naija without permit.Is the permit in quote foreign issued or Naija issued?
Can I at least package my pepper spray taser and tear gas tubes? Will that be permissible to pass through.I dey carry am waka whenever I dey jozy o grin
Thanks for response.

You will probably then be better armed than Nigerian police or security.
They may give you a good kicking / slap just for this! grin shocked grin shocked

To import any weapons you probably need a police permit
(or be brother of someone rich!)

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by donodion(m): 6:55pm On Mar 19, 2015
worry359:

You will probably then be better armed than Nigerian police or security.
They may give you a good kicking / slap just for this! grin shocked grin shocked

To import any weapons you probably need a police permit
(or be brother of someone rich!)

My person, are sure about this? Even pepper spray? Haba!!!!
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by worry359(m): 7:38pm On Mar 19, 2015
donodion:

My person, are sure about this? Even pepper spray? Haba!!!!

No I am not a lawyer so I am not sure.
But I would not want those customs or security guys causing trouble
They can just make up there own rules.
Better to be safe than beaten up sorry grin

Prehaps someone can quote Nigerian law.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by linusbnn(m): 7:59pm On Mar 19, 2015
ZACHIE:

Airline regulations forbid carrying knives because they are cconsidered as dangerous goods.
If it is put in cargo and is not the menacing type you will pass.
Customs is interested in goods for duty revenue majorly and not witch hunting.
Although I agree security is also part of their job

Knife and sharp object, any diff?
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by SenatorJames(m): 8:05pm On Mar 20, 2015
Sometimes this is not the reason why you have encounter with them, just that they want to collect rogger. If you like carry only Bible or Quran, they will still look up to you for something if they see you as a rich person.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by tunnath: 9:40pm On Mar 20, 2015
Why u go carry animal go airport, when the animal no get visa na.... You should apply visa for animal na
Re: 10 Things Nigerian Customs Must Not Find In Your Baggage by Perewenkle1: 6:59am On Apr 17, 2022
I know this is old, is taser gun prohibited as checked item when you arrive Nigeria?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Passenger Battles Turkish Airline Over Missing Luggage (Photos) / The Benin-Ore Road: Before & After Photos / Nigeria Railway Takes Delivery Of Five 68-Seater Coaches: Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.