Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. (21817 Views)

Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives? / 20 Men Marry 2nd Wives In Zuntu, Kaduna State (Photos) / "Men Should Marry More Than One Wife!" - Kenyan MP's Solution to Prostitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by Nobody: 12:08pm On Mar 20, 2015
pickabeau1:

Are u sure she knows what an agnostic means

Meanwhile can you show from the Bible where it is against polygamy

What is the correlation between Christianity and feminism?

Hypocrisy is not a Christian thing... it is a human thing

There's no relation between Feminism and Christianity. Just pointing out hypocrisy!

1 Corinthians 7:2

Neverthless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband.

4 Likes

Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by pickabeau1: 12:24pm On Mar 20, 2015
FrancisTony:

There's no relation between Feminism and Christianity. Just pointing out hypocrisy!

Neverthless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband.

Good

That verse does not condemn polygamy as sin

Paul preference was for his acolytes to be celibate however knowing the impracticality of this

He accepts that marriage should go thru

The only time he recommends monogamy for those who desired to be leaders and this was in 1 Tim 3.1 -2

This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by Nobody: 12:36pm On Mar 20, 2015
pickabeau1:

Good

That verse does not condemn polygamy as sin

Paul preference was for his acolytes to be celibate however knowing the impracticality of this

He accepts that marriage should go thru

The only time he recommends monogamy for those who desired to be leaders and this was in 1 Tim 3.1 -2

This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Matthew19 : 4

And He answered and said to them,"Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning made them male and female."

5. And said, For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall be become one flesh'?.

6 "So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no man put assunder.

Pickabeau1, did you read that two, three or four will become one?

Mind you, taking 2nd wife defies the verse 5 which says what God has put together, no man should put an assunder. grin

By the way, going by your logic, it's safe to say that unsubmissiveness isn't a sin since God didn't say it's a Must or the offender will be damned.

2 Likes

Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by pickabeau1: 12:52pm On Mar 20, 2015
FrancisTony:

Matthew19 : 4

And He answered and said to them,"Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning made them male and female."

5. And said, For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall be become one flesh'?.

6 "So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no man put assunder.

Pickabeau1, did you read that two, three or four will become one?

Mind you, taking 2nd wife defies the verse 5 which says what God has put together, no man should put an assunder. grin

By the way, going by your logic, it's safe to say that unsubmissiveness isn't a sin since God didn't say it's a Must or the offender will be damned.

Your point is moot
I said show me where the bible called it a sin
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by Nobody: 12:57pm On Mar 20, 2015
pickabeau1:

Your point is moot
I said show me where the bible called it a sin
After you've produced where bible called Feminism Sin too. tongue

3 Likes

Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by pickabeau1: 1:00pm On Mar 20, 2015
FrancisTony:

After you've produced where bible called Feminism Sin too. tongue

Simple

The Bible said women should submit

Feminism is counter to that

Next
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by Nobody: 1:03pm On Mar 20, 2015
pickabeau1:

Simple

Next
Simple

Jesus said one man to a woman for them to become one.

Polygamy is a counter to that.

Next! grin

3 Likes

Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by TV01(m): 1:17pm On Mar 20, 2015
pickabeau1:

Simple

Next
Pick, in as much as FrancisTony is often beset by "GaayBrain", he is correct on this one. A thorough reading of the whole bible will clearly show that monogamous opposite sex unions are what Christianity views as normative and godly marriage.

Polygamy in the scriptural narrative is always beset with problems - from incest, to violence, to bloodshed to physical and spiritual unfaithfulness. It may not have been specifically named as sin and yes, it was at one point winked at, but it is not Christian.

In the early church Elders were to be an example - hence Pauls insistence on them being monogamous. Further, the criteria for Christian men and godly living does not vary, or accord to clerical vs lay classes of worshippers - which is not actually a christian principle regardless of the MOG syndrome that's so prevelent. And ultimately, all Christian men should grow to that level.

FrancisTony:

Simple
Jesus said one man to a woman for them to become one.
Polygamy is a counter to that.
Next! grin
FrancisTiny, you aren't doing a bad job here today. You've earned yourself some goodwill. I had a few e-slaps in storage for you angry
Think long and hard, pray even, about becoming a disciple of Christ - you'd make a good one.

TV
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by Nobody: 1:23pm On Mar 20, 2015
FrancisTony:

Gbam!! Hypocritical christians will act as if they are blind to that scripture. I dnt know why people find this portion very hard to understand. Maybe they need God to personally speak to them before they get it. But trust me, if God had come down to earth to talk with them they wouldnt listen. They are just like the israelites. Hypocrisy makes people stubborn towards the plain truth!!

LET EACH MAN HAVE HIS OWN WIFE!!
LET EACH WOMAN HAVE HER OWN HUSBAND!!!

Simple english!!!

2 Likes

Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by Nobody: 1:26pm On Mar 20, 2015
TV01:

Pick, in as much as FrancisTony is often beset by "GaayBrain", he is correct on this one. A thorough reading of the whole bible will clearly show that monogamous opposite sex unions are what Christianity views as normative and godly marriage.

Polygamy in the scriptural narrative is always beset with problems - from incest, to violence, to bloodshed to physical and spiritual unfaithfulness. It may not have been specifically named as sin and yes, it was at one point winked at, but it is not Christian.

In the early church Elders were to be an example - hence Pauls insistence on them being monogamous. Further, the criteria for Christian men and godly living does not vary, or accord to clerical vs lay classes of worshippers - which is not actually a christian principle regardless of the MOG syndrome that's so prevelent. And ultimately, all Christian men should grow to that level.

FrancisTiny, you aren't doing a bad job here today. You've earned yourself some goodwill. I had a few e-slaps in storage for you angry
Think long and hard, pray even, about becoming a disciple of Christ - you'd make a good one.

TV
See, eh. I'm a Christian but still reason logically. grin

I'll never be beclouded by any religious book but I still believe in Jesus.
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by pickabeau1: 1:28pm On Mar 20, 2015
Tv01

that you r both right is not in doubt however I don't think the converse is a sin which was my point

Implying something to be a sjn is my point
This is a recommendation

Not a sin
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by TV01(m): 1:34pm On Mar 20, 2015
FrancisTony:

See, eh. I'm a Christian but still reason logically. grin

I'll never be beclouded by any religious book but I still believe in Jesus.
...and who said that being a Christian means abandoning God given faculties of reason

Believing is one thing, following is another.

Go in peace.

TV
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by TV01(m): 1:37pm On Mar 20, 2015
pickabeau1:
Tv01

that you r both right is not in doubt however I don't think the converse is a sin which was my point

Implying something to be a sjn is my point
This is a recommendation

Not a sin
However you look at it, whatever your perspective, a Christian cannot pursue a polygamous lifestyle - that would be sinful - if you come to Christianity a polygamist, that's another matter.

You cannot read polygamy as permissable into the Christian scriptures.

TV
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by pickabeau1: 1:42pm On Mar 20, 2015
ok

no problem

TV01:

However you look at it, whatever your perspective, a Christian cannot pursue a polygamous lifestyle - that would be sinful - if you come to Christianity a polygamist, that's another matter.

You cannot read polygamy as permissable into the Christian scriptures.

TV
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by Misogynist2014(m): 2:20pm On Mar 20, 2015
Misogynist2014:
In fact, it was today I learnt through eavesdropping on phone call that my parents' has a side chick. grin
My parents' carpenter
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by SAMBARRY: 3:38pm On Mar 20, 2015
FrancisTony:

I'm not best of a Christian, sef. I'm a deist/agnostic.

I just love exposing hypocrisy of Christian men. They filter the one that suits them.

Polygamy suits them but bible is against it and they won't hestitate to say Feminism is evil.

They are bunch of hypocrites.
Thank you jare. Keep exposing it. Awon oni rada rada
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by taiocol: 10:57pm On Mar 20, 2015
FrancisTony:

Understand bible before opening your putrid hole.
Judiaism is different from Christianity.

2 corinth 5:17 said that old things have passed away. We are therefore a new creation in Christ.

Those men practised Judaism not Christianity.
Of cause I understand the difference.
Jesus Christ is the all-important distinction between Christianity and Judaism. The Person and work of Jesus Christ is the one primary issue that Christianity and Judaism cannot agree upon. In Matthew 15:24 , Jesus declared, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.” The religious leaders of Israel in Jesus' time asked Him, “Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?” Jesus replied, 'I am,' ... And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven" (Mark 14:61-62 ). But they didn’t believe His words or accept Him as the Messiah. That's the only difference, so how do you relate that to my post. Stop drifting away cause Nowhere in the New Testament is there any explicit commandment that marriage should be monogamous or any explicit commandment forbidding polygamy.
grin
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by Sunymoore(m): 12:13pm On Mar 22, 2015
babygirlfl:

Ignorance
Yaww b!tch, no RoosterDrinker call that shit...
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by babygirlfl: 5:37pm On Mar 22, 2015
Sunymoore:

Yaww b!tch, no RoosterDrinker call that shit...

Lol.I won't return your insults with insult. You must think calling me such names would hurt me. You can add some more names if you like. I don't take nairaland that seriously and I am very much aware that they are mad people around. The only sad thing is that even educated young people choose to be same or even worse than the illiterate on the street. So go on, carry on with the name calling. If you ever think of a civil discussion then we can have one but until then, enjoy your name calling party.
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by Sunymoore(m): 6:12pm On Mar 22, 2015
babygirlfl:

Lol.I won't return your insults with insult. You must think calling me such names would hurt me. You can add some more names if you like. I don't take nairaland that seriously and I am very much aware that they are mad people around. The only sad thing is that even educated young people choose to be same or even worse than the illiterate on the street. So go on, carry on with the name calling. If you ever think of a civil discussion then we can have one but until then, enjoy your name calling party.
And who the fuckkkk told you I give a two fucksss about how you feel offline or online? For your information, only a mad b¡tch knows the presence of her kind around.. People(Educationally not privileged and educated) can both behave well, but people like you makes them to be rude. Imagine calling me 'ignorant'. I'm very civil, check my previous post, but I honestly don't tolerate bullshit....
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by babygirlfl: 6:35pm On Mar 22, 2015
Sunymoore:

And who the fuckkkk told you I give a two fucksss about how you feel offline or online? For your information, only a mad b¡tch knows the presence of her kind around.. People(Educationally not privileged and educated) can both behave well, but people like you makes them to be rude. Imagine calling me 'ignorant'. I'm very civil, check my previous post, but I honestly don't tolerate bullshit....

I was just going to do the bolded, then saw the picture of the person I was replying and did not go any further. You are better ignored.
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by Sunymoore(m): 7:01pm On Mar 22, 2015
babygirlfl:

I was just going to do the bolded, then saw the picture of the person I was replying and did not go any further. You are better ignored.
That's your own shitty opinion...
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by PRINCESSO2: 4:22pm On Oct 13, 2015
3The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause? 4And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. 7They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? 8He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. 9And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Re: Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 14, 2017
Visit this thread to read interesting submissions on matters arising in polygyny, like: Is it advisable for the first and second wife to live together? ; should a man that is not capable of fulfilling the sexual needs of the first wife take a second wife?
https://www.nairaland.com/4112695/polygyny-should-live-second-wife#61411074

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Couple Celebrate Their Triplets Three Month Birthday / My Wife Has Turned Me Into A Punching Bag – Abuja Man Cries Out / Why The Rate Of Divorce Is High & Why Families Break Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.