Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:32 AM

.. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / .. (1460 Views)

HELP ! I Cant Access Nairaland With My School E-library Computers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

.. by peterpeteru: 8:59am On Mar 19, 2015
smiley
Re: .. by peterpeteru: 10:53am On Mar 19, 2015
admin, pls help move to fp for urgent response.
Re: .. by ps3o(m): 5:24pm On Mar 19, 2015
peterpeteru:
Fellow I.T nairalanders, I'v been obligated to network the ICT facility of the school I just got employment.

The facility has 30 desktop computers and 5 laptops.

My tasks are the following:
1. Network all the nodes to share resources eg, printer
2. All the PCs must be able to browse the internet.
3. Configure a wireless internet connection with network signal spreading across a wide area.

I am a CCNA professional, I know how to cable, connect and configure network devices such as routers, switches, etc.

I need your HELP in the following areas:
1. What network devices would you recommend for such a LAN, for optimal performance.

2. How do I get a LAN modem to serve as ISP. (this is my major source of worry)

3. I will gladly welcome your suggestions/tips on how I can connect them to achieve the task.

Plsss help me, it's really urgent. My job is on the line.

BBM: 75527D1F
WATSAPP: 08030671***

u need the following:
Router;
cables;
PCs.

Almost all home routers on the market come with an Web interface, which is a Web page from which users can view, manage, and monitor the router's settings and features. The only company that doesn't offer a Web interface for its router is Apple.
pls note that a router's WAN (Internet) port is always clearly distinguished from the LAN (Ethernet) ports. Also note the reset button, which brings the router's settings to default value.

When you get a new router, settingup the hardware is very simple.All you need is a computer that has a network port (most computers do) and two network cables (a new router comes with at least one network cable). Follow these steps, regardless of what the router's included setup guide might say:

Connect the router's WAN port to yourInternet source, such as a DSL or cable modem, using the first network cable. All home routers have just one WAN port (sometimes labeled the Internet port); this port is always separate from the other network portsand often is a different color to furtherdifferentiate it.Note: If you do not have Internet access at home, or wantto have an isolated (non Internet-enabled) network, you can skip this step. Later on you can always complete this step when the Internet is available or needed.Connect one of the router's LAN ports (most routers have four LAN ports) to the computer using the second network cable.Plug the router into the power outlet using its power adapter, as you wouldwith most electronics. If the router has an on-off switch, make sure the router is on. Many routers don't have this switch and will turn on as you plug it in.

That's it -- you have just finished the hardware setup.

The next step is to use the Web browser to display the router's Web interface. Basically, you will need two things: the router's URL, which is always its default IP address, and default log-in information. You'll find this information in the router's manual,and sometimes it's printed on the underside of the router, as well.Most, if not all home routers on the market have a default IP address in this format:192.168.x.1, where, depending on the vendor, x tends to be 0, 1, 2, 3, 10, or 11. For example, routers from Trendnet almost always havea default address of 192.168.10.1, while D-Link routers use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.

And the log-in information is also quite predictable. The username (if any) is almost alwaysadminand the password (if any) tends to be one of these:admin,password,default, or1234.Once you have gotten these two pieces of information, just type therouter's IP address in the address bar of a browser on a connected computer, press Enter, and then enter the log-in information, after which you'll be greeted with the Web interface.

You can quickly find out the router's default address by using the ipconfig command on a Windows computer.

Also, from a connected computer, you can always find out what the current IP address is of the local network's router. This is helpful if a router's default IP address has been changed. On a Windows computer do this:

Run the command prompt (you can find it in the Start menu, or inWindows 8just typecmdwhen you'reat the Metro Start menu, then press Enter).At the Command Prompt window, type inipconfigthen press Enter. You will see a lot of things, but the IP address following the Default Gateway is the address of the router.

On a Mac, it's also quite easy to find outthe default IP of the local network's router.

On aMac: Head to System Preferences > Network > select the current connected connection (it's likely Ethernet) > click on Advanced > on the first tab, TCP/IP, the router's IP address is shown next to Router.

A new router's basic settingsThough the design of the Web interface is opened varies from one vendor to another, most of them have granular menus.

1 Like

Re: .. by peterpeteru: 7:45pm On Mar 19, 2015
Thnks a tonne 4 ur timely and brilliant response. It's like u r yet to complt d tutorial. Pls, hw do I get a DSL or CABLE MODEM? Wc wud u recommend? Thnks in anticipation. God bless you more.
Re: .. by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 19, 2015
peterpeteru:
Thnks a tonne 4 ur timely and brilliant response. It's like u r yet to complt d tutorial. Pls, hw do I get a DSL or CABLE MODEM? Wc wud u recommend? Thnks in anticipation. God bless you more.

That depends on your location, which state is the school located and how much are they willing to spend on the internet?
Re: .. by peterpeteru: 4:57am On Mar 20, 2015
simonjo:

That depends on your location, which state is the school located and how much are they willing to spend on the internet?

The school is located in ogun state, ifo local government area. The internet service is needed majorly for occasional training of students, in the library and for admin use. Not heavy use bro.

Networking all host devices to share resources is the most important thing.
The internet is just secondary.
Re: .. by ps3o(m): 5:22am On Mar 20, 2015
peterpeteru:
Check my siggy for call or whatsapp
Re: .. by kamikaze2458(m): 7:35am On Mar 20, 2015
You can whatsapp me for step to step guide. 08065889163. It's no big a deal.
Re: .. by Nobody: 9:36am On Mar 20, 2015
peterpeteru:

The school is located in ogun state, ifo local government area. The internet service is needed majorly for occasional training of students, in the library and for admin use. Not heavy use bro.

Networking all host devices to share resources is the most important thing.
The internet is just secondary.

You can can have a wired or wireless network.

For the wired connection get a roll of cat5 cable, make a straight through connection, and connect each system to the switch

For the wireless connection, get a wireless card for the system and they are connected to the wireless router.

so decide what you are going for and then we move to the next stage.
Re: .. by kamikaze2458(m): 10:51am On Mar 20, 2015
Get a 24port juniper switch, a wireless router preferably d-link, a roll of cat 5e cables, rj 45 connectors, wireless cards for the desktop pc's if ur using wireless a SOHO modem for internet access, then start terminating ur cables in a straight through standard and connect from the swith to each desktop

1 Like

Re: .. by sluvy4tune(m): 11:41am On Mar 20, 2015
Just came here to read comment

My Oga kamikaze

your boy is loyal oh
Re: .. by kamikaze2458(m): 12:41pm On Mar 20, 2015
Sluvy4tune it's been a while how dat way and bizness?
Re: .. by peterpeteru: 3:25pm On Mar 20, 2015
Thnks everyone for your contributions, still needs more help in getting d internet service provider.
Re: .. by Mellorix: 11:25am On Mar 22, 2015
peterpeteru:
Thnks everyone for your contributions, still needs more help in getting d internet service provider.

Anyways i can provide a full network topology for u and guide you on how to achieve this ;

for internet service provider , i will ask : whats your budget ? (have you heard of MTN Hynet? they are really good) -

Message me or leave me a post and ill have happy to guide you through the process

- Anyways this is exactly what we do at kevzon.com You can check us out .
Re: .. by peterpeteru: 2:03pm On Mar 23, 2015
Mellorix:

Anyways i can provide a full network topology for u and guide you on how to achieve this ;

for internet service provider , i will ask : whats your budget ? (have you heard of MTN Hynet? they are really good) -

Message me or leave me a post and ill have happy to guide you through the process

- Anyways this is exactly what we do at kevzon.com You can check us out .

I cudnt send you a message. can you contact me on watsapp or bbm?
Re: .. by peterpeteru: 8:17pm On Mar 24, 2015
Mellorix:

Plss let me av ur contact.
Re: .. by Mellorix: 9:43pm On Mar 24, 2015
peterpeteru:

Plss let me av ur contact.

Leave me your email here and I will contact you asap .
Re: .. by peterpeteru: 6:52pm On Mar 25, 2015
Re: .. by peterpeteru: 4:10pm On Jul 12, 2022
ps3o:

u need the following:
Router;
cables;
PCs.

Hello bro,
Kindly modify your post to remove my phone number from the quoted segment. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Uk Arrival!!! Hp 250 Intel Core I3 4gb Ram 320gb Hard Drive For 45k / Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBY Laptop Spec And Price. / Lol. Check Out These Crazy And Funny Google Search Suggestions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.