Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,135 members, 7,807,444 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:39 PM

Afro-Asian Crowned Miss Japan - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Afro-Asian Crowned Miss Japan (1399 Views)

23 Year Old : Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna II Crowned 20th Obi Of Issele-uku - Pictures / Eze Obidiegwu Onyensoh: I Died, Was Buried For Days Before I Was Crowned King / Eheneden Erediauwa To Be Crowned Oba Of Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Afro-Asian Crowned Miss Japan by feedthenation(m): 5:05pm On Mar 19, 2015
http://blackgirllonghair.com/2015/03/meet-miyamoto-eriana-the-first-afro-asian-crowned-miss-japan/

Miyamoto Eriana is the first Afro Asian to be crowned Miss Japan. The reigning queen will go forth as the first Afro Asian representative of the country in the Miss Universe pageant. Eriana was born to a black American father and a Japanese mother in Nagasaki. Nervous about how this would be received, she even voiced her apprehensiveness on acceptance as a contestant in the pageant:

“I thought ‘I wonder if a hafu like me would be okay’ and had insecurities,”

In case any of you are wondering, “hafu” is the Japanese term for biracial. Although, Eriana made history with her win, there were some very outspoken folks on twitter in Japan who felt she should not represent the country because of her cultural background:

“Because this is Miss Universe Japan, don’t you think hafu are a no-no?”

“It makes me uncomfortable to say she’s representing Japan.”

Some even went so far to proclaim that they desired a “pure blooded Japanese” to represent them.

The Facts: Eriana is a Japanese citizen, born and raised. She briefly studied abroad in the U.S. and has a 5th degree of mastery in Japanese calligraphy. She’s also a licensed motorcyclist. Bonus: She loves Mariah Carey. Who better to represent any country that this talented beauty?

We’re wishing you the best in the Miss Universe pageant, Miyamoto!

1 Like

Re: Afro-Asian Crowned Miss Japan by feedthenation(m): 5:07pm On Mar 19, 2015

1 Like

Re: Afro-Asian Crowned Miss Japan by jantavanta(m): 8:16am On May 14, 2015
Japan was originally populated by Black People and Japanese bear Nigerian names.

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Newly 24-year-old Crowned King Of Delta State, Nduka Ezeagwuna / I'M Desperate, Please Help Me With The Meaning Of This / Awure Owo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.