Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,857 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt (1993 Views)

Recession: Abuja Couples Sell Wedding Rings To Feed.. / Mum Runs Mad Over News Of Death Of Baby She Waited Seven Years To Have / Meet The Nigerian Woman Who Married At 43, Gave Birth At 60 ( Photo ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Itulah(m): 9:22pm On Mar 19, 2015
An Egyptian woman who disguised herself as a man for 43 years in order to make a living for her daughter after the death of her husband was honored Tuesday by the government as the “ideal mother” of Luxor governorate.

The Social Solidarity Directorate of Luxor said it was awarding the “woman breadwinner” award to Sisa Abu Daooh for her years of hard work providing for her daughter and her grandchildren.

The 64-year-old Abu Daooh lost her husband while she was pregnant and after giving birth, she found herself without an income. Her situation was complicated by a local culture opposed to women in the work place, which forced her to dress as a man and work outside the home to support her baby daughter Houda.

She worked making bricks and polishing shoes in the street among other jobs. Eventually, she married off her daughter to a man who later fell ill and couldn’t work. So, being a resourceful woman, Abu Daooh kept up her work as the breadwinner of her family.

She donned a local “jilbab” – a loose, full-length robe with wide sleeves – as well as a white turban, or sometimes a men’s hat known as a “Taqiyah” and black masculine shoes.

“I preferred working in hard labor like lifting bricks and cement bags and cleaning shoes to begging in the streets in order to earn a living for myself and for my daughter and her children,” she said.

“So as to protect myself from men and the harshness of their looks and being targeted by them due to traditions, I decided to be a man … and dressed in their clothes and worked alongside them in other villages where no one knows me. She added that she worked in an array of jobs, from “polishing shoes, to construction to agriculture.”

At the moment, Abu Daooh says she is polishing shoes, which earns her a “decent income.”

Her daughter Houda said: “my mom is the one who still provides for the family. She wakes up every day at 6 a.m. to start polishing shoes at the station in Luxor. I carry the work kits for her as she now advanced in age.”

Abu Daooh gave thanks to those who had helped her along the way.

“Thanks to everyone who has helped me. I hope to see Egypt in a better situation.

http://kokofeed.com/2015/03/19/inspiring-see-why-woman-who-disguised-as-a-man-for-43-years-is-honoured-in-egypt/

3 Likes

Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by BeeBeeOoh(m): 9:24pm On Mar 19, 2015
Tell me something..
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by olu77(m): 9:26pm On Mar 19, 2015
We have our own honourable too: Alamieyeseigha. Our president's role model

3 Likes

Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by greatgod2012(f): 9:29pm On Mar 19, 2015
She deserve the honour/award!
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Nobody: 9:32pm On Mar 19, 2015
what are you ladies waiting for?? thats your age mate out there hustling
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Nobody: 9:35pm On Mar 19, 2015
A real woman.

Not like all these baby women parading Nairaland, calling themselves feminist. And all that shít.

Be a real women. Influence the world around you.

5 Likes

Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by AceOfDiamonds(m): 9:36pm On Mar 19, 2015
She is totally deserving of the award! It takes a lot of courage to do that!
Shout out to the runz girls in the country,i hope u can learn something from her... undecided

2 Likes

Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Evina(f): 9:46pm On Mar 19, 2015
Wow... This is quite sad cry
So does the award ensure that she doesn't have to embark on such strenuous activity in order to fend for her family?

I mean, will the award provide the family the needed steady income?

If not, then Nigerians have NO right to complain about our government!

2 Likes

Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by DuchessLily(f): 9:56pm On Mar 19, 2015
Wow! For 43yrs?

She has become a man be dat, she can never be a woman again
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Nobody: 10:13pm On Mar 19, 2015
Mother's love
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Danielotuya(m): 12:31am On Mar 20, 2015
Much respect to the woman for the resourceful thinking. Just want to add that her appearance and face made it possible.

Imagine if she was endowed like Mercy Johson, how would it be possible

Moral lesson: Every disappointment is a blessing
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 20, 2015
The wickedness of the male dominated world
Why does a woman have to go through this in the 21st century?
That is the sad aspect of this story

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Nobody: 10:57am On Mar 20, 2015
babyosisi:

Gbam!!..500 likes
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Noloss(f): 11:12am On Mar 20, 2015
So inspiring!
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by hahn(m): 11:27am On Mar 20, 2015
babyosisi:

Its quite pathetic.

She's indeed a strong woman.

Meanwhile, why is her daughter not following in her footsteps. Her and her husband are really dumb for living off hand outs of her mother's efforts
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by 2CatWoman: 1:12pm On Mar 20, 2015
^^^^^
The daughter probably has to take care of her disabled husband and children plus act as 'wife' i.e housekeeper, cook for her mum.

1 Like

Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by pretydiva(f): 2:57pm On Mar 20, 2015
Nuffin greater than a mothers luv
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by fr3do(m): 3:50pm On Mar 20, 2015
Wow I'm touched
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by cococandy(f): 4:02pm On Mar 20, 2015
So there are places where women are still not allowed to work.?

The world still has a long place to go

1 Like

Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by cococandy(f): 4:04pm On Mar 20, 2015
babyosisi:

If you go there to talk about women liberation, it is the women over there themselves that will pounce on you.
Abeg make them enjoy their fate.
If they want to do something With their lives, no be person go tell them.

2 Likes

Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Agrika: 5:18pm On Mar 20, 2015
krall:
what are you ladies waiting for?? thats your age mate out there hustling
Agemate? Abi ur mama agemate?
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Agrika: 5:20pm On Mar 20, 2015
SagePerv:
A real woman.

Not like all these baby women parading Nairaland, calling themselves feminist. And all that shít.

It's actually funny,...just noticed it...this story clearly supports the picture pasted by Yacdoctora in one of her thread...and u just confirmed it...see as u call her "real woman"

1 Like

Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Ilekeh(f): 5:21pm On Mar 20, 2015
SagePerv:
A real woman.

Feminist are also changing the world.

Open your eyes and your mind and stop conforming to popular beliefs that feminists are "society's problem".

If not for feminist, your (potential) daughters won't have as much rights as they do (will).

Your understanding and/or definition of "real woman" is arbitrary.

2 Likes

Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by Agrika: 5:24pm On Mar 20, 2015
cococandy:

If you go there to talk about women liberation, it is the women over there themselves that will pounce on you.
Abeg make them enjoy their fate.
If they want to do something With their lives, no be person go tell them.
You dnt hv to go far, come to the north, the average hausa woman sees the man who allows her to work as being "wicked" and "lazy"...yet they are the ones who complain most when he gives them #50 for "kayan miya" (ingredients for soup)
Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by cococandy(f): 5:26pm On Mar 20, 2015
Agrika:

You dnt hv to go far, come to the north, the average hausa woman sees the man who allows her to work as being "wicked" and "lazy"...yet they are the ones who complain most when he gives them #50 for "kayan miya" (ingredients for soup)

Lmao. Ok na. That's why they will accept any rubbish to remain catered for.

1 Like

Re: A Woman Who Disguised As A Man For 43 Years To Feed Family Is Honoured In Egypt by juman(m): 5:46pm On Mar 20, 2015
babyosisi:

Bad governance.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Advisable To Borrow Money To Complete A Wedding Plans / Why Are Some Father's So Wicked? / The Selfless Service I Rendered To A Pregnant Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.