Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,736 members, 7,802,217 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:11 AM

How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. (23376 Views)

7 Myths About Fuel Economy / Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc. / How Reliable Is Honda Babyboy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by diggy4real: 9:46pm On Mar 19, 2015
Am about to buy it, please I need answers from experts in the house.
I want your argument to be based on fuel economy, availability of repairers, availability of spare parts etc.
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by sultaan(m): 10:36pm On Mar 19, 2015
diggy4real:
Am about to buy it, please I need answers from geniuses in the house.
I want your argument to be based on fuel economy, availability of repairers, availability of spare parts etc.

Did he really say that
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by colossus2: 4:32am On Mar 20, 2015
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by diggy4real: 4:58am On Mar 20, 2015
sultaan:

Did he really say that

Am serious, I know it was a grammatical blunder but my urgency surpasses every other thing.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by Marpol: 3:01pm On Mar 20, 2015
diggy4real:

Am serious, I know it was a grammatical blunder but my urgency surpasses every other thing.

He is not talking about your grammar bro.
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by diggy4real: 5:14pm On Mar 20, 2015
Marpol:

He is not talking about your grammar bro.

Then what is he after? Is there no expert in the house to give me answers?
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by nurey(m): 8:31pm On Mar 20, 2015
My broda you don't ask for fuel economy when talking of luxury CUV, if you want fuel economy you can opt for kia picanto, nissan micra or toyota starlet.

The lexus Rx300 shares engine with toyota sienna 1st generation, it uses a 3.0L V6 engine its heavy than a sedan so probably you be doing around 21 city and 24highway. I can't put a fix on how much fuel but let's break it down to 5k weekly with 1hr traffic a day without AC, close to 10-12k weekly with 1hr traffic a day with AC (just a rough estimate)

That car is rugged, you may have to fix some issues on it but the regular ones are brake pad possible shocks and springs (one time fix for OEM parts)

If you are adamant on fuel economy, buy the toyota harrier which comes with a 2.4L I4 engine looks like the lexus but it aint a lexus.

Parts are available and relatively affordable (not cheap like pure water) and any toyota mechanic can fix it.

Above all if you buy a well maintained car you will only spend token on maintenance that's if you use it as specified by the manufacturer, if you buy a cheap unhealthy lexus, then Kazeem is parking to his new house very soon.

17 Likes

Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by 9icetoo(m): 12:44am On Mar 21, 2015
I wonder why someone would buy an suv and yet worry about mpg. I swear that lexus will never see close to 14mpg unless the dude stays in enugu or one of those very quiet towns with little or no traffic. I am yet to come across any suv that does up to 14mpg in lagos or ph. Op if you are worried about fuel economy, go and buy a 1.6 litre four cylinder corolla, kia Rio, Honda civic or city or hyundai accent.
3k fuel will last you for more than a week in any of these vehicles.
You cannot eat your cake and have it.

5 Likes

Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by Issyman(m): 5:52am On Mar 21, 2015
My colleague owns one and I saw 13mpg on d display screen d day I drove with him.
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by kenx1(m): 6:22am On Mar 21, 2015
Please can you tell me more about RX350
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by diggy4real: 6:46am On Mar 21, 2015
nurey:
My broda you don't ask for fuel economy when talking of luxury CUV, if you want fuel economy you can opt for kia picanto, nissan micra or toyota starlet.

The lexus Rx300 shares engine with toyota sienna 1st generation, it uses a 3.0L V6 engine its heavy than a sedan so probably you be doing around 21 city and 24highway. I can't put a fix on how much fuel but let's break it down to 5k weekly with 1hr traffic a day without AC, close to 10-12k weekly with 1hr traffic a day with AC (just a rough estimate)

That car is rugged, you may have to fix some issues on it but the regular ones are brake pad possible shocks and springs (one time fix for OEM parts)

If you are adamant on fuel economy, buy the toyota harrier which comes with a 2.4L I4 engine looks like the lexus but it aint a lexus.

Parts are available and relatively affordable (not cheap like pure water) and any toyota mechanic can fix it.

Above all if you buy a well maintained car you will only spend token on maintenance that's if you use it as specified by the manufacturer, if you buy a cheap unhealthy lexus, then Kazeem is parking to his new house very soon.

Thanks bro, Some SUVs do consume fuel more than others like the Muranos,CRVs, Honda Pilots etc.

And also how do l know a well maintained Nigerian used car without asking the seller or owner?

Toyota Harrier dunno that car well, will make a research.
Buh which wud u advise between a RX300 Lexus 2002 model and a toyota highlander 2004 model, with luxury and fuel economy as a yardstick.
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by diggy4real: 6:52am On Mar 21, 2015
9icetoo:
I wonder why someone would buy an suv and yet worry about mpg. I swear that lexus will never see close to 14mpg unless the dude stays in enugu or one of those very quiet towns with little or no traffic. I am yet to come across any suv that does up to 14mpg in lagos or ph. Op if you are worried about fuel economy, go and buy a 1.6 litre four cylinder corolla, kia Rio, Honda civic or city or hyundai accent.
3k fuel will last you for more than a week in any of these vehicles.
You cannot eat your cake and have it.

Thanks bro, Am so in love with RX 300 Lexus 2002 model, and I have to choose between it and a Highlander 2004 model using fuel economy and luxury as a yardstick.
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by nurey(m): 9:30am On Mar 21, 2015
diggy4real:

Thanks bro, Some SUVs do consume fuel more than others like the Muranos,CRVs, Honda Pilots etc.

And also how do l know a well maintained Nigerian used car without asking the seller or owner?

Toyota Harrier dunno that car well, will make a research.
Buh which wud u advise between a RX300 Lexus 2002 model and a toyota highlander 2004 model, with luxury and fuel economy as a yardstick.

For your first question,
1.looking at the body will tell a lot, a car with the headlamp and tail lights out of position says the driver is a rough ryder or an accidented car (not always sha).
2. Open the bonnet, if the plastic engine cover isn't in place (the one with the engine spec written and maker logo) then the engine has probably been worked on
3. Very important, start the car, the lights that shud be on only is the gear selector light on the dash any other light or symbol means the car get issue don't be conjured into "its normal for that light to be on"
4. Just take an expert or mechanic to check other important things.

For the second question, the lexus is a luxury version of the highlander but as the year you are comparing differ, I would advice you enter the 2 vehicles, one will have something that will whao you than the other. The one that your mind says whaooooo should be your pick.
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by diggy4real: 12:33pm On Mar 21, 2015
nurey:

For your first question,
1.looking at the body will tell a lot, a car with the headlamp and tail lights out of position says the driver is a rough ryder or an accidented car (not always sha).
2. Open the bonnet, if the plastic engine cover isn't in place (the one with the engine spec written and maker logo) then the engine has probably been worked on
3. Very important, start the car, the lights that shud be on only is the gear selector light on the dash any other light or symbol means the car get issue don't be conjured into "its normal for that light to be on"
4. Just take an expert or mechanic to check other important things.

For the second question, the lexus is a luxury version of the highlander but as the year you are comparing differ, I would advice you enter the 2 vehicles, one will have something that will whao you than the other. The one that your mind says whaooooo should be your pick.

Thanks bro, I think the Lexus RX 300 just won. Plus what model of dis Lexus RX 300 shud I go for?
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by 9icetoo(m): 12:39pm On Mar 21, 2015
Issyman:
My colleague owns one and I saw 13mpg on d display screen d day I drove with him.
Still below 14mpg. Where do you guys stay? Lagos? Cos you would have drive a relatively traffic free route to get such a mileage in Lagos.
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by nurey(m): 1:53pm On Mar 21, 2015
diggy4real:

Thanks bro, I think the Lexus RX 300 just won. Plus what model of dis Lexus RX 300 shud I go for?

You can buy from 2000 to 2002 model which had some minor features attached, but on a serious note, fuel economy is measured by a lot of factors, I normally commute between ikoyi and lagos island which aren't far apart. If you are in lagos and you work on the island and live on mainland guy don't expect cheap fuel use, you could be burning 3 to 4k fuel everyday and your full tank is close to 7 to 8k.

If you leave in traffic prone areas, ketu, ikorodu, apapa etc, better buy a 4 cylinder engine but if u have money for fuel then the Rx300 is a swagger chick magnet grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by diggy4real: 2:49pm On Mar 21, 2015
nurey:

You can buy from 2000 to 2002 model which had some minor features attached, but on a serious note, fuel economy is measured by a lot of factors, I normally commute between ikoyi and lagos island which aren't far apart. If you are in lagos and you work on the island and live on mainland guy don't expect cheap fuel use, you could be burning 3 to 4k fuel everyday and your full tank is close to 7 to 8k.

If you leave in traffic prone areas, ketu, ikorodu, apapa etc, better buy a 4 cylinder engine but if u have money for fuel then the Rx300 is a swagger chick magnet grin

U said "start the car" not turn on the ignition o. Cool cos they are two different things.
Thanks anyway, going for a 2002 model
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by Stancity(m): 5:30pm On Mar 21, 2015
nurey:

Above all if you buy a well maintained car you will only spend token on maintenance that's if you use it as specified by the manufacturer, if you buy a cheap unhealthy lexus, then Kazeem is parking to his new house very soon
Lol, that was funny man! grin grin
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by nurey(m): 5:51pm On Mar 21, 2015
diggy4real:

U said "start the car" not turn on the ignition o. Cool cos they are two different things.
Thanks anyway, going for a 2002 model

"Start the car" Naija english
"Turn on ignition" queen's english

Turn the ignition to start, if you leave the ignition at ON or AC, some warning lights will remain on the dash but at start, they will come on and suppose to switch off meaning all is well.
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by diggy4real: 7:03pm On Mar 21, 2015
nurey:

"Start the car" Naija english
"Turn on ignition" queen's english

Turn the ignition to start, if you leave the ignition at ON or AC, some warning lights will remain on the dash but at start, they will come on and suppose to switch off meaning all is well.

Thanks, I think this will be very helpful.
Will love to call u up incase I forget any of these thats if u will be available to pick your call and help.
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by nurey(m): 7:40pm On Mar 21, 2015
diggy4real:

Thanks, I think this will be very helpful.
Will love to call u up incase I forget any of this thats if u will be available to pick your call and help.

If you call, I will pick if I am free and throw in some advice if necessary. But you have to test drive if necessary bargain to buy 2k fuel, test drive in a place where the car will atleast reach the last gear around 100 to 120km/h, go through so many corners and slightly rough roads do not use AC, let your windows be down and listen well for uneven sounds to ascertain the condition of the shocks and springs, drive close to 20kms so if any error codes had been cleared to fool you, it will eventually come on before you pay for the ride.

Leave the car idling for 5-10mins, check under the car to see that no fluid or oil leakage, make sure the temp gauge stays at the optimum position it shouldn't be above and it shouldn't be below.

Once you start the car, the radiator fan must not start blowing immediately except if the AC is on, it shud take sometime b4 it starts working.

The water in the radiator must be coloured and clean, if its only ordinary water, then run away from the deal.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by Nobody: 9:05pm On Mar 21, 2015
nurey:

If you call, I will pick if I am free and throw in some advice if necessary. But you have to test drive if necessary bargain to buy 2k fuel, test drive in a place where the car will atleast reach the last gear around 100 to 120km/h, go through so many corners and slightly rough roads do not use AC, let your windows be down and listen well for uneven sounds to ascertain the condition of the shocks and springs, drive close to 20kms so if any error codes had been cleared to fool you, it will eventually come on before you pay for the ride.

Leave the car idling for 5-10mins, check under the car to see that no fluid or oil leakage, make sure the temp gauge stays at the optimum position it shouldn't be above and it shouldn't be below.

Once you start the car, the radiator fan must not start blowing immediately except if the AC is on, it shud take sometime b4 it starts working.

The water in the radiator must be coloured and clean, if its only ordinary water, then run away from the deal.

Epic!

You should join us in club-lexus already. For you've been granted a part membership, if you want a full membership, which I feel you ought to have, you need to *********** cool
Op, same applies to you.
Welcome to club lexus in advance.
We at Lexus, we are always in pursuit of perfection. cool

2 Likes

Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by nurey(m): 10:07pm On Mar 21, 2015
lomomike:

Epic!

You should join us in club-lexus already. For you've been granted a part membership, if you want a full membership, which I feel you ought to have, you need to *********** cool
Op, same applies to you.
Welcome to club lexus in advance.
We at Lexus, we are always in pursuit of perfection. cool

Thank you Mr mike, I will accept the extended invitation, but does it mean I get to take home your baby (Rx330) cool
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 21, 2015
nurey:

Thank you Mr mike, I will accept the extended invitation, but does it mean I get to take home your baby (Rx330) cool

Lol, oga, go buy another one grin
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by chucky234(m): 2:01pm On Mar 26, 2015
lomomike:

Lol, oga, go buy another one grin
No dey fall my hand joor, you no fit dash Nurey dat RX330 .
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by DGD1(m): 7:06pm On Mar 26, 2015
chucky234:
No dey fall my hand joor, you no fit dash Nurey dat RX330 .

I wonder o
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by omoluabi2004: 2:56pm On Mar 24, 2019
Dear All,
I really enjoyed the topic discussed regards to Lexus rx300 which am planning to get (2000 or 2002 model).

I heard the expert said for Naija used the water in the radiator must be coloured/cleared and not ordinary water is he saying there must be radiator coolant mixed with water in the cooling chamber?

The coolant comes in green and reddish colour,which is better?

Really I have gotten a response from a dealer through this platform for offer at Ikeja car lot for visitation.
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by bigsmoke2(m): 4:37pm On Mar 24, 2019
Buy highlander or rav4 full option version they come with 4 cylinder engine and will give you better mileage on gas when compared to the Lexus. The Lexus is Toyotas luxury line only comes in v6
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by nurey(m): 6:08pm On Mar 24, 2019
omoluabi2004:
Dear All,
I really enjoyed the topic discussed regards to Lexus rx300 which am planning to get (2000 or 2002 model).

I heard the expert said for Naija used the water in the radiator must be coloured/cleared and not ordinary water is he saying there must be radiator coolant mixed with water in the cooling chamber?

Really I have gotten a response from a dealer through this platform for offer at Ikeja car lot for visitation.

the radiator must be filled with coolant. Coolant type depends some are already premixed with water while others need to be mixed with certain litre of water. the gallon information will tell whether its premixed or not

Greenish or reddish doesn't matter, as long as the coolant is of a good quality.
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by CityNGR: 6:20pm On Mar 24, 2019
omoluabi2004:
Dear All,

Why are you buying that fuel monster?
Re: How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. by Kayharry(m): 4:52pm On Mar 26, 2022

(1) (2) (Reply)

All New Mercedes A-class Sedan Revealed (photos) / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? / What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.