Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,868 members, 7,802,799 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG (21471 Views)

Tinubu, Fashola, Ambode Record Landslide Victory At Polling Units - Vanguard / General Buhari Relaxing With His Wife After Voting / Senator Ndume Broke Down In Tears After Voting In Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by kahal29: 3:39am On Mar 20, 2015
The Inspector-General of Police, Suleiman Abba, on Thursday warned voters to go back to their homes after casting their votes on election days.

Abba, who addressed accredited observers for the general elections in Abuja, said the possibility of committing electoral offence was very high if voters stayed back at the polling booths for votes to be counted.

He said that each polling unit would have at least two or three policemen to protect the votes cast by the electorate.

The IG said, ‘‘Two to three police officers will be attached to each polling unit, and we would provide more officers for the collation centres and for the managers of the elections.

“We will go on to protect the electorate. Every eligible voter should feel safe enough to cast his votes. We will be there to protect the votes and make sure no one disrupts the process.

“Cast your votes and go and cool down. If you remain there, there is a likelihood that you will commit an offence.’’

The police chief advised political parties and their candidates to abide by “one agent to a polling unit,” which the electoral act stipulates.

“Asking voters to wait and protect their votes implies taking the law into their own hands. It is unacceptable,” he said.

Abba said the police were aware of threats by some politicians to declare parallel election results and warned that his men would deal with such act within the ambit of the law.

He added, “We have heard some people are threatening to declare election results; we hope it is not true. If you don’t accept the declared result by INEC (Independent National Electoral Commission), the best way is to proceed to the tribunal.

In advanced democracies, people don’t take the law into their own hands but resort to tribunals.

“The refusal to accept the result and resort to extrajudicial activities is a threat to the electoral process. But where they don’t heed the appeal, the police will act within the law to protect the electoral process.”

The IG said that the police would be loyal to the country, the constitution and all democratic activities before, during and after the elections in which 56,000 Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps officials and 129,000 non-regular personnel would be part of the security arrangements.

While disclosing that the police have “arrested thousands of thugs” and “recovered hundreds of firearms” he condemned the recruitment of miscreants by politicians to achieve their goals.

Abba noted that lateness in commencement of voting, delay in the provision of electoral materials, rigging and manipulation of results were serious threats to electoral process.

He advised INEC to fasten the process of accreditation of voters on election days.

The IG also said in a statement on Thursday that he had ordered tight security around all key and vulnerable points, including the headquarters and offices of INEC and media houses.

Also to witness improved security are Internally Displaced Persons camps, service provider installations, banks, hospitals, National Youth Service Corps lodges, hotels and government offices.

The measure, according to him, is to ward off possible attempt by hoodlums to attack such places .

Abba urged the public to remain steadfast in collaborating with policemen to stamp out crimes, “as the police have perfected strategies to prepare a safe and secure ground to guarantee hitch-free March 28 and April 11, 2015 elections.”

Efforts to speak with the APC spokesman, Lai Mohammed, did not yield result as calls to his telephone rang out.

He also did not respond to a text message sent to him.

Meanwhile, Abba has called for improved synergy between the police and para-military agencies under the Ministry of Interior for enhanced security during and after the polls.

The IG made the call when he visited the Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, to strategise on better ways of guaranteeing security during the elections.

He commended the efforts of security agencies in assisting the police in protecting lives and property, saying a lot has been done to ensure that security officers deployed for the polls adhered to best practices.

The minister also expressed satisfaction with the synergy between the paramilitary agencies and the police.

He noted that the rivalry that had earlier existed between the men of the NPF and other security agencies had been curbed.

“I am pleased to note that the networking between the police and the para-military services during your tenure is commendable,” Moro said.

The minister announced that 56,000 NSCDC personnel and 129,000 non-regular personnel of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, would be mobilised for the elections.

He also appealed to the IG to beef up security in Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State where Fulani herdsmen killed over 80 people last Sunday.
http://www.punchng.com/news/no-waiting-at-polling-booths-after-voting-ig/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by royal231(m): 3:43am On Mar 20, 2015
Good one... Lives and properties are more important.

Ftc for d second time

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by Nobody: 3:43am On Mar 20, 2015
See joker,we should go home so you can rig election.Nigerians are wiser now tongue,place that have crisis should be secure.

What is he saying?you mean after postponing election for 6wks you still can't guarantee security.Na my God go purnish you and the gods of my forefathers deal with you

226 Likes 14 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by Nobody: 3:44am On Mar 20, 2015
royal231:

Ftc for d second time
that was fast,Bleep T-Mobile
Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by kayboy4y(m): 3:51am On Mar 20, 2015
Oga Police Wetin be dis? Is ds a tactics to rig election? Our Police can be clueless like our President. So pple shld not protect their votes? This man is still living in the darkness so everytin he says are odd.
I can see dat Oga IGP is afraid that shld GMB emerge victorious, Alagbon or kirikiri wil be his next occupied apartment.

#ivedecided
#Police must not harass me
#I will protect my vote
#GMB is my choice

149 Likes 9 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by Nobody: 3:52am On Mar 20, 2015
Front page please,make people see their wayo
Cc seun

7 Likes

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by nzeadachie: 4:04am On Mar 20, 2015
VOTE AND GO HOME TO AVOID HAD I KNOW, IF YOU STAY ANYTHING YOU SEE YOU TAKE

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by Brightology2(m): 4:08am On Mar 20, 2015
B4 nkor
Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by aresa: 4:14am On Mar 20, 2015
The IG said that the police would be loyal to the country PDP.

grin

This is 2015, not 2011.

Even the police go run for cover @ #Nigerian#Spring.. grin

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by BabaEleko(m): 4:21am On Mar 20, 2015
Oloriibu Inspector. You and you're oga at the top go soon hear wehenn.

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by Pizzanatty(m): 4:25am On Mar 20, 2015
I Strongly Agree With The IG. Waiting For Votes To Be Counted Will Likely Result To Violence And Unsafe For The Voters.
Stay Or Not, If There Is Need For Rigging,the Presence Voters Wont Stop It.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by Gboliwe: 4:34am On Mar 20, 2015
Better educate the opposition who go as far as asking their supporters to go with charms to the booths.

Vote and go home and life is easier. If you stay, you are likely to commit an offense.

13 Likes

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by adefunke34: 4:35am On Mar 20, 2015
Yes oo cause APC supporters a deadly!
kahal29:
he Inspector-General of Police, Suleiman Abba, on Thursday warned voters to go back to their homes after casting their votes on election days.

Abba, who addressed accredited observers for the general elections in Abuja, said the possibility of committing electoral offence was very high if voters stayed back at the polling booths for votes to be counted.

He said that each polling unit would have at least two or three policemen to protect the votes cast by the electorate.

The IG said, ‘‘Two to three police officers will be attached to each polling unit, and we would provide more officers for the collation centres and for the managers of the elections.

“We will go on to protect the electorate. Every eligible voter should feel safe enough to cast his votes. We will be there to protect the votes and make sure no one disrupts the process.

“Cast your votes and go and cool down. If you remain there, there is a likelihood that you will commit an offence.’’

The police chief advised political parties and their candidates to abide by “one agent to a polling unit,” which the electoral act stipulates.

“Asking voters to wait and protect their votes implies taking the law into their own hands. It is unacceptable,” he said.

Abba said the police were aware of threats by some politicians to declare parallel election results and warned that his men would deal with such act within the ambit of the law.

He added, “We have heard some people are threatening to declare election results; we hope it is not true. If you don’t accept the declared result by INEC (Independent National Electoral Commission), the best way is to proceed to the tribunal.

In advanced democracies, people don’t take the law into their own hands but resort to tribunals.

“The refusal to accept the result and resort to extrajudicial activities is a threat to the electoral process. But where they don’t heed the appeal, the police will act within the law to protect the electoral process.”

The IG said that the police would be loyal to the country, the constitution and all democratic activities before, during and after the elections in which 56,000 Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps officials and 129,000 non-regular personnel would be part of the security arrangements.

While disclosing that the police have “arrested thousands of thugs” and “recovered hundreds of firearms” he condemned the recruitment of miscreants by politicians to achieve their goals.

Abba noted that lateness in commencement of voting, delay in the provision of electoral materials, rigging and manipulation of results were serious threats to electoral process.

He advised INEC to fasten the process of accreditation of voters on election days.

The IG also said in a statement on Thursday that he had ordered tight security around all key and vulnerable points, including the headquarters and offices of INEC and media houses.

Also to witness improved security are Internally Displaced Persons camps, service provider installations, banks, hospitals, National Youth Service Corps lodges, hotels and government offices.

The measure, according to him, is to ward off possible attempt by hoodlums to attack such places .

Abba urged the public to remain steadfast in collaborating with policemen to stamp out crimes, “as the police have perfected strategies to prepare a safe and secure ground to guarantee hitch-free March 28 and April 11, 2015 elections.”

Efforts to speak with the APC spokesman, Lai Mohammed, did not yield result as calls to his telephone rang out.

He also did not respond to a text message sent to him.

Meanwhile, Abba has called for improved synergy between the police and para-military agencies under the Ministry of Interior for enhanced security during and after the polls.

The IG made the call when he visited the Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, to strategise on better ways of guaranteeing security during the elections.

He commended the efforts of security agencies in assisting the police in protecting lives and property, saying a lot has been done to ensure that security officers deployed for the polls adhered to best practices.

The minister also expressed satisfaction with the synergy between the paramilitary agencies and the police.

He noted that the rivalry that had earlier existed between the men of the NPF and other security agencies had been curbed.

“I am pleased to note that the networking between the police and the para-military services during your tenure is commendable,” Moro said.

The minister announced that 56,000 NSCDC personnel and 129,000 non-regular personnel of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, would be mobilised for the elections.

He also appealed to the IG to beef up security in Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State where Fulani herdsmen killed over 80 people last Sunday.

http://www.punchng.com/news/no-waiting-at-polling-booths-after-voting-ig/

3 Likes

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by Trut(m): 4:35am On Mar 20, 2015
The IG gave a good advice.

6 Likes

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by nzeadachie: 4:39am On Mar 20, 2015
aresa:

grin

This is 2015, not 2011.

Even the police go run for cover @ #Nigerian#Spring.. grin
MAKE SURE YOU DEY FRONT

6 Likes

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by garrix8: 4:45am On Mar 20, 2015
The IG is power drunk and doesn't know what he is saying. INEC is meant to make rules not the Police.

Sai Baba

Sai Buhari

#ihavedecided

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by M4gunners: 4:54am On Mar 20, 2015
I was here reading the comments of Children of anger. They wants to remain at pulling station even after they cast their votes so that they can carry out their anger as usual. IG and his boys will lock anyone tried nonsense there.

8 Likes

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by StOla: 5:15am On Mar 20, 2015
Even INEC has advised that the voting population wait and observe their votes counted.

So who the hell is a corrupt police of the federal government to assure us of the safety of our votes?

The only offence I am likely to commit is catching the police allocating votes to the umbrella of corruption.

73 Likes 8 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by TI1919(m): 5:18am On Mar 20, 2015
Thank you sir our life is more important

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by Nobody: 5:18am On Mar 20, 2015
I concur with him..

No point staying back,except for ulterior motive..since the party agents are there,I see no reason staying back..

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by garrix8: 5:18am On Mar 20, 2015
M4gunners:
I was here reading the comments of Children of anger. They wants to remain at pulling station even after they cast their votes so that they can carry out their anger as usual. IG and his boys will lock anyone tried nonsense there.

1. They wants.. WRONG
They want... RIGHT
thanks to PDP you had a very poor education and have probably never heard of subject verb agreement aka Concord.

2. his boys will lock anyone tried nonsense there.... SENSELESSLY FUNNY.

This is why you and I must vote for #change. We mustn't allow PDP to keep destroying our society, making our schools churn out educated pseudo literate imps like your useless self.

Lest I forget...

Sai Baba

Sai Buhari

#ihavedecided

87 Likes 4 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by MzJackBaueress(f): 5:20am On Mar 20, 2015
Oga IG, you lie! We electorates shall remain in our polling units for counting of the votes. You cannot do anything.

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by garrix8: 5:20am On Mar 20, 2015
StOla:
Even INEC has advised that the voting population wait and observe their votes counted.

So who the hell is a corrupt police of the federal government to assure us of the safety of our votes?

The only offence I am likely to commit is catching the police allocating votes for the umbrella of corruption.

The IG has proved to be a presumptuous fool. Same way he said Tambuwal was no longer speaker because he decamped to Apc.

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by garrix8: 5:21am On Mar 20, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Oga IG, you lie! We electorates shall remain in our polling units for counting of the votes. You cannot do anything.

Don't mind the over zealous Olokpa.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by M4gunners: 5:24am On Mar 20, 2015
garrix8:

1. They wants.. WRONG
They want... RIGHT
thanks to PDP you had a very poor education and have probably never heard of subject verb agreement aka Concord.

2. his boys will lock anyone tried nonsense there.... SENSELESSLY FUNNY.

This is why you and I must vote for #change. We mustn't allow PDP to keep destroying our society, making our schools churn out educated pseudo literate imps like your useless self.

Lest I forget...

Sai Baba

Sai Buhari

#ihavedecided
You are on ur own. Nobody can change my mind from voting for GEJ even at gun point.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by Nobody: 5:33am On Mar 20, 2015
Go home and do what? So that you can manipulate the result abi?

Bros you go show me gun

40 Likes

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by Jesusloveyou: 5:35am On Mar 20, 2015
Gboliwe:
Better educate the opposition who go as far as asking their supporters to go with charms to the booths.

Vote and go home and life is easier. If you stay, you are likely to commit an offense.

that is pdp police force,not nigeria police force,i am staying til d result is declare,i don't need pdp police,i wil take cover in d blood of jesus.

33 Likes

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by fitzmayowa: 6:08am On Mar 20, 2015
Why wait after voting when you cast your vote you are expected to leave the polling booth immediately, so why all the noise about rigging

BTW what will the party agents representing each party at the polling booth be be looking at Are they suggesting that their own party agent will be bribed to allow rigging Don't they trust their party agents what will the election observers be looking at what will the presiding officer be looking at I thought we all believed in the card reader, that it will stop some people from rigging, how come we are still afraid of rigging

8 Likes

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by disloman(m): 6:14am On Mar 20, 2015
royal231:

Ftc for d second time
True bt rigging could affect one's future negatively.We will wait n our votes will b counted in our presence.
SAI BUHARI=GENERAL IBERU/IJAYA

13 Likes

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by fitzmayowa: 6:15am On Mar 20, 2015
Jesusloveyou:
that is pdp police force,not nigeria police force,i am staying til d result is declare,i don't need pdp police,i wil take cover in d blood of jesus.

I guess from you statement, if you don't support PDP the police won't protect you I wonder why we allow politics to push us to this stage...SMH

4 Likes

Re: No Waiting At Polling Booths After Voting – IG by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:17am On Mar 20, 2015
People should wait to police their votes unless there is imminent danger.

Let Nigerians be wise

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fayose Gifts 3 Teachers Cars: Hyundai Xcent And KIA RIO [photos] / 89 Percent Of Nigerians Not Happy Under Buhari - Okorocha / Kaduna APC Releases Results For LG , Councillorship Aspirants Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.