Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,825 members, 7,802,630 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters (14714 Views)

An Event That Happened Between A Fictional Character And Me / 5 Major Reasons Why You Need To Read Non-Fictional Books / 1985.... 1987.... 2014--[a Crime Story] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 3:23pm On Mar 20, 2015
I'm not an ardent student of written Literature but I enjoy reading crime fictions a lot, the crimes and the technicalities employed by the sleuths to solving them. Granted, I've read a whole lot of crime books, especially those of Dame Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle, among others. And so I've decided to make a list of my 5 best characters, and welcome all who have interest to share their views.

1. Sherlock Holmes: is a fictional character created by Scottish author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The detective acts on behalf of the British government in matters of national security in a number of stories. Holmes derives pleasure from baffling police inspectors with his deductions, and has supreme confidence - bordering on arrogance - in his intellectual abilities. The detective does not actively seek fame, however, and is usually content to let the police take public credit for his work.
Holmes always uses tobacco, smokes cigarettes, cigars and pipes (a socially acceptable habit at the time), and the detective is an expert at identifying tobacco-ash residue. But occasionally uses addictive drugs like cocaine in the absence of stimulating cases. He has a faithful assistant and friend called Watson.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2230766_sherlock_jpegea0ed65706e7709a6821c22c49147f6c

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 3:24pm On Mar 20, 2015
2. Hercule Poirot: a remarkable fictional Belgian detective, created by Agatha Christie, Poirot was the only fictional character to receive an obituary on the front page of The New York Times! In the early novels, he casts himself in the role of "Papa Poirot", a benign confessor, especially to young women. In later works, Christie made a point of having Poirot supply false or misleading information about himself or his background to assist him in obtaining information. Unlike Sherlock Holmes who is more scientific in solving crimes, Poirot relies on his "little grey cells". His very good friend, Arthur Hastings, described Poirot as a small man, "hardly more than five feet four inches but carried himself with great dignity. His head was exactly the shape of an egg, and he always perched it a little on one side. His moustache was very stiff and military. Even if everything on his face was covered, the tips of moustache and the pink-tipped nose would be visible." Poirot has green eyes that are repeatedly described as shining "like a cat's" when he is struck by a clever idea, and dark hair, which he dyes later in life. However, many of his screen incarnations are portrayed as bald or balding. He's always very neat, can spend hours brushing his coat and admiring his moustache before a mirror.
Poirot operates as a fairly conventional, clue-based and logical detective; reflected in his vocabulary by two common phrases: his use of "the little grey cells" and "order and method". He was introduced introduced by Christie in The Murder on the Orient Express and died in Curtains.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2230797_poirot_jpeg18cb112c2c3848c9537a7d665af78f39

4 Likes

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 3:24pm On Mar 20, 2015
3. Inspector Jacques Clouseau Clouseau is an inept and incompetent police detective, a funny character, who solves most of his cases entirely by accident. I deliberately included him in my list because he provides comic reliefs grin cheesy His incompetence, combined with his luck and his periodically-correct interpretations of the situation, eventually transform his direct superior (former Chief Inspector Dreyfus) into a homicidal psychotic. He appears convinced of his own intelligence; but does appear to show some awareness of his limits, and attempts to appear regardless of what calamity he has just caused.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2230897_clouseau_jpegc01cbb4caece2b59fa078e0dfc4fd0b4

1 Like

4. Miss Marple: Another conceptualization of Agatha Christie, Miss Marple, aka Jane Marple, is an old-timer sharp-minded detective (though, rated amateur, unlike Poirot and Holmes). She lives in the village of St. Mary Mead and acts as confused for most of the time. But it’s a matter of fact that she is master in solving mysteries which are generally a wild-goose-chase for the local “professionals.” Among the stack of fictional detectives, this lady of sheer determination is widely adored for her ability of understanding human nature by extreme oddities. She demonstrates a remarkably thorough education, including some art courses that involved study of human anatomy through the study of human cadavers.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2230959_marple_jpeg475090836e6bb570f197a889a5b4866d

1 Like

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 3:25pm On Mar 20, 2015
5. Frank Drebin: He's a member of the Police Squad! series and N.aked Gun movies played by Leslie Nielsen. And if you think Clouseau is funny, here is the true king of incompetent detective who-solves cases anyhow! He's a more comic figure; known for being a bumbling fool, causing lots of problems, often more than he solves, but being entirely oblivious to it all. Frank Drebin would frequently switch between being an utter genius and a complete moro.n. He just as well lacks having pity and compassion towards struggling individuals when they need it, and having any of it when conversing with officials who confront him about his mistakes. Regardless, he managed to stop Ricardo Montalban, Robert Goulet, and Fred Ward's evil plots, while occasionally running into Weird Al Yankovic.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2231033_denbin_jpeg3b6769bf990f4a22bfda69b5fd0ed1b8

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2231034_drebin_jpegfc91e5216eafc35ea4a29d31f44e46f7

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by Geoxpress(m): 4:23pm On Mar 20, 2015
Lmao, u dy try ooh grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 9:40am On Mar 21, 2015
Lol!
Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by Cammo: 10:18am On Mar 25, 2015
I don't know about Poirot or Maples but I'd rule out Inspector Jac coz he's not a serious type. Nice piece, Op

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 2:21pm On Apr 04, 2015
Cammo:
I don't know about Poirot or Maples but I'd rule out Inspector Jac coz he's not a serious type. Nice piece, Op
Have you read any of his books, films?

1 Like

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by Cammo: 4:48pm On Apr 04, 2015
kr0ne:

Have you read any of his books, films?
The movie, Pink Panther, in which Beyoncé starred
Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 2:34pm On May 06, 2015
Cammo:

The movie, Pink Panther, in which Beyoncé starred
Ok
Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 9:51pm On Jul 05, 2015
This Literature people really fall my hand.
Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by SIRcumalot: 6:13pm On Jul 06, 2015
This list isn't complete without Lincoln Rhymes.
He is paralysed and can only move one finger,
Used to be a forsenic criminalist,
Fascinated with falcon,
Famous believer in the locard principle and applies it to every crime scene.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by usermane(m): 6:59pm On Jul 06, 2015
I 'll pick batman over any on this list
Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 7:07pm On Jul 07, 2015
usermane:
I 'll pick batman over any on this list
Nah! Batman is not really a detective. He's more of a superhero like Superman.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 7:07pm On Jul 07, 2015
SIRcumalot:
This list isn't complete without Lincoln Rhymes.
He is paralysed and can only move one finger,
Used to be a forsenic criminalist,
Fascinated with falcon,
Famous believer in the locard principle and applies it to every crime scene.
I wish I knew him. Where can I find books about him?
Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by SIRcumalot: 7:26pm On Jul 07, 2015
kr0ne:

I wish I knew him. Where can I find books about him?
His creator is Jeffery Deavers and the books are fairly popular so you can get it from bookshops
Or you can download
Their is also a movie version of the first book called bone collector starring Denzel and Angelina jolie.

1 Like

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 8:42pm On Jul 07, 2015
SIRcumalot:

His creator is Jeffery Deavers and the books are fairly popular so you can get it from bookshops
Or you can download
Their is also a movie version of the first book called bone collector starring Denzel and Angelina jolie.
Bone Collector? Ok, I'll look for the movie. Thanks.
Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 11:06am On Nov 12, 2015
Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by Vecto(m): 8:04pm On Dec 25, 2016
What about detective lot?

In the “Brand of Cain” series...
Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by kr0ne(m): 1:40pm On Aug 15, 2017
How did you miss this python, Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by NeeKlaus: 4:02pm On Aug 15, 2017
So, Two years later, this pops up??
Lalasticlalä why?? angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by lycan2: 4:03pm On Aug 15, 2017
what of L in death note?

1 Like

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by hotwax: 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2017
Jack buer 24 hours is still the best

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by iihtlagos: 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2017
lol
Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by 2O17: 4:05pm On Aug 15, 2017
ok
Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by jashar(f): 4:05pm On Aug 15, 2017
cheesy cheesy

Show of hands.

How many people here know Agatha Christie?

grin grin grin

Do these 2000 and 1990 shidren read good books?

3 Likes

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by 61Penguins: 4:07pm On Aug 15, 2017
LeBron James
Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by free2ryhme: 4:07pm On Aug 15, 2017
And there was no Nigerian fictional crime detectives

Well, it is said our society can never operate above its present level in terms of reasoning and imagination

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by orjikuramo(m): 4:07pm On Aug 15, 2017
Hardley Chase took a vacation ba? Anyway, u try

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Fictional Crime Detective Characters by Wristler: 4:07pm On Aug 15, 2017
See them undecided Geeky nerds and nerdy geeks all over the thread

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Wins 'One Book, One New York' Award In USA / Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year Two (by Kayode Odusanya) / A BEAUTIFUL FOE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.