Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,743 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance (59092 Views)

Gorgeous Urhobo Bride From Niger Delta / Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 20, 2015
Every Urhobo name given to a child has a meaning attached to it. The Urhobo believe that a child lives up to the meaning of the name that she or he bears. For instance, there is a general belief that if a ‘thief’ is the name of a child, that child may grow up to be a ‘rogue.’ If, on the other hand, your child is given a name that suggests a ‘rich person,’ there is the belief that such a child invariably grows up to be a wealthy individual. Urhobo parents are therefore very careful of the names they give to their children.

For the most part, grandparents or close older relatives have the privilege of giving names to new-borns. This is usually an honour. However, unlike some of their ethnic neighbours, Urhobo people do not have any special naming ceremonies that require performing certain rites. 

Apart from the parents and grandparents, traditionally Urhobo rarely allow new-borns to be touched or sometimes seen directly by others until the age of three months. Mother and child are usually strong enough to have an outing at this age. This involves visiting the in-laws and other close relatives. At this time, the child would have been given a name. A birth registry is a recent notion in Urhoboland. Traditionally, Urhobo parents do not “count” the number of their children. Parents are not permitted by Urhobo cultural practices to count their children. The number of fingers often represents a count of one’s children.

Urhobo names have deep meanings. Names are not mere labels, as they are in some other societies. Many Urhobo names invoke spiritual or religious significance. Sometimes we give names to connote a challenge to self or others. Urhobo people thrive best when challenged. We also give names as a celebration and appreciation of the gift of a child itself. Several Urhobo names reflect honour and achievement. Certain names are simply philosophical, while others are gender specific. The Urhobo also give names that emphasize the importance of people as an important resource. Sometimes names are given to denote special days, especially if the individual was born on that specific day.

The Urhobo are a very republican people. They work very hard to acquire wealth and fame in an old-fashioned way. Your wealth is as good as its source. Urhobo will investigate the source of your wealth. If it is suspect, you stand to lose your respect, dignity and fame. A good number of Urhobo names have to do with wealth and money.

Names are also given to denote colors, weather conditions, natural resources and place of origin or where born.
The list that follows contains a sample of some common Urhobo names. Urhobo names are sometimes sentences or even phrases.  The ‘long forms’ may in fact be the ‘short forms’ of the actual long names. The ‘short forms’, therefore, are in some cases doubly short forms of the real names. However, the actual meanings of the names are never in doubt. 

Most Urhobo names start with vowels in the initial position except where abbreviated.

Akpenvwoghene(Praise God), Anaborhi (Be born with good destiny), Edewor (Sacred day of worship in traditional religion), Ejiroghene (Praise God), Enohor/Elohor (Blessing), Erhiaganoma (Guardian spirit overpowers the body), Eseoghene (God’s gift), Oghenetega (God is worship-worthy) Oghenefejiro (God is praiseworthy), Efemena (Here is my wealth), Oghenerukevwe (God did this for me), Eserovwe (God’s grace or Free gift), Oghenebrume (God decided in my favour), Oghenechovwe (God aided me), Oghenegaren (God is great) Oghenekevwe (God gave (provided for) me), Oghenekohwo (God provides), Ogheneme (My God),Oghenemine (I look up to God), Oghenenyore (God answers prayers), Ogheneruemu (God makes things possible) Ogheneruno (God has so much great), Edafetanure (The wealthy have spoken), Efemuaye (Those intoxicated with riches), Efetobore( Wealth has now been achieved), Etanomare (Freed from blame / despair), Etaredafe (Words of the wealthy), Iroro (wisdom), Ighomuedafe (Money intoxicates the wealthy)

Source: http://thepointernewsonline.com/?p=14023

If you are an Urhobo or know any Urhobo names, feel free to add it together with the meaning or if you want to know the meaning of any Urhobo name, just paste it for translation.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Tallesty1(m): 6:57pm On Mar 20, 2015
So nah urhobo my pastor dey rap for alter and we dey clap for am say he sabi speak in tongues?

5 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 7:12pm On Mar 20, 2015
cool
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by englishmart(m): 7:14pm On Mar 20, 2015
tallesty1, you no be catholic again?

2 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by englishmart(m): 7:17pm On Mar 20, 2015
nice thread. Maybe I should consider dropping this glass of origin for a bag of popcorn

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Tallesty1(m): 7:26pm On Mar 20, 2015
englishmart:
tallesty1, you no be catholic again?
A catholic priest can be referred to as a pastor sir

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by englishmart(m): 7:37pm On Mar 20, 2015
Tallesty1:
A catholic priest can be referred to as a pastor sir
I didn't dispute that. But last I checked, catholic priests didn't speak in tongues

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Tallesty1(m): 7:42pm On Mar 20, 2015
englishmart:
I didn't dispute that. But last I checked, catholic priests didn't speak in tongues
Do you go to adorations or vigils?
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by englishmart(m): 6:48am On Mar 21, 2015
Tallesty1:
Do you go to adorations or vigils?
I go to vigils
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Bonapart(m): 11:40am On Mar 21, 2015
Since am from the heart and wisdom of the country(IGBO) let me just pass

3 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Henrybliz(m): 11:41am On Mar 21, 2015
its all abt belief
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 11:42am On Mar 21, 2015
K is wat
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by kbshow100(m): 11:42am On Mar 21, 2015
Pls what is the meaning of EDAFE (I'm not sure Of the spelling)
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 11:44am On Mar 21, 2015
The Urhobo are a very republican people. They work very hard to acquire wealth and fame in an old-fashioned way. Your wealth is as good as its source. Urhobo will investigate the source of your wealth. If it is suspect, you stand to lose your respect, dignity and fame. A good number of Urhobo names have to do with wealth and money.

God Bless Urhobo Nation

10 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by deandavid(m): 11:44am On Mar 21, 2015
erumu= goodness/beauty

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by sokotoburundi(m): 11:44am On Mar 21, 2015
what abt irunobo?
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 11:44am On Mar 21, 2015
cc altwireless
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by dennismukoro(m): 11:45am On Mar 21, 2015
IGHO - MEANS MONEY
OGHENERUKEVWE - MEANS GOD WILL DO FOR YOU
OHWORHODE - MEANS BIGMAN
ONOME - MEANS MY OWN
OHWOFASA - PERSON FIT PLACE.....MY Native name grin grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 11:45am On Mar 21, 2015
thank you Jesus Christ our God.
for choosing Gej

and thank u for rejecting Buhari the warlord

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by priscaoge(f): 11:45am On Mar 21, 2015
I can't see my name angry angry

Where dem Urhobo peeps here? Come n tell me what "OGECHI",..... "God's Time is the Best" is in ur language angry angry

Akpos nko?

2 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by DONMAYOR19(m): 11:45am On Mar 21, 2015
Ogheneochuko, meaning God is my helper. that's my Urhobo name.

4 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 11:46am On Mar 21, 2015
My husband will stop the export of Edo prostitutes to
Italy* Aisha Buhari (2015)

2 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by skullbaba: 11:46am On Mar 21, 2015
Just like yoruba names. We believe urhobo are like sister nation to us ( pleases africans stop using tribes but nation)

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 11:46am On Mar 21, 2015
what about Gej?
its means = the victorious one in urhobo

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by DONMAYOR19(m): 11:47am On Mar 21, 2015
kbshow100:
Pls what is the meaning of EDAFE (I'm not sure Of the spelling)
Riches.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by darlenese(f): 11:47am On Mar 21, 2015
-
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 11:47am On Mar 21, 2015
john4reala:
My husband will stop the export of Edo prostitutes to
Italy* Aisha Buhari (2015)
Edo for PDP
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Minet16(m): 11:48am On Mar 21, 2015
My dad's name is OGHENETORITSEBAWO UBRHURE IYERESANJUNMI. Abeg wetin e mean
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Barthx(m): 11:49am On Mar 21, 2015
Oghenevwoke (God's time)

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by powacon: 11:49am On Mar 21, 2015
What is the meaning of Efegbidigbidi?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Sanu Nku Jamaa [Hausa-speaking thread] / Olu Of Warri Hangs Out With FIFA Officials At Qatar (pics) / 'I Got Three Wives Through Flogging' - Fulani Man (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.