Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,843 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:03 PM

Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. (4377 Views)

Poll: Should the president be allowed to use the airspace at the expense of already airborne citizens?

Yes: 2% (2 votes)
No: 85% (57 votes)
Sometimes: 11% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

It's 6:00am,here Now,i Stayed Awake For 3 Hrs Waiting To See Buhari's Certificat / France Admits Ownership Of Seized Plane In Kano / Rate This Photo Of GEJ In Air Force Regalia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by earTHMama: 8:32pm On Jan 18, 2009
Panic: Presidential movement keeps airline in the air for 3 hours
Written by Kenneth Ehigiator
Saturday, January 17, 2009

Panic, anxiety trailed the aviation sector yesterday as[b] Bellview’s Abuja-bound plane which took off at the Murtala Mohammed Airport, Lagos, did not get to its destination until after almost three hours as a result of presidential movement.

[/b]

The confusion was heightened by the fact that three years ago, on October 22, 2005, an airliner of the same airline did not get to its Abuja destination at the estimated time of arrival, and was later found to have crashed at Lisa in Ogun State.

Saturday Vanguard gathered that the plane took off in Lagos at about noon and was expected to arrive Abuja latest 1:00pm, but couldn’t land until close to 3:00pm.

Presidential movement was said to have kept the plane in the air for upward of three hours, prompting panic and frustration among passengers.

The pilot, it was learnt, was forced to bring the aircraft down to avoid running out of fuel which had almost been exhausted.

It was learnt that because of the number of the length of time the aircraft spent in the air, some passengers aboard fainted and were later revived after the plane had touched down.

Families of some of the passengers on board the plane reportedly stormed the Lagos airport to ascertain the true state of affairs, having waited to hear from their loved ones on arrival in Abuja with no success.

A source told Saturday Vanguard some top officials in the sector ran confusingly to ascertain what had gone wrong with the airplane until they heard from air traffic controllers that it had been held up in the skies by VIP movement.

A similar situation had about three years ago forced the pilot of a Cessna Citation trainer plane to land on the expressway at Ewekoro, Ogun State, having been prevented from landing at the Lagos airport due to presidential movement.

The pilot was actually running out of fuel and reasoned that fuel he had left could not take the aircraft to Ibadan to land.

This present incident has again brought to the fore issues relating to VIP movement, especially as it violates known aviation laws which forbid such movements from impeding smooth aircraft movement in the airspace for safety reasons.

Besides national laws, regulations of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) also forbid VIP movements from interfering with safe commercial airline operations.

It will be recalled how a Cessna citation trainer aircraft was forced to land in Ewekoro area of Ogun State over a year ago due to unnecessary delay based on presidential movement.

Although the spokesman of the airline, Mr. Habib Mohammed, could not be reached for confirmation, as calls pulled through his phone were unanswered, a source close to the regulatory agency, the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) confirmed the incident.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jan/17/311.html
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by earTHMama: 8:33pm On Jan 18, 2009
Ridiculous if you ask me. I think the passengers should sue the FG.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by oderemo(m): 8:36pm On Jan 18, 2009
wonder shall never end.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by BOSS7: 8:36pm On Jan 18, 2009
This na onfusion break bones.
cheesy
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by earTHMama: 8:41pm On Jan 18, 2009
One head is > over 150 passengers!. Ridiculous.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by chidichris(m): 10:00pm On Jan 18, 2009
fani kayode last year told a panel of inquiry that the countless air misharps in nigeria had to do with the cultists in nigeria.
the other abuja bound plane lost one of the engines now a local flight held for three hours. funy stories in nigeria, flyers shld be careful this time maybe they need blood somewhere.
God will save us all in Jesus name.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by earTHMama: 10:41pm On Jan 18, 2009
I thought it was Borishade?
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by BOSS7: 10:43pm On Jan 18, 2009
earTHMama:

I thought it was Borishade?

NO, it was Fa**y Kayode. I saw the live interview in London and I had to tap myself twice as I thought I was dreaming. He actually said "it was the occultist's to be blamed cos he believed in thingd like that".
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by oderemo(m): 10:44pm On Jan 18, 2009
God will save us all in Jesus  name[color=#006600][/color]

when?
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by BOSS7: 10:45pm On Jan 18, 2009
ode remo:

God will save us all in Jesus name[color=#006600][/color]

when?

Never!!!
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by earTHMama: 10:48pm On Jan 18, 2009
NO, it was Fa**y Kayode. I saw the live interview in London and I had to tap myself twice as I thought I was dreaming. He actually said "it was the occultist's to be blamed cos he believed in thingd like that".

He may be right in a way. Have you heard of any other plane crash lately since the occultists were arrested by EFCC?. Unless some crazy Nigerians are planning to fly Air Aloy.Emeka. grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-220178.0.html
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by Skywalker5(m): 10:53pm On Jan 18, 2009
WTF angry angry angry angry
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by oderemo(m): 11:03pm On Jan 18, 2009
yeah right
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by redsun(m): 11:16pm On Jan 18, 2009
Occultist,funny,occultism is about things like the presidential movement shit,gross mismanagement and abuse of privates headed power,What on earth could they have held a commercial plane in the air for 3 hours for?even if it was going to crash land at aso rock.And why the particular plane?
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by RICHIEBOI1(m): 11:34pm On Jan 18, 2009
my gawd! wetin person no go see for this country called naija angry
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by earTHMama: 7:44am On Jan 19, 2009
[b],What on earth could they have held a commercial plane in the air for 3 hours for?[/b]even if it was going to crash land at aso rock.And why the particular plane?
Because in Nigeria, president's or governors private plane flies with siren like they do when they use cars to scare away birds, commercial planes and air borne armed robbers/assassins especially whenever they are flying over almajiri air space . If you don't stay 10000 feet away from the plane when you hear the siren, paratroopers will use their cain to crash your plane. cheesy
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by C2H5OH(f): 7:46am On Jan 19, 2009
earTHMama:

Because in Nigeria, president's or governors private plane flies with siren like they do when they use cars to scare away birds, commercial planes and air borne armed robbers/assassins especially whenever they are flying over almajiri air space . If you don't stay 10000 feet away from the plane when you hear the siren, paratroopers will use their cain to crash your plane. cheesy
o serious
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by texazzpete(m): 9:03am On Jan 19, 2009
Misleading title. I thought Yar'Adua had manifested powers like Sylar in Heroes and could suspend planes in mid-air with telekinesis.

Seriously though, that sucks.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by otokx(m): 10:21am On Jan 19, 2009
This country
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by Muza(m): 9:41pm On Jan 19, 2009
And he calls himself servant leader
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by Theblessed(f): 6:15am On Jan 20, 2009
You see what I mean?? the degree of abuse of power by the people who should know better? How dare Yaradua risk hundreds of lives on air for 3 hours just for egotism and grandiosity. How dare him and his henchmen/entourage even think of this?? What is his office trying to tell the world? That his daily business is more important than hundreds of Nigerian lives?

Well, I should not blame them because they have all got it good down there. No African government is under any pressure to deliver the goods you know! That's why they do what they like. What do you expect then? When you are not accountable for any thing wouldn't you rule the roast Don't worry their day shall come like those before them!!!

Here am being made to believe that Nigerian lives are worth nothing and should not be bothered about. When a Head of State whose duty it is to proctect Nigerians display this kind of cowardness and irresponsibility as regards to lives I wonder the kind of message other countries of the world are picking up from him about how to treat our people. I don't blame him and his groupie at all but our so called Nigerian men who in circumstances like this can only talk, talk, talk and talk (all cowards) and when it comes to women issues that's where you see their power and rage e.g. the divorcee rally scheduled on the 29th January 2009 in Northern Nigerian, guess who is up in arms trying to quash it The Nigerian males. They are all nothing but women wrappers when they can not effect any change in our country they should go and die than presenting this image of: I am a man, I am a man when they should all challenge the government and change our country of the best and for the benefit of their children. If you can not effect a change for our beloved country, get out of the way - Nigerian women would do it and you would see. Remember Queen Shebba, Queen Amina - these are strong Nubian women who made a difference in history and we their decendants will carry the mantle.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by naijaking1: 6:34am On Jan 20, 2009
Now, anybody doubting that there's nothing wrong with Nigeria ought to tell me where the movement of the president, and security details of the speaker could interfer with commercial aviation safety protocols----- almost on a daily basis.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by earTHMama: 6:43am On Jan 20, 2009
Now, anybody doubting that there's nothing wrong with Nigeria ought to tell me where the movement of the president, and security details of the speaker could interfer with commercial aviation safety protocols----- almost on a daily basis.

No, it was just this once. Stop telling people it happens on daily basis.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by Sapphic: 6:52am On Jan 20, 2009
Only in that bleeped up Nigeria. angry For a nonentity under the title of president (or his advisers or whoever in charge), to dare risk and endanger the lives of the very citizens whom he is supposed to be governing and who had not voted him into the apex office, is criminal to say the least.

(But Na wah for reporting o. How can a plane which (according to the report) was supposed to land at about 1pm but instead landed around 3PM, have been suspended in the air for 3 hours? Sensationalism is always the order of the day with these people undecided).

earTHMama:

It may not be on a daily basis, but it was definitely NOT once. The report clearly stated that a plane was FORCED to land on the expressway for Gawd's sake cos of this same thing. What a friggin joke and there is no strong public outrage and backlash over this crap. Even if it been just once, that would have been one time TOO MANY. angry
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by SHENANIGAN(m): 6:58am On Jan 20, 2009
I don't see the big deal, the plane could have diverted to Jos, Kaduna, or Aviation School in Zaria. All these locations are  less than 200 miles away. It's protocol when a President is landing or taking off from an airport all air traffic is suspended around the airport for security reasons.

Here in the states the Presidential aircraft try as much as possible from landing in commercial airports due to just that same reason. Instead Air Force One or Marine one would land or take off from the closest military Airfield . And if one is not around Air force one lands in a commercial Airport and air traffic around the airport would be suspended till the President leaves the area.

I maybe wrong, but I don't think there is a big enough run way in any Military airfield around Abuja so the president is limited to just the commercial airport. Security of the President should always come first.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by earTHMama: 8:33am On Jan 20, 2009
I don't see the big deal, the plane could have diverted to Jos, Kaduna, or Aviation School in Zaria. All these locations are less than 200 miles away. It's protocol when a President is landing or taking off from an airport all air traffic is suspended around the airport for security reasons.

Here in the states the Presidential aircraft affords landing in commercial airports due to just that same reason. Instead Air Force One or Marine one would land or take off from the closest military Airfield . And if one is not around Air force one lands in a commercial Airport and air traffic around the airport would be suspended till the President leaves the area.

I maybe wrong, but I don't think there is a big enough run way in any Military airfield around Abuja so the president is limited to just the commercial airport. Security of the President should always come first.

So it took him 3 hrs to land? Is the presidential plane made by Yaradua aero manufacturing co else why the slow landing?
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by hijk: 10:16am On Jan 20, 2009
SHENANIGAN:

I don't see the big deal, the plane could have diverted to Jos, Kaduna, or Aviation School in Zaria. All these locations are less than 200 miles away. It's protocol when a President is landing or taking off from an airport all air traffic is suspended around the airport for security reasons.

Here in the states the Presidential aircraft try as much as possible from landing in commercial airports due to just that same reason. Instead Air Force One or Marine one would land or take off from the closest military Airfield . And if one is not around Air force one lands in a commercial Airport and air traffic around the airport would be suspended till the President leaves the area.

you are right. during the bill clinton years as president of the us he held up air traffic for more than one hour because he needed a quick haircut on air force one before making a trip. it made headlines then though. i see no reason why the president could not be given priority over other air travellers. for christ's sake he is president!
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by naijaking1: 11:11am On Jan 20, 2009
earTHMama:

That's what is exactly wrong with naija people and naija for that matter. Do you know how many of these incidents go unreported everyday? Do you know how many commercial flights have been delayed because some "VIP" is taking his sweet time boarding the aircraft. This poor behaviour has become part of our tolerable culture because of people like you.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by Sapphic: 12:51pm On Jan 20, 2009
SHENANIGAN:

The security of the president does NOT come before the safety of the citizens. There is a reason why there are flight plans and protocols. These things are factored into the take-off and landing schedule. There was no excuse.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by SHENANIGAN(m): 11:15pm On Jan 20, 2009
Sapphic:

The security of the president does NOT come before the safety of the citizens. There is a reason why there are flight plans and protocols. These things are factored into the take-off and landing schedule. There was no excuse.

Try saying that around some over worked CIA or NSA agents and your butt will be dead before you can reach the ground.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by naijaking1: 5:14am On Jan 21, 2009
SHENANIGAN:

Try saying that around some over worked CIA or NSA agents and your butt will be dead before you can reach the ground.
Your example with CIA/NSA/Airforce 1, etc is self serving. No American president would be like to be held responsible for jeopardiazing a commercial aircraft in air. NEPA/PHC, telephones don't work in Nigeria, but you expect airtraffic control to work as if in the US.
Nobody questions the the president is the #1 citizen, but why jeopardize lives(that may include those of future presidents) just because of poorly cordinated travel schedules.
Re: Yaradua Suspends Domestic Passenger Plane In Air For 3 Hrs. by Jakumo(m): 6:26am On Jan 21, 2009
For me, there would be no greater act of[b] Patriotism [/b] I could perform than to die in a plane crash which resulted from my aircraft running out of fuel after being delayed indefinitely in a holding pattern so as to make way for the arrival of Nigeria's Airforce One and its terminally sick occupant.

As soon as the captain of my plane announced that we are out of fuel and heading down for a certain appointment with a fiery death, I would commence to sing the Nigerian national anthem loudly enough to drown out the futile screamed prayers of all those seated around me, confident in the knowledge that El Presidente would declare all of us aboard the ill-fated plane as heroes whose bereaved families might be eligible for 200 naira compensation after a few decades of air-crash investigations and paperwork in Abuja.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Does The Black World Hate Nigerians? / Contrary To Apc Claims, Gloria Okon 'Died' When Buhari Was Head Of State- Proof / CHAI! How APC Rigged Osun State Election- Watch Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.