Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,648 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? (25481 Views)

NIS Arrests 400 Illegal Immigrants In Edo State / Nigeria Deports 53 Illegal Immigrants / We Pay Between 300 - 500 Naira To Enter Nigeria – Illegal Immigrants (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by free2ryhme: 12:59pm On Sep 22, 2015
Because they intend to go home and enjoy the benefits of a welfare and public health system the people of their host country could only dream about.
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by ellachuku: 12:59pm On Sep 22, 2015
bqlekan:
Racism

Killer speech by Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe:

“Racism will never end as long as white cars are stil using black tyres.

Racism will never end if people still use black to symbolise bad luck and white for peace.

Racism will never end if people still wear white clothes to weddings and black clothes to funerals.

Racism will never end as long as those who don’t pay their bills are blacklisted not white listed.

Even when playing snooker. You haven’t won until you’ve sunk the black ball, and the white ball must remain on the table.

But I don’t care, as long as I’m still using white toilet paper to wipe my black ass I’m happy.... grin grin grin

Copy and paste .I liked it tho

2 Likes

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by babseg(m): 1:00pm On Sep 22, 2015
USA refer to rest of us as aliens undecided
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Ijaya123: 1:02pm On Sep 22, 2015
I agree with your submission absolutely.
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by bqlekan(m): 1:03pm On Sep 22, 2015
ellachuku:

Copy and paste .I liked it tho
the original statement was from Mugabe... which I tagged
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by niggi4life(m): 1:03pm On Sep 22, 2015
TLOTRS:
This is a very nice article. Its high time we Africans especially put the white supremacist in their right position. If I am an immigrant in their own country, they have to be immigrants in mine too, not expats.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Every citizen of the world must be treated with equality.
so sorry but the truth is you blacks have nothing to offer each other talkless of your country you reside in. You want equality yet your leaders are busy sucking the country dry with corruption and they are getting away with it big time
Your fellow africans are busy killing themselves, the non violent ones are busy scamming the white people abroad and making a fortune out of causing harm to them.
Yet you want equality........ If u can take a look at Nairaland's front page, u will see that your number 3 citizen of the country is in court right now over corruption scandal which we all obviously know he commited

Mark my word, he is going to get away with it. Run away to another country if u want to bro, but be ready to be called a fugitive, an asylum seeker or if you are lucky an Immigrant

2 Likes

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Podolskie777: 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2015
They come into our country as an expat and we call dem master on d field... I tink enough of ds rubbish shocked
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by yash33: 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2015
ONE IS SOUGHT AFTER, WELL PAID AND USUALLY COMPETENT WHILE THE OTHER DEY CROSS DESERT OR ENTER CANOE TO CROSS THE HIGH SEAS TO GET TO THE OTHER SIDE

1 Like

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 22, 2015
They basically see the rest of the world as their colonies. Even the name Nigeria(Nigga area)was given to us by them.
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by sugarson1(m): 1:07pm On Sep 22, 2015
pansophist:
In the lexicon of human migration there are still hierarchical words, created with the purpose of putting white people above everyone else. One of those remnants is the word “expat”

What is an expat? And who is an expat? According to Wikipedia, “an expatriate (often shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person’s upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex (‘out of’) and patria (‘country, fatherland’)”.

Defined that way, you should expect that any person going to work outside of his or her country for a period of time would be an expat, regardless of his skin colour or country. But that is not the case in reality; expat is a term reserved exclusively for western white people going to work abroad.

Africans are immigrants. Arabs are immigrants. Asians are immigrants. However, Europeans are expats because they can’t be at the same level as other ethnicities. They are superior. Immigrants is a term set aside for ‘inferior races’.

Don’t take my word for it. The Wall Street Journal, the leading financial information magazine in the world, has a blog dedicated to the life of expats and recently they featured a story ‘Who is an expat, anyway?’. Here are the main conclusions: “Some arrivals are described as expats; others as immigrants; and some simply as migrants. It depends on social class, country of origin and economic status. It’s strange to hear some people in Hong Kong described as expats, but not others. Anyone with roots in a western country is considered an expat … Filipino domestic helpers are just guests, even if they’ve been here for decades. Mandarin-speaking mainland Chinese are rarely regarded as expats … It’s a double standard woven into official policy.”

The reality is the same in Africa and Europe. Top African professionals going to work in Europe are not considered expats. They are immigrants. Period. “I work for multinational organisations both in the private and public sectors. And being black or coloured doesn’t gain me the term “expat”. I’m a highly qualified immigrant, as they call me, to be politically correct,” says an African migrant worker.

Most white people deny that they enjoy the privileges of a racist system. And why not? But our responsibility is to point out and to deny them these privileges, directly related to an outdated supremacist ideology. If you see those “expats” in Africa, call them immigrants like everyone else. If that hurts their white superiority, they can jump in the air and stay there. The political deconstruction of this outdated worldview must continue.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2015/mar/13/white-people-expats-immigrants-migration?CMP=fb_gu
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Rb53: 1:08pm On Sep 22, 2015
An Expatriate plans to go back to his own country while an Immigrant plans to stay

3 Likes

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by abbey621(m): 1:08pm On Sep 22, 2015
pansophist:

Well said!

I think its a nationality thing. For example even some group of white people are seen as immigrants too in the western world (e.g non western Europeans like Polish, Bulgaria, Ukraine etc), its apparent in the UK and `ireland, to name a few. If youre are from a 1st world country, its very easy to escape the ''immigrant'' label.

There have never be a situation of mass immigration of westerners to Africa (or to a 3rd world country) and for the past 60 years, its has always been a diametrical opposite quotidian event. An American for example can easily be perceived as an Expat because to most, its very preposterous to immigrate to Africa.

In the western world, the label of the word ''immigrant'' usually mean migrating for a better life and most of the non western migrant fit into this category, thats just the underlying truth. The handful (if not majority) of the Western workers in Nigeria are Expats, not immgrants. They are not here to look for a job, descend so low to jobs most natives will not like to do, thats the difference, although I recognise that not all Africans fit into the category of an immigrant.

This is the most intelligent post I've read today, it's like you took the words right out of my mouth. Excellent analysis!
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by anonimi: 1:10pm On Sep 22, 2015
Because we are a very POOR society that has contributed almost NOTHING to modern life and mentally LAZY hence prefer to invade the white man's rich land.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by koife(m): 1:10pm On Sep 22, 2015
Last time I was onboard NLNG vessel for dry docking in ferrol Spain....dude in the community and dock yard were visibly surprised how a black man was able to relate and act quite nicely. They refused calling me an expat tho....probably because they thought I was black. I think its a matter of superiority complex undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Intrepid01(m): 1:11pm On Sep 22, 2015
I just checked Oxford dictionary, Expatriate and Immigrant have different meanings.
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by SomebodyLovesMe: 1:11pm On Sep 22, 2015
TLOTRS:
This is a very nice article. Its high time we Africans especially put the white supremacist in their right position. If I am an immigrant in their own country, they have to be immigrants in mine too, not expats.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Every citizen of the world must be treated with equality.

Perception matters a lot. Perception has a lot to do with image. Africa needs to improve her image - everything else will fall into place.

It is not enough to demand respect; it has to be earned. Africa needs to demonstrate to the world that she doesn't need them - they need her.

When Africans stop trooping to Western nations, when Africa stops receiving aid from Western nations, when there are no queues at embassies of Western nations in Africa, when Africa becomes a place where Africans and Westerners alike aspire to live in, you will find that Africans will be called 'expats' when we move to the West, because it will become apparent that we are not there because we have to be, but because we choose to be.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:12pm On Sep 22, 2015
"If that hurts their white superiority, they can jump in the air and stay there."

Hahahahaha i love this sentence grin
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by ellachuku: 1:13pm On Sep 22, 2015
bqlekan:
the original statement was from Mugabe... which I tagged

Ok.
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by chineloSA(f): 1:15pm On Sep 22, 2015
Rb53:
An Expatriate plans to go back to his own country while an Immigrant plans to stay

Spot on.

1 Like

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Sep 22, 2015
Let's kill them all!
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by cecegorz(m): 1:19pm On Sep 22, 2015
Well, in my understanding, Expats are usually skilled professionals brought in (usually legally) by Companies and these ones often return to their home country as soon as they lose interest in the new environment while Immigrants are skilled workers that came in by themselves, legally or illegally for greener pastures.
On the other hand, migrants are hustlers- no skill, no education, sometimes criminally minded who are coming in because of hunger and deprivation from their home countries
My 2cents...

1 Like

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by dustydee: 1:19pm On Sep 22, 2015
pansophist:
In the lexicon of human migration there are still hierarchical words, created with the purpose of putting white people above everyone else. One of those remnants is the word “expat”

What is an expat? And who is an expat? According to Wikipedia, “an expatriate (often shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person’s upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex (‘out of’) and patria (‘country, fatherland’)”.

Defined that way, you should expect that any person going to work outside of his or her country for a period of time would be an expat, regardless of his skin colour or country. But that is not the case in reality; expat is a term reserved exclusively for western white people going to work abroad.

Africans are immigrants. Arabs are immigrants. Asians are immigrants. However, Europeans are expats because they can’t be at the same level as other ethnicities. They are superior. Immigrants is a term set aside for ‘inferior races’.

Don’t take my word for it. The Wall Street Journal, the leading financial information magazine in the world, has a blog dedicated to the life of expats and recently they featured a story ‘Who is an expat, anyway?’. Here are the main conclusions: “Some arrivals are described as expats; others as immigrants; and some simply as migrants. It depends on social class, country of origin and economic status. It’s strange to hear some people in Hong Kong described as expats, but not others. Anyone with roots in a western country is considered an expat … Filipino domestic helpers are just guests, even if they’ve been here for decades. Mandarin-speaking mainland Chinese are rarely regarded as expats … It’s a double standard woven into official policy.”

The reality is the same in Africa and Europe. Top African professionals going to work in Europe are not considered expats. They are immigrants. Period. “I work for multinational organisations both in the private and public sectors. And being black or coloured doesn’t gain me the term “expat”. I’m a highly qualified immigrant, as they call me, to be politically correct,” says an African migrant worker.

Most white people deny that they enjoy the privileges of a racist system. And why not? But our responsibility is to point out and to deny them these privileges, directly related to an outdated supremacist ideology. If you see those “expats” in Africa, call them immigrants like everyone else. If that hurts their white superiority, they can jump in the air and stay there. The political deconstruction of this outdated worldview must continue.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2015/mar/13/white-people-expats-immigrants-migration?CMP=fb_gu
While I largely agree with you, please note that most of the Africans moving to Europe or the west to work are not only there to work but to live there permanently or to obtain citizenship of those countries. That makes them immigrants. On the other hand most westerner that work in say Nigeria do not necessarily want to take up Nigerian Citizenship.
For those that are on intercompany transfer or pure there to work for a short period of time, I see no reason why they should be referred to as immigrants even though that is often the case.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Ezeego1(m): 1:23pm On Sep 22, 2015
Racism Killer speech by Zimbabwe President
Robert Mugabe: “Racism will never end as long as
white cars are stil using black tyres. Racism will never end if people still
use black to symbolise bad luck and
white for peace. Racism will never end if people still
wear white clothes to weddings and
black clothes to funerals. Racism will never end as long as
those who don’t pay their bills are
blacklisted not white listed. Even when playing snooker. You
haven’t won until you’ve sunk the
black ball, and the white ball must
remain on the table. But I don’t care, as long as I’m sitting
my black ass on a white closet and
still using white toilet paper to wipe my black ass I’m happy.... (Quote) (Report) 4 Likes (Like) 2 Shares (Share)
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Bluffly: 1:25pm On Sep 22, 2015
pansophist:

No one can make you inferior unless you permit it. When they come to Nigeria, lets also refer them as Immigrants and not expat. Moreover, Let the truth be said, how can they be invited to build our roads for us, 80% of what we used is from there, Engineering is from there, why won't they do yanga. Every day we have people travelling out to study engineering from in the western world only to come back and become a liability. Nothing superb that we started from scratch or took it up from a point and made it absolutely Nigerian.
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by oluezekiel(m): 1:25pm On Sep 22, 2015
bqlekan:
Racism

Killer speech by Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe:

“Racism will never end as long as white cars are stil using black tyres.

Racism will never end if people still use black to symbolise bad luck and white for peace.

Racism will never end if people still wear white clothes to weddings and black clothes to funerals.

Racism will never end as long as those who don’t pay their bills are blacklisted not white listed.

Even when playing snooker. You haven’t won until you’ve sunk the black ball, and the white ball must remain on the table.

But I don’t care, as long as I’m sitting my black ass on a white closet and still using white toilet paper to wipe my black ass I’m happy.... grin grin grin
Very funny...
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Hardeybohwarley(m): 1:28pm On Sep 22, 2015
If they like may then called themselves citizen of iyr country I don't care as long as I use A WHITE TISSUE PAPER TO CLEAN MY BLACK ASS....in Mugabe's voice
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by macof(m): 1:28pm On Sep 22, 2015
Very dumb topic. Expats or immigrants, both words refer to people in the same situation
So whites don't like the word "immigrants" and you call them "Expatriates" if you don't like that simply start calling them "immigrants" like they call you and case closed
No need bringing racism into this

So because Whites like the word "expatriate" for themselves. .it is now a superior word that black man must obtain. ..nonsense

1 Like

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by adwem2003(m): 1:31pm On Sep 22, 2015
Because they're coming from a developed country and we are coming from third world country.
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by ooshinibos: 1:33pm On Sep 22, 2015
it is becos we have not build a stable black nation where tourism and business can flourish and where there is evident of security for citizen and visitors , there is no respect for black people ( we don't even respect ourselves ) ...I not even going to mention the lack of infrastructure and decent living that we failed to materialized even after independence ... our black nation is not an attractive place to visit , we that come do so because we have family in Africa ...I know most people will not agree but you cannot proof me wrong .
Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Sep 22, 2015
This is a white man's world. They are not too many peasants among them like most of us. Accept the fact they are coming to your country in the form of epiphany. At least, that is what has been projected to us all. That is the reality of what the world has become.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by rapmike(m): 1:36pm On Sep 22, 2015
Its because Africans have inferiority complex in relation to these 'civilized' countries. The names are even still manageable, what about the way they are treated? In Nigeria a white man is worshiped, even after independence. You think that's a lie? Then ask yourself how American or European journalists get the most secret news about policies in this country before our own journalists. Ask why Indians and Lebanese who may not be as qualified in technical jobs as some of our poly graduates get juicy contracts ahead of our own. Watch how white people are treated in this country compared to our own. In South Africa that recently erupted in Xenophobia, a candid question is: how many whites were killed? None. How many other Africans? Many. So what are we saying here? We have inferiority complex.

1 Like

Re: Why Are White People ''expats'' When The Rest Of Us Are ''immigrants''? by Empiree: 1:42pm On Sep 22, 2015
TLOTRS:

They do not believe in equality but superiority., period.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fire Engulfs Overland Airways Aircraft At Lagos Airport / Dana Airplane Veers Off Lagos Airport Runway / Visa Exempt Countries For US, UK and Schengen Permit Holders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.