Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview (39208 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's Make-Up Advert On London Billboard (Photo) / Chimamanda Adichie Makes Vanity Fair List Of International Best Dressed / Chimamanda Adichie And Her Husband Welcomed A Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by lalasticlala(m): 6:23pm On Mar 21, 2015
In a new interview with Olisa.tv, award winning writer, Chimamanda Adichie speaks about a misunderstanding with writer Elnathan John. Elnathan is a writer from Kaduna who is famous for his quips on Twitter and well recognized for his satirical pieces on his blog. In this interview, Chimamanda talks about the source of the misunderstanding. Here is an excerpt from the interview;

[b]Before Binya’s declaration, there was another big controversy surrounding the Caine Prize and your statement about it not being the true representation of African writing. One of your workshop attendees who insiders say you gave a lot of support was in the middle of the Caine Prize uproar. You’ve never talked about this, I am sure people want to know what you think about that incident.

I remember I was at home when a friend came by and saw me having dinner with family and friends and he said – ah you are here laughing and eating while they are talking about you online. I remember later being amused because I thought: so now I’m not supposed to eat?

I asked him what was going on and he told me that this person who had been at my workshop the year before had written a misogynistic, insulting piece about me because he was angry that I had referred to him as ‘one of my boys at the workshop’ in an interview. I was very surprised.

First, I have to give some background: This person applied to my workshop and was accepted. I was interested in one of the early pieces he wrote at the workshop, which was about homosexuality and was progressive in tone. He was from the North and I have always particularly wanted to support writers from the North because I think we don’t have as many stories coming from Northern Nigeria as we do from Southern Nigeria and if we are going to make any sense of Nigeria as a nation, we need more stories. More human stories, not just check-the-box journalism. Especially from the minorities in the North, because it is easy to think of the North as one huge monolith.

So it was the major reason I chose to support him. I remember telling him at the workshop that a lot of his work was about provoking for the sake of provoking which I thought was hollow. He seemed more focused on the response he could elicit than on the integrity of the story he was telling.

I also remember that he often acted very superior to the other workshop participants in a way that was unpleasant. As far as I was concerned, if you choose to apply to a workshop that I am teaching, then you are a student like everyone else. And all the students are there because they have talent, you can learn from anyone and you really should save your superiority until you have actually published something worthwhile.

Anyway, after the workshop, another workshop alum sent me a story that this person had written, which the alum thought I should see because it was good. I also thought it was good. So I took my time, read it and sent this person an email saying he needed to make some edits but that I thought he should get it published. Time passed. He wrote me from time to time. I did not always reply because I am often overwhelmed and am quite terrible with emails. But I wrote back a few times, to send him my good wishes, to encourage him to keep writing, that sort of thing. His emails were always very polite. Mine were always warm and encouraging. He sent me a collection of stories that he had finished writing. I then decided to introduce him to my agent.

[s]That is some serious compliment, if I may say so.
[/s]
I certainly don’t do it often. And by the way, I don’t do it anymore. I asked my agent to please contact him and to look at his collection. She read his stories and thought he still needed to do some more work on them. The idea was that if he revised them or wrote something else, he would send to her. He now had the possibility of being represented by one of the best literary agents in the world. For this story to continue making sense, we have to go back to another story about natural hair.

Are they related? I mean, does the natural hair controversy have any bearing on the ‘one of my boys at the workshop’ controversy…

Well, yes, because it was the last communication I had with this person before he turned into an attack dog. After somebody put out that headline about weaves and low self-esteem, I was told that people were tweeting this quote that I had never said, and that this person had tweeted it as well.

So I wrote to him and told him I expected better from him, that I was disappointed he would join a bandwagon in repeating what I never said. I expected that somebody like him would be astute enough to go and read the actual interview.

He wrote back and was very apologetic, effusively apologetic, and said he had not actually been referring to me and that his tweets had been misunderstood. I believed him.

That was the last communication I had with him. Which is why I was astonished to hear, later, that he had written this attack piece about how I had called him ‘boy’ in an interview. He knew that there was no way I meant ‘boy’ in a demeaning way. It was a playful and affectionate way of saying that he was a protégé of sorts. Which at the time he was.

This was somebody I had been helpful to and supportive of. This is somebody who once knelt down in front of me as a greeting, in public, to show how grateful he was for my support. He didn’t have to write a public attack piece, he could have written me himself if he genuinely minded the ‘boy.’ I don’t often use the word immoral but I think what he did was immoral.

What he wrote was apparently so full of ugly innuendo that people said to me that there must be some “back story.” There was of course no “back story.”

Some of my friends told me that I should release all the emails I had ever exchanged with him. Because to anyone who saw those emails, seeing that he had spent months being (in hindsight) falsely extra-nice and borderline sycophantic, it would be obvious that his ‘outrage’ about being called boy was a cynical attempt to grab attention for himself. But I decided against it. It just wasn’t worth the emotional energy. I also didn’t want to feel that I had to ‘open’ my private space because of this person’s cynical action.

I cannot blame the public for their response. To be honest if I were an observer I think I too would have taken on that outrage of ‘how dare she call him boy.’ I used to automatically think that there was virtue in the non-famous person and vice in the famous person. If you read the interview in which I referred to him as ‘one of my boys’ in its proper context and with an open mind, it is clear that I am being very pro Nigerian nationalist and also mocking Nigerian nationalism at the same time. But I can easily see how people would take on an outrage. We live in an age of easy shallow outrage. It’s a case of ‘what is the twitter outrage of the day?’ Many people don’t even read the original article that is being referenced before they join the outrage bandwagon. And remember the source of outrage was not my actual referring to him as ‘one of my boys’ but his own piece about it. I am sure many people read his piece and so I can’t blame them at all for then attacking me. I am told he referred to me as a cocoyam of some sort. An unfortunate choice of metaphors, by the way. I had hoped he might have learned better at my workshop.[/b]

http://www.360nobs.com/2015/03/chimamanda-adichie-hits-at-writer-elnathan-in-new-interview/

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Airforce1(m): 6:26pm On Mar 21, 2015
Nne continue the good work you're doing

I love you

But president jonathan loves you more

God bless my president

Fresh air till 2019

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 21, 2015
Airforce1:
Nne continue the good work you're doing

I love you

But president jonathan loves you more

God bless my president

Fresh air till 2019
What's this one saying? undecided

114 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Mynd44: 6:35pm On Mar 21, 2015
Wait, this is stale na.

It happened last week(week before probably) on Twitter, Elnathan made some Cocoyam analogy cheesy it resulted in a mini twitfight bla bla bla.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 21, 2015
U expect me to read all these? Mbanu.

19 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 6:47pm On Mar 21, 2015
My big time role model.

One, out of many things that's synonymous with both of us is that we fear no man. tongue

13 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by TheSonOfMark(m): 6:49pm On Mar 21, 2015
EroticAngelina:
U expect me to read all these? Mbanu.

Ofcourse you wouldn't. Judging from comments like yours, identifying the infamous ubiquity of featherbrained gyno-humanoids such as yourself is a stroll in a park.

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by DrLee(m): 6:52pm On Mar 21, 2015
i don't want to know what Elnathan did o. I just like this lady smiley

15 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Bosville(m): 7:01pm On Mar 21, 2015
I was here
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Airforce1(m): 7:03pm On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:
My big time role model.

One, out of many things that's synonymous with both of us is that we fear no man. tongue

Man break your heart?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 21, 2015
Airforce1:

Man break your heart?
Other way round.

You guys aren't in a class with my handbag not to talk about breaking my heart. undecided

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by siegfried99(m): 7:06pm On Mar 21, 2015
grin grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Airforce1(m): 7:08pm On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:

Other way round.

You guys aren't in a class with my handbag not to talk about breaking my heart. undecided

hehehehhehehehe cheesy cheesy cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 7:08pm On Mar 21, 2015
First of all, Elnathan can do no wrong in my eyes...

Chimamanda, be careful!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Misogynist2014(m): 7:31pm On Mar 21, 2015
I have apathy for her.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 7:36pm On Mar 21, 2015
Misogynist2014:
I have apathy for her.
She doesn't care.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 7:41pm On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:
My big time role model.

You feeling like a feminist

what has that got to do with the post

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Misogynist2014(m): 7:44pm On Mar 21, 2015
FrancisTony:

What's this one saying? undecided
cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 21, 2015
Alexpissu:

You feeling like a feminist

what has that got to do with the post
If e pain you, drink an acid.

7 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Misogynist2014(m): 7:44pm On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:
She doesn't care.
I know

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Misogynist2014(m): 7:47pm On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:
My big time role model.

I think you should join the military to fight bokoharam. Men are dying to protect you over there, that is where strong women live. Do you have brothers? It is better directing your frustration at them. kiss

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 7:50pm On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:

If e pain you, drink an acid.

You just having the radical notion that you lack foresight

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 7:55pm On Mar 21, 2015
Misogynist2014:
I think you should join the military to fight bokoharam. Men are dying to protect you over there, that is where strong women live. Do you have brothers? It is better directing your frustration at them. kiss
and your username says, "Misogynist".

Care to direct yours at your sisters. kisskiss

15 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Misogynist2014(m): 8:01pm On Mar 21, 2015
Vickybee:

and your username says, "Misogynist".

Care to direct yours at your sisters. kisskiss
I'm a satirist, not a slave of passion and emotions. kiss

46 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 8:15pm On Mar 21, 2015
Misogynist2014:
cheesy
Oga Ade, how is your popsy side chick? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Misogynist2014(m): 8:18pm On Mar 21, 2015
FrancisTony:

Oga Ade, how is your popsy side chick? cheesy
Oh! I edited it, It was my parents' carpenter. You could see I wrote parents' but didn't complete it.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Nobody: 8:21pm On Mar 21, 2015
Misogynist2014:
Oh! I edited it, It was my parents' carpenter. You could see I wrote parents' but didn't complete it.
Indeed grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by daveP(m): 8:22pm On Mar 21, 2015
All i kept coming across as i read was email, email and emailer and boy....

Chima should please come up in some positive news when nxt i hear her pls. embarassed

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Misogynist2014(m): 8:27pm On Mar 21, 2015
FrancisTony:

Indeed grin
I didn't edit it, I only quoted and commented on it. Its there to go over. You think I'm dumb enough to write such? YOU ARE A VERY GENIUS GUY. kiss

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by emperorchedda(m): 8:29pm On Mar 21, 2015
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview by Misogynist2014(m): 8:30pm On Mar 21, 2015
How can someone in her right mind call a fellow human 'boy'?! She must be very silly. Her billions worth of property and trillions of fans have gone into her beautiful and One in a million brain.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"365": A Novelette / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 85th Birthday: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Him / A Girl Called Fib & The Axe Of Fury

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.