Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,968 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? (48243 Views)

3 Best Reasons Why An Android Phone Is Better Than An iPhone / Is Buying And Using Iphone In Nigeria A Waste Of Fund Or Wise Venture? / What Are The Prons And Cons Of Non-removable Smartphones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 11:28pm On Mar 21, 2015
I intend purchasing an Iphone, preferably 5s. I would like to ask Nairalanders who own, owned an Iphone or any Apple device to please give me a run down of how an Apple device work in a Nigerian environment.

Does network capability/signal matter a lot?

To fully utilize the features and functions in it,does it ALWAYS require internet connection?

The battery strength? ( 5s owners are more needed here)

Read and heard about its limitations such as Bluetooth pairing with non-Apple devices. Does it allow for a Bluetooth pairing with say, HTC_ONE_M8?

What about WIFI, HOTSPOT? Tethers with a non-mac computer, Android devices?

The OS, how user friendly? Are most of the apps PAID FOR/BOUGHT? I know it has less free apps compared to Android, but will everything be buy buy buy. For instance a basic app like Whatsapp was at a point under the paid app category.

I currently use the HTC ONE M8, not leaving Android in the near future, but would love to use the Iphone 'cos of

* The design. One of the most beautiful phones I have ever seen. A reason I got the HTC.

* The exclusivity of it, rarely seen. It is a statement . Just like the HTC too.

* To enjoy and have a feel of the IOS. and many more.

Ironically, I was one of Apple biggest haters grin, criticised the price, prison-like limitations, warranty status { Slot is not helping matters}. And which network is more suitable for it? LTE things.

I would appreciate positive comments and constructive criticisms.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:12am On Mar 22, 2015
Booking space shaaa
If it were Samsung or Lumia, I woulda surely helped buh Apple? Still a critic :-)

Modified : I have stopped my trashing of Apple or any other and accept to receive tech with open arms. grin
Lumia don fall ma hands shaa. sad
Tecno na still beans. cheesy

ReModified: Infinix is just bae. Zero 4/4 Plus, Note 3 and Hot S are sexy stunners.
Tecno Phantom 6/Plus is a beautiful beast.

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Suntemi(m): 4:31am On Mar 22, 2015
Brother, iOS is the most user friendly mobile OS, even a granny can easily operate it. And there are so many free apps. You don't have to buy every basic apps

You need Internet access to fully enjoy an iPhone. Why would you even buy a smartphone without access to Internet.

Coming from Android, iPhone 5s battery will amaze you.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:34am On Mar 22, 2015
See how u just want to buy wahala!I was using an iphone 5 I got as a gift which I had to sell!I laugh at you in greek if after all I wil say,you still decide to get the 5s!.I'll start with the pros-1.it is a small cute phone.I love the design and size.
2.It is an overhyped and annoyingly overpriced phone which makes it command respect.You can't see jst anyone using it.when u are out and people will be like 'wow,you use an iphone?' And u say 'yep'( with u smiling internally),that's as good as it gets!
Cons-
1.You can't use bluetooth.you hear a nice song playing or u intend getting a picture.brother,you can't use bluetooth o!except its a transfer from iphone to iphone.now how many people wwud own an iphone where u work or sch?
2.You can't download songs,videos,pdf files...in fact anything from d internet.yes..so if u love free music don't bother!I remember I had to buy ed sheeran's bloodstream and thinking out loud songs from itunes for like 400 naira after d naira got devalued.the frustration I felt that day eh!
3.when u buy it,u can't just add your favourite songs o..u need the itunes app on ur pc to sync the songs into ur phone..if u r foolish enough to give it to slot guys to add songs for u,that's ur doom.The day u get your own itunes app on ur pc,all the previous songs and videos not synced with ur apple I'd will be wiped!
4.The appstore is the crappiest av seen after that of windows os..for files over 100mb,you wud need wifi or no download!you must upgrade to the latest ios 8 or you can't download some apps!once you are on ios 8,you can't downgrade it or jailbreak ur iphone!you see?
5.Many of the fun stuffs on it are better enjoyed in u.s eg hv u seen someone using imessage in nigeria?nada!
There are many more cons in buying an iphone..bt let me stop here!now the decision is yours to make.

236 Likes 12 Shares

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 6:42am On Mar 22, 2015
Thanks Blackbeau. Suntemi is an Apple retailer, it's expected.

Keep the comments rolling.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Warlord3000(m): 7:07am On Mar 22, 2015
There is only one CON that I know wink

The truth be say na LACK OF DATA go kill you cheesy

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:25am On Mar 22, 2015
@Op For the music and files transfer, You can download iphone xender or file share! You can collect any tin u need with dose app except App! I use two iphone, 5 and 5s•• The only Con is that, lack of Data!! There are some stuff I really wanted to do wit my phone but no data,

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 7:37am On Mar 22, 2015
Thanks Oshan. Where did you download yours?

And could please give a summarised review of the 5s?
Thanks once again.

Keep it rolling.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Chuukwudi(m): 7:56am On Mar 22, 2015
iPhone is for the classy well educated big men, Android is for a sharp well educated vibrant youth like me. I just don't know how to say it, Android is open source, iphone has high security and is restricted to alot of things.

14 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:19am On Mar 22, 2015
I forgot to add,iphone is a data consuming device!andriod dey learn sef!in a month,when I checked my data usage,I discovered system services alone used 180mb!well,who no go no know..av been there done that!am using a blackberry now and I hv peace of mind.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Doortun(m): 8:22am On Mar 22, 2015
iPhone is only good for taking awesome selfies. That's why narcissists and most ladies who are e-social use it. You might just garbage your andriod after taking picture with iPhone. Other than that, it is just an overpriced gadget.

9 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by fr3do(m): 8:59am On Mar 22, 2015
Rocking my S4 jejely

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by imsuboi(m): 9:50am On Mar 22, 2015
Blaqbeauty, you're speaking out of ignorance.

OP, prior to when I got my iPhone5c by late June 2014, I used to be a blackberry fan boy.

There's nothing you would say to me to convince me an iPhone is better than a blackberry! Nothing o!

But since I got this device, I've been rolling. wink

Na battery life? E dey!
Processor speed? E dey!
Picture quality? E dey!
Music delivery (sound effects and all)? E dey!
Swag? E too plenty! grin

+ it's super easy to operate.
Anyone that can't use an iOS device is simply dull. Ultra, uber, super dull! undecided

Upgrading from any device you currently make use of to iOS, is like upgrading from driving a Keke(tricycle) to cruising in a gold plated Bugatti Veyron! (Yes I said it! Quote me anywhere)

[size=20pt]iOS is King cool
[/size]

***edited

I have the whole Wikipedia offline. Which android device can handle that? undecided

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by dulux07(m): 10:31am On Mar 22, 2015
Black beauty never said bb is better than iphone, she simply means a bb is more economical.

Iphone is jst overhyped, tho its very durable, user friendly fast n secured. Its physically rugged, but not internally rugged. there r better high end android phones.

Someone said its like upgradin frm keke to bugatti, probably he has been usin vry cheap fones bfor, coz i was once an iphone user bfor, i dont see anything xtraordinary about d phone.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by joe17: 11:10am On Mar 22, 2015
imsuboi:
Blaqbeauty, you're speaking out of ignorance.

OP, prior to when I got my iPhone5c by late June 2014, I used to be a blackberry fan boy.

There's nothing you would say to me to convince me an iPhone is better than a blackberry! Nothing o!

But since I got this device, I've been rolling. wink

Na battery life? E dey!
Processor speed? E dey!
Picture quality? E dey!
Music delivery (sound effects and all)? E dey!
Swag? E too plenty! grin

+ it's super easy to operate.
Anyone that can't use an iOS device is simply dull. Ultra, uber, super dull! undecided

Upgrading from any device you currently make use of to iOS, is like upgrading from driving a Keke(tricycle) to cruising in a gold plated Bugatti Veyron! (Yes I said it! Quote me anywhere)

[size=20pt]iOS is King cool
[/size]

7 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 11:53am On Mar 22, 2015
Imsu boi would be a very poor marketer.

You didn't even give a lil run down of how a typical iPhone operates. You no try at all.

12 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by xcitedjay(m): 5:16pm On Mar 22, 2015

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by dazekid(m): 5:48pm On Mar 22, 2015
OP the fact of the matter is that if your reasons for buying an iPhone are exclusively what you stated in your OP, then you are bound to not like it. Most people here on nairaland and anywhere else that would openly criticize an iPhone have simply not used one and the ones that have and still do probably were limited by things such as data and native tweakability. In my opinion, if you wan use iPhone wella for Naija, you gat geek at some point coz Nigerians like free things and apple does not so you end up looking for ways around different things.
Now iPhones themselves are generally more durable than other phones and that's a fact, my iPhone 3GS that I had had for years just packed up a few months ago and that was because it encountered a terrible drop that led to a problem on the board, if I switch that out, the phone is back again(PS the iPhone 3GS was released in 2009). Not to mention that you get iOS updates steady, imagine an iPhone 4s still getting iOS updates and that phone was released in 2011, I would like to see an android phone from the same year run android 5.0.
If you are not scared to jailbreak, maneuver the file system a little bit and well, be a pirate, then you just as well might stick with Android as the M8 is a pretty good device and this is the reason why a lot of Nigerians have qualms with iphone as well, not forgetting their prices.
By the way OP, I use a LG G2 and until yesterday a blackberry q10 as my main phones and also currently have an iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s all in my possession for sale so you can be sure I know exactly what I am saying.
You should probably get ahold of an iPhone 5s and use it for a bit before making your decision, but I hope you make the right one wink wink wink

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Maczeelly(m): 7:40pm On Mar 22, 2015
Its Rocks

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by neweraomo: 7:42pm On Mar 22, 2015
I will ask my master... oga at the top
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by bananaboi(m): 7:42pm On Mar 22, 2015
IPHONES ROCK, that's what I am currently using. Banana plated.

If you have any problem with that keep rocking your tecno
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 7:42pm On Mar 22, 2015
Thanks davekid. I'm someone who browse a lot. I'm not for jailbreaking nor rooting of phones.

Sha..... One of my reasons is the exclusivity.

And another thing is that Nigerian stores don't allow one to go through a phone for at least an hour before the purchase.

Front page..... grin grin grin grin. Throwing a party. Lol

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Bonapart(m): 7:45pm On Mar 22, 2015
Just by passing
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Mar 22, 2015
fr3do:
Rocking my S4 jejely
haha s4 things jor. We together here.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by coldsummer: 7:45pm On Mar 22, 2015
If u like too many free apps (unpaid) iPhome isn't for u. Get Samsung. I've d two devices.

Battery of apple is great.

Their Bluetooth keeps malice wit all others.

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by idris4r83(m): 7:46pm On Mar 22, 2015
The truth is that you have not started using a phone unless you are using an iphone. Only iphone users will understand what am talking about. Am a phone freak and I've used so many phones name it samsung galaxy s3, s4, and their flagship s5, htc one m7, htc one m8 but none can take the place of an iphone5s.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by spaggyy(m): 7:48pm On Mar 22, 2015
[size=20pt]rocking my samsung galaxy note 4 in style[/size]
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Mar 22, 2015
I used my 6+ on Smile WiFi and it worked flawlessly.

My unlocked 5s had issues on Glo data for some reason.

I had to constantly relog on to iCloud and there was no option for a hotspot.

Try to stretch up to a 6 if you can.

I'm completely pro Apple and have all their devices except for the server, yet.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by ebubey(f): 7:50pm On Mar 22, 2015
gat nafn to say cry
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Mar 22, 2015
I'm following this thread.

Like the OP...I too am looking to get a phone.....hopefully next month...and while I was not thinking of an I-phone...it does sound interesting.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Check Your NIN Status & View Unknown Numbers Linked To Your NIN / Olla V9 Pro Unboxing & Review - N32,000 Budget Phone With A Punch-hole (photos) / I Bought This FIL Power Bank That Look Like A Phone Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.