Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,608 members, 7,781,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 30 March 2024 at 05:59 AM

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? (48192 Views)

3 Best Reasons Why An Android Phone Is Better Than An iPhone / Is Buying And Using Iphone In Nigeria A Waste Of Fund Or Wise Venture? / What Are The Prons And Cons Of Non-removable Smartphones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by lebete3000: 8:30pm On Mar 22, 2015
khaygecube:

its possible to have a device n not knw wat u'r carrying...if u'r a lady,no offence,but once it goes beyond making calls n whatsapp or bbm,u dnt really care abt oda tins.
There are cute apps on iphone dat u cn download videos from for free,u can even recieve videos and songs,pictures through flash share,u can quote me without jail breaking...bros iphone is a very nice phone if u like challenge...thats my take.

That means d oda person must have flashshare den
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by lolaxavier(m): 8:30pm On Mar 22, 2015
Nsonaso:

As a Pro in both iOS and Android OS
and currently using iPhone 5s on iOS 8.2, HTC One M7 Dual SIM and GiONEE M2
iPhone battery == I charge it every day some times twice a day as

I like everything about iphone except the battery life. I use iphone 5 and sincerely, I have to charge and charge and charge. The battery drains so fast....

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by primeson1(m): 8:32pm On Mar 22, 2015
ednut1:
90% of pple in my office use iphone 6. dat cost 160-180k . dats whole month salary. all dey do wit it take selfie. talk to siri nd complain of data. my 25k tecno rocks jare. u go buy fone. 65% of its functions u wont use. sucks

Oga I sight u o.... Am rocking my innjoo note jare.... Switching to jiayu s3 later....

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by dyabman(m): 8:37pm On Mar 22, 2015
I'm on iPhone 6 now after series of 3G , 4s, 5 and now 6 .. For its pretty much okay for me. grin
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by M14A1: 8:37pm On Mar 22, 2015
Stay away from apple if you can't afford data.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by nishola17(f): 8:37pm On Mar 22, 2015
Well I use an iphone5s, the camera is superb, apps splendid,games fabulous but you lld need wifi often or a lotta data cos of upgrading apps and OS often .
Its a phone really, it just has restrictions and its data consuming
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by nishola17(f): 8:37pm On Mar 22, 2015
Well I use an iphone5s, the camera is superb, apps splendid,games fabulous but you lld need wifi often or a lotta data cos of upgrading apps and OS often .
Its a nice phone really, it just has restrictions and its data consuming

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by initialize(m): 8:39pm On Mar 22, 2015
Don't waste your Money

Come and buy Jiayu S3 Advance with 3GB RAM/16GB ROM for #51,000

That's my suggestion.... I know its worth every naira.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Rick9(m): 8:41pm On Mar 22, 2015
Any phone that doesn't guarantee's me steady access to the internet I can't use it oh.
Cos am an internet freak. Love my Blackberry Oh.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Deyinka007: 8:42pm On Mar 22, 2015
I've used Apple, left it, back on it, left it, then back again. The last time I left was in 2012 and these are the reasons I vowed never to divorce her again.

1. Stability of the platform: the term "it just works" is not a nay saying, it's actually true. An iPhone 4S (2011) rarely lags on an 2014 IOS 8.. Apple are masters at bending and tweaking their OS to get the maximum out of the hard ware.. What's the camera MP of the iPhone 5S? 8MP. Yet you see it beasting competitions with 200MPs out there. And that's just one example. What's a lag on iOS ?

2. Over all quality of AppStore Apps: I currently use an iPhone and a Nexus (As it is the purest Android you can get out there)... The difference in the quality of Apps is very noticeable! Even Google owned apps like Chrome, Google +, Gmail etc... Much more fuild and .. It's just better.

3. Support: You can be sure of at least 3 years worth of official OS upgrade.. Most manufacturers out there abandon their shit after the second year.

4. Be Important: Remember when Instagram was exclusive to the iPhone's? Vine App? Even Apple got the official Twitter app way before other platforms did.

5. Security. The platform is very secured, if you lost your phone after properly setting it up, worst that can happen is it'd be useless to you and the thief. Same can't be said about Androids, all it takes is just 30 seconds wink...

The above are just some few points I can get off my head this time. Good luck wth your new phone.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Rawani: 8:44pm On Mar 22, 2015
With these 28 tiles, I conquer the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by tomiobj(m): 8:46pm On Mar 22, 2015
U nneeed a lot........trust me. I mean A FUCKING LOT of data to fully enjoy ur iphone. Cos of icloud itunnes nd oda things. Personally I think d battery is ok (plus u cn get a poowebank case that is a case that acts as an Xtra battery) but generally pplle say d battery is horrible. Even samsung callls iphone users wall huggers.
Gerrard59:
I intend purchasing an Iphone, preferably 5s. I would like to ask Nairalanders who own, owned an Iphone or any Apple device to please give me a run down of how an Apple device work in a Nigerian environment.

Does network capability/signal matter a lot?

To fully utilize the features and functions in it,does it ALWAYS require internet connection?

The battery strength? ( 5s owners are more needed here)

Read and heard about its limitations such as Bluetooth pairing with non-Apple devices. Does it allow for a Bluetooth pairing with say, HTC_ONE_M8?

What about WIFI, HOTSPOT? Tethers with a non-mac computer, Android devices?

The OS, how user friendly? Are most of the apps PAID FOR/BOUGHT? I know it has less free apps compared to Android, but will everything be buy buy buy. For instance a basic app like Whatsapp was at a point under the paid app category.

I currently use the HTC ONE M8, not leaving Android in the near future, but would love to use the Iphone 'cos of

* The design. One of the most beautiful phones I have ever seen. A reason I got the HTC.

* The exclusivity of it, rarely seen. It is a statement . Just like the HTC too.

* To enjoy and have a feel of the IOS. and many more.

Ironically, I was one of Apple biggest haters grin, criticised the price, prison-like limitations, warranty status { Slot is not helping matters}. And which network is more suitable for it? LTE things.

I would appreciate positive comments and constructive criticisms.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by leofab(f): 8:47pm On Mar 22, 2015
Blackbeauty:
See how u just want to buy wahala!I was using an iphone 5 I got as a gift which I had to sell!I laugh at you in greek if after all I wil say,you still decide to get the 5s!.I'll start with the pros-1.it is a small cute phone.I love the design and size.
2.It is an overhyped and annoyingly overpriced phone which makes it command respect.You can't see jst anyone using it.when u are out and people will be like 'wow,you use an iphone?' And u say 'yep'( with u smiling internally),that's as good as it gets!
Cons-
1.You can't use bluetooth.you hear a nice song playing or u intend getting a picture.brother,you can't use bluetooth o!except its a transfer from iphone to iphone.now how many people wwud own an iphone where u work or sch?
2.You can't download songs,videos,pdf files...in fact anything from d internet.yes..so if u love free music don't bother!I remember I had to buy ed sheeran's bloodstream and thinking out loud songs from itunes for like 400 naira after d naira got devalued.the frustration I felt that day eh!
3.when u buy it,u can't just add your favourite songs o..u need the itunes app on ur pc to sync the songs into ur phone..if u r foolish enough to give it to slot guys to add songs for u,that's ur doom.The day u get your own itunes app on ur pc,all the previous songs and videos not synced with ur apple I'd will be wiped!
4.The appstore is the crappiest av seen after that of windows os..for files over 100mb,you wud need wifi or no download!you must upgrade to the latest ios 8 or you can't download some apps!once you are on ios 8,you can't downgrade it or jailbreak ur iphone!you see?
5.Many of the fun stuffs on it are better enjoyed in u.s eg hv u seen someone using imessage in nigeria?nada!
There are many more cons in buying an iphone..bt let me stop here!now the decision is yours to make.
cries of a novice; go and jail break your phone... Your phone is still in jail and is not free yet...

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Adiwana: 8:49pm On Mar 22, 2015
Gerrard59:
I intend purchasing an Iphone, preferably 5s. I would like to ask Nairalanders who own, owned an Iphone or any Apple device to please give me a run down of how an Apple device work in a Nigerian environment.

Does network capability/signal matter a lot?

To fully utilize the features and functions in it,does it ALWAYS require internet connection?

The battery strength? ( 5s owners are more needed here)

Read and heard about its limitations such as Bluetooth pairing with non-Apple devices. Does it allow for a Bluetooth pairing with say, HTC_ONE_M8?

What about WIFI, HOTSPOT? Tethers with a non-mac computer, Android devices?

The OS, how user friendly? Are most of the apps PAID FOR/BOUGHT? I know it has less free apps compared to Android, but will everything be buy buy buy. For instance a basic app like Whatsapp was at a point under the paid app category.

I currently use the HTC ONE M8, not leaving Android in the near future, but would love to use the Iphone 'cos of

* The design. One of the most beautiful phones I have ever seen. A reason I got the HTC.

* The exclusivity of it, rarely seen. It is a statement . Just like the HTC too.

* To enjoy and have a feel of the IOS. and many more.

Ironically, I was one of Apple biggest haters grin, criticised the price, prison-like limitations, warranty status { Slot is not helping matters}. And which network is more suitable for it? LTE things.

I would appreciate positive comments and constructive criticisms.
to me its useless in Nigeria cos of so many things.my frnd had it and he didnt even use it till the screen spoilt sha.
Anyway it depends on you,if you are the type that like sending things frm one phne to other,go for galaxy if nt most things are purchased online

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by popson1(m): 8:50pm On Mar 22, 2015
I just got an iPhone 6+ as a gift. Compared with my note 3, the phone is simply nauseating! Customization is zero, transferring files between other phones is almost impossible, and there're restrictions here and there! But for poise and picture quality, I don't see anything special in iPhone. The phone is grossly overpriced and overhyped! Now some guys have mentioned how they're practically using the phone as the androids, if I may ask, how are they squeezing water from the stone? I wish to explore if truly possible. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by networkgenuis: 8:51pm On Mar 22, 2015
Blackbeauty:
See how u just want to buy wahala!I was using an iphone 5 I got as a gift which I had to sell!I laugh at you in greek if after all I wil say,you still decide to get the 5s!.I'll start with the pros-1.it is a small cute phone.I love the design and size.
2.It is an overhyped and annoyingly overpriced phone which makes it command respect.You can't see jst anyone using it.when u are out and people will be like 'wow,you use an iphone?' And u say 'yep'( with u smiling internally),that's as good as it gets!
Cons-
You can say that an iPhone is over priced and I won't argue that statement with you, Tecno users also thinks that Samsung and other high end Android smartphones are overpriced.

1.You can't use bluetooth.you hear a nice song playing or u intend getting a picture.brother,you can't use bluetooth o!except its a transfer from iphone to iphone.now how many people wwud own an iphone where u work or sch
There are lots of third party apps you can use to transfer files between iOS and other mobile OS platforms via Bluetooth or WLAN, a simple Google search would've saved you from making this ignorant statement.

2.You can't download songs,videos,pdf files...in fact anything from d internet.yes..so if u love free music don't bother!I remember I had to buy ed sheeran's bloodstream and thinking out loud songs from itunes for like 400 naira after d naira got devalued.the frustration I felt that day eh!
Another ignorant thrash, I can download any song I want from the Internet FREE of charge using qq music app. The app itself is totally free also.

3.when u buy it,u can't just add your favourite songs o..u need the itunes app on ur pc to sync the songs into ur phone..if u r foolish enough to give it to slot guys to add songs for u,that's ur doom.The day u get your own itunes app on ur pc,all the previous songs and videos not synced with ur apple I'd will be wiped!
It pains me when I see peeps that aren't tech savvy and knows next to nothing on how to navigate an OS platform passing half truths or outright lie as facts. Research research research!

4.The appstore is the crappiest av seen after that of windows os..for files over 100mb,you wud need wifi or no download!you must upgrade to the latest ios 8 or you can't download some apps!once you are on ios 8,you can't downgrade it or jailbreak ur iphone!you see?
Every walk around and tricks about an OS takes time, the iOS 8 just got released and trust me, lots of tech heads are already working on jailbreaking this latest marvel of an OS. Stay tuned

5.Many of the fun stuffs on it are better enjoyed in u.s eg hv u seen someone using imessage in nigeria?nada!
There are many more cons in buying an iphone..bt let me stop here!now the decision is yours to make.
Glad you decided to stop here. The iMessage, just like RIM's BBM some time ago only runs on the iOS. It only needs an Internet connect to work so why wouldn't it work in Nigeria?!
I use an iPhone 6+ running the latest iOS 8.2 and I'm typing from a first hand experience. I used to be like you, a diehard Android fanboy, believing that iPhones are overpriced piece of shît. Not until I decided to give it a try when the iPhone 6+ came out, the iPhone is a technological marvel. Very fluid and effective. No annoying lags and bugs. Seamless hardware and software integration. The iPhone 6 sports just 1gig of RAM but runs smoother than my Sony Xperia Z2 with 3gb RAM!
If Android works for you, then fine and by all means stick to it, don't come here to post BS about something you know jackshit about. Thanks kiss

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by SwingzProsper(m): 8:52pm On Mar 22, 2015
SamsungGalaxyS5 beat them all.. I luv mai smartphone... TeamGalaxyS5.. Fantastic n Durable ba3.. 2.Perfect 4taking SELFIES.. 16MP rear megapixels.. Cn U beat that'?!.. 3. Health sensor at d rear syd of d smartphone... Do U knw its functions?? ,. 4. Adreno330... Omg... 5. Dust nd Water Resistant.. So much more dt i cnt mention y'all.. GalaxyS5 IS THE BEST AMONG EQUALS.. NGN 65K..

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by popson1(m): 8:55pm On Mar 22, 2015
networkgenuis:

You are typing from ignorance
Kindly state the reasons for this comment of yours. You might be helping some people out there like me.Thanks .

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by harveyspec: 8:57pm On Mar 22, 2015
Blackbeauty:
Cons-
1.You can't use bluetooth.you hear a nice song playing or u intend getting a picture.brother,you can't use bluetooth o!except its a transfer from iphone to iphone.now how many people wwud own an iphone where u work or sch?

Ma'm if you jailbreak your phone, the above limitations will disappear

I can transfer files via Bluetooth with other phones

I can attach files in mails & send

I can lock individual apps

There are good app stores for jail broken devices, apps u would have bought can be gotten free, no hidden or extra charges

you can download virtually any stuff u want & play so many file format be it music or videos

There is even an app that allows u partition ur iPhone, one partition runs on IOS while the other on android

the list goes on

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by fr3do(m): 8:58pm On Mar 22, 2015
Largas:
haha s4 things jor. We together here.

I have used more than 90% of the phone's innovations.
Group play, smart scroll, multi window, air view, air gesture, infrared blaster...

With the infrared blaster and a remote app, I use my phone as a universal remote.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 9:00pm On Mar 22, 2015
Thanks everyone. Really do appreciate the comments, keep it coming.

Sa, I put on my blackberry WiFi hot-spot on, can an iphone be connected to it and browse the net? This is my main concern.

Thanks once again. Twale to the Mods

Jailbreaking voids the warranty. Dislike unnecessarily tweaking devices.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Rawani: 9:00pm On Mar 22, 2015
With iOS 8, I don't remember the last time I used iTunes for anything. You can pick calls on your lappy, and compose sms to send later on the phone. AirDrop is simply bluetooth at its blazing best. FindMyI with live map tracking is simply a life saver if your phone is ever misplaced or stolen. The camera quality at 8MP is simply the best quality out there. Retina HD Display is simply brilliant.Siri is such a helpful darling. Quality of apps is impeccable. Widest array of 3rd party hardware accessories (like docks,holders, cases, protectors, fm transmitters, car kits etc.),Universal availability of support at Apple Stores, the list goes on and on...

and the prestige...
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Rawani: 9:02pm On Mar 22, 2015
Gerrard59:
Thanks everyone. Really do appreciate the comments, keep it coming.

Sa, I put on my blackberry WiFi hot-spot on, can an iphone be connected to it and browse the net? This is my main concern.

Thanks once again. Twale to the Mods

Yes it can. Just go to wi-fi settings and join with the passcode you set on your BB.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by ifoundmyperfect: 9:03pm On Mar 22, 2015
There is nothing anyone will preach to me dat'll persuade me to get an iphone or an ipad. For a tech geek, its an absolute useless device! Except you are someone who is keen on factory fitted privacy and security which other OS can offer if you are enlightened...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by slyboggie(m): 9:03pm On Mar 22, 2015
The iPhone is not a bad phone, but it's too restrictive,
To own an iPhone you must own a laptop which I find very weird, been using the iPhone since it's inception,until recently I switched over to Android(HTC One series). So far so good no regrets. I got a phone as my Laptop, Notepad, Portable flash, mp3 player, alarm(it's Just too very flexible) and finally I can exchange or collect stuffs from anybody's phone

I don't see myself returning to the iPhone anytime soon.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by airsaylongcon: 9:04pm On Mar 22, 2015
lebete3000:

Men ever since I upgraded from Gingerbread to Ice cream sandwich, my phone's battery goes flat within minutes & d phone overheats like madt...how's yours doing man?

I'm on lollipop... Battery dey run down like mad. Powerbank and regular light at d office is what is rescuing me o! But it was alright on Kitkat. Maybe u should check running apps. Get a good task killer

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 9:06pm On Mar 22, 2015
Rawani:
With iOS 8, I don't remember the last time I used iTunes for anything. You can pick calls on your lappy, and compose sms to send later on the phone. AirDrop is simply bluetooth at its blazing best. FindMyI with live map tracking is simply a life saver if your phone is ever misplaced or stolen. The camera quality at 8MP is simply the best quality out there. Retina HD Display is simply brilliant.Siri is such a helpful darling. Quality of apps is impeccable. Widest array of 3rd party hardware accessories (like docks,holders, cases, protectors, fm transmitters, car kits etc.),Universal availability of support at Apple Stores, the list goes on and on...

and the prestige...

What about the talk of flash share? Transfer of music through it. Is the flash share app on the appstore?
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by ifoundmyperfect: 9:07pm On Mar 22, 2015
networkgenuis:

You are typing from ignorance

You don't have to be so condescending
An enlightenment would have suffice...
I am equally curious to know more...
If you don't mind...

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by bloglover(m): 9:08pm On Mar 22, 2015
Blackbeauty:
Cons-

nicely and intelligently dissected and most especially coming from a female...I luv u , pls marry me!!
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by ajos145(m): 9:09pm On Mar 22, 2015
Goto google and type 'iphone 5s review'. U will surely find ya ans there

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by onatisi(m): 9:16pm On Mar 22, 2015
@op,my own be say if product wey u wan buy get 50% negative review , make una no buy am oo. Why persin go use him money go buy problem !!!!

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Owning An Iphone In Nigeria? by Rawani: 9:17pm On Mar 22, 2015
Gerrard59:

What about the talk of flash share? Transfer of music through it. Is the flash share app on the appstore?

Flash share is an android file sharing app to the best of my knowledge. File sharing on iPhone is through AirDrop for iPhone to iPhone/iPad/Mac, or Cydia apps for jailbroken devices like AirBlue.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Bought This FIL Power Bank That Look Like A Phone Today. / How Can I Detect Private Number When Some1 Use It To Flash Me.pls Help Me. / Olla V9 Pro Unboxing & Review - N32,000 Budget Phone With A Punch-hole (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.