Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria - Car Talk (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria (104891 Views)

Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission / Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? / Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by otimothy(m): 2:12pm On Apr 10, 2017
Hi Guys, Good afternoon to you.Please i need help and advice as well, as i want to buy a baby boy(Nigerian Used) for my mum and its cheap majorly because i have to change the gear(Automatic) is it advisable to buy that and how much at the most is it going to be or i should just look for a sound one?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by semochendo1(m): 9:58pm On Apr 25, 2017
please help, my Mazda 626 2000 model stopped moving. when you engage the gears, it doesn't move,my mechanic suggested we change the oil and filter, yet, it persist, and I was asked to get another engine.

Please, do I need another complete gear?
if yes, how much should i budget?

thanks in anticipation

cc Gazzuz
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by dan6019(m): 11:33pm On Apr 25, 2017
I have landcruiser Prado, 2001. The transmission neither engages D or R, it rvvs high and no movement. What's the better option for me - replace or rebuild?

Do you have an idea what it will cost to do the two, so I can choose.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by oyejohn: 5:41am On May 02, 2017
Good day...my corrola 2001 will not engage on drive it reverses well but it won't move at all in drive...pls help me don't know too much about this
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by shotuns: 11:40am On May 02, 2017
My ogas at the top, I need your help, advice on my car transmission.
I recently changed both engine and transmission on my 2002 dodge durango, reason being that oil change period is more than required. Bought a wrong fliter from Ladipupo through a friend, i noticed this during the oil change so therefore unable get another but to use the old filter, the mechanic changed the oil and return back the oid filter. The same day after the oil change , I noticed the transmission won't engage in D. We left the car running up to about 40 minutes and tried again, then it engaged D including all shifters.
The car left the shop and went straight home, on the way home it started making this noise but we couldnt figure out why. On the seond day to the church and came back still same noise. Then decided to check the oil level and do a simple check then noticed that filter screw head has broken off. and some oil dripping down on the floor where it was parked, It is either the mechanic tighten the filter to hard or wrongly, I cant really say but since then series of problem have started. My brother find a means to get another screw head and retighted the filter and added some oil, The car was test driven again and no noise was heard this time, all gears shifts was okay and smooth.
2 days later , about to drive the car out, the dash board showed all shifter lights PRDN12 on at the same time, it move on d but wont reverse, I immediately contacted Mr Gazzuz and he gave me a simple diagnose to look for the P/N switch, clean, salvage both connectors well and try it again.Thanks to Mr Gazzuz. We search everywhere for the switch, located one at the base of the transmission, pulled it out and turn on the car , only 'R' light came on this time. We cleaned the switch inside out and plug it back in but still all lights on, I was guessing it isnt the actuall switch. And till now I havent located any other switch, I've searched online to the best of my knowledge, still dont know exactly where it is.
Then again the worst of it all , i started smelling burnt gear oil, this realy scared me and dont know what to do. I tried finding a mechanic to help scan, till today couldnt find any in the whole of Abeokuta. I am tired.. Please GURU in the house. what should i do
It's been over a month now, and searched for a mechanic to help scan my tranny but suprisingly couldnt find one and still left in the dark on what to do..
cc kashif, kingreign , autowiz ,gazzuz,
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Kashif(m): 2:50pm On May 02, 2017
shotuns:

My ogas at the top, I need your help, advice on my car transmission.
I recently changed both engine and transmission on my 2002 dodge durango, reason being that oil change period is more than required. Bought a wrong fliter from Ladipupo through a friend, i noticed this during the oil change so therefore unable get another but to use the old filter, the mechanic changed the oil and return back the oid filter. The same day after the oil change , I noticed the transmission won't engage in D. We left the car running up to about 40 minutes and tried again, then it engaged D including all shifters.
The car left the shop and went straight home, on the way home it started making this noise but we couldnt figure out why. On the seond day to the church and came back still same noise. Then decided to check the oil level and do a simple check then noticed that filter screw head has broken off. and some oil dripping down on the floor where it was parked, It is either the mechanic tighten the filter to hard or wrongly, I cant really say but since then series of problem have started. My brother find a means to get another screw head and retighted the filter and added some oil, The car was test driven again and no noise was heard this time, all gears shifts was okay and smooth.
2 days later , about to drive the car out, the dash board showed all shifter lights PRDN12 on at the same time, it move on d but wont reverse, I immediately contacted Mr Gazzuz and he gave me a simple diagnose to look for the P/N switch, clean, salvage both connectors well and try it again.Thanks to Mr Gazzuz. We search everywhere for the switch, located one at the base of the transmission, pulled it out and turn on the car , only 'R' light came on this time. We cleaned the switch inside out and plug it back in but still all lights on, I was guessing it isnt the actuall switch. And till now I havent located any other switch, I've searched online to the best of my knowledge, still dont know exactly where it is.
Then again the worst of it all , i started smelling burnt gear oil, this realy scared me and dont know what to do. I tried finding a mechanic to help scan, till today couldnt find any in the whole of Abeokuta. I am tired.. Please GURU in the house. what should i do
It's been over a month now, and searched for a mechanic to help scan my tranny but suprisingly couldnt find one and still left in the dark on what to do..
cc kashif, kingreign , autowiz ,gazzuz,

It was difficult taking out the symptoms you are facing.

You need to find somebody who can scan the vehicle for you. It is a good starting point. Burnt oil perceived could be coming from oil touching hot engine/transmission part.

Shalom.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Naturallyme: 8:51pm On May 03, 2017
It has happened to me before. If you Abs light is on, it can cause it. Check ur abs sensors and your front shafts. When it happened to me, I never knew my abs sensors has been choped off dues to bad shaft. After cahnging my shafts and the hubs, i now have a perfect gear. Kindly check. Regards
autowiz:
quote author=chnovpaul post=54310262]Hello house,

I just stumbled across this thread, and it's just the right thing at the right moment.

I've got a Volvo S80 1999 which seems to be giving me tranny issues. Here's a description of the problem.

Engine starts...select drive...and car starts rolling. However, on a free road, it moves from gears 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 without any problem. However, if for any reason I have to slow down or stop, to move becomes difficult as the gear won't downshift to 1 to allow powered movement. I will have to accelerate hard to force the car to move. Better still, I restart the engine, and it starts again from 1 till it gets to 4 and gets stuck in either 3 or 4. But if I drive on inner roads where I don't get above gear 3, I don't experience that problem.

I scanned it, and I got these codes: P0751 and P1618, which suggests a stuck solenoid A or B or something. I have read about people who have changed their gear solenoids and that fixed the problem. How to get those solenoids and who will be willing to fix these solenoids are my challenge.

Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what to do?

I'll appreciate any counsel. Thank you.

CC: Autowiz, Kashif, other professionals in the house
Replacing the solenoid should solve you problem. But while you are at it. Check the transmission fluid level and service or replace the oil filter
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by pufframmy: 10:58pm On May 03, 2017
Hello Which Engine oil is good for Golf 3
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by shotuns: 1:16pm On May 04, 2017
@kashif, Thanks so much.
I finally got someone with a scanner, some of the codes were cleared but these codes remained.

Kindly helpme , the codes are like someone speaking in tongues, have no idea what to do.

1.p0030 / O2 SENSIR 1/1 Heater circuit /H20 Heater control Circuit B1S1
2.p0755/ 2-4 SOLENOID Circuit./Shift solenoid B malfunction
3.p0499/ NVLD canisters vent valve solenoid circuit light/Evaporative emission system vent valve control circuit light.

Kashif:

It was difficult taking out the symptoms you are facing.

You need to find somebody who can scan the vehicle for you. It is a good starting point. Burnt oil perceived could be coming from oil touching hot engine/transmission part.

Shalom.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by yemzy26: 12:00pm On May 09, 2017
which atf can i use for a mercury villager sir
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by kingreign(m): 8:00pm On May 09, 2017
yemzy26:
which atf can i use for a mercury villager sir

Nissan ATF Matic D
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by chnovpaul(m): 9:55am On Jun 14, 2017
Naturallyme:
It has happened to me before. If you Abs light is on, it can cause it. Check ur abs sensors and your front shafts. When it happened to me, I never knew my abs sensors has been choped off dues to bad shaft. After cahnging my shafts and the hubs, i now have a perfect gear. Kindly check. Regards

Thanks very much.

I ended up changing the tranny for 120k about two months ago. It works perfectly fine now.

I had earlier tried changing the solenoids, but menh!! Those guys didn't even know what the heck a solenoid was, even at Daleko. One guy who seemed a bit intelligent went to remove two solenoids from an abandoned tranny after I showed him pictures of what it looked like. Then he embarked on a whole day's mission to replace mine.

At the end of the day, the transmission was still the same. It was when I got tired of the whole thing I decided to stop trying to save money and replace the whole thing.

I've had peace of mind since then.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by faaiz4ever(m): 9:47pm On Jul 15, 2017
Please i have a honda accord 2008 comfort automatic that selects normally to gear 4, but the engine will just rev without moving as if it was changed to N when the gear shifts to gear5. When i now manually shift to N and back to D the D light will keep blinking and the gear will not get to gear 5 anymore. The oil smells burnt and dark too. Please what is the solution.?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by ifnyioj22(m): 7:12pm On Jul 17, 2017
Pls waz the recommended gear oil for corrola sport 05 auto
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by sultan003(m): 2:55pm On Jul 19, 2017
been in this deep shit for a month now,
toyota camry 2.4, the problem started when instead of accelerating uphill smoothly, the speed will be decreasing until the car comes to a flat surface then the speed picks up.... when accelerating uphill, and I depress the accelerator the engine will just rev, but the speed will rather decrease.
took the car to my mechanic, he checked the gear oil, only to be told that I have to replace the gear box.
replace the gear box, started the car, it started fine , but couldn't rev, the mechanic called an electrician to come and find out what's wrong, by the time the electrician finish, the car wouldn't start again, it will crank but will not start, the ecu was changed, still no solution...

Anyone with this kind of experience? The car was serving me well except the uphill part, I will drive it to work(45mins from home to office) with no issues, this nonsense started just because I decided to change the gearbox
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Naturallyme: 4:38pm On Jul 19, 2017
First thing first. When u noticed the issue, you should have scanned it to get the first code. That's diagnosis. Obviously it wasn't the gear since you claimed you changed it. I guess your engine is loosing pressure. The simplest sensor in the car can cause it. scan it again and get the error code. it behaves like it has clutch problem. is the gear automatic or manual. does the gear select well? does it use ETM, electronic throttle module, or na cable for throttle. a lot can cause this problem. scan and get the error code.
sultan003:
been in this deep shit for a month now,
toyota camry 2.4, the problem started when instead of accelerating uphill smoothly, the speed will be decreasing until the car comes to a flat surface then the speed picks up.... when accelerating uphill, and I depress the accelerator the engine will just rev, but the speed will rather decrease.
took the car to my mechanic, he checked the gear oil, only to be told that I have to replace the gear box.
replace the gear box, started the car, it started fine , but couldn't rev, the mechanic called an electrician to come and find out what's wrong, by the time the electrician finish, the car wouldn't start again, it will crank but will not start, the ecu was changed, still no solution...

Anyone with this kind of experience? The car was serving me well except the uphill part, I will drive it to work(45mins from home to office) with no issues, this nonsense started just because I decided to change the gearbox
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by chatupkay: 5:27pm On Jul 19, 2017
@Kashif, @gazuzz, I'm really impressed with your recommendations.

i recently observed that my toyota highlanders hesitates when shifting gears on motion, and one day it stopped shifting into higher gears. Before that time, the VSC, ABS lights have always bin "ON" d dashboard, however, when the incident happend, i noticed that "BREAK" had turned "ON" too.

Later on, the break pad issue was fixed however, the "BREAK" light on d dashboard is still comes "ON" when d car is started.
The ATF was dirty and black, so it was changed and Gear Filter Cleaned too, still the transmission system did not shift into higher gears. I guess it got stuck in gear 1, because it still moves.

In other not to create more issue, D car has bin parked since the day the issues started.

Questions
(1) Can the "BREAK" fault as shown on the dashboard inhibits the transmission system operation
(2) Is Gear box operations sensitive to the type of ATF used if yes, wat is d name of ATF recommended for Toyota Highlander 2006?
(3) I know its important d car needs to b scanned, however, wat r the other likely causes of this kind of issue?

please any suggestions?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by sultan003(m): 11:15pm On Jul 19, 2017
Naturallyme:
First thing first. When u noticed the issue, you should have scanned it to get the first code. That's diagnosis. Obviously it wasn't the gear since you claimed you changed it. I guess your engine is loosing pressure. The simplest sensor in the car can cause it. scan it again and get the error code. it behaves like it has clutch problem. is the gear automatic or manual. does the gear select well? does it use ETM, electronic throttle module, or na cable for throttle. a lot can cause this problem. scan and get the error code.

automatic gear, electronic throttle....

it was scanned initially, but the scanner couldn't connect to the ECU, got another ECU and scanned, no code was detected. I guess if there is any diagnostic trouble code(s), it should be in the first ECU...

am actually suspecting that the trottle positioning sensor could be the problem

An UPDATE

The problem was actually a blocked catalytic converter, and not the gearbox TPS or ECU.
The blocked converter, prevented the engine from removing exhaust gases, thus Oxygen couldn't be inhaled. so without the O2 the engine won't start.

how did we know? the O2 sensor was removed from the engine exhaust manifold, and the thing started...

Removed the catalytic converter, my old gearbox is still good, the car is flying like it used to, now I have to sell the gearbox I bought and buy a new converter.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Abdulrahmanrahe: 8:49pm On Jul 20, 2017
I have a Honda CRV 2004 model, the auto transmission shift on cold start from 1,2,3 and 4 without issues. However, once a slow down and it downshift from 4, it will only shift between 1 to 3 and will not shift to 4 anymore. However, if i stop for a while usually ten minutes, it shift to all gears again until I slow down. I have changed the shift solenoid, services the replace the Throttle Position Sensor, Mass Air Pressure sensor, Intake air sensor, knock sensor, serviced the IMPC. yet the trouble persist. I need advice on what to do?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by sultan003(m): 10:58am On Jul 23, 2017
Abdulrahmanrahe:
I have a Honda CRV 2004 model, the auto transmission shift on cold start from 1,2,3 and 4 without issues. However, once a slow down and it downshift from 4, it will only shift between 1 to 3 and will not shift to 4 anymore. However, if i stop for a while usually ten minutes, it shift to all gears again until I slow down. I have changed the shift solenoid, services the replace the Throttle Position Sensor, Mass Air Pressure sensor, Intake air sensor, knock sensor, serviced the IMPC. yet the trouble persist. I need advice on what to do?

Did you run a diagnosis scan?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by olabodeapex: 11:08am On Jul 23, 2017
Please I need advice on my car. I discovered reverse gear has been misbehaving lately. Once packed for a long time and I want to reverse, it will take like 10 to 20 minutes before reverse gear is activated. I've changed the oil twice now and it's like it's efforts in futility because as at yesterday, reverse gear refused to activate after a long waiting. I need advice and possibly an idea of new gear box if that will make the car works perfectly.
I will appreciate meaningful advice
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Kashif(m): 7:46pm On Jul 24, 2017
chatupkay:
@Kashif, @gazuzz, I'm really impressed with your recommendations.

i recently observed that my toyota highlanders hesitates when shifting gears on motion, and one day it stopped shifting into higher gears. Before that time, the VSC, ABS lights have always bin "ON" d dashboard, however, when the incident happend, i noticed that "BREAK" had turned "ON" too.

Later on, the break pad issue was fixed however, the "BREAK" light on d dashboard is still comes "ON" when d car is started.
The ATF was dirty and black, so it was changed and Gear Filter Cleaned too, still the transmission system did not shift into higher gears. I guess it got stuck in gear 1, because it still moves.

In other not to create more issue, D car has bin parked since the day the issues started.

Questions
(1) Can the "BREAK" fault as shown on the dashboard inhibits the transmission system operation
(2) Is Gear box operations sensitive to the type of ATF used if yes, wat is d name of ATF recommended for Toyota Highlander 2006?
(3) I know its important d car needs to b scanned, however, wat r the other likely causes of this kind of issue?

please any suggestions?

When transmission oil is dirty and black, the box is near the grave. Changing it at that point will hasten the demise.

May or may not. live PID is important

Type IV should be fine

Many of them. Know that many transmission issues will not trigger any code.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Kashif(m): 7:53pm On Jul 24, 2017
Abdulrahmanrahe:

Chai! Your mechanic is a champ! Take it to a pro for diagnosis.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by BecomeALandLord(m): 5:26pm On Jul 26, 2017
Please autowiz, my Suzuki mini shuttle bus is having gear issues

Can it be fixed? Or do I change the gear box completely?

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by amywonda: 5:47pm On Jul 26, 2017
My car was overheating, took it and gasket was changed , subsequently the gear wouldn't work right, jumps straight to fourth gear, other tribes wouldn't even move, one mech says if elctronics problem so I have to change tranny, prior to gasket Change there was no issues with the tranny, Porsche Cayman, 2010
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by osarodon(m): 6:44pm On Jul 31, 2017
Please I noticed my 2003 corolla automatic transmission just stopped working without any notice or indication, this happened as I was about climbing small ridge that is less than half foot in height and I heard a little kinking noise same time it stopped working.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Hopegreg: 8:31pm On Jul 31, 2017
Were in trans Amadi,address please
autowiz:

TRANSAMADI.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by uyplus(m): 6:52pm On Aug 04, 2017
Pls my reverse gear is tge inly gear working. Car doesn't ho forward even when you engage it on drive. I suspect the reverse clutch inside the gearbox, the gearbox filter was serviced yet gear won't work. They have checked the gear selector cable and they said its ok. Its a 2008 toyota canry SE 4cylindrer. Car was just imported and ans it is currently in Apapa, Lagos. We are trying to get it driven from lagos to Abuja where i reside. What are your suggestions pls?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by jossytech(m): 7:35pm On Aug 04, 2017
Please I used 1999 Toyota Camry, I changed transmission oil might be more than a year, d gear take long to shift from 1-2, unlike b4, d smoke is whitish(ash colour) wen warming in d cold morning, and just air if its sunny from exhaust, shud I change d atf n what product would u recommend. Thank you
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by MrBuch(m): 7:03pm On Sep 07, 2017
Hello house, good evening. Who knows the price of the gear box for 2004 Toyota Sienna? Front Wheel Drive. Thank you.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Jusome: 9:34am On Oct 11, 2017
my car won't move when I put it on D or R or any Gear it will not move behave as if is on neutral gear Honda babyboy 1999
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by xpensiv: 3:21am On Oct 13, 2017
Hi I have a Camry 2012/13, the transmission doesn't have a dip stick, I noticed it doesn't change beyond Gear3, it makes a funny jack when it engages gear 3 also.

Scanned it the code is P2810 , topped the ATF Fluid but still the same.

Any advise pls?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply)

I Parked My Car, Went Into The Bank And This Happened / Lagos Number Plate Abbreviations & What They Mean / Meet Nigerians Who Own Bugatti Veyron Car(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.