Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,546 members, 7,809,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

LASU Closed Down Indefinitely - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LASU Closed Down Indefinitely (23002 Views)

ANSU Shuts Down Indefinitely, After Graduate Was Tortured To Death / BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely / UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by MRLINGTON(m): 6:35am On Mar 24, 2015
The Lagos State University (LASU), Ojo has been closed down indefinitely following the inability of the government to meet the demands of its staff union including the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU),  Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) and National Academic Staff Union (NASU).

Some of the demands of the staff unions include:  the appointment of an acting vice-chancellor to preside over the convocation that would have been held last week and right the wrong allegedly done by the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. John Obafunwa’s including the victimisation of its members, withdrawal of certificates of lecturers and abuse of due process by the university’s management.

The closure, according to reports, might not be unconnected with the crises that had been rocking the 30-year-old institution with the unions being at loggerheads with the VC over several issues.

It had also passed a vote-of-no-confidence on him several months ago.
Last week, staff unions, including the SSANU and NASU, had staged a mass protest where Obafunwa was successfully booted out.

During the protest at the institution’s campus in Ojo, Obafunwa, who gained entrance with the aid of security officials, was chased out with sachet of  water thrown at him.

Addressing members of ASUU at an emergency congress meeting before heading for a meeting with the state government, the association’s President, Adekunle Idris, noted that the university community was tired of the administration of Obafunwa, adding that he had tried to cripple the association with attempts to freeze its account and stop its  check-off dues of the association.

Stating the demands of ASUU to be tabled before the state government, the association’s president said the demands remained the same.

He noted that Obafunwa would not preside over the university’s convocation.
According to him, “Convocation can proceed if an acting vice-chancellor is appointed” he said.

“The four months balance of our arrears of increment should be paid. The new acting vice chancellor must take care of the victimisation, withdrawal of certificates and other issues.

“Process for the appointment of a new vice-chancellor on a one term basis must begin now. Abuse of due process as members of different academic associations elected into the senate of the university must be allowed to sit.

“About N3.2 billion belonging to LASU from the intervention fund should be accessed. The new VC should set up a budget monitoring committee which Professor Obafunwa had refused to set up must be put in place to so as to assess the fund.

“The inappropriate promotion of some staffs and appointment must be reviewed or reversed.”

He also stated that staff members accused of embezzlement must be investigated and punished.

The association, however, declared that following the protests by NASU, which he said could have led to the lynching of the former vice chancellor and some other principal officials of the university, it might be forced to suspend lectures as the association does not support physical attacks on any academic staff.

In a related development, the institution has declared election recess.
The Public Relations Officer, Mrs. Ronke Osho, said in a text message to THISDAY that, “In view of the forthcoming national and state elections scheduled for March 28 and April 11, respectively, the university management  of  LASU has declared a recess for both staff and students with effect  from on Monday 23, 2015. Students and staff are therefore advised to vacate the campus immediately. The date of the resumption will be announced later.

Source:
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lasu-closed-down-indefinitely/204891/

1 Like

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by castrokins(m): 6:40am On Mar 24, 2015
Fashola And APC, Una See Una Life?

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 6:42am On Mar 24, 2015
Waiting to hear Fashola pin this one on Jonathan.

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by akinboyepelumi1: 6:47am On Mar 24, 2015
I guess the money that are meant to cater for our schools are pump into PoliTics. #Godgojudge

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by Montaque(m): 7:14am On Mar 24, 2015
GEJ will soon take the blame.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by liljboy(m): 7:23am On Mar 24, 2015
LASU Closed Down Indefinitely.... I blame GEJ #fasholajoker

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by Atk01(f): 7:39am On Mar 24, 2015
MRLINGTON:

In a related development, the institution has declared election recess.
The Public Relations Officer, Mrs. Ronke Osho, said in a text message to THISDAY that, “In view of the forthcoming national and state elections scheduled for March 28 and April 11, respectively, the university management  of  LASU has declared a recess for both staff and students with effect  from on Monday 23, 2015. Students and staff are therefore advised to vacate the campus immediately. The date of the resumption will be announced later.

Source:
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lasu-closed-down-indefinitely/204891/
The school was closed down because of elections.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by DonTeamie(m): 8:02am On Mar 24, 2015
Its Allowed.
Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by Holywizard: 9:55am On Mar 24, 2015
LASU sounds like Insecticide....

I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT STATE SCHOOLS

1 Like

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by zaynie(f): 2:32pm On Mar 24, 2015
Serves the lecturers right.
The next VC should even be worse than this one.

1 Like

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by fineyemi(m): 3:00pm On Mar 24, 2015
Holywizard:

MUMU

9 Likes

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by sweetval: 3:28pm On Mar 24, 2015
Smh
Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by LewisO: 3:28pm On Mar 24, 2015
[size=14pt]State Universities is a No! No!! For me. undecided [/size]

1 Like

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 3:28pm On Mar 24, 2015
Great...no chance to spare for TANoids to mobilise the youth to cause unrest before and after the elections.

Great decision and a timely one too.

Sai APC

Sai Buhari...victory is assured grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by bunmioguns(m): 3:28pm On Mar 24, 2015
embarassed
Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by Ilekeh(f): 3:28pm On Mar 24, 2015
Will open back up jare.

Nothing is definite in Nigeria but corruption.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by Sezua(m): 3:29pm On Mar 24, 2015
apc is working i guess!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 24, 2015
Election things
Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by loomer: 3:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
In FASHOLA'S voice "this is Jonathan's fault"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by Mishydoo(m): 3:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
INCONSEQUENTIAL undecided

2 Likes

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by pat077: 3:31pm On Mar 24, 2015
Obj n Atiku after their stint as
president n vp built private
university for themselves,
Jonathan built 14 for the nation
as a president. I hope liar mohammed will put d blame on PDP.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by highmood(m): 3:31pm On Mar 24, 2015
LASU have being experiencing problem since I became conscious of my environment. I am not surprise. but then, Lair Mohamed use to be quick is responding to issues, but I am yet to hear from him. And for Mr. Fashola, I am waiting to hear how president Ebele Goodluck caused it. And for the Eye man, hope he will see this clearly to accuse the PDP.
GEJ till 2019 and 1/2.

6 Likes

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by nerodenero: 3:32pm On Mar 24, 2015
Very unfriendly post
Holywizard:

1 Like

Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by Samirana360(m): 3:33pm On Mar 24, 2015
Nawa o
Re: LASU Closed Down Indefinitely by oismail(m): 3:34pm On Mar 24, 2015
You mean APC LASU?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Babajide Oluwaseyi With Visual Difficulty Tops Her Class In UK University (Video / Student Cultists Surrender In OAU As Adeboye Ministers / The Highest Score Grade In The 2016 WAEC Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.