Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,490 members, 7,781,470 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:57 PM

Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja (74962 Views)

The Proposed Umueri International Cargo Airport: 8 Facts To Note / Ukrainian Embassy Visa Interview / • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Baboo13(m): 12:29pm On Mar 24, 2015
This is a very nice piece. At least you're sharing from experience. Its good to share info and not hoard them like some nigerians do.
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by sped1oro(m): 12:31pm On Mar 24, 2015
did they also ask if your mum knew Obama, because they can ask nasty question at the American embassy

1 Like

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by OROSUNBOLB(m): 12:36pm On Mar 24, 2015
Lionize:
I took my mother to the embassy last week, and just that brief visit revealed a whole lot to me. I just gathered some few information for you, just in case you are going for a US visa soon, in Abuja.
During the application process, I chose Abuja as the interview venue because of the tales I heard about the rowdiness of Lagos centre. The choice was worth it.

Things to note

1. Ensure you enter correct information. Carefully go through your details before submission. But even if you made a mistake and would want to modify any detail later, ensure it is at least two working days before the interview date (a 48hr policy sustains this).

2. Ensure you arrive the interview venue earlier. The embassy staff keep to time, so, if your interview is by 10am, please leave wherever you are by 7 or 8am, so you get there on time. We hired a taxi, whose driver claimed to know the embassy. But unfortunately, he didn’t. after some merry-go-round, we found ourselves at the wrong gate, just few minutes before our interview time. I was visibly upset, which was not good. Every other hour, the security men go to the main gate and shout the interviewees’ time, and those announced file in. By 8am they come and shout “eight o’clock.” By 9am they come and shout “nine o’clock” etc.

3. Ensure you have all your required documents with you. This is necessary because any omission, the team at the entrance, who are Nigerians and whose job it is to vet your documents, would turn you back to go regularise it. And trust me; those ones attend to you when it is your interview time already, which means you have little or no time left at that time.

4. If you have issues with number 3 above, you are already tensed and a potential mugu to whoever/wherever you are directed to. My case was my Mother’s passport, they claimed it was not bright enough. When I asked they directed us to the main gate where some photographers, who have been indirectly employed by the embassy. Those guys there must all have houses in Abuja, and other cities in Nigeria, and of course, their hometowns. That is, if business flows. Those guys take N1,500 to print four copies of passport photograph. Before you think the passport may be ‘too special’, I paid N500 for the same passport at Port Harcourt International airport. That tells you it would be cheaper outside. I almost cried. They even had the guts to tell me 8 copies was N3,000, but they may take N2,500 from me. I knew they won’t even enter any bargain to print only one copy hence my reluctance to tow that line, we just needed a copy after all. I held myself from landing the guy a slap, they were many and I may not be able to pull that off. A friend told me, later, that some group at the UK embassy took N3,000 to print a page of document for them when they found themselves in such situation. Blood money is not only when you severe one’s head.

5. Be confident during the interview and do not sound desperate. America is not heaven. I see some guys who, when asked by that young girl there, who was asking her questions on loudspeaker and rejecting people’s request for visa on loudspeaker, if they have ever travelled outside the country before, nod on the affirmative and start mentioning Kenya, Ghana, bla bla bla. The next thing you would hear from her is “I am sorry you are not qualified for a US visa at this time, details ….” Phew! ogba!

6. Be ready to tip the security guards if you wish or just move on, that is when you are successful. They know how to spot successful people, from your demeanour after the interview of course. They would encourage the crest-fallen ones and try to corner the successful ones. Immediately we came out of the interview room, the uniformed lady cornered me. I signalled my mum to tip her if she wished. My mum dipped her hand into that fabric bag she ties around her waist, where she puts her money and nokia phones-one with two sims while the other without sim and serves as spare for her, and brought out N200. While she was doing that, the lady cornered her to a place the camera would not catch them, claiming they were blocking the way. I spotted the camera and coded what she was doing because there was no oncoming pedestrian in sight.

7. When we got to the last security door, where we dropped our items during security checks, they asked how the interview went and when they too noticed it was successful wanted to get their own share. But I told them “some other time.” They let go without any further persuasion. Their tactic was so subtle you would know they had been sternly warned against extortion. The guys at the desk , who turned us back to go get passport photo, did not try anything. When we got to the gate, the mopol men wanted to start, and I simply told them “we dey come back again come try.” They changed language and their taxing mode changed to encouragement mode.

8. If you are successful, you’ll likely be asked to come back some few days later to pick up your visa. If you stay outside Abuja, then that would eat deeper into your pockets. It may mean some four days later, after they have notified you through email. When filling the form, there is an option of having your visa delivered to the DHL office nearest to you, choose that. You would be asked to pay some money during pick up, about 4k or so. That option is just so convenient.

9. If you are successful, the embassy withholds your International passport for further processing. So, if you don’t have any other means of ID other than your passport, then for sure you will have to stay without ID till you get your visa.

But I would suggest the embassy makes the interview more private that it is. Asking someone some personal questions such as how much they earn seems to me to be non-public.

I hope you picked at least one thing from the whole rubbish I wrote.

Thank you.
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Lionize: 12:42pm On Mar 24, 2015
InvertedHammer:
/
Can you repeat the storyline at #6 about your mother, purse, SIM cards, Nokia and N200?

\
The security people, ladies especially, try to tax you if you are granted visa. So, if you want to tip, go ahead, but if you don't fell like, no shit will happen. None of them can force you. And, they do it very surreptitiously. They are afraid of being caught, yet they would not refrain from trying entirely.

3 Likes

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Lionize: 12:46pm On Mar 24, 2015
sped1oro:
did they also ask if your mum knew Obama, because they can ask nasty question at the American embassy
Lol! I'm sure if it was that girl, she would be tempted to. I heard her ask a boy which American star he would like to see if he arrives US.

1 Like

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 24, 2015
Lionize:
I took my mother to the embassy last week, and just that brief visit revealed a whole lot to me. I just gathered some few information for you, just in case you are going for a US visa soon, in Abuja.
During the application process, I chose Abuja as the interview venue because of the tales I heard about the rowdiness of Lagos centre. The choice was worth it.

Things to note

1. Ensure you enter correct information. Carefully go through your details before submission. But even if you made a mistake and would want to modify any detail later, ensure it is at least two working days before the interview date (a 48hr policy sustains this).

2. Ensure you arrive the interview venue earlier. The embassy staff keep to time, so, if your interview is by 10am, please leave wherever you are by 7 or 8am, so you get there on time. We hired a taxi, whose driver claimed to know the embassy. But unfortunately, he didn’t. after some merry-go-round, we found ourselves at the wrong gate, just few minutes before our interview time. I was visibly upset, which was not good. Every other hour, the security men go to the main gate and shout the interviewees’ time, and those announced file in. By 8am they come and shout “eight o’clock.” By 9am they come and shout “nine o’clock” etc.

3. Ensure you have all your required documents with you. This is necessary because any omission, the team at the entrance, who are Nigerians and whose job it is to vet your documents, would turn you back to go regularise it. And trust me; those ones attend to you when it is your interview time already, which means you have little or no time left at that time.

4. If you have issues with number 3 above, you are already tensed and a potential mugu to whoever/wherever you are directed to. My case was my Mother’s passport, they claimed it was not bright enough. When I asked they directed us to the main gate where some photographers, who have been indirectly employed by the embassy. Those guys there must all have houses in Abuja, and other cities in Nigeria, and of course, their hometowns. That is, if business flows. Those guys take N1,500 to print four copies of passport photograph. Before you think the passport may be ‘too special’, I paid N500 for the same passport at Port Harcourt International airport. That tells you it would be cheaper outside. I almost cried. They even had the guts to tell me 8 copies was N3,000, but they may take N2,500 from me. I knew they won’t even enter any bargain to print only one copy hence my reluctance to tow that line, we just needed a copy after all. I held myself from landing the guy a slap, they were many and I may not be able to pull that off. A friend told me, later, that some group at the UK embassy took N3,000 to print a page of document for them when they found themselves in such situation. Blood money is not only when you severe one’s head.

5. Be confident during the interview and do not sound desperate. America is not heaven. I see some guys who, when asked by that young girl there, who was asking her questions on loudspeaker and rejecting people’s request for visa on loudspeaker, if they have ever travelled outside the country before, nod on the affirmative and start mentioning Kenya, Ghana, bla bla bla. The next thing you would hear from her is “I am sorry you are not qualified for a US visa at this time, details ….” Phew! ogba!

6. Be ready to tip the security guards if you wish or just move on, that is when you are successful. They know how to spot successful people, from your demeanour after the interview of course. They would encourage the crest-fallen ones and try to corner the successful ones. Immediately we came out of the interview room, the uniformed lady cornered me. I signalled my mum to tip her if she wished. My mum dipped her hand into that fabric bag she ties around her waist, where she puts her money and nokia phones-one with two sims while the other without sim and serves as spare for her, and brought out N200. While she was doing that, the lady cornered her to a place the camera would not catch them, claiming they were blocking the way. I spotted the camera and coded what she was doing because there was no oncoming pedestrian in sight.

7. When we got to the last security door, where we dropped our items during security checks, they asked how the interview went and when they too noticed it was successful wanted to get their own share. But I told them “some other time.” They let go without any further persuasion. Their tactic was so subtle you would know they had been sternly warned against extortion. The guys at the desk , who turned us back to go get passport photo, did not try anything. When we got to the gate, the mopol men wanted to start, and I simply told them “we dey come back again come try.” They changed language and their taxing mode changed to encouragement mode.

8. If you are successful, you’ll likely be asked to come back some few days later to pick up your visa. If you stay outside Abuja, then that would eat deeper into your pockets. It may mean some four days later, after they have notified you through email. When filling the form, there is an option of having your visa delivered to the DHL office nearest to you, choose that. You would be asked to pay some money during pick up, about 4k or so. That option is just so convenient.

9. If you are successful, the embassy withholds your International passport for further processing. So, if you don’t have any other means of ID other than your passport, then for sure you will have to stay without ID till you get your visa.

But I would suggest the embassy makes the interview more private that it is. Asking someone some personal questions such as how much they earn seems to me to be non-public.

I hope you picked at least one thing from the whole rubbish I wrote.

This piece of information is 1000% correct.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by ckiel: 1:00pm On Mar 24, 2015
Lionize:

Just visit their website and feel out the form, depending on the type of visa you are applying for, which is determined by your purpose of travel. If you run into any hitch along the line, then ask me. If I don't have any meaningful thing to contribute, then you may have to meet an expert. I had to speak with the US consulate customer care several times (enough credit). The world is so small, and yet so large, these days.

what is there website pls
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Nobody: 1:08pm On Mar 24, 2015
Double post.
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Nobody: 1:09pm On Mar 24, 2015
ckiel:

what is there website pls
. . . . . WWW.USCIS.ORG

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by ckiel: 1:19pm On Mar 24, 2015
modelmike7:
. . . . . WWW.USCIS.ORG

tanx alot

1 Like

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 24, 2015
ckiel:

tanx alot
. . . . You welcome bro. All the very best.
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Onasa22: 1:26pm On Mar 24, 2015
Thanks a lot dear
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by peleson: 1:27pm On Mar 24, 2015
"5. Be confident during the interview and do not sound desperate. America is not heaven. I see some guys who, when asked by that young girl there, who was asking her questions on loudspeaker and rejecting people’s request for visa on loudspeaker, if they have ever travelled outside the country before, nod on the affirmative and start mentioning Kenya, Ghana, bla bla bla. The next thing you would hear from her is “I am sorry you are not qualified for a US visa at this time, details ….” Phew! ogba!"
This one is not clear! Are u saying when ask which country one has gone,the person should mention many other countries or just keep calm n none if actually the person has not travelled

2 Likes

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by numericalguy(m): 1:28pm On Mar 24, 2015
MKO4ever:
I don't really get that number 5

(5. Be confident during the interview and do not sound desperate. America is not heaven. I see some guys who, when asked by that young girl there, who was asking her questions on loudspeaker and rejecting people’s request for visa on loudspeaker, if they have ever travelled outside the country before, nod on the affirmative and start mentioning Kenya, Ghana, bla bla bla. The next thing you would hear from her is “I am sorry you are not qualified for a US visa at this time, details ….” Phew! ogba!)

Is it wrong to mention that you have traveled to Kenya and Ghana?

Abi o! There's nothing wrong in having been to other African countires.

1 Like

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by babamajor: 1:28pm On Mar 24, 2015
Those interviewers at america embassy are psychologist so dey are trained to monitor ur compostor, either u av travled befor or not is not a prerequisite for visa all dey are trying to see is how u Wil respond to d question cus dey beliv u Wil want to lie nd dey Wil read ur lips. Ur quick response to questions make dem beliv u or not. My interview lasted just 15minutes at america embassy in lagos cus one I look at it as a not do or die affairs nd Wen asked a question dat i don't know I jus tel d lady dat am sorry I dnt av an idea. D lady jus looked at me at said ur visa is granted, people around wer like mabe it has bein arranged but btw God nd man no arangrment of any kind.And lastly everything in life is luck nd if God say yes dats it.

17 Likes

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 24, 2015
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Nobody: 2:08pm On Mar 24, 2015
finestiyke:

But it's wrong for her to make her bias/feelings a reason to generalize. Because person like me na only GH and Benin republic I don go!

Compared to UK, naija dey better pass to stay, the only difference na cold weather and oyibo faces.datsall

1 Like

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by manny4life(m): 2:32pm On Mar 24, 2015
cyril83:

Travelling history is a bonus. That black american girl is a witch, she doesn't issue visa.

Lol.. Black Americans girls can be mean sometimes but def not a witch...

Besides, I have a U.S. Passport for sale. Make your best offer grin grin
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by skykenny: 2:51pm On Mar 24, 2015
The very day I went for my US visa interview. At the back of my mind, I was asking my self is this visa to heaven? guy u need to see questions.

2 Likes

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by cyril83(m): 2:59pm On Mar 24, 2015
manny4life:

I asked you to make your best offer, this is how people miss their chance... undecided

For the last time, MAKE YOUR BEST OFFER. grin

Lol!...You need it more than i do.
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by manny4life(m): 3:01pm On Mar 24, 2015
cyril83:

Lol!...You need it more than i do.

Why do you think I need it more? grin
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by cyril83(m): 3:25pm On Mar 24, 2015
manny4life:

Why do you think I need it more? grin

Okay. I make my offer, how much ?
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by since1914(m): 3:59pm On Mar 24, 2015
Lionize:

The security people, ladies especially, try to tax you if you are granted visa. So, if you want to tip, go ahead, but if you don't fell like, no shit will happen. None of them can force you. And, they do it very surreptitiously. They are afraid of being caught, yet they would not refrain from trying entirely.

I was once hassled at the Italian Consulate in Lagos some years ago by those private security guys when I went there to pick up my passport. The way them take rush me, I didn't even have the time to say no. They were asking for money right outside the front door, they didn't even make any effort to code it, almost thought for a moment that it was standard embassy procedure. Had to part with 1 grand.

2 Likes

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by hijodedios: 4:29pm On Mar 24, 2015
MKO4ever:
I don't really get that number 5

(5. Be confident during the interview and do not sound desperate. America is not heaven. I see some guys who, when asked by that young girl there, who was asking her questions on loudspeaker and rejecting people’s request for visa on loudspeaker, if they have ever travelled outside the country before, nod on the affirmative and start mentioning Kenya, Ghana, bla bla bla. The next thing you would hear from her is “I am sorry you are not qualified for a US visa at this time, details ….” Phew! ogba!)

Is it wrong to mention that you have traveled to Kenya and Ghana?

Your going to kenya and ghana to them is not travelling outside. grin grin
If you havent traveled to any european country before then just say NO when they ask if you have traveled outside the country before.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by amacastel: 4:41pm On Mar 24, 2015
Tnks for this infor it will be so useful to me soon
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by unamama(m): 4:41pm On Mar 24, 2015
lovely write up. I av heard so much about how beautiful interviews are with the american embassy in abuja and how difficult it is with d Lagos centre.
I actually had mine in Lagos and the experience was quite different from yours.
interview in Lagos centre is like trying ur luck under probability. I wish to paste my experience here but its gonna take so much space. I will do that in future sha, since I av compiled it in ms word format.
The good news is that it went well and I was given the visa. That was my first and last attempt and my passport is a virgin passport. don't mind the ppl with the believe that VOs do not issue visas to ppl on their 1st attempt. I was told that and I never listened to them cos, I felt I am different. 1ce successful, they will ask u to come back in 3working days to get your passport, so as to enable them put their visa in it.
congrats op for the visa.

13 Likes

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Lionize: 4:51pm On Mar 24, 2015
since1914:

I was once hassled at the Italian Consulate in Lagos some years ago by those private security guys when I went there to pick up my passport. The way them take rush me, I didn't even have the time to say no. They were asking for money right outside the front door, they didn't even make any effort to code it, almost thought for a moment that it was standard embassy procedure. Had to part with 1 grand.

The reason it's better to opt for your visa being dispatched to you.
I had only N1,000 notes that day, the reason I asked my mum. She even regretted not seeing N100 at that time. I boned every other romance to part with cash.
Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Lionize: 4:53pm On Mar 24, 2015
unamama:
lovely write up. I av heard so much about how beautiful interviews are with the american embassy in abuja and how difficult it is with d Lagos centre.
I actually had mine in Lagos and the experience was quite different from yours.
interview in Lagos centre is like trying ur luck under probability. I wish to paste my experience here but its gonna take so much space. I will do that in future sha, since I av compiled it in ms word format.
The good news is that it went well and I was given the visa. That was my first and last attempt and my passport is a virgin passport. don't mind the ppl with the believe that VOs do not issue visas to ppl on their 1st attempt. I was told that and I never listened to them cos, I felt I am different. 1ce successful, they will ask u to come back in 3working days to get your passport, so as to enable them put their visa in it.
congrats op for the visa.

Thanks bro. If you tidy your application well and carry confidence mixed with nonchalance, nothing dey happen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by Nobody: 4:58pm On Mar 24, 2015
Applied for UK visa twice and was denied....... maybe will try this American visa but naija dey sweet oooooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja by cyril83(m): 4:59pm On Mar 24, 2015
manny4life:

I asked you to make your best offer, this is how people miss their chance... undecided

For the last time, MAKE YOUR BEST OFFER. grin

Still waiting for your response, i wouldn't like to miss my chance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dole-Kaina: The Border Town Where Nigeria, Niger And Benin Republics Meet / See The Road I Saw In Orlu Imo State Today - Photos / Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.