Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,831 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time (1646 Views)

Why Dont I See Dealers Selling Cars Like Nissan GTR On Nairaland/ Other Forums / 2016 Best Cars Of The Year Awards In Nigeria / Top 10 Best-selling Cars In The World For 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 24, 2015
As America's auto industry has learned the hard way, "cutting-edge" designs tend to be a double-edged sword. Sometimes the millions of dollars that car companies put into researching and developing new vehicles results in a monumental triumph of reliability and efficiency, like the Ford Fusion Hybrid. Other times, they end up with something like the Ford Edsel, a sedan that was more likely to end up in a junkyard than in someone's garage. To discover why these bright ideas turned into bombs, let's take a look back at the five worst-selling cars in history.
Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by Nobody: 12:42pm On Mar 24, 2015
Cadillac Catera
Worst Production Year
2001 with 9,764 models sold Why Did It Flop?
Advertised as "The Caddy that Zigs," the Catera was an ill-fated attempt to appeal to the younger, sport-sedan demographic. The car, which was simply a rebranded Opel Omega with a V8 stuck in it, suffered from numerous problems during its four-year run. Auto Recalls for Consumers reported many customers having issues. The suspensions were easy to break and expensive to fix, the brakes wore out quickly and a design flaw in the timing belt tensioner made the engines prone to failure. To top it all off, a confusing ad campaign – which featured fashion model Cindy Crawford talking to a duck – made it difficult to figure out what exactly Cadillac was trying to sell in the first place

Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by vjsmiles: 12:43pm On Mar 24, 2015
grin
Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by Nobody: 12:43pm On Mar 24, 2015
Pontiac Aztek
Worst Production Year
2005 with 5,020 models sold Why Did It Flop?
Part SUV, part minivan and part egg carton, the stylistically-confused Pontiac Aztek proved that beauty really is skin deep – at least as far as car buyers are concerned. Though there was nothing wrong with the Aztek mechanically, it was so ugly that it quickly became the punch-line of every auto design joke made in the early 2000s. Bloomberg reported that one GM official even went on record as saying: "We'd fire the guy who greenlighted the Aztek if we could find anyone willing to admit it."

The Aztek has gained notoriety as the vehicle driven by Walter White, the main character of the TV series "Breaking Bad." Unfortunately for the now defunct Pontiac, it's likely the car was chosen as a metaphor for Walt's life: A man who couldn't decide what he wanted to be.

After limping through four years of unremarkable sales, the Aztek was finally put out of its misery in 2005.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by Nobody: 12:45pm On Mar 24, 2015
The Yugo GV
Worst Production Year
1991 with fewer than 4,000 models sold Why Did It Flop?
The Yugo GV is what happens when you try to sell a car designed for poor, third-world Eastern European countries in the United States. Though the GV enjoyed some initial success due to its low price tag, it was simply too riddled with design flaws to be profitable. Anything that could go wrong with the Yugo often did. The engine randomly overheated and stalled, the safety restraints broke and, on occasion, the radio fell out of the dashboard. The failures were so bad that the Listeners of NPR's "Car Talk" recently named the Yugo the "Worst Car of the Millenium."

1 Like

Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 24, 2015
The Lincoln Blackwood
Worst Production Year
2002 with 3,300 models sold Why Did It Flop?
The Lincoln Blackwood was the product of Ford's failed experiment to create a "luxury" pickup truck. Though the Blackwood cost $52,000, it only came in black and lacked many features you'd expect to find on a top-shelf pickup - like four-wheel drive and a large bed. As a result, the sales of the vehicle never even came close to competing with Ford's F-series and the Blackwood was put out of production after a year.

Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by Nobody: 12:47pm On Mar 24, 2015
The Ford Edsel
Worst Production Year
1960 with 2848 models sold Why Did It Flop?
Ford created the Edsel brand in the late 1950s to compete with GM's line of affordable midsized cards. Unfortunately, Edsels never lived up to the hype that Ford created for them. Edsel's signature over-stylized bodies were panned as ugly, their "new" chassis were the same ones used by Lincoln and Mercury models, and their price point was well above the competition. Three years after it launched, the brand was swept into the dustbin as one of the biggest marketing failures in industry history.

Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 24, 2015

2 Likes

Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by billy187(m): 10:31pm On Mar 24, 2015
Heh...my ford focus has a bigger cargo space than the lincoln blackwood.
Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by billy187(m): 10:41pm On Mar 24, 2015
Heh...my ford focus has a bigger cargo space than the lincoln blackwood.

Hmmmm...these crapbuckets have given me an idea for an article! Be right back...meanwhile let me leave all these Yugo jokes right here grin

Yu-go "Beep, Beep, Crunch!"
Yu*go (yoo-go)
n. 1) Small, economical, Yugoslavian-
built automobile.
2) 4x4 hood ornament.
adj. 1) What dosen't happen when you
press the accelerator.
Q. How do you double the value of a
Yugo?
A. Fill the tank with gas! (If it can still
hold liquid.)
A. If not, put a gallon of milk in the
back seat.
Q. What comes with every Yugo User's
Manual?
A. The bus schedule.
What do Yugos have in common with
Ferarris?
- A Ferarri can go from 0 to 60 in 4
seconds.
- A Yugo can go from 0 to 4 in 60
seconds.
Actually, a Yugo CAN accelerate as
fast as a Ferarri,
...if you give it a fast enough running
start, so it clears the cliff's edge...
Q. How do you fix a broken Yugo?
A. 1) Lift off the radiator cap.
2) Push off cliff.
3) and drive brand-new one
underneath radiator cap.
(30-mile/3-day warranty included!)
A man entered an auto parts store...
Man: "I need a windshield wiper blade
for a Yugo."
Clerk: "Well, only if you throw $20 into
the trade."
I once bought a Yugo with a tow
package.
...It was in the front.
Q. Why does a Yugo have rear a
window defroster?
A. To keep your hands warm as you
push it.
Q. What do you call a Yugo at the top
of a big hill?
A. A miracle!
Yugos are now much safer and come
standard with an air bag.
When you sense an impending
accident, start blowing *real fast*
How do you make a Yugo go faster?
A towtruck.
What do you call the shock absorbers
inside a Yugo?
Passengers.
Two guys in a Yugo were arrested last
night in Oakland following
a push-by shooting incident.
The new Yugo has an air bag. When
you sense an impending accident,
start pumping real fast.
A friend went to a dealer the other day
and said, "I'd like a gas
cap for my Yugo." The dealer replied,
"Okay. Sounds like a fair
trade."
I have also said for years that the car
is named because "Yugo,
but it doesn't".
How can you get a Yugo to do 60 miles
an hour?
Push it over a cliff.
A man walks into an auto parts store
and says,
"I'll take a gas cap for a Yugo"
"Sounds like a fair trade", says the
couter worker.
Why do Yugo's have a heater for the
back window?
To keep your hands warm when
pushing.
Why don't Yugo's sustain much
damage in a front-end collision?
The tow truck takes the impact.
How do you double the value of a
Yugo?
Fill the tank!
What is found on the last two pages of
every Yugo owner's manual?
The bus schedule.
What do you call a Yugo with a flat
tire?
Totalled.
Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by Nobody: 10:46pm On Mar 24, 2015
Billy, na wa for your epistles o cheesy
Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by Omachona: 10:59pm On Mar 24, 2015
I was here
Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by Nobody: 11:02pm On Mar 24, 2015
Omachona:
I was here

After your landlord son evict you and another person collect your house you still dey claim you were here? undecided
Well no land/space for sale in this estate. Bye undecided
Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by Readonee35L(m): 11:38pm On Mar 24, 2015
The Aztek grin
Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by Lagusta(m): 12:37am On Mar 25, 2015
Who in his right senses would buy a yoghurt (sorry, Yugo) when a 1991 Honda accord or Toyota camry or even a Volkswagen beetle were fully available??

See as the car ugly pass taribo west..... undecided

1 Like

Re: 5 Worst-selling Cars Of All Time by lonelydora: 7:03am On Mar 25, 2015
I fit land the guy that designed that Yugo car a big slap. WTF?

(1) (Reply)

Bum Shots & Exhaust Sounds: Which Of The CUV Is Most Seducing? / What's The Meaning Of The ABS Light On The Dashboard. / Implications Of Expired Tires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.