Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,219 members, 7,780,411 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:48 PM

Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC (28050 Views)

Buhari's Re-election Could Hasten The Break Up Of Nigeria - Junaid Mohammed / Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees / BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by makzeze: 1:01pm On Mar 24, 2015
In our series of letters from African journalists, Sola Odunfa considers the likelihood of Nigeria's People's Democratic Party (PDP) - which has been in power since the end of military rule in 1999 - losing the forthcoming elections.

This time four years ago, President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan was riding the crest of strong public support.

As a village boy who had braved poverty in a politically and economically repressed environment to rise to the pinnacle of academic and political attainment, he was the poster boy of many Nigerians who regarded him as their soul-mate in the fight for justice and equity in the country's governance.

On top of his personal attainments he was standing on the platform of the most formidable political machine in Nigeria - the PDP.
President Jonathan is seeking his second term in office and is again facing Muhammadu Buhari

When the PDP was formed to contest the elections of 1999, it was on the solid foundation of the northern political elite, the club of retired military generals and the established political leadership in the south - minus only the south-west.

It has since won every national election comfortably, and so confidently that a former chairman of the party, Vincent Ogbulafor said in 2008 that the party would rule Nigeria "for not less than 60 years".

At the 2011 presidential election Mr Jonathan polled 22 million votes against his major rival's 12 million.

It has taken only four years for the glamour to fade from the Jonathan poster.

A lack of security, unbridled official corruption, ethnic favouritism and economic mismanagement have been the culprits.

In that period there have been large-scale defections of PDP state governors and other leaders to the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC), the most prominent being Aminu Tambuwal, speaker of the House of Representatives.

And so the PDP is now a minority party in the house which it had dominated since its inauguration.

This year's presidential election was initially scheduled to be held on 14 February.

If it had been, all indications were that the Jonathan presidency would be history now and the three-times vanquished Gen Muhammadu Buhari would have become president-elect.

Injury time

Fortuitously for the PDP, the election was postponed by six weeks to allow the military to quell the insurgency in the north-east and the electoral commission to improve on its preparation.

At least, that was the official explanation.

It has turned out to be akin to injury time in a football final.

The PDP is firing on all cylinders and President Jonathan is like a desperate Cristiano Ronaldo before a full house at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in Madrid.
The PDP has been campaigning hard in the extra campaign time since 14 February

I have covered all PDP election campaigns since the party was founded but I have not seen it fight this vigorously and viciously. No holds barred.

So much dirt has been hurled at Gen Buhari that the barrel must be empty by now.

My heart bleeds when I read about the alleged huge sums of dollars being distributed among religious leaders and in traditional palaces for mobilisation of support for the president - and I am not comforted when the inevitable denial comes.

Source:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-31996207

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by Nobody: 1:03pm On Mar 24, 2015
Is this really from BBC?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by Acekidc4(m): 1:06pm On Mar 24, 2015
PDPISS will definitely Lose na!!

166 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by 1United1: 1:07pm On Mar 24, 2015
It seems the international community can't wait to see the back of this man. Interesting times indeed.

100 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by ascaris(m): 1:10pm On Mar 24, 2015
He has scored the golden goal in injury time BBC. Jona is winning. Ask Rivers State, Taraba and Adamawa states! and even more will be coming your way tomorrow and Thursday.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by Nobody: 1:12pm On Mar 24, 2015
Shay dem share pvc to english people too? Mad fools, banking on BBC, shay na dem be electorates lipsrsealed

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by phlemzy: 1:20pm On Mar 24, 2015
When your umbrella is torn,drenching becomes inevitable - I. Newton

44 Likes

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by fresh15: 1:26pm On Mar 24, 2015
PDP will not lose power.This is because Jonathan's administration has done marvellously well and continuity is what Nigeria needs at this time.I believe that majority of Nigerians do not want Nigeria to move backward, and therefore will not vote for Buhari.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by viczing(m): 1:27pm On Mar 24, 2015
Keneking:
Is this really from BBC?

Gej till 2019 Because
Buhari is a terrorist
Apc Is bokoharam
Tinubu is a bastard
Osibanjo is a vagabond
Elrufai is a midget
Obasanjo is a monkey
Lier Muhammed is charlatan
Amaechi is a thief
Oshiomole is a scallywag
Kwankwanso is a cow
Ambode is a clown
Aregbesola is a nincompoop
Fashola is a hooligan
Oyegun is vulture
Delemomodu is pig
Igbokwe is a goat
Oby is a concubine
Rochas is a crook

Gej till Buhari dies of high bp

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by POPdecorator: 1:28pm On Mar 24, 2015
Well said bbc

sai buhari

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by Vicjustice: 1:29pm On Mar 24, 2015
[size=40pt]BUHARI![/size] [size=40pt]BUHARI!![/size] [size=40pt]BUHARI!!![/size]

142 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by 190theclown: 1:29pm On Mar 24, 2015
oVER here in newyork we dont have BBC but we have Netflix

do they air the elections too?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by CR77(f): 1:29pm On Mar 24, 2015
PDP will not lose power ontill nigerian vote wise.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by BIBILISTIC(f): 1:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
No way!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by CaptainAmerica1: 1:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
So much dirt has been hurled at Gen Buhari that the barrel must be empty by now.

My heart bleeds when I read about the alleged huge sums of dollars being distributed among religious leaders and in traditional palaces for mobilisation of support for the president - and I am not comforted when the inevitable denial comes.

Truth.

Vote APC

Vote CHANGE

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2242460_fffk_jpeg6106082908254eaea0f79e33d1b368b9

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by emmykk(m): 1:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
Goodluck till the day dad,mum and kids will sit together and be watch blue films as if they are watching nollywood

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by bigv(m): 1:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
Anything is possible, I repeat ANYTHING!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by yuzjet(m): 1:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
Does this look like a report from BBC?

Please, vote intelligently.

Gooluck all the way. Please if it's not Goodluck, it's badluck.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
The PDP might lose.....there is a strong opposition for one.

Still.....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by Safari29: 1:31pm On Mar 24, 2015
CHANGE is inevitable

even PDP dont use POWER anymore, if you dont believe me check the pix below

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by Nobody: 1:31pm On Mar 24, 2015
No!!
Rather Apc will lose Lagos, imo and Rivers state

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by steppin: 1:31pm On Mar 24, 2015
PDP can't and won't lose.
There's a lot at stake in this election.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by oathman(m): 1:31pm On Mar 24, 2015
What they fail to realise is that the name BUHARI is no more an opposition, it is now a MOVEMENT. We know he may not be the best replacement, but we want them out of office, 16years in office is enough for one party to rule the nation, give other parties chance. I remember vividly when they openly declare that they ll rule this nation for 40years. the movement starts now #REVOLUTION #MOVEMENT

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by Nobody: 1:31pm On Mar 24, 2015
He be like say Gej's achievement don finish cos is been long since he inaugurated a project last.
If you deceive me once,I was cheated.But if it repeats itself again then am a fool.
WE HAVE DECIDED.
#NEVERAGAIN shall we be deceived.
Sai Baba wa.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 24, 2015
Who is change??
BUHARI!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by bastien: 1:32pm On Mar 24, 2015
Nope APC will,after losing Presidential election and Lagos governor election

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by BossTtdiamonds(m): 1:32pm On Mar 24, 2015
Yes they will... The power was never in their hands, the Masses owns the power.. and we intend to replace them..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by Meringe(m): 1:32pm On Mar 24, 2015
My happiness with this election is the coming together of the opposition party to give PDP a chase . Now, any body in power will never take Nigerians for granted.

If you don't do well, you will be kicked out.

I commend tinubu , though he's corrupt like his colleagues in PDP but I give him an applause for his contribution for the changing tides in the political process in Nigeria.

To all other persons who contributed to form APC, kudos to you.

To PDP, its not business as usual. You have to man up and do the right thing. You have the opportunity to change Nigeria but your party economic policy is to enrich the few and make majority poorer so that you can easily manipulate them. It is still morning to change.

God bless Nigeria.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by sleekp1: 1:32pm On Mar 24, 2015
[size=15pt]Written by Sola Odunfa in Lagos, what did we expect from her?[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by iphex(m): 1:33pm On Mar 24, 2015
Nonsense angry angry
Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by Aare2050(m): 1:33pm On Mar 24, 2015
Oya shoki
Shoki na today
Shoki till saturday
Shoki for jona
Shoki for sambo
Fire for buhari
Fire for osinbanjo
Fire on liers
Transformation continues
I love my jonah

1 Like

Re: Nigeria election: Could the PDP lose power? - BBC by Nobody: 1:33pm On Mar 24, 2015
[size=15pt]
I really can't wait.. Either way, #GODWIN
[/size]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tinubu Is Not Sponsoring #ENDSARS Protesters – Spokesman / Only Osinbajo Can Change Narrative Of Governance — RCCG / Femi Fani-Kayode And His Wife, Precious Chikwendu Loved Up In New Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.