Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,882 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:47 AM

My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming (31783 Views)

The Biggest Onion Market In Nigeria In Kebbi State (Photos) / My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) / Cabbage Grows Well In Southwest Nigeria . See Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by ireneidiva(f): 6:40am On Mar 25, 2015
arsetalks:
Impressive OP. Hopefully the new government will encourage people like you who want to farm instead of FORCING us to depend on oil absolutely.
Who forced you to depend on petroleum?

2 Likes

Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by ade2008(m): 6:41am On Mar 25, 2015
Good job. Keep it up
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by ireneidiva(f): 6:42am On Mar 25, 2015
drake2:
Am impressed by your post. But first, I know it is still dry up there. Quite evident from your soil conditions; how do you provide moisture?

Is there any form of mechanization in place to enable you cultivate more land area with huge reduction in drudgery?

Agriculture actually is a Science and without the mastery of the Science and Tech in it, may just be a futile fantasy. ( There maybe no difference btw you and our Parents).

Your Onions and Cabbage need specific Agro-inputs to have a successful productivity statistics. Have you taken care of these? So you don't run away next season?

I encourage you to join this group for technical and capacity building support: FARA( Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa).

By the way, I hope you have sold your onions and cabbage before going into this cultivation? They say, find the buyer before you produce.

Goodluck!

NB.
Sorry Sir, may I add more? Your land preparation method is not quite encouraging. It seems u swept the surface with APC brooms. (lol.). That was not necessary.

You need debris, dead leaves and twigs to provide much needed organic matter and to also retain moisture from your wetting effort in addition to keeping weeds away.

Ayam sorry for all the criticism!
Its just a small farm for christ sake!
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by anonimi: 7:03am On Mar 25, 2015
emmyz09:
Its located in katsina its just a small starting

Congrats for taking the first bold step to becoming a big business.
Remember that big businesses like Bill Gates' Microsoft started in his father's garage. I know a very big Nigerian company that started in the dining room of the owner some 20 years ago.

Our country needs more agri-preneurs like you and not those who are waiting for a job that will simply give them a salary but NOT looking for work sad
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by Mars88(m): 7:37am On Mar 25, 2015
emmyz09:
Just started this little farm and i would be updating and posting pictures as work proceeds to encourage other intending farmers.
ready to tender a price for your harvest
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by Nobody: 7:37am On Mar 25, 2015
Ewa na beans o eh! Ewa na beans o ewa!
Cocoa na chocolate eh
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by FarmTech(m): 8:15am On Mar 25, 2015
drake2:
Am impressed by your post. But first, I know it is still dry up there. Quite evident from your soil conditions; how do you provide moisture?

Is there any form of mechanization in place to enable you cultivate more land area with huge reduction in drudgery?

Agriculture actually is a Science and without the mastery of the Science and Tech in it, may just be a futile fantasy. ( There maybe no difference btw you and our Parents).

Your Onions and Cabbage need specific Agro-inputs to have a successful productivity statistics. Have you taken care of these? So you don't run away next season?

I encourage you to join this group for technical and capacity building support: FARA( Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa).

By the way, I hope you have sold your onions and cabbage before going into this cultivation? They say, find the buyer before you produce.

Goodluck!

NB.
Sorry Sir, may I add more? Your land preparation method is not quite encouraging. It seems u swept the surface with APC brooms. (lol.). That was not necessary.

You need debris, dead leaves and twigs to provide much needed organic matter and to also retain moisture from your wetting effort in addition to keeping weeds away.

Criticism is what he needs, not just 'move on'. Yes, leaves and twigs will be very helpful to cover the soil. It's called mulch and it really boost production. As for the use of hoes and local implement, he can use it for a start. It is better to start little than to wait until you have access to tractor. In that case u may never start.

4 Likes

Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by joeace2020(m): 8:54am On Mar 25, 2015
chymystique:
smileyVe always wondered what an onion and cabbage farm looks like... am impressed.. Jisike emmyz09 smiley

uv never been to the north i guess... those people love their veggies
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by joeace2020(m): 8:57am On Mar 25, 2015
Saraben:
you no go run for election?? @OP you dey katsina dey plant onions leave hustle o,life before hustle
SMH

1 Like

Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by lolalovegrace: 9:02am On Mar 25, 2015
I absolutely love to see our people diversifying and going into non conventional career paths. Wonderful you are starting small, with lessons learned you can expand. Kudos!
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by nifeseun(f): 9:46am On Mar 25, 2015
Am impressed, can't wait to see how it grows, the seeds and how its harvested, neva seen onion nd cabbage farm before, pls, post pix as it grows...god bless ur hustle..

1 Like

Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by joelenesleek(f): 10:17am On Mar 25, 2015
almostFamous:
I hope ur onions doesn't cause excessive tearing of the eyes?

God bless ur hustle.
when you cut an onion, to avoid tearing of your eyes. Chew gum or move your mouth like you have an invincible gum.
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by Nobody: 10:26am On Mar 25, 2015
Saraben:
you no go run for election?? @OP you dey katsina dey plant onions leave hustle o,life before hustle

Lol my sister. Me sef don run ooo
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by teedavies(m): 10:33am On Mar 25, 2015
emmyz09:
Just started this little farm and i would be updating and posting pictures as work proceeds to encourage other intending farmers.
I just relocated to katsina and I am also interested in poultry farming and I don't know much about the terrain.can you put me through please?
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 25, 2015
joelenesleek:
when you cut an onion, to avoid tearing of your eyes. Chew gum or move your mouth like you have an invincible gum.
yea..I read also that u shld breathe thru ur mouth,this one works too
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by mankand(m): 10:40am On Mar 25, 2015
@Op, contact me let us do some business together, I have 3 acres of fertile land in Ogun state, let us explore some opportunities together
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by gerona: 11:20am On Mar 25, 2015
I love Nairaland!!! May God bless your hustle.
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by billyG(m): 2:49pm On Mar 25, 2015
Nice 1 Pls dnt 4get 2 vote GMB2015 he is a confirm farmer he will surely givs u real agric loan.
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by emmyz09(m): 2:53pm On Mar 26, 2015
well since am starting small and there are markets for the cabbage and onions here.
dont forget you carry out feasibility studies before you commence any venture if it is for business. also am starting small to gather the experience enough to carry it out on a large scale.

pix will be coming in from time to time.
thanks for all the encouragement may God grant us all peace with our heart desires.
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by emmyz09(m): 3:14pm On Mar 26, 2015
drake2:

Goodluck!

NB.

good comments, i appreciate all said,
i just started the project the normal way it is been carried out here in this place, also i have gathered droppings from a friends farm for manure, since the plants were transplanted i havent used the manure until they are up and growing. i use pumping machine to get water to where the site is located and it is quiet a distance but its all about the experience and starting with time and season i would improve and do better.

also the FARA site i was there but i didnt see any link that i can use in registering or joining the forum but i learnt some stuff there too.

also pls lets keep politics out of this thread and discuss what affects us positively as possible.

Thanks all.

2 Likes

Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by emmyz09(m): 3:24pm On Mar 26, 2015
teedavies:

I just relocated to katsina and I am also interested in poultry farming and I don't know much about the terrain.can you put me through please?

am no too long here too but for your info there is a serious bird flu case here i would advice you settle in proper and get to meet some farmers i can introduce you to one.
Best Regards.
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by KingSango(m): 8:17pm On Mar 26, 2015
Greetings,

I'm happy you are venturing off into this path of feeding yourself and earning a living. However I'm surprised you're using this old row method of farming over the raised bed method of mini-farming which is more suitable for your small needs. The raised bed concentrates the plants in a tighter formation, take up less space in your acreage, yields more crop in a smaller area than the old row farming method. It is easier to make a 40 by 3 raised bed. The small width will make it easier to tend to the plants from one side without having to step over or walk around to the other side to reach far way plants. I could post some pictures of the raised bed and how they look but I'm sure you've seen them. If not then let me know I can post some pictures with instructions, along with some onion plants in the bed so you can see them too. Let me know.

Feed a nation is possible with the modern mini-farming method that use the raised bed vs the row method. From an area of 9 raised beds each 40x3 square feet, from which 15 lbs of food can be obtained once a week, you can also utilize raised stalks for some plants that need height for growth. But a 9 bed area can be attended to by one person in an 8 hour period. You can divide the work schedule between two persons say teens, then they each have 4 hour work schedules for the 9 bed area. The other 4 hours can be spent in a small school teaching English and other disciplines adjacent to the farming area or nearby walking distance. Agriculture can be taught, herb, animal husbanding and the science of permaculture. I've thought of how you can divide a 200 acre areas into so many teens like a Corps group, students would farm plants and herbs. The food crop area could produce literally 100s of lbs of food per week that could feed an entire community. Such operations could be set up all over the country using a camp based methods utilizing organized teens in Corps fashion. Anyone interesting in hearing more on this should post up so I can answer questions on specific designs on how to set up the administrative part. Love, Sango.
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by teedavies(m): 9:55pm On Mar 26, 2015
emmyz09:

am no too long here too but for your info there is a serious bird flu case here i would advice you settle in proper and get to meet some farmers i can introduce you to one.
Best Regards.
Thanks bro, am also aware of the bird flu case, this is my number kindly send me an sms: 09031223481.
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by teedavies(m): 8:04pm On Apr 06, 2015
emmyz09:

Best Regards.
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by alakara(m): 11:57am On Apr 08, 2015
KingSango:
Greetings,

I'm happy you are venturing off into this path of feeding yourself and earning a living. However I'm surprised you're using this old row method of farming over the raised bed method of mini-farming which is more suitable for your small needs. The raised bed concentrates the plants in a tighter formation, take up less space in your acreage, yields more crop in a smaller area than the old row farming method. It is easier to make a 40 by 3 raised bed. The small width will make it easier to tend to the plants from one side without having to step over or walk around to the other side to reach far way plants. I could post some pictures of the raised bed and how they look but I'm sure you've seen them. If not then let me know I can post some pictures with instructions, along with some onion plants in the bed so you can see them too. Let me know.

Feed a nation is possible with the modern mini-farming method that use the raised bed vs the row method. From an area of 9 raised beds each 40x3 square feet, from which 15 lbs of food can be obtained once a week, you can also utilize raised stalks for some plants that need height for growth. But a 9 bed area can be attended to by one person in an 8 hour period. You can divide the work schedule between two persons say teens, then they each have 4 hour work schedules for the 9 bed area. The other 4 hours can be spent in a small school teaching English and other disciplines adjacent to the farming area or nearby walking distance. Agriculture can be taught, herb, animal husbanding and the science of permaculture. I've thought of how you can divide a 200 acre areas into so many teens like a Corps group, students would farm plants and herbs. The food crop area could produce literally 100s of lbs of food per week that could feed an entire community. Such operations could be set up all over the country using a camp based methods utilizing organized teens in Corps fashion. Anyone interesting in hearing more on this should post up so I can answer questions on specific designs on how to set up the administrative part. Love, Sango.

pls can u expatiate further
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by emmyz09(m): 9:07am On Apr 10, 2015
more on the farm today have been a little busy with my job at the office.

but see pix of the latest development

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by dav8id(m): 11:11am On Apr 10, 2015
good start..very soon i will start mine too but mine will be MORINGA PLANT.
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by FarmTech(m): 9:54pm On Apr 10, 2015
Keep it up bro.
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by stonecoldcafe: 5:45pm On Jun 19, 2015
Any update?
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by emmyz09(m): 3:20pm On Jul 13, 2015
stonecoldcafe:
Any update?

plenty challenges encountered but i finally left the farm as heavy flood destroyed all me efforts

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 13, 2015
emmyz09:

plenty challenges encountered but i finally left the farm as heavy flood destroyed all me efforts
Hard luck
Re: My Little Onion And Cabbage Farming by stonecoldcafe: 4:22pm On Jul 13, 2015
emmyz09:

Wow! You learn with every experience I guess. All the best in your next...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N-Power Beneficiary Starts Sugar Cane Farm With N-Power Stipend (Photos) / Best Cassava Production Plan To Help You Make Money / Groundnut Pyramid In Nigeria In 1970 (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.